Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not at all surprised that some hostages have reported being poorly treated. Around 15,000 Palestinians have been killed in the last month, how could there not be people guarding the hostages who react to this fact? I have never claimed that no Israeli hostage is being poorly treated, but we are coming from a situation where on the 8th of October Emily Hands father expressed being pleased to learn his daughter was dead because it would have been better than what she would have suffered had she been taken hostage. I've no doubt she did suffer, how could any child not having been taken from their family as happened to her, but, the extent of her suffering described in pro-Israel publications is that she lost her voice having been told by the hostage takers to not make noise while she was in captivity

Consistently, as each group of hostages have been released, there's been reports of them having said themselves that they were well treated. This is a fact. The videos that showed the return of hostages showed hostages who seemed well taken care of and to have had some sort of a connection with their captors. Again, these are facts. And that is what I have commented on.

In parallel with this has ben reports and videos of Palestinian hostages and their families and how they have been treated. This has included captors having had limbs broken, families having been warned to not celebrate the return of their loved ones and some of them beaten as a warning. Once again, these are facts.

Not to mention that as Israel has released Palestinian hostages, they have captured more Palestinians nearly exactly on a 1:1 basis which I'd say even their most ardent supporters wouldn't pretend is an accident.

I've no idea what you're trying to do here. You seem affronted that someone has to have the audacity to advocate for the Palestinians who are suffering and is appalled at Israels continued genocidal approach to them.

Which post?

You guys are going to have to learn that just responding to me and claiming I am wrong, does not make it so.

Will we have any marches or demonstrations against this war crime?

You tell us. Are you going to arrange anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Immigration to Palestine prior to WW1 was blocked by Ottoman policy. The Jewish population of the area in 1900 was about 4%, Christians about 11% and the rest Moslems or "Ottomans" per the census.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Did Hamas deliberately target innocent civilians?

Post edited by Hey boy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,368 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You can't keep your story straight.

This is what you wrote earlier on the thread:

That post, is another piece of evidence, and there have been many, that show that Hamas have been treating the hostages in a much more humane way than the media and Israel/US said they would.

the evidence of how Israeli hostages have been treated is close to 100% the opposite of how Israel said they would be treated. And it is another piece of evidence to show how the narrative that Israel is trying to present is consistently flawed. That's just a simple fact.

Now it is is

"I'm not at all surprised that some hostages have reported being treated poorly."

When earlier you were dismissive of the possibility of the hostages speaking under duress, or speaking publicly out of concern for unreleased hostages.

Talking of how released hostages seem to you are not facts. Those are your comments on events. You are misrepresenting your interpretation of the footage as a fact. It is no such thing. It is your opinion, which you are entitled to, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Then you double down on the error in your post, by jumping from that non-fact to declare another non-fact about the Israeli narrative.

I think posters can judge for themselves the reliability of your posts on the subject of hostage treatment, or what you declare to be 'facts'.

Being beaten with electrical cables is "being treated poorly" ???

Poorly?

Being beaten with electrical cables is being treated in a humane way is it?

And is that a fact? Or is it only a fact that it has been reported?

And note the phrasing "reported poorly".

But when someone queries whether footage of an reported incident is verified as being from the current conflict, they have a "strange mind".

Speaks volumes about the double standards demonstrated in the posts, your opinions are declared as facts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Presumably not because he/she is consistent and does not march for one side or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

Yes it was but they still arrived there. Look at the link you posted. The influx of Zionist money and technology increased living standards in the region and caused a high level of inward migration.

This is from the Jewish Virtual Library so I expect it is putting a positive spin on Zionism but the data and quotes seem to be accurate.

Quote:

A Population Boom

As Hussein foresaw, the regeneration of Palestine, and the growth of its population, came only after Jews returned in massive numbers. The Jewish population increased by 470,000 between World War I and World War II while the non-Jewish population rose by 588,000. In fact, the permanent Arab population increased 120 percent between 1922 and 1947 to more than 1.3 million.

This rapid growth was a result of several factors. One was immigration from neighboring states – constituting 37 percent of the total immigration to pre-state Israel – by Arabs who wanted to take advantage of the higher standard of living the Jews had made possible. The Arab population also grew because of the improved living conditions created by the Jews as they drained malarial swamps and brought improved sanitation and health care to the region. Thus, for example, the Muslim infant mortality rate fell from 201 per thousand in 1925 to 94 per thousand in 1945 and life expectancy rose from 37 years in 1926 to 49 in 1943.

The Arab population increased the most in cities with large Jewish populations that had created new economic opportunities. From 1922-­1947, the non-Jewish population increased 290 percent in Haifa, 131 percent in Jerusalem, and 158 percent in Jaffa. The growth in Arab towns was more modest: 42 percent in Nablus, 78 percent in Jenin and 37 percent in Bethlehem.

Jewish Land Purchases

Despite the growth in their population, the Arabs continued to assert they were being displaced. The truth is from the beginning of World War I, part of Palestine’s land was owned by absentee landlords who lived in CairoDamascus and Beirut. About 80 percent of the Palestinian Arabs were debt-ridden peasants, semi-nomads and Bedouins.

Jews went out of their way to avoid purchasing land in areas where Arabs might be displaced. They sought land that was largely uncultivated, swampy, cheap and, most important, without tenants. In 1920, Labor Zionist leader David Ben-Gurion expressed his concern about the Arab fellahin, whom he viewed as “the most important asset of the native population.” Ben-Gurion said, “under no circumstances must we touch land belonging to fellahs or worked by them.” He advocated helping liberate them from their oppressors. “Only if a fellah leaves his place of settlement,” Ben-Gurion added, “should we offer to buy his land, at an appropriate price.”

It was only after the Jews had bought all this available land that they began to purchase cultivated land. Many Arabs were willing to sell because of the migration to coastal towns and because they needed money to invest in the citrus industry.

When John Hope Simpson arrived in Palestine in May 1930, he observed: “They [Jews] paid high prices for the land, and in addition they paid to certain of the occupants of those lands a considerable amount of money which they were not legally bound to pay.”

In 1931, Lewis French conducted a survey of landlessness and eventually offered new plots to any Arabs who had been “dispossessed.” British officials received more than 3,000 applications, of which 80 percent were ruled invalid by the Government’s legal adviser because the applicants were not landless Arabs. This left only about 600 landless Arabs, 100 of whom accepted the Government land offer.

In April 1936, a new outbreak of Arab attacks on Jews was instigated by a Syrian guerrilla named Fawzi al-Qawukji, the commander of the Arab Liberation Army. By November, when the British finally sent a new commission headed by Lord Peel to investigate, 89 Jews had been killed and more than 300 wounded.

The Peel Commission’s report found that Arab complaints about Jewish land acquisition were baseless. It pointed out that “much of the land now carrying orange groves was sand dunes or swamp and uncultivated when it was purchased....there was at the time of the earlier sales little evidence that the owners possessed either the resources or training needed to develop the land.” Moreover, the Commission found the shortage was “due less to the amount of land acquired by Jews than to the increase in the Arab population.” The report concluded that the presence of Jews in Palestine, along with the work of the British Administration, had resulted in higher wages, an improved standard of living and ample employment opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Zionism did not start until 1897, by that stage the Muslim population had increased from 300k to 500k whilst the Jewish population had increased from about 10k to 20k, so Zionist Jews had very little to do with population growth. I asked before, but what is the evidence that Muslim immigration was a direct result of Jewish immigration?

I also did not argue that Muslims were living in the area since antiquity, to me that is irrelevant. Christians had also lived in the area Palestine since the first century and in bigger numbers than the Jewish population. Trying to claim entitlement based on having lived somewhere 2000 years previously is not realistic or pragmatic to me. Yes the population of Palestine was small, but again that is pretty irrelevant as the whole place is not much bigger than an Irish province. Of course Jewish people had a right to emigrate to that region and they did so before Zionism, in most cases migration happens naturally. However, that was not the case with Zionism which encouraged and paid for people to move to the region with the stated aim on creating a new state there. That is a very different World to natural migration and I cannot think of anything like that happened elsewhere other than colonial projects.

Palestine was not to be part of the Syrian mandate, the French wanted the Syrian mandate and the British wanted Palestine, they actually had a stand-off about this due to disagreements about other territories and the French were threatening to have Palestine as part of their Mandate, but they got it sorted out. The British wanted Palestine for proximity to the Suez canal and to enable the Zionists to carry out their project. When the crap started, they realised the mess they had created. Now the state the Arabs had been promised by the British was unclear, but there was an assumption by the Arabs that it would be all of Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan. But like I said before, promises were made that simply could not be kept.

Zionism is not solely to blame for the current situation as the Great Powers of the WW1 period, in particular Britain and later the UN bear a great responsibility for the mess, but without Zionism, there would be no Israel in the Middle East.

• Advertisement

Zionism didn't start until 1897 in that the official movement wasn't founded, but Jews were seeking to move there long before that and did so, with their money, following the Tanzimat reforms and the Ottoman Land Law of 1858 which allowed Russian Jews to buy land in Palestine and move there.

I agree that historical ancestral claims don't give legitimacy to one side or the other, biblical claims even less so. That's the point I made in the post you quoted. Given the wars that took place in the region from 1900 onward, and continue to this day, do you really think that the presence or absence of Israel would have a material difference on the levels of conflict there?

Fair enough, but they are a far left organisation who publish conspiracy theories, are pro-Russian and support the authoritarian government in China and has been strongly supportive of the Syrian government and has been classified by the US Institute of Strategic Studies as  "the "most prolific spreader of disinformation" on matters concerning Syria".

That's a pretty low bar you set for yourself.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

So he had to watch a horrific video and had a gun pointed at him, and Emily had to speak in a low voice.

Remember, what we were told was capture would be fate worse than death.

Meanwhile Palestinian kids the same age are having their limbs broken by Israeli security staff.

I know people on here facilitate the eternal victimhood that Israel leaders and supporters have shown they hold above all else, but you have to acknowledge the disparity between what they said was happening, and what has been shown to have been happening.

And meanwhile, the death toll for children in Palestine looks to have passed 7000.

“So he had to watch a horrific video and had a gun pointed at him, and Emily had to speak in a low voice. 

Remember, what we were told was capture would be fate worse than death.”

With the greatest of respect until ALL of the hostages are released I think you, me, we should be cautious about being too optimistic about their ‘treatment’ at the hands of terrorists who wouldn’t think twice about killing them were it not for their value in the present context.

There were other matters raised in previous comments as well, such as weight loss, withholding of medication etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

748 pages in and this thread is all about onemanupship at this stage. This side is worse than this side. Meh. Leaders and organisational structures on both sides are absolute scum with no regard for human life. I hope they rot in hell (if it exists) for eternity.

The Ottomans were a colonial power. The Arab Muslims were aa colonial power before them. The Romans before them.

"I'm not at all surprised that some hostages have reported being poorly treated. Around 15,000 Palestinians have been killed in the last month, how could there not be people guarding the hostages who react to this fact?" 

Are you suggesting that the good people of Hamas would have behaved better if the IDF hadn't killed as many Palestinian Arabs during their ground offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Lets not kid ourselves here, If he/she was truly consistent they would not post selectively condemning murder- nor would they use murders as an attempt to score points. Of course the poster will deny that's what they are at. Anyone who isn't biased will not be deceived by their shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not trying to defend Hamas for a moment, but on balance, it seems hostages were treated far better than anyone anticipated. No indications of violence or brutality / torture or solitary confinement. I believe Emily for example was allowed to stay with her friend and her friend's mother for the duration of her captivity.

Good people of Hamas are your words, not mine.

How likely do you think it is that the death and damage inflicted by Israel would have had no impact on the mindset of Palestinians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,368 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No indications? I don't know how you can state that if you've been reading the thread for last 24 hours.

For starters, there's a released witness saying that Israeli hostages were beaten with electrical cables.

Is making a 12 year old watch executions videos at gunpoint an example of treating someone "far better than anyone anticipated" ?

And if hostages were mis-treated very badly and abused, there is possibility they will be just be disappeared, so they can never tell their tale.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Given the savagery that took place on October 7th, it's logical that the people who were capable of carrying this out would then also be capable of mistreating hostages. That said It wouldn't be a total shock to me if they are actually some individuals capable of acts of kindness, even within in an organisation whose ethos is vile. So I don't find it hard to believe that some hostages may well have been treated well, but i would expect most of them did not get a big bowl of Cornflakes and a couple of croissants every morning from their smiling and friendly captors .

While hostages have a value to their captors, they are generally treated well. When they lose their value; not so much.

You're really not good at answering questions, are you?

Question got the answer it deserved.

I'm not here to give you Yes or No answers so you can then treat them as categorical/unchanging/definitive for every instance of every individual within a now and in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

(67) 81 Palestinians killed in occupied West Bank since October 7, health ministry says (cnn.com)

Are Israeli lives more important than Palestinian lives?

Both sides are at it only the IDF have the better fire power.

Yes suggested that there was a link between the treatment of the Hamas hostages and the civilian deaths as a result of the IDF's offensive in Gaza. I just asked you if you thought the hostages would have been treated differently if the IDF hadn't launched their offensive. I'm not asking for a yes or no answer, I'm asking for your opinion.

Israeli lives are more important to Israelis, Irish lives are more important to Irish people, etc. That's just part of the human condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement

I just asked you if you thought the hostages would have been treated differently if the IDF hadn't launched their offensive

Which hostages are you talking about, the ones that were treated well, or the ones that were treated not well?

Advertisement