Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

They have to pay for their extension of the cafe somehow! That's crazy expensive. Couldn't justify paying that price either.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Tried Proby's kitchen (from the people who have Liberty Grill and Gusto) for lunch today. The cafe section with weekday lunch menu is recently opened. Think they've being doing weekend breakfast and brunch on the terrace and for delivery for a while. I really like the menu options. A bit different with something for most tastes I'd say. I had the quiche with added grain salad and it was really good. Good and friendly service. The room is comfortable enough and was lovely and warm today even though it's a bit of a big space. Their brunch menu looks interesting so I'd go back to try that on a weekend. Hope they make a go of it. Prices are a bit on the steep side but par for the course these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I met a few friends there for lunch last week, with a shared starter between two of us plus a main course & a Palestinian coffee it came to just under €30 for me. Much as I like the place doubt I'll be heading back there for lunch anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

I've tried their falafel wrap twice in the last month. Both times it was a takeaway. It is not worth the €14.50 I paid. I won't be returning. Good luck to them.

We had our wedding reception there this year (~30 people) and to be fair to Jacobs it was 5 stars in every area, probably the best restaurant experience I've had in Ireland. I don't believe that's rose-tinted glasses because of the day that was in it.

I'd been there 4 or 5 times before and it was very mixed; particularly the service.

Strangely enough, the last time I was there before the wedding was maybe 3 years ago and the menu had not changed much (that's not a good thing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is the assembly rooms that someone was confusing with Jacobs.

It seems that it was a cinema but not, as I suggested, a Turkish baths.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A decent Beef kebab in Ignite Charcoal Grill, Washington street.

€15. Recommend.

That ever changing Chinese vape shop/Chinese supermarket/sometimes restaurant at the top of Paul Street where Natural Foods was had a Korean restaurant upstairs, now. Haven't tried it yet.

That’s a high price for what is effectively half a plate of food.

It is I suppose :) Istanbul is still my favourite.

• Advertisement

I fear what a full plate of food would look like if that's, effectively, half a plate!

The Kyber grill and Café opened today. I'm not quite clear what they will be serving. Guy mentioned grill and different Asian food, including Indian and Pakistani.

Coffee and pastries in the mornings and early afternoons.

I'm not trying to get my hopes up, but have been waiting for some time to see what happens there... might check it out this weekend and will report back, if even for the coffee.

The pitta takes up more than half the plate.

It's €15 for half a cup of rice, 2 meat sticks, some hummus and a very small salad. €15 is a lot of money for that amount of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I think this thread could do with being split in two sometimes. There is almost an ideological divide between people who think good food is a massive feed at a low price, and those who think good food is a smaller portion of high quality.

I am absolutely sure the size of the meal could be increased by cutting some corners. Rest assured, no one in cork is making a fortune off kebabs.

Theres no point in having the same philosophical discussion again about the difference.

On my part, it's not that portion size = value/quality.I appreciate that isn't going to come across in my posts.

For the record, I love kebabs. Also, Istanbul is my favourite.

My point was that it was effectively €3 of food selling for €15 (yes, I know there are also overheads in the running of a restaurant). I don't see what they could have done to the food to warrant that price.

I previously posted about having eaten from Izz Cafe twice; their Falafel wrap is huge, and it's €14.50. In that instance, the quality in no way justifies the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There is always a balance between quantity - quality - and service ,

No one is going to compare a 12 buck kebab in istanbul to a maincourse in for eg pigalle , which is different again to even good pub food/ gastro pub ,

You pays your money you takes your choice ,

Ill happily try ignite - if its decent kebab i'll be thrilled -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I don't think I've ever seen Istanbul so busy, but full of families with young children, nice people. No drunkards at this time, except for me perhaps..

Great food and excellent value.

Hard to argue with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

They're on Just Eat. Seems to be your average curry house.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

No prices on Quinlan's menu outside the door. Very annoying. Who do they think they are? 5 Star Michelin spot in Paris?

Was starved but said feck that and walked away. Why would you bother.

I noticed that some time ago, too. It's hard to figure out the reasoning behind it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went to Bocelli tonight for dinner with a few friends and I have to say it was a really bad experience. The place was rammed and I genuinely mean that, you couldn't move. We were a party of 5 and were seated at a small table for 4 down the back next to two large groups. The noise levels were so bad that you couldn't have a conversation and had to shout to be heard. At one table someone had to go to the bathroom so about six people had to get out of their seats so that she could get out and again when she came back. We left after the main course as we just couldn't stick it. I did complain to the manager on the way out and he just stated that we could have asked to move tables but there wasn't a free table in the place so I've no idea how that would have worked. I firmly believe that they were well over legal capacity and whilst I'm aware that the hospitality industry is not in great shape at the moment and this is the season where they can make a bit of money this was just a stretch too far. I dread to think what would have happened in the event of a fire. Food was ok, I didn't particularly like mine but I'm not a fan of Italian food anyway so I'm not best placed to judge and the others liked theirs. Waitress was nice and to be honest I felt a bit sorry for the staff as they were run off their feet.

Definitely would not return.

When you look at how many people can legally be allowed in a bar or club, standing, I can't imagine any restraunt with people seated at tables being over their legal limit.

But, yeah, being crammed is is, usually no fun. Reminds me of Eco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Eco would be positively spacious in comparison. A couple of our party had been there (Bocelli) on several occasions and said that they had definitely put in a lot of extra tables. Hard to explain but it definitely looked like it was over capacity.

Post edited by Cork Lass on

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I’ve a craving for a Christmas sandwich today. Has anyone tried any of them around town? Paperboys, Grumpy Baker, Griolladh. Am I missing anywhere?

Certainly over capacity for customer comfort, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Where did you go in the end??? I had the one from Sonny's deli during the week and it was delicious but that was no good to you today. Put me in mind to try a few more though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

People are going to think I either own it or work there at this rate but another great trip to pigalle Friday night! I can never fault the place. Everything is divine there and the service is so good.

Advertisement