Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭dmc17

No catch. It's free delivery over 120. Have used them a few times. Delivery by DPD and always arrived within 2 days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The catch is that you may get charged Irish duty and VAT by Revenue if they intercept the delivery, wiping out any savings. Unlike ordering from the EU it's not actually smuggling (though Revenue says you should contact them before ordering), but shipments from the UK are more likely to be intercepted than from the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The catch is that it's smuggling and you are liable to have import duty and vat plus charges added or you may have your shipment seized.

I'd be particularly wary of smuggling from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

aye well thats it, I wasn't sure as they have a dublin registered address also on their website...anyway i just buy my scotch in the North

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Those british companies with .ie domain names can be so misleading. I was buying composting worms from what I thought was an Irish site. Only time I ever got a customs letter. Paid it straight away and the worms were still alive on arrival, which was my worry. Feels like bad form from the company, who you'd imagine know the rules better than the average consumer. But I guess it's all about sales

• Advertisement

There's usually a red flag in the Terms & Conditions saying "We just ship the stuff from the UK and what happens to it after that is your responsibility."

Aye true enough. What i meant is that they have an actual address in Dublin:

Buy hey ho, heres' the disclaimer!

It's peculiar that they'd have an EU address but not ship from there.

It's one of those convenience business addresses that's shared with dozens of other companies. They wouldn't have any staff actually working there, and Georgian Dublin is a bit short of space for bonded warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Even if shipping from EU, would still attract customs duty, although arguably maybe somewhat less chance of getting caught.

• Advertisement

28 Pembroke street...You don't think they offer collect on site I take it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Looks a bit Arthur Daley :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm curious why they'd need an Irish address at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The run up to Christmas made me realise we've not seen @Cazale here for ages. Not posted on boards since January, hope he's ok

I was just thinking the same and sent him a PM yesterday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Birthday today so treated myself to a bottle of Talisker 10, the original bottle from a few years ago before the rebranding. This has been discussed before but after doing the taste test side by side with the newer offering, I have to admit the original is nicer (as I remember) not as harsh as the newer and definitely sweeter, to the point that I might not be buying the one newer one again.

Up next, Kilchoman Sanaig, first time trying

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Happy birthday!

I'm thinking of sampling the Grianstad an Gheimhridh tawny port finish single malt from Dingle tonight. The Lúnasa bourbon finish was stunning a few months ago.

Happy birthday! I have a 1/4 left of the old Talisker branding hut I've heard good things about the new branding!

Enjoy the Sanaig, it's perfect for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Happy birthday! What did you think of the Sanaig? I opened a bottle a few weeks ago and really enjoying it on these colder nights. I gave a sample to my dad who isn't the biggest peat fan and he asked for another 😂 I have 2 bottles of the older Talisker 10 that I am saving, like you I found the newer bottling quite harsh on opening last year.

Said farewell to the Roe & Co 2020 cask strength last week. Would love if they did something similar again.

Also finished off an Edradour 10 from Signatory Vintage. Very nice!

Deliberately finishing off bottles so I can send in the reserves over Christmas 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ha ha, I've also upped my drinking to try to finish a couple of bottles to justify opening some new ones for Christmas 🤣

That roe and co 2020 is outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Justin10

Anyone tried anything from the Two stacks range?

Want to get a bottle of theirs for the Christmas, seem to have really interesting bottles.

Tempted by the apricot or might go all out for their friends of Irish whiskey bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Sanaig is everything I thought it would be and more, great balance between peat and sweetness, perfect whiskey for a night in front of the stove. 

This could be my new go-to instead of the rebranded Talisker 10, lovely brine taste with sweet smoke

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The collaboration they did with Irish Malts was absolutely gorgeous. Double distilled 6 year old single malt finished in PX casks. They had a big discount on it for Black Friday but I'd say it's back up at full price again now.

I've also had the Blender's Cut apricot brandy cask strength and their 12 year old single grain (rye finish) and enjoyed both, but preferred the single grain. The cask strength was very drinkable but I just didn't find anything mad special about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's very good. I'd also recommend checking out Machir Bay if you haven't already. It's a more stripped down Kilchoman and also works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Oban 14 last evening for me before dinner, followed by a post-dinner redbreast 12. Both very enjoyable, long time since I last had Oban, so glad I picked one up recently.

Nice! I love Oban 14 was lucky to get it cheap in Spain it's pretty expensive these days.

Got lagavulin 16 for 85e in obriens recently. Was underwhelmed. I'm putting it down to me really expanding what I've been drinking in the interval. It's my 3rd bottle of it ever, finished the 2nd bottle December 2020. I still think it's a really good bottle, it's just not that top 5 drink I had in my memory bank

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Bit of a head cold starting and was in Centra earlier, picked up a bottle of Paddy and some lemons, jesus I forgot how lovely hot whiskeys are.

Advertisement