Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A lot of IF’s in all of that.

Would farrell keep his job if we dont win a 6 nations in the next two years?

Will leo keep his job if Leinster dont win in Europe in the next two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I think Farrell has bought an awful lot of good will with the IRFU and with the squad as a whole. I think he will be given an opportunity to get Ireland to a final. He very easily could have a Warren Gatland (with Wales) length tenure with Ireland but If he doesn't come up with the goods next world cup, I can see him stepping down and the IRFU letting him walk and O'Gara stepping in. O'Gara's contract with La Rochelle ends in 2027 which lines up perfectly.

You have a two time world cup winning coach on the staff at Leinster who will have a very large say in how Leinster do things, if they can't win with him, I don't think Leo is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leo's awful! Bring back M.O.C or Lam. With the options available I'm thinking either of these lads could get us over the hump! Lol

It's probably important to realize that Leo and his staff nurture and bring this squad to the level they've been at. The squad is mainly homegrown and developed by Leo and his staff. Of course, we've fallen short and we are trophyless for a few years. Is this on Leo?

I don't think it all falls on him. Players have fecked up on key situations in games. Leo is doing a great job. He just gets on with it and after failure picks himself up and goes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For a lock, I would be happy for us to go down the grizzled veteran route. Again, doesn't have to be a world beater. I put as much value in someone who will be able to actually feature regularly, contribute off the field and plug whatever gap is required.

JL du Preez would be the sort of guy I'd be happy with although I don't see him leaving Sale. He's under contract for another couple of years (although I suspect English teams are fairly flexible on those these days) and both of his brothers are there with him.

But his profile is what I'd look for. Fairly aggressive, reliable player. Has enough quality to be test capped a number of times but won't be disappearing for SA again, I'd imagine. He regularly plays lock, flanker or 8 for Sale (his test starts are at flanker and 8 though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Good shout. Player with good hands & good experience and well applied aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

Who would we replace Leo with if we sacked him?

I think that Leo is very good at developing players, he helped a load of players go from youngsters to great internationals in their positions. The problem with him and Lancaster was that they weren't great tactically, in terms of we only really played one way. I'm hoping with the implementation of Nienaber who looks like one of the best tacticians on the planet we should develop that side of the game.

If we are sitting here in 2 years time and we have been knocked out in the QFs of the H-Cup 2 years in a row, I'd think this conversation would be fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

ROG would be the obvious answer, I think he would do really well with Leinster. Mark McCall is another Irish option.

Leon MacDonald was mentioned before Nienbar was hired, seems to have done well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We can have you permanently banned if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

Have two seated tickets for grant Thornton stand for connacht game on Saturday if anyone heading west looking for a pair. PM me if interested. Face value €88 for the pair.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Nucifora doesn't leave his post until after 2024 Olympics.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

I'm not sure if the ROG one is taking the piss or not? Mark McCall has the spat with the IRFU. Leon MacDonald would be pretty underwhelming as a replacement.

Nienaber would probably been the ideal replacement or Schmidt. Nienaber is already here and I don't see Schmidt coming back.

JL du Preez would be a great signing, but I'm still fully of the belief that Leinster are in dire need of a really robust, heavy second row off the bench and for me, Du Preez would be pushing for/if not a starter. He would be pushing to start ahead of Joe McCarthy at lock or Ryan Baird and Jack Conan at flanker. I feel very good about our starting unit, it is the back up lock and TH prop that really give me concern. Like you said I would love a grizzled veteran who offers vast experience and an impact off the bench.

I know he failed his medical at Ulster but I would target Leone Nakarawa on a one year deal with the option of a second. He is at an age (35) where you wouldn't expect him to start many games but my God you'd struggle to find a player of his size (6"7) weight (20 stone) who can run like a flanker, pass like a scrumhalf and who would be ok coming off the bench.

You land Nakarawa at Lock and Trevor Nyakane at Tighthead prop and that Leinster bench gets vastly more experienced, the scrum becomes further solidified and the lineout gains another quality operator.

Nakawara has not been very good. I doubt he's going to be an improvement on Jenkins. I still wouldn't mind Marty Moore coming back in. Jenkins while not great could possibly be retained. I can't see a top flight signing.

I would not turn my nose up at Snyman either. The money would have to suit Leinster. Snyman cannot expect a massive salary for his availability over the last 3 years.

Ultan Dillane would be worth a punt? Reasonable money and a good option.

It's also a possibility that Porter switches back over. Would Leinster sign a loose head to bolster the options? How about Rory Sutherland? Then we'd have Milne, Boyle and possibly Byrne in the mix, with McCarthy coming along in the academy.

Snyman is who I truly want at Leinster, I would 100% take a chance on him for a one year deal and see if he can shake off the injury history because if he does, Leinster get a monster. I keep thinking that Leinster might target him like they did with Jenkins and bet on him to get a clean bill of health and be a huge X factor for them.

I know Nakawara hasn't been his flying Fijian self for a while but his skill set is hard to match and I don't see a deal for him being too pricey.

Dillane is starting week in week out for La Rochelle, Leinster probably can't give him much of a guarantee of starting but if he was open to coming home to Ireland, I'd take him at Leinster no questions asked.

Moore's injury history worries me, but he is still a wonderful scrum technician. If Ulster were to let him walk at the seasons end and he would come to Leinster for a fairly cheap deal, I would take him but I don't think I'd be fully comfortable with just him. I'd also bring in another veteran as added security.

Regarding Rory Sutherland, I think it improves Leinster's overall squad but probably weakens Ireland squad as there number 1 loosehead won't be starting at the loose week in week out.

I don't think it will be too costly to replace Ala'alatoa but it would be more costly to replace Andrew Porter.

Some of this stuff is off the wall to me - firstly, on Snyman - there is absolutely zero chance in the world the IRFU will sign off on paying any more money and using an NIQ spot for a guy who at the moment has played 10 games in what will be almost 4 full seasons (by the time he returns in March, as expected).

Nakarawa hasn't been a difference making player for years, always had questionable conditioning and attitude, and you'd be signing him at age 36.

Rory Sutherland is an average player; there would be zero logic in having him blocking development minutes for the likes of Michael Milne, Jack Boyle and Paddy McCarthy.

On Marty Moore - why on earth would Ulster let him walk? The only reason they would is if they knew he had some sort of injury issue that was a dealbreaker, and in that scenario, Leinster wouldn't want him. Otherwise, while they've a good young THP in O'Toole, and a highly promising 21-year old in Wilson, they still are desperately lacking at THP, which was why they were digging around the AIL this year to get a prop to start URC games.

Snyman is unlikely but I wouldn't be surprised if Leinster feel a deal can be struck for less than he is on now.

Nakarawa is a bit of an upgrade on Jenkins and thats all that is really needed.

Sutherland won't happen.

Ulster are high on Tom O'Toole and Scott Wilson, I can see them getting a bit fed up of Moore's injury history and replacing him next year with someone who can stay healthy, if that is the case I'd take him back at Leinster but also bring in another TH prop to compete for the TH off the bench.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Wouldn't fancy Snyman mainly due to his injury record. I also find it a bit unusual that he elected to have his surgery in South Africa after the World Cup and as a far as I can tell from his social media hasn't gone back to Munster to rehab yet. Would have been excellent to get him back to the province and going into local schools to inspire the next generation. Between that and 10 games (4 starts) over 4 years for Munster, he wouldn't exactly fit the profile of someone who I'd like to see us in for. Interestingly he's also played in 11 games for South Africa in that time frame, although 10 of those have been appearences off the bench. 5 starts in 4 years and out for another 4 months doesn't scream good business to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Marty Moore as a European standard scrummager with a good age profile (for a prop) will absolutely be retained by Ulster so Leinster going after him is a moot point.

Without some IRFU meddling, Leinster can't go after another provincial player and outbid them. It's not how it works

And from an IRFU pov, they're not going to sanction a move for a player to just bolster depth when they're good enough to start at Ulster. I know Ulster have gra for TOT and rightly so. But Moore is an IQ tighthead who can conceivably start for a province. He's not going anywhere.

He's back in Munster I believe as of the last week or so.

But, given his status, he'll have good offers I would say to go either back to SA, or back to Japan. In any event - I can't see a scenario where Leinster take a punt on him.

I would say signing Snyman would fly in the face of what Leinster have done for the last decade. They don't often (if ever) chase Superstar signings preferring to develop the Superstars themselves. More than likely Leinster will find a Scott Fardy or Brad Thorn esque player who is on the back end of his career but still has some decent rugby left in them or a potential Irish qualified lock who is playing abroad, but I suppose just once I'd love Leinster to take a massive swing on a star player. Munster went after RG Snyman and Malakai Fekitoa in the past. Ulster went after likes of Charlies Piutau, Duane Vermeulen and Steven Kitshoff. Connacht to a lesser extent with Santiago Cordero. Leinster don't necessarily need a star player to come in but adding exceptional depth at lock and TH would be really beneficial for the squad as a whole.

I wonder could a deal be struck where a Leinster player potentially went the other way. I could easily see Will Connors going in the other direction as JVDF and Scott Penny are both ahead of him for Leinster and a trio of Ewers, Connors and Timoney would be interesting.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,793 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Snyman will walk into a half million euro deal in France, or Japan.

Leinster (IRFU) cannot afford to speculate that level of finances on a player with his injury history.

Plus, he's not a player who currently sits on the bench of a club team. He's a starter for pretty much every club team in the world (when fit)

Do I want Snyman at Leinster? Yes. Would he be a massive signing? Yes. Would he help Leinster if healthy? Yes. Is it likely? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Snyman is in his third season at Munster and has played exactly 10 times for them. Just 4 of those appearances have been starts too. He's not expected to be back until March/April next year. I'm sure there are clubs who'll take the risk and pay what he wants. Leinster won't and would be entirely justified in that decision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wouldn't want Leinster to be targeting any frontline international player, but especially not any SA international player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I would do marty moore for … boyle. Boyle gets to develop behind kitchoff and you guys solve the looshead bottleneck a little and shore up tighthead.

I’m guessing leinster would say no to that (i’m 100% sure they would) but its hard to figure out a good value match. Tightheads are valuable. Connors is definitely too light a value. Maybe deegan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'd have thought Snyman's got something lined up already if his Munster exit has been confirmed.

Advertisement