Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I can't see Leinster parting with Max Deegan unless he asks to go elsewhere. I think Will Connors with a clean bill of health is a very valuable player. Irish international, tackling machine and would compliment both Timoney and Ewers hugely.

Boyle is going to be a very important part of the Leinster team in the next 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I would absolutely agree with that but i think a clean bill of health is unlikely unfortunately.

The same could be said for Marty Moore also I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

That’s true i guess. Hopefully, they both have clear runs coming up.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

off the top of my head, looking at a SH lock that might fit the mould (experienced, grizzley, ex-international) someone who stands out that i would LOVE to see at Leinster would be Patrick Tuipulotu.

while not retired from international rugby, the last game he was involved in in an all black jersey was the middle test game of the irish tour in July 2022. Its hard to see a way back in for him with razor taking over and young crusaders locks already in training camps.

by summer next year he'll have spent 10 years at the Blues (with a one year sabbatical in japan in there in 2022). Hes contracted till 2025, but as we've seen lately that doesn't really mean much if a certain team wants a certain player.

Hes a powerful, hard working lock who regularly gives 80 minute performances, great hands and skills, and at 31 he'd have plenty of good years left in the legs.

• Advertisement

Leinster absolutely wouldn't want to lose Deegan, but I can see why he might be at the point of considering his options. He signed his last Leinster contract in 2022, and just isn't really any closer to the first XV than he's ever been.

He had started and played well a number of times this season, and then finds himself out of the 23 for the Munster game in the Aviva.

In whatever position he looks there is a sizable queue, and you can't help but notice guys like James Culhane coming along as well. It wouldn't utterly shock me if Deegan thought he needs to be playing in the biggest games to prove he can do it at international level.

Despite making his Leinster debut in the 2016/17 season, he's only managed to play in 16 European Cup games over the past 7 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think that Marty being in his 30's now would be relatively cheap. As for Sutherland, a 2 year deal for him and let Milne and Boyle tear the jersey off him. Milne has not had an injury free start to his career. Getting him on the bench and eventually getting him healthy to challenge Sutherland and make a case for Ireland. Boyle is a year away. He's doing well right now and is facing some gnarly feckers week after week. It won't be long until he's breaking the door down.

SNyman would probably want more $ than his injury history would warrant from Leinster. Fantastic player! I'm not sure if it's worth the risk?

I'm guessing we retain Jenkins. He's not going to command a large salary.

They let that Samoan walk. Ulster made a big mistake. I can't remember his name?

I think Leinster will get as many minutes into Clarkson this season to see if there's anything there. I'd bank on Moore being a good signing.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I wouldn't dispute Moore would be a good signing if Leinster could get him. I just can't see a scenario where Ulster wouldn't want to retain him.

Are you talking about Jeff Toomaga Allen? He signed for Queensland Reds I believe, but only in August, which might indicate he didn't have a lot of other offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The fact that O'Toole is ahead of Moore for Ireland but behind him at Ulster is an interesting extra dynamic. If O'Toole is the favoured one by Farrell surely it would be good for Ireland if he got the starting jersey for the biggest Ulster games?

Ulster will likely want to hold on to him, but they've also got some quality and a little bit of depth outside him in O'Toole and Wilson. It would probably come down to what the player himself wants. Where does he want to live? Does he prefer to try to stay ahead of O'Toole or challenge a waning Furlong? Increased chance of winning things at Leinster could factor in too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He would be a good shout but I'd say he wants to see if he's in Scott Robertson's plans first. If he's not he might at an early release.

Actually no. Stop trying to sign Blues players!! Ya'll should've gone after Whitelock. I wonder if they'd consider someone on a half season contract from a Japanese club like Leinster did with Brad Thorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yeah, I know, but he was capped for Samoa last year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nakarawa is a bust. When he returned to Glasgow, his fitness was a shambles. The coaches called him out on it and sent him off to lose weight. He played against Leinster in the RDS and was abysmal, dead on his feet after 30mins and taken off early. At 36 in spring, I'd be fairly sick if we signed him, to be honest. I honestly wouldn't rate 2024 Nakarawa as an upgrade on Jenkins.

Similarly, Marty Moore was never a fitness fiend. He's just back from an ACL, is 33 in spring and his mobility doesn't inspire confidence. I don't really want to hinder another province to benefit ourselves either. I will never not think of his cameo against NZ A last season when he came on for 25 minutes and, after 15 of those minutes, was clearly struggling with the pace of the game and being burned. We really need someone who is more dynamic and fits the our style more.

I'd be more inclined to try and attract Jack Aungier back to Leinster. Whilst I don't want to hinder another province, Leinster had three tightheads lifted from their pipeline in Illo, Aungier and Salanoa in the space of 12 months. I'd be happy enough to see one of them come back. Aungier's contract is up and he looks like he has started to kick on at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rumoured La Rochelle team for this weekend sees Botia, Bourgarit, Skelton (back in training), Hastoy, Atonio and Danty all benched/rested.

Little doubt over what game they're concentrating on.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The ship has long sailed for Deegan and international level, if he wanted to play for Ireland he needed to leave Leinster a few years ago.

I don't think he'll leave, I get the impression he's someone happy to coast along where he is. It's not like his position in the pecking order is a surprise, it was obvious when he signed his latest deal where he'd be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ah Jaysus lads.

We'll never see the like again.

• Advertisement

It's hardly "long sailed" when he was capped as recently as 12 months ago, and was on the Emerging Ireland tour etc. He's played mostly at 6 this season, and is playing very well there, and given the current incumbent in the Irish team is 34, it's fair to say Deegan could easily be in the mix there. Deegan has just turned 27 and has a lot of rugby ahead of him still.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He was on the bench for Ireland against Fiji and he was given 20 minutes, hardly indicative of someone who is in anyone's plans.

Deegan will be overtaken by the lads at the other provinces who are actually playing in the big games for their club. I don't believe he'll ever be a regular international, he's wasted too much of his career playing for Leinster A.

Yea POM is 34 but in the immediate term Ireland will likely revert to the Conan / Doris combo and Baird is miles ahead of Deegan for a bench spot.

I think it might all depend on the contract length. I can see Ulster offering Moore a one year deal just because of his injury history. I wonder could Leinster lure him away with 2 years. Them two years give Clarkson time to take his game up a notch and for either or both of Paddy McCarthy and Rory McGuire to step up to the level needed to displace him.

Ulster are very high on Tom O'Toole and Scott Wilson, I could see them letting Moore walk and bringing in another prop with a cleaner injury bill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's hardly "long sailed" when he was capped as recently as 12 months ago...

...in this 2nd of 2 Ireland caps. He has 30 mins total for Ireland. He's (reasonably long) odds against ever becoming an Ireland regular at this point imo. Between 6 and 8, they are really competitive postions with lots of option currently ahead of him, and lots of talent coming up behind him.

If he had an international career akin to Chris Henry's, say, from where he currently is, he'd be doing really well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Leinater also with one eye on Europe

Next week.

Weakened team with lots of rotation.

Excited to see Jamie on the wing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How long til this stupid 6-2 split dies.

My guess is this means HB starting at 10 next week.

• Advertisement

I don't like Osborne on the wing - other than the big left boot option it brings in the first XV.

I get the versatility is good for our squad and options, especially when we seem to be persisting with a 6-2 for some reason, but I don't think it's good for the individual player's development.

Frawley bounces back to 15 having shown good capability at 10 last week - I'd have liked to see him get the start there.

Osborne goes to the wing having only played centre this year.

Baird is back in the second row again.

Whatever about Osborne who is still very young, I think it would definitely be preferable for both Baird and Frawley to be focusing on a settled position at this point.

They are obviously high on Culhane, as they've invested a lot of time and opportunities in him this year already. Great to see Healy back on the bench, and interested to see if it clicks for Henshaw more at 13 as he was poor and rusty last Saturday IMO.

Advertisement