Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Hi All, new on here so hoping this isn't a question you've all heard too many times before 🙂

Decided I'm going to move in to the EV world for my next car. Currently looking at an ID3 but would love to hear some reviews from people who are currently driving one?

The other thing is the car I'm looking at is 2021 and around €28,000 with 50,000km - could I do better than that price/mileage wise? would I be better off holding until the new year?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

I bought a 212 with 89000kms at the end of July. I find it to be a good car, reliable for 300km range. But, on the couple of occasions I used the fast charger it was slower than I had expected other than that I think its a great car, very comfortable and with good extras. (Be sure to get the matrix headlights they really are impressive!)

As regards the price, I paid 22,500(private sale, would be more from a dealer Im sure) so yeah I think you could get it cheaper even with the lower mileage. Don't know if the prices will fall in the new year but there seems to be opinion that they will?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

I picked up a 211 "Tech" spec a month ago for just over 25k so 28k does seem a bit high.

My advice would be to go onto carzone or donedeal and get a feel for prices , I noticed that Dublin dealers seem to price their cars to sell and are a bit more competitive than the rest of the country .

Most dealers will deliver so don't restrict your search to local dealers.

There should be a lot of people trading up in the new year so dealers should have a lot of cars to get rid of at the end of January when most people are broke, so that should be a good time to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I need to figure out my options soon. Have a 212 ID3 Family 107kw model. Coming up to 50k on the clock. My PCP ends in August of next year. Can’t see myself getting another VW - the value doesn’t seem to be there compared to other brands (especially the Chinese ones) and the software drives me crazy.

Every month that I hold on to the car I’m knocking 400€ off the capital but is the car depreciating at a faster rate? Sell / trade-in now or wait a few more months? Second hand prices seem to be plummeting atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I'm hoping to sell a 172 ateca privately in January 25 and buy a 3 year old ID3 instead. Looking at prices at the moment the lowest priced 204bhp 3 year old is on sale at carzone at €24k.

It'll be interesting to see what a 3 year old 204bhp ID3 will be in Jan 25. Selfishly I'm hoping a bit lower than €24k.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's a private sale one on DD for 20k already.

It must be sold, the lowest priced ID3 I can see is 22k.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

If you are referring to this one, marked as Sold on DD.

I would suggest, this one can be gotten for €21,000, quite long for sale (not the cleanest inside but better spec):

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-id-3-family-panoramic-roof-145hp-58kwh/34945501

A nice motor and 21 plate to boot. Does the VW battery warranty continue with the new owner? I note the details mention a standard 1 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭fafy

But note. is the lower powered 145 hp model, and has over 112kms on the clock, which is way above average.

Battery warranty stays with new owner, for most if not all EV’s.

VW have a standard 3 year warranty, which also transfers to the new owner, so dealer is not giving anything away here, as it comes with the car until its 3 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭baldshin

Has anyone had any issues with the VW app? My wife's phone just will not connect with the app anymore, extra annoying now with the cold mornings. I've done some troubleshooting but no luck, I'm I going to have to go nuclear and reset the car and remove/reinstall the app again and set up from new?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Check if the car has a 4g signal. If not, the easiest fix is to pull fuse 19 for about 10 minutes to get it back online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its out of warranty as it has over 90k km's on it and its over 2yrs old so the dealer is taking a risk there but its a low risk. The ID.3 is generally reliable.

3-year vehicle warranty consisting of a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty and a 3rd year warranty with a 90,000 km limitation. This warranty will terminate 3 years from the date of original registration or at 90,000 km, whichever is soonest.

8-year high voltage battery warranty: A guarantee for 8 years or 160,000 km whichever comes first

So a 3 year old ID3 will still have 5 years of battery warranty left. Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Good to see decent mileage EVs out there already. It's an April 2021 car so about 30 months old, 112k KMs which is just shy of 4k a month, 130 KMs average every day of it's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭baldshin

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

That's good! What’s the software version? I haven't had that issue since the 3.2 upgrade.

Post edited by electricus on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

What's the lowest battery percentage the car can be at to remote start the preheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

FYI if anyone gets the parking sensor fault. VW won’t replace it under warranty. Default response is ‘stone chip’ damage- covered in a service bulletin.

I left mine in for 3.2 and asked them to check the faulty sensor. I was quoted €355 to replace the sensor. And then a further €108 for the diagnostic which I refused to pay.

I picked up a second hand sensor off a buddy of mine- 30second job to replace, they pop out with two pins on the side.

Total cost of replacement €0 but Beers bought for Karma sake.

Sensor can be got new from €50-€100 online. Id4 running the same sensor I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Surely if it was the rear bumper, they couldn’t fob you off with that excuse ? Sensors are probably identical front and rear also if you needed to swap them around 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 12,290 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well after spending yesterday morning sliding sideways down the hill near home, I'm back looking at options for winter driving.

I already have a spare set of wheels, with Nokian winter tyres. But living on top of a hill in rural Donegal with bugger all road treatment other than the sand that the residents toss out, it's still not cutting it. Every year I tend to lose a few days to being stuck at home. Funnily enough my best years were when I had the i3. Those skinny wee tyres loved the snow.

I saw someone online recommending "Autosocks". Basically a cheaper option than snow chains. About €80 for a pair, they just slip on and off easily and no risk of damaging the car like with chains.

Anyone ever used them?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Used tyre socks a few years ago when we had a good bit of snow. Great for a day or 2 when we had plenty of snow cover on the roads, but shredded pretty quickly when snow started to melt and it was 50/50 clear roads and snow cover. But the ones I had may not be the same. I think they were about 50 euro for a pair ( for the front drive wheels)

i would consider them a ‘consumable’.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think they're a bit of a gimmick to keep BMW drivers happy, as you say completely useless on patchy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm surprised the winter tyres are performing so poorly. I had part worn winter tyres on a transit the time of the snow in 2010-11 I swear to god but that fecker could go anywhere. Did you try the bag if spuds in the boot trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Studded tyres are the way to go;) Pity they are probably prohibited in Ireland. Works a treat when renting a car in Lapland;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,290 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I would literally be putting them on for about a mile, just to get down off the hill, and back up it.

I know they wouldn't last on the clear road but I wouldn't need them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And a danger once you turn on to a regular tarmac road.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

They are fine. People in Nordic countries, Russia etc drive in winter on snowless roads with studs and there’re ok. Yes the stopping distance increases, they are noisy and tend to damage the road surface a bit but you can’t beat them on the icy roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Your issue is the ice, and the type of ice. No standard winter tyre can grip on pure ice, particularly ice in the recent Irish context that was laid down fast. The air hit its dew point quickly and covered the ground in water, which then quickly froze to a polished surface. The temperature then didn’t fall low enough for that deep freeze effect to happen so there was nothing for the tyre to grip.

A light dusting of snow, lower temperature or hail stones would have allowed the tyre to bite.

Last Friday was particularly bad and very dangerous, I had to use the Y which is on standard Hankooks and it wasn’t pleasant. There was zero grip but my i3 would have been the same. Any other time it’s so well planted on winters, nothing but studded would work in the most recent case. Luckily we don’t get that too much.

Advertisement