Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

But that would have meant the select few giving up their wealth and position.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Russia continuing its intentional regression towards the 20th century and older: any and all LGBTQ+ activism is now considered an "extremist" movement. Presumably Hungary to follow suit the moment it think it can get away with it. Any tankies, Far Left and those wingnuts in the EU Parliament still supporting Russia should take a long hard look at themselves.

Russia’s supreme court has outlawed what it called an “international LGBT public movement” as extremist, in a landmark ruling that representatives of gay and transgender people warn will lead to arrests and prosecutions of the already repressed LGBTQ+ community.

The ruling in effect outlaws LGBTQ+ activism in a country growing increasingly conservative since the start of the war in Ukraine. The “extremist” label could mean that gay, lesbian, transgender or queer people living in Russia could receive lengthy prison sentences if deemed by the authorities to be part of the so called “international LGBT public movement”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, but on the other hand, this will be another blow ( major one) to Putin's claims to be able to protect Russia and its citizens, not to mention the oligarchs ( and even the Silovicki at this stage ) will be having more than 2nd thoughts at this stage, and possibly thinking about doing something about it,

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

Its crazy how many videos there has been of these TOR systems being attacked by himars or drones and being destroyed

What actually are they designed to defend against because i have never even seen one fire at the oncoming threat, they just get destroyed

Are they just trophy pieces

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I imagine Ukraine have been avoiding them and being very careful with whatever aviation assets they have. I'd say they are prime targets now to set the playing field up for the arrival of the f16s.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think you might have misunderstood the article, 90% of the aid hasn't gone to Ukraine instead it's staying in America and what's happening is US stocks are being replenished, if 500 million aid is promised to Ukraine they received about 90 million in actual aid if even that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rogber

She's married to Ukraine's spy chief, anyone who moves in those circles is unlikely to be a naive lamb. In no way justifies any poisoning attempt (am glad to hear she's apparently recovering well), just saying that by moving in those circles you're going to be exposed to risks.

Someone from the Ukrainian drone industry estimates that Ukraine makes 50,000 FPV drones per month, while Russia makes 300,000.

That's a massive and very worrying gap in production capability for something so important and prevalant on the battlefield.

Shortage of FPV drones. Why did it arise in Ukraine and how to get rid of it — Forbes.ua

China has been restricting direct export of drones and components to Ukraine, so Ukraine has had to use European intermediaries. Seemingly Russia have no problem getting whatever they want directly.

These hurdles widen an advantage for Russia. Direct drone shipments by Chinese companies to Ukraine totaled just over $200,000 this year through June, according to trade data. In that same period, Russia received at least $14.5 million in direct drone shipments from Chinese trading companies.

Some Ukrainians have been forced to beg, borrow and smuggle what’s needed to make up for the gadgets being blown out of the sky. Ukraine loses an estimated 10,000 drones a month, according to the Royal United Services Institute, a British security think tank. Many fear that China’s new rules restricting the sale of drone components could worsen Ukrainian supply chain woes heading into the winter.

https://web.archive.org/web/20231001002607/https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/30/technology/ukraine-russia-war-drones-china.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It depends.

If the US sends e.g. Bradleys to Ukraine, the US then spends money to replace those stocks with newer equipment (that would be spent at some point in the future). That money predominantly stays within the US since it's an arms producer (since it domestically produces most of it's own arms/parts, most of the money recirculates back into the economy)

Ukraine receives the Bradleys (which it desperately needs)

Or

The US just sends a dollar value equivalent of Bradleys to Ukraine without replacing them. Which is also fine because at some point the US would just be decommissioning most/all of the 1000's of Bradleys it has sitting in warehouses

It's a mutually beneficial situation for both. Unfortunately GOP loons have hijacked it and have been partially successful in twisting the truth to project that the US is simply dumping suitcases of US taxpayers money in Ukraine.

But that's what I was saying the majority of promised aid isn't actually cash it's the figure the Pentagon puts the value on equipment sent to Ukraine as I said above we regularly hear well done America another 500 million dollars/Euros in aid ,but the actual figure that Ukraine receives is a hell of a lot less than what's been announced,

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

That’s Kremlin grade mind gymnastics there to try to spin the WSJ story as somehow bad for Ukraine

US Military industrial complex making billions out of turning Russians into fertiliser and destroying the Russian economy without losing a single US marine is precisely why time is not on Putin’s regimes side

It's not mental gymnastics,

it's fact ,

Add to the fact despite Ukraine receiving hundreds of millions in financial aid actual real money and lines of credit, many Ukrainian military units on the front lines are publicly begging for people to donate ballistic helmets, plate carriers and ballistic plates,boots , socks, sleeping bags , warm clothing and gloves , optics including red dots ,scopes ,nods , thermal optics and drones,iflaks and TQs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Probably see elements of the US right push for this now too and the polish if PIS didn’t lose after all they followed Moscows lead along with Hungary and the alt right in America when Russia first started this nonsense about a decade ago. And wasn’t Hungary’s top diplomat in Brussels caught at a gay orgy during lockdown and he himself was a loud critic of the “gays” and had boasted about rewriting constitution to define marriage as heterosexual institution.

And whoever still supports Russia after all they’ve done I doubt this will make any difference. It will probably make …. Love them even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

What are Russia doing with 300,000 FPV drones a month though? Doesn't seem to be nearly as many Ukrainian vehicles damaged/destroyed compared to Russian losses.

Only a month ago Russia was assembling just over a thousand a day, so we're led to believe they have scaled production 10x in a month?

75% of drones successfully hit the target

That's 225,000 Ukrainian targets hit per month? I think not.

What are Russia doing with 300,000 FPV drones a month though? Doesn't seem to be nearly as many Ukrainian vehicles damaged/destroyed compared to Russian losses.

Only a month ago Russia was assembling just over a thousand a day, so we're led to believe they have scaled production 10x in a month?

The claim is coming from one drone manufacturer specifically, he says Russia have 6-fold the drones. It's possible he is exaggerating (to encourage Western support) or plain wrong.

However the discrepancy between direct drone shipments from China to Ukraine versus Russia ($200k vs $14.5m) is coming from an entirely different source and indeed a different article. So the claims definitely require examination.

FPV drones are increasingly used to target trenches and lone soldiers so a six-fold advantage wouldn't necessarily be reflected in materiel losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭zv2

Strange. I heard a Russian soldier complaining that UA has three drones for every one of theirs.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

GLSDBs delayed until later in 2024 announced last March and rumoured to have already being supplied to Ukraine from outside of the US ,

good, unlike the North Korean shite I bet these work wonders on Russians

• Advertisement

So they haven't delivered 480,000 shells, hardly breaking news

Another Russian general killed, apparently by a mine. Probably doesn't make much difference in the long run, but one less person to worry about, and as it's pro Kremlin rather than Ukrainian sources claiming this death we can probably assume it's true:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno: if an army keeps losing its strategic and logistical brain-trust, what are you left with to prosecute the war towards anything resembling victory? Unless Ukraine has been keeping a tight lid on its losses in the officer class, it's clear Russia has suffered a huge number of casualties at this tier; and given how "top down" the Russian armed forces seems to be, what's gonna replace it?

Some history wonks would be useful here to find some comparable wars where one side suffered noted losses to its most senior grades of Officer Class; especially in modern wars where they're not necessarily leading troops into battle anymore.

The way I see it, Russia's prosecution of the war has been so incompetent that it suggests their generals are very poor quality to begin with, so doesn't really matter if one is killed, another equally incompetent fool is ready to take his place. I also don't see much of a strategy for any kind of victory, the approach seems to be just to hold on to what they have and keep terrorising the civilian population and infrastructure in the hope that one day either the Zelensky government will collapse/Western military support will dry up. This doesn't require much skill, just brutality and an ongoing stream of men ready to be sacrificed, which are two things the Russians excel at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, look at the initial Nazi invasion of Russia in Operation Barbarossa.

Stalin had been busy killing off many generals and officers so when Hitler decided to invade the entire Russian defence collapsed and was forced into an organised retreat with scorched earth policy.

I'd wonder if the officer core could have reduced the nazi devastation if they hadnt been liquidated

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Interesting the Russian top brass won't release mine locations to generals for security...probably worried on Ukrainian infiltration

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's a bold enough assumption that the Russian military have the logistics capability to accurately record their mine locations, never mind ensure that the data is pushed out to their officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I see the Irish Amateur Boxing Assoc ditched their principles the other day, when the prospect of medals was wafted in front of them. Their support for Ukraine is refusing bouts with Russian and Belarusian contestants just vanished, easily bought you'd say. Did I hear them then blame the government for lack of guidance? What guidance do they need to do the right thing? But I suppose ethics and boxing sit uneasily as concepts anyway.

• Advertisement

now why would a country with “endless manpower” be doing this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement