Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Anyone who would vote for mcgregor should only get half a vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

would it be safer to put a bell on him, so women know when he is near ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The day will come when some person will be called to answer to the various claims against him. My bet is he'll blame it on nurophen plus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think most voters are that gullible. There's no shortage of cranks. Even Danny Healy-Rae is only going off the back of the family name.

At the height of his powers, Peter Casey scraped a pitiful fifth of the vote.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ineffective but incredibly embarrassing for the country if the wrong candidate gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

He's a part time reaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Good as he very clearly has been inciting on social media

Conor McGregor investigated by gardai for 'alleged incitement'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

This is been used to rile up the unwashed even more though.

I agree that he needs to be spoken to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...maybe we should get someone like andrew tate to chat to him, at least it would entertain us a bit more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

He’s a scumbag who was likely off his head on cocaine when tweeting that nonsense. He is a notorious liar and anyone who believes his BS is a just a stupid as he is.

The man completely contradicted himself by resharing a British right wing video to back up his argument.

I’ll never forget the time I seen him parked in SuperValu Crumlin car park. I was with my 11 year old nephew, unfortunately he was a McGregor fan at the time. It was hard not to spot him in his Lamborghini jeep, he had some thug sitting in the car with him. He had a black tattoo upto his neck, my nephew asked innocently for a picture and McGregor just said “not today kid, f^^k off.”

Hes a coke head scumbag, these idiots who believe this nonsense about him running for president need to leave this country with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Relax brah

Hes a coke head scumbag, these idiots who believe this nonsense about him running for president need to leave this country with him.

It's not that I disagree. It's just that I remember a time when I was much more confident that a western country would not elect a loudmouth charlatan as their president.

Not that McGregor would run for president when he has his face buried in a pile of cocaine and is attempting the world adultery record, but if supposing he did, I worry he'd get a good many more votes than he had any business to.

One lesson we should take on board is that there must be a way to talk reasonably about public concern about immigration without immediately being branded a racist, because if you ignore such people or deride them, their concerns don't just disappear and they become perfect candidates for sleazy crooks to come in and play on their worst fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The English trying to silencer the Irish, wouldn't Conor's character he plays be opposed to that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is a big problem. It is not possible to have a mature conversation. Even arguing for the current EU law on immigration is liable to get you branded a racist. The sensible people keep their mouths shut fearing repercussions so the floor is left open to the lunatic fringe like McGregor

Fun fact - Ben Shapiro was talking about the McGregor the other day and described him as an Irish 'national hero' 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Fully agree, he’s either spending too much time on Truth Social or has a 2nd person now writing some of his tweets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's always been possible to talk about immigration sensibly. The problem is that the debate is flooded with xenophobes who pretend to care about their own people's welfare only to turn on them when there are no Muslims or Eastern Europeans in the picture. It's the same on social media and, here in the UK at least, politics in general. The government here has frittered away over £140 million on a failed attempt to deport a few hundred people to the country which has had the largest atrocity in recent history. Then there's trash like the Daily Mail, headquartered in the Bahamas to avoid tax. When it's not demonising foreigners or undermining democracy, it's vilifying people who need welfare and insinuating that working class people are lazy. It's exactly the same thing here. The same talking heads who wail about working class people suffering and communities being destroyed will, as surely as night follows day, demonise working class people as lazy and any government spending not on the armed forces, the police or prisons as Communism, ie that all taxation is theft.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

They’d want to watch themselves, we all know about his behaviour at parties

Yeah serious achievement that, fair play to her 🤣🤣🤣

If the debate is flooded with xenophobes, as you say, then they must be engaged with, whether we like it or not. If they are not engaged with, then their views and claims cannot be effectively challenged and they are free to go forming their echo chambers online, and we've seen this happen in the UK and USA already with some pretty poor outcomes, really.

The other thing is the word xenophobia itself, because a lot of concern over immigration could be called that even if it's not overtly hateful. If people feel a certain level of discomfort with a large amount of culturally disparate people showing up in their home area within a generation, you could absolutely say that is xenophobic, yet I think that discomfort is also part of the tribal aspect of human nature. These people may feel ashamed of feeling that way but still have those feelings or concerns and not really know where to go with them.

This is a roundabout way of saying that I don't think xenophobe is quite the correct word because it can be thrown at a lot of people from those with some worries, all the way those wrecking busses, and so actually stifle conversation.

Part of having that sensible conversation will be parsing out that former group from genuine far right people who are openly hateful, and really engaging with what they have to say before they run the risk of getting radicalised.

• Advertisement

They don't want to engage. I've been here a long time. Look at any thread about terror attacks and you'll immediately notice snide comments about "the religion of peace" and "cultural enrichment".

I would comfortably either use "xenophobia" or "racism". I think either fit comfortably.

At the end of the day, it's the pretend concern for working class people that I find disgusting. You never, ever, ever see the people who rant about immigration support anything which would benefit the poorest in society once the foreigners aren't on the agenda. If people are concerned, I would suggest writing to their TD and taking back the space from the far right. Sitting quietly just allows the Mattie McGraths and Black & Tan Torinos of this world to take over.

The England flag is a good example. The far right took it and moulded it into their symbol. I met an English lad at a Remain march in London and he said he had one because he was sick of the EDL and others appropriating it as a hate symbol.

Even if you don't engage directly with the far right, their talking points must be taken on board for the purposes of deconstruction and explaining why they're wrong.

I fully agree that xenophobe is a fair term for the far right. My point was more about that term also being levelled at more moderate people who choose to voice a concern about some aspect of immigration. If you push those people away, you're potentially pushing them toward more extreme politics.

There is a fairly direct solution to the far right's overtures to the working class, and it is to create good opportunities and living conditions for the working class. Austerity and economic stagnation seem to always be a big driver of fear of the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

that's the thing, this site used to be riddled with people who would post thread after thread giving out about knackers from the flats getting free houses, margaret cash, single mother dole cheats, it was constant. now they feign concern for these people. if we got rid of foreign people from the country they'd go back to targeting the type of people from inner city communities who protest outside DP centres in East Wall.

has conor commented on the stabbings and hammer attacks in finglas last night by the way? a result of the cocaine industry he has passionately supported.

Precisely.

I remember when anti-vaxxers would gloat about the narcolepsy experienced by a minority of children after the Pandemrix vaccine. They never bothered lobbying for accountability, messaging their TD's or even protesting. All they wanted to do was to use the suffering of small children as a soapbox on which to gloat online.

This is no different.

And a decade ago it was the Poilish that were getting the free houses and prams and taking all the social welfare.

These groups just find new targets every few years.

They never protest outside the drug dealers house the ones that actually destroy the family and neighbours and the ones that want to keep them in porverty.

They actually celebrate them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember being at a bus stop on Abbey St inn about 2000 and there were a couple of addicts giving out about the blacks getting car allowances when they come here so they can buy a car, and free buggies and the rest. As if these phony immigrants were the reason their lives turned out so horribly.

• Advertisement

My boss' PA once told me that immigrants to the UK get 27,000 pounds. It was a Britain First (a white supremacist group) trope doing the rounds on Facebook at the time. When I asked her where I could get the money, she hadn't a clue. When I asked her how it works, it was the same story.

If I ever run into the little knacker I will tell him exactly what I think of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Could be on the under card at Katie Taylor's Croker fight 😁

Tony vs. Aodhan

Conor vs. Leo or Micheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

He's utterly devoid of any charm, wit, sense of humour.

Just insulting people like a 12 year old.

I think he's taken too many hits to the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has he declared war on Irish mammies following the conviction of an Irish mammy for killing her two children today? He does want to protect children, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Because him or his gang of hangers on would knock you out

People will look at a case like that and call her evil or crazy. It will be treated as an individual crime - a flaw in that individual's character. But when it comes to an outsider committing a heinous act, that individual has a tendency to be made a representative of the group to which they belong or have been assigned as belonging to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Is there evidence of him taking snow or is it just assumed?

He was always a twat I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

Whether you like him or not McGregor is entitled to his opinion. You can also indeed question his motivation. Just the same as he is calling out what is motivating the entire Dail and mainstream media to peddle the same agenda.

Well his new kid was born in Dubai so the child will be an immigrant when they return to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

He got more than I expected to be fair to him.

Those polled were also asked if they would vote for former MMA fighter Conor McGregor if he ran for public office but just 8 per cent of those polled said they would, whilst 89 per cent say they would not.

He never touched the stuff, gentleman, type of lad that opens doors for women

Never thought of that actually, all the solo video loons are all about protecting the children but not a peep out of them, perhaps they're paedos

They only comment on crimes committed by immigrants or minorities. They don't care about anything else.

Have a flick through "Gript", majority of the articles are about immigration and race. Almost nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its quite gratifying that Irish people are actually much smarter, much more knowledgeable and much more fair than a loud but teeny, tiny minority would try to suggest these days.

McGregor is a mong in an ill fitting suit, thats the beginning and end of him.

I think the support for McEntee is as much a reflected support for the Justice establishment generally, including the Garda rank and file.

I thought she and Harris should resign, but they may well get away with it. And thanks for SFs political naivety, she's safe for 6 months and probably out to the election.

The far right parties will remain tiny but anti-immigrant views are definitely growing.

SF are supposed to be a left wing, Marxist, pro Palestine, pro refugee party, but I think lots of their base have anti immigrant views. I don't have any data to back this up.

I imagine when campaigning door to door in next election, they'll dog whistle a little to gain votes.

McGregor views are nonsense. He should stay out of politics. I wonder where he gets his info from but it seems to be all from his social media echo chamber. On twitter he tried to use Bernadette Mac for his anti immigrant views but she's being campaigning her whole life for social justice. He did the same with Daniel O'Connell. He's completely clueless about everything and people commenting underneath saying he's brilliant.

I've a feeling McEntee will be quietly pushed aside next year. Maybe Jennifer Carroll McNeill will take her place.

I don't know enough about Drew Harris. It does seem like they just didn't anticipate the riots because the far right protests are normally manageable.

They were just caught off guard, it's like our snow plan, it would be very expensive to have a full public order crew at the ready

Yeah that's my impression although weirdly I predicted it. I went into the city center to watch and I warned Indian friends to stay away, who didn't listen to me.

Some young guy from Clondalkin told me all his mates heading in to loot and didn't give a **** about immigrants. He was the son of Indian immigrants, maybe 18 years old. Kids that age don't give a **** about race.

I think the Gardai didn't anticipate the size of crowd that would arrive so quickly. The far right numbers are quite low. To be fair, by 8.30 they had it under control.

I don't follow politics enough to call for the head of Harris and McEntee but I don't think they're responsible for the riots or the stabbing of children in Parnell Sq.

Both were completely unprecedented, with no waring signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Good.

Those polled were also asked if they would vote for former MMA fighter Conor McGregor, who has heavily criticised the Government's response to the riots, if he ran for public office but just 8 per cent of those polled said they would, whilst 89 per cent say they would not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Joe Brolly is going to take him on next.

G'wan the Joe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement