Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But there's no evidence that migrant workers or refugees are any more likely to commit crimes than people already living here. This focus on criminality of all things seems rather odd - the overwhelming majority of people in any society (whether born there or new arrivals) don't commit serious crimes or end up in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Irish people have committed murders abroad. Should we try and stop all Irish people from leaving the country because of the potential risk they pose to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Islamic terrorists have murdered thousands of people all over the world, should we continue to let every single person in from these countries without checking who any of them are? Which position is more ridiculous?

Why can't an actual logical conversation be had on this topic? Nobody in their right mind is saying stop all immigration or that all immigrants are bad, so why is it framed that way?

But we do check. Every single person who passes through Garda Immigration at the airports is being checked for the very reasons you indicate....that's why their passport is scanned to see what comes up on the database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

And that could be why 60% are tearing up their passports? Yet still put into direct provision instead of placed on the very flight back - do you think this is satisfactory checking process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭batman_oh

And given a deportation order which is basically please leave but we aren't going to check if you do, and sure if you fight it long enough you can have a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

"Nobody in their right mind is saying stop all immigration or that all immigrants are bad, so why is it framed that way?"

Some might call it arguing in bad faith.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

I totally get the 'pressure on services, infrastructure and accommodation' arguments re. immigration....it has some validity at least. But the 'immigrants / refugees are potential criminals' one seems totally disingenuous....there are only 4500 people in Irish prisons and probably less than 1k of those are non nationals (out of a non national population of at least 700k).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I fully support not allowing bus loads of Irish men dependent on the state being bussed to small towns and villages in rural Algeria

• Advertisement

If there are 12% non-nationals in the country, and they're making up 22% of the prison population, this isn't a statistic I'd be using to defend them with. Granted statistics not specific to AS, but I'd wager that the proportion only worsens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

You see I think it is my business to know who is coming into my community.

I give a s##toss about all males as it causes a serious change in demographic of a small town or village.

And I'm not painting all male refugees the same but would like to think that they are properly vetted and background checked to stop any ones who are fleeing from prosecution and crimes in their own country.

Now why don't you admit you cannot answer the question I asked you.

Probably because the answer doesn't go well with your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

The ESRI released it's Annual Report on Migration and Asylum on Tuesday. The report is here if anyone wants to download the pdf.

Highlights include:

A 415% increase in Asylum applications here since 2021, and also 186% increase from 2019.

The top countries of origin for asylum are Georgia with 20%, Algeria 13%, Somalia 125, Nigeria 8%, Zimbabwe 7% and Afghanistan 6%

A 146% increase in first residence permits compared to 2021.

Education accounts for 22% of all valid, current residence permits while employment accounts for only 27%. If only 27% of residence permits are accounted for by employment and are paying employment tax, how does that square with the argument that these massive immigration levels are an economic benefit to us? Don't forget certain parties love to parrot "they're here to pay your pensions" line.

You'd think that the immigration NGOs would be over the moon at these figures, but no they're heavily criticising efforts of the International Protection Office to streamline the process of applying, specifically for those who have travelled here from safe countries of origin and other countries where they wouldn't have a strong case for their application.

You might even say that said NGOs seem to be very invested in blocking any reforms to what is a very cumbersome applications and appeal process and an army of legal advocates only too willing to help, using taxpayers money to provide such legal aid of course. Nothing is for free, unless we're paying of course.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It is everybody's business if asylum-seekers making bogus claims are present in Ireland.

Their accomm alone is costing us 42m per month.

Please be careful of the distinction between AS and refugees.

Most people are against AS making bogus claims, while in contrast, Ireland has welcomed nearly 100,000 refugees from UKR.

The distinction is important.

(although I think we have been a bit too generous to the UKR refugees, and 100,000 is too many)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I know that 'next flight back' is a popular mantra amongst posters here, but how do you see it working in reality?

Because someone without a passport literally can't get on a plane or be forcibly put on a plane - the airline ground staff won't allow it, the pilot/crew almost certainly won't be willing to fly with John Does on board, and the ATC/immigration at the destination airport certainly won't greenlight that flight to take off with an incomplete passenger manifest.

So by definition it has to be a much slower process than 'next flight back', which unfortunately leaves us holding the parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Ye need to get a hobby or something, the hate and bitterness will eat you all up. Just get on with your own lives and leave the refugees and asylum seekers alone.

Anyway that's all I am going to say on this thread, life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

"Please stop paying attention to this topic, we are struggling to defend it " ok

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What did you say, all you did was make statements that you couldn't or wouldn't back up when asked.

Could whatever documentation is used when boarding a plane heading for Ireland not be forwarded on by request. I think myself there is no real effort by this country to stop undocumented people from entering. Perhaps its about time we started making it compulsory for anyone entering the country to have to do an esta form like before flying to the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

totally agree and the number of people who suggest its simply a matter of not letting passengers into the country or returning on the next plane is quite common.I would imagine there is scant attention paid in Italian airports for example if passports are legit as there is probably a perception there that they have to do more than their fair share of heavy lifting with regard to taking in immigrants.For me we will end up with an EU clearing centre ,maybe in somewhere like Morroco or Tunisia where all requests will be assessed and successful applicants will be accepted into each European member based on population ratios etc.Some countries may not join such an arrangement but they would then become a focus for any illegal immigrants and that would act as incentive to sign up.

Definitely. If this country was the focus of terrorist attacks from abroad you would soon see how the entrance into the country would be tightened. As I said they have no will in this government to stop immigration, either real refugees or economic migrants. It's a free for all and looking at the rise in numbers every dog in the street knows it. To much money being made by NGOS is the main reason imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't hate AS making bogus claims. They are people trying to take advantage a weak system here.

I point the finger at our politicians, not at the bogus AS.

(I do put some of the blame on the AS)

I am trying to get on with my life, but the 52% marginal income tax rate that I face on my below-average household income to pay for the AS isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

No evidence? What percentage of Ireland is foreigners vs what percentage of inmates are foreign?? And in the rest of the EU??

If I offered you a bowl of smarties and said that one of them was poisonous, would you take one out and chow down the other 99??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

16 % + of the prison population is foreign criminals

1000 non-national inmates in jail out of a population means the other 699,000 non-nationals haven't committed a serious crime or been jailed. You would propose radical new changes to the immigration laws based on the behaviour of 0.15% of the migrant population?

Another factor is that only around 10% of the prison inmates are women and yet changes to the immigration laws would target non-national women and children just as much as they would men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

There is still a high number who arrive with no passports at airports . How do you suppose they are checked??

Then there are those who claim asylum with no documents at the reception center

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2023/0216/1357159-over-60-of-asylum-applicants-at-dublin-airport-had-no-id/&ved=2ahUKEwjn-s7Cl-2CAxWGy6ACHXoWBccQFnoECCwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2377LCypO-CK_dShFAc05t

Post edited by rgossip30 on

60% not including false documents.

This is really serious and deserves to be called out. This should be stopped straight away. God knows what we have let and are letting into the country.

About time alot of people woke up.

You proposed that non-nationals aren't any more likely to commit a crime, I showed you non-nationals are twice as likely to be in jail compared to nationals. Deflect the numbers whatever way you wish, it's clear as day for the rest here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement