Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Since when did silencing some have to include replacing them with a voice advocating the opposite.

You silence someone because you want to silence them, full stop. I didn't say that that is definitively what happened here, but just given you're trying hard to refute something that was claimed as such, lets not pretend that there's a need for to show favor in an opposite direction to confirm dislike of the former.

I've stated my belief, based on the evidence (he questioned Israels actions, he was taken off air along with other muslim presenters initially, his show has been cancelled) you're countering that belief based on no tangible factors to refute it other than your opinion.

You do know that a Hamas member would slit your throat without a care if you are not one of them, if you are Jewish, if you are gay.

These thugs are terrorists, and it is foolish to argue in their favour.

The Israeli government are not nice guys, and their response to the Hamas attack has been brutal, however they are not in the same league of pure evil and wanton butchery as Hamas.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

… and it’s back to hostilities again.

Hamas alleged to have broken the ceasefire early (no doubt this will be challenged, but for now Reuters are reporting missile fired from Gaza).

israel responding with its normal vigour. Death and destruction resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Of course Hamas broke the ceasefire, they need more bloodshed and Palestinian "martyrs".

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The Israeli forces left infants to die in an emergency ward of a hospital. Their decomposing corpses visible in hospital beds as the parents and staff were made leave and abandon them to die. That is not just 'not nice guys'. It is barbaric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

The British public had no problem with the revenge bombing of Germany towards the end of the Second World War. The American firebombing of Japan had little strategic significance and killed hundreds of thousands of civilians. The American public didn't raise a murmur about it. The Japanese murdered at least 3 million Chinese civilians during that war. Can you imagine what the Chinese would have done to Japan if they had the capability of invading and occupying it in 1945?

Wars brutalise both sides. That's why it's so important that other people in other countries have the discussion that we are having here. I don't mean us having it, I mean important people who inform and frame laws and set moral norms. It's also why accuracy is important, historical accuracy and precision in the use of language in order to avoid hyperbole and grandstanding. Those discussions were had after the Second World War but they are being forgotten now. I hope it won't take the deaths of 60 million people (or 115 million if the same proportion of the global population died now) for those voices to be heard again.

Had that been verified by a reputable news agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I've found it interesting reviewing some of the earlier peace efforts, that the Palestinians never initiate them. I don't think it's because "We're the victims the evil Israelis would never listen to us!" They're content with the status quo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You mean the international law that Israel has been flouting for years with it's West Bank settlements?

If they weren't using it to enable the deaths of thousands of children it would be hilarious how Israel supporters here love to hide behind international law at the moment, instead it's just shameful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Depressing but I suppose not surprising to the killing on both sides has resumed.

But plenty of hostages still not released, right? So presumably a few more hundred or thousand deaths till there's another pause in fighting for hostage exchange?

As soon the war ends though Netanyahu is gone, he needs to keep it going for his own political survival and what's a dozen thousand more dead Palestinians and maybe a few hundred Israelis to him and his extremist buddies.

"You mean the international law that Israel has been flouting for years with it's West Bank settlements?"

The reality is that the ICC, the UN, the EU etc are powerless if the US decides to ignore them. America is the most powerful country/entity/empire that has ever existed and its power is increasing, not declining. Israel is their ally, as are Saudi, Jordan and a few other neighbouring States. In the real world of realpolitik that's all that really matters.

Do you think the people desperately hiding behind it at the moment to excuse the killings know this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What's this we business?

He along with the rest of the political leadership clearly doesn't believe in any of that. As they have all amassed great wealth and live in opulent surroundings abroad. So Ismail and co clearly prefer life over a martyrs death. Its simply rhetoric for the exiled leadership to inspire others to do the martyrdom.

Do you guys only consider the ceasefire broken when Hamas act? What about Israel's actions since the very start of the ceasefire?

This fanboying of the IDF to the point of literally ignoring their actions is bizarre.

Yes, without US support Israel would not be doing what it is doing. Without US support Ukraine would not be holding Russia back. Without US support Taiwan would not be standing gup to Russia. De Gaulle said that countries don't have allies, they have interests. The reality is that he was correct.

This isn't actually correct. The truce was never strictly abided to by both sides. Hamas had 4 leaders killed hours into the truce. They played it down because they wanted the breathing space. Also hostilities never stopped in the West Bank either.

This really isn't that difficult to understand.

Ceasefire was in effect. It had a time limit. Hamas, instead of offering more hostages or some agreement-extending possibility, attacks.

Israel says fine, ceasefire over. And we are where we are. Tragic. So much loss of life.

Now, if the Palestinians would sue for peace, e.g., offer up Hamas and all the hostages, Israel would be forced to stop. Won't happen.

The only opinion that matters to Israel is America's opinon. You know very well that if the investigators find against Israel, their opinion will be deemed insignificant and wholly biased. Israel will be shielded by America from any consequences. With this in mind , do you remember when the senior British civil servant from the MOD boarded a plane at Heathrow to warn an IDF general not to leave the plane because he would be arrested?

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement

The poster was giving misleading information , the ceasefire was violated by both sides.

Even if all the hostages were released the war won't end. Bibi has made that quite clear. His future political survival depends on seeing this through. He claims the goal is to completely destroy Hamas, yet has promised not to touch those who enable the Hamas military wing to function .

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The death toll against women )4,000) and children (6,000) would not agree with your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hamas are delighted. 32 people bombed to death thus morning. If a relative of every one of them joins Hamas to get back at Israel that's 32 new Hamas members. Their future, rather than them being destroyed, is actually secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont think anyone could see a realistic peace deal involving Palestinians giving up Hamas, whatever the hell that means in practical terms. Only their senior leadership must be well known but I believe they are also the police and government workers in Gaza. I presume Hamas militant members dont have membership cards so even destroying Hamas totally seems like a pipe dream.

i just dont see how when ever the hostilities end in this phase of combat, either side can claim they have won.

Israel giving the 2 fingers to everyone.

Canimagine the sh1t that would be written if Hamas kidnapped one person today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Israel have said no quarter will be given, so even Hamas trying to surrender won't end the bloodshed. There's a reason why no quarter given is a war crime. It makes the other side fight to the bitter end as they see there is no alternative and reason to sue for peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Read this the other day. Very grim predictions on what could happen next if Israel press on with this and ignore the US (which at the moment is confining itself to mildly chiding words from Blinken).

Last week, leaflets dropped over the nearby city of Khan Yunis warned of impending airstrikes and told people to move west, towards the sea.

In a post on social media on Thursday, Avichay Adraee, the IDF's spokesman for the Arabic media, told Gazans al-Mawasi would provide "the appropriate conditions to protect your loved ones."

But how realistic is it to expect more than two million people to shelter there while the war rages nearby? And just how "appropriate" are conditions at al-Mawasi?

The map shows a patchwork of fields, greenhouses and scattered houses. Although it is hard to be certain, the area defined by Israel is about 2.5km (1.6 miles) wide, at its widest, and just over 4km (2.5 miles) long.

Dr Michael Milshtein, a former adviser on Palestinian affairs to Israel's Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT), calls it "a beautiful and fruitful place, but quite small". Aid agencies take a less generous view.

"It's a tiny piece of land," Juliette Touma, director of communications for Unrwa, says. "There's nothing there. It's just sand dunes and palm trees."

Any attempt to accommodate hundreds of thousands of displaced people, in an area seemingly lacking in essential infrastructure - there are no hospitals - will present the UN with a mammoth humanitarian challenge, including the setting up of emergency shelter, most likely tents.

Israeli officials say Hamas is to blame and seem unfazed by the dangers. Al-Mawasi, they say, is the one area Israeli forces have undertaken not to attack.

"It's going to be dire. But they'll live," says Lt Col Richard Hecht, an IDF spokesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is quite telling that we have to go to India to find decent investigative journalism to expose the Hamas lies. Too many people in the West swallow whatever they say without question. This is a really good expose of that "kid" who had his arms broken.

The article I posted literally countered the narrative within the one you posted.

But, when it comes to entities in the West swallowing what is said in relation to the narrative, I think the vast majority of people know the narrative that is pushed without question.

• Babies killed in Israel is barbaric and horrific and justifies a military response versus Children Killed in in Gaza is 'just what happens in war'.
    • Israel Hostages versus Palestinian detainees
    • Hamas terrorism versus IDF self defense
    • Israel killing Palestinians during ceasefire is ignored versus Hamas breaking the ceasefire when they kill Israeli's
    • Likud saying 'From the River to the sea' is fine versus Hamas saying 'From the River to the sea' is anti-Semitic
    • Marches supporting Israel are against antisemtism versus marches supporting Hamas are Hate Marches
    • 'Do you condemn Hamas?' 'Do you condemn Hamas?' 'Do you condemn Hamas?' 'Do you condemn Hamas?' 'Do you condemn Hamas?'

We've seen the way most of the politicians, government bodies and media outlets in the west have looked at what is happening and how they are reporting it.

• Advertisement

Hamas are not all Palestinians. They're not all Gazans. They're a well financed terrorist organization of probably under 50000 that seemingly dictates everything to 2+ million people.

Here's the thing: If you start a war, and lose, you sue for peace. If Hamas are content to sacrifice Gazans, which they clearly are, then the Gazans have to take things into their own hands. Like, say "here's the tunnels we've seen used..." "that guy there, he's big in Hamas..." "instead of bombing, we'll open tunnels for you to invade"...

Advertisement