Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

You've now deleted this comment because you've seen the error of your ways, hopefully. For anyone else wondering, you were spouting off about CO wages doubling because the figures I provided were net pay when everyone talks about gross. Turns out the figures were gross pay, so no, I didn't prove your point for you, you just demonstrated even further that you are talking crap. At least you realised it this time and had the good grace to delete it.

Hahahah sorry they nearly double without one promotion in their whole career. Get off the stage pal.

He says, while inventing scenarios out of thin air and moving the goalposts after his initial claim was proven to be bullsh1t. For the second time........YOU NEVER SAID THEY NEARLY DOUBLE, YOU SAID THEY WERE GUARANTEED TO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE. You haven't shown one single role that doubles, never mind triples. Instead of admitting you were wrong, you're now doubling down and claiming you're actually correct. Get off the stage indeed.

Triple would be anyone going from co to heo, Ap ,Po , a lot of people.

"Your salary will triple if you get 3 or 4 promotions".....yeah, no sh1t sherlock. In other news, the Pope supports Celtic.

Also, this is a completely different argument to what you initially claimed. It also blows holes in your initial argument, which was that this isn't possible in retail. I've worked entry level jobs in both Tesco and McDonald's. Four promotions in either of them would see you almost at Store Manager level, which is way more than triple what the frontline staff get. So, again, for anyone taking notes, you're entire argument is nonsens.

You failed to pick up the context of the conversation which was viewing a career in the civil service over the dole or retail.

No, I picked it up alright, you're just talking out of your hole and making stuff up to try and prove your point, which is based on a foundation of lies.

i also said BASICALLY guaranteed. I you left out the basically in your posts i see hmm Apologies i didnt say NEARLY double. Very very few people enter and stay as a Co , that is common knowledge , perhaps you have zero knowledge of the civil service. Agreed on gross/net i was incorrect and deleted it. In general you are being pedantic for the sake of it.

Apology accepted

I should have said nearly double , still to me nearly double without a promotion is snazzy enough , not sure if that happens in tbe private sector much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It didnt where i worked in banks/insurance. Maybe smes where you become more valuable. But that nearly always leads to promotion/more responibility.

I worked in Tesco when it was still Quinnsworth, pay was £2.02 an hour. In Euro, that's €3.60, and min wage is now €11.30, which is more than triple what I was getting in Euros 25 years ago. So yeah, it did happen in small, unskilled, entry level retail min wage jobs.

Jobs which you are tying to compare to teachers and AOs, that require degrees (an honours degree in the case of an AO).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'm afraid your sums are not correct, IR£2.02 in Euro is €2.57. So €11.30 is actually 4.4 times the pay then.

The general price index (according to CSO) is 1.75 times that of 25 years ago, so people are better off now on minimum wage type rates.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So is there any chance do people think an offer will be made for us to vote on prior to Christmas or will it be the new year? If agreed do people think March will be the first stage for any uplift?

• Advertisement

And what was a cos salary while you were in quinnsworth. Silly argument taking inflation into account. Im comparing them in the sense you are better off in the civil service than working at a till or on the dole. Its very obvious , not sure why you have such a problem with it.

I would guess not a chance before christmas , March might be still a realistic uplift date but probably only if its a short term deal.

Agreed, it's a silly argument alright. It is YOUR argument, though, you do realise that, yes?

You're the one who said the COs can nearly double or treble their wage over their career, when they can't.

You're the one who said retail can't do the same, when they can do even better.

Now you're trying to claim the arguments which counter your points are absurd, when it's clear as day that you haven't done your sums.

In 1998, A CO was on £191 per week, or €243 roughly. In order to keep up with minimum wage (x4.4, thanks @Charles Babbage), that would have to have increased to €1,067 per week, but instead it's at €510, less than half (47.7%) what it would be had it kept pace with the retail sector.

An EO was on £15,736 or €20,000. In order to keep up with Tesco/Quinnsworth, that should be €80,000 but instead it's at less than €35k, or about 44% of where it should be. And let's not forget, this is before benchmarking and everything else that was seen as exorbitant from outsiders looking in.

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/factfile-1.198408

No matter which way you slice it, the private sector has far outstripped the public in terms of increases over the past 25 years and you are blue in the face telling everyone that the exact opposite is true. You've been proven incorrect. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭bren2001

I dont think a deal being agreed before Christmas is likely.

I think it is much more likely the discussions will drag on until late February/March, then a month to ballot members, then it will be implemented around May/June. I think the Government will likely "back date" any deal to January first with a lowball percentage. I think people will end up voting in favour of that looking at the one off "bonus" of back pay. I imagine that is the Governments ploy. It worked before so it will likely work again IF the Unions recommend accepting the deal.

Jesus they were paid good mula back then. When did i say cos could nearly double or treble their salary?

Right here. Guaranteed to double or treble their salary.

When pushed, you started talking about COs, Eos and AOs.

Yeah Cos salary nearly doubles without one promotion in their whole career. There is wonderful opportunity for salary growth in the Cs basically double is a given and then treble and quadruple very possible! And more so again when you dont bother with inflation like your own quinnsworth analogy! I Wonder wbat the average promotions are in someones civil service career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I wonder wbat the average promotions are in someones civil service career?

That would be quite difficult to "average", as promotions happen a lot faster now than they did when I joined the service (1986). How promotions are made has also changed (used to be percentages of internal and external) and there are a lot more opportunities to move up now, (esp. open competitions which I think run on average every 2 years).

Indeed, even the parent department you were assigned to had a huge impact on how fast you could move up. Bigger departments (e.g Revenue) typically meant more chances of promotion internally.

Not to mention a few embargos along the way and EO was the highest entry point for admin staff for a long time. (Can't remember for professional / techncial grades).

But it wasn't at all uncommon for someone to be stuck at the same grade for 10/ 15/ 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

Given they adjourned (on Monday) the talks after just one afternoon, until "later in the week" and Thursday just went past workout a peep - chances are not high.

• Advertisement

They are starting back tomorrow according to Rte but yeah bit of a weird start , mon afternoon adjourned till friday haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Should be renamed the public pay bickering thread!

Some people are just never happy with their lot!

Yeah, know your place unless you're a member of the smart elite.

More absolute condescension.

Correct. I am not happy with my wages being eroded by inflation. I don't think anyone public or private should be happy about that or accept it.

Thats fair enough , but i think like myself you are probably a realist about the situation. No poxy dole comparisons , understanding the concept of starting salaries etc and that we arent going to be getting some 15% increase.

I don't understand the dole comparison. When you start in the Public Sector you're starting a career with the potential to move up grades and significantly increase your salary. If people want to stay on the dole with that quality of life, its such a minority in this country, I really don't care. The majority on the dole need it and I am not going to use their ok social welfare to manufacture an argument. I hate that attitude in this country. I don't deal with CO's or see their lives on a day to day basis so I can't really comment if they deserve a pay rise or not. I don't see it so I don't know.

I do know there are huge recruitment and retention problems with teachers, post-docs, and other areas of education. Something needs to be done about that whether that be in terms of pay or working conditions. I think teachers earn a good wage with good other benefits (the holidays) but they're leaving the country and we need to address that. The same, I am assuming is true for CO's (in terms of recruitment not that they're leaving the country). One of the issues for teachers is that their Unions are batshit.

Am I realistic about what we can achieve? Sure. Do I think we will get 15% over 3 years? No. Do I think we will get something that makes up for the mismatch in inflation from the last deal and over the next year? No. Hence, its very likely I will vote to reject the deal. That is only because I am comfortable enough and don't need the money so will reject it on principle. However, I won't judge anyone for "making themselves poorer" or slam the Unions. They're not as strong as I'd like them to be but **** me we are a lot better with them. Their strength is a reflection of how strong their members are imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,467 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You can't counter statistics and facts with a meandering rant.

• Advertisement

Best paid sector per hour in Ireland? There was also a recent article about the Gardai being the highest paid , the overall sentimemt was well they work for it , they do the hours. Surely the inverse must be true for Teachers.

Advertisement