Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is fine, it's relatively high as you pay the "exit tax" on PDC heating of the car for short journeys so your average will be higher than say me who has a longer journey but lower average usage as the heat pump kicks in and lowers the battery usage to maintain cabin temps. I have steering wheel on Auto heating this time of the year and leave it on now until March/April, maybe the odd time I have seat at lowest setting but more often that not I don't use it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Conar

M3P I'm at 204Wh/km since August. Mostly motorway. 6800km total.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DrPsychia

Didn't look so good to me. Unnecessarily complex for something a lot of drivers believe is important. I would definitely opt for retrofit stalks from enhance auto, even for just the gear selector stalk. Its just more fluid and quicker to change direction than swiping on a screen.

Each to their own.

I was surprised it wasn't fitted with USS, I thought they were mandatory on all AUS cars. I see now that rear USS will be mandatory in Australia from 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fido_dido

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Maybe…

I actually sat in a Model 3 Highland and had a play around with the indicators… and they seem like you’d get used to them in no time.. Granted I didn’t drive it, but I’d be happy enough to embrace the stalkless design…

• Advertisement

I was wondering. I suppose in my head for the extra performance I still see it as a bargain but I'd be interested to hear anyone else's figures in a performance model or the long range awd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not really for what the P gives you. It’s like comparing a 520d to an M5. Not made for efficiency 🏎️

It’s correct. My long term average is showing at 212 now on a 2020 M3. Based on the last 2 years driving.

I can get significantly less than that on trips if I want, it I never want to 😂

I know ... I turned on chill mode once to test it. Never again 🤣

Out of interest how have you done for tyres? What are you using at the moment?

OEM Michelins from 2020 lasted 40,034km.

I put Pirellis on after that, this year. I will be going back to Michelins after these.

I had Michelins and Continental's on the Model S before, I should have known!

• Advertisement

I've read similar stories online about Purelli just not being as good. That's what came with mine unfortunately. Will definitely look at Michelin for the next.

Have you had to rotate or realign in those first 40k?

I got tracking and alignment done at 40k when changing just to keep it square.

I’ve never rotated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Yes that's quite good, I did Cork-Dublin and back today and averaged 196. It didn't get above 3/4 degrees.

Average since March 17th is 140.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭sk8board

That’s not bad - 196 on a 57kw usable battery (it it was the SR) would be 290km 100-0% range on only winter motorway driving

Agreed, for this time of year in yesterday's conditions, it even snowed for a short time and it was quite windy on the way up. Stuck to 120kph on the way to Dublin as we were running a little late.

110kph on the way back and it averaged about 160 wh/km.

☀️

What's your thoughts on RWD for overtaking. Do you feel you have enough power? I've only ever driven the LR so never experienced what's it like to overtake on national or regional roads in a RWD.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Absolutely fine for overtaking... though I'm in a slightly faster SR+ as opposed to the newer RWD's with slightly slower acceleration, but I'd guess at any speeds above 60-70km/h, that difference probably isn't noticeable.

To give some context, here’s my November figures.

November 2023

788 Km 

211 kWh

268 Wh/km

2020 M3P.

I don’t pre heat, I don’t pre condition, I don’t set departure times etc. I just get in and drive. 99% Dublin trips.

More than happy with its overtaking ability. I test drove the LR recently and honestly when at speed there isn't a massive amount in it. At a standstill is where the main difference lies. I came away from the test drive thinking i'm glad I didn't bother with the 8k extra outlay. Might be more noticeable going from LR to Rwd however.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

I preheated this morning for a little bit of luxury!!

Lads, I'd appreciate some input please.

If you could buy new again, which would you choose from the following considering my reasoning?;

Model Y RWD for €44.5k inventory price

Model 3 Highland RWD for €41.8k

Lack of stalks won't be an issue for long if I buy the model 3 because I'll just get a stalk retrofit when it comes available.

We don't have kids yet but when we do, we wont have more than 2.

My predicament with buying is that my partner(just passed driving test) will also be driving it because we're a one car household. While on paper there isn't much between them in terms of dimensions, the Model Y feels considerably larger to maneuver and park. But I've only experienced the LR model Y and LR model 3. Maybe the RWD in both has a better turning circle?

The Model Y has a 12cm wider body.

I've wanted to buy a Tesla for a long time and the deletion of USS this year really pissed me off because TeslaVision park assist is terrible and unreliable.

My partner is an ok driver but just inexperienced, thus I'm worried it'll be easy for her to scrape the front of the car if driving by herself in car parks or maneuvering through some narrow gap(particularly the front of the car). Hence why I was so pissed about USS deletion.

Our current car is 5 meters long with no parking sensors at the front(car is 30cm longer than a Model 3/Y) and I'm nervous to let her drive it alone due to how big it to maneuver for an inexperienced driver.

I think I'd feel more confident with her driving a Model 3 by herself though as it's 30cm shorter(much shorter nose than our current car) and I think the turning circle in the RWD would be good. And the side pillar and rear cameras are good enough for parallel or perpendicular parking.

My heart wants a LR AWD but I think it's better to buy a RWD for now because it'll be cheaper to insure as she's named on my policy and will have a better turning circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

My own choice would be the Model 3 Highland all day long if space not required, but I am sure others would differ..

A little more sporty, newer features and better efficiency.

However the Model Y may be easier to park, due to higher driving position. The surface area of the two cars is similar enough, Y is not much bigger. Just higher. Both cars have a poor enough turning circle, not sure if I noticed any difference between RWD and AWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

Depends on what you're used to or where your driving, but my partner would prefer to drive our Yaris around the city than the Y.

It'll cost the same to get the nose of a 3 fixed as a Y. It'll also cost the same to leave the scuff marks on them both :)

I don't know about the 3 but the turning circle on a Y is brutal.

But the turning circle on a car doesn't really have much bearing on how likely you are to scrape the front. That comes down to your judgement and appetite for risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jobrien19

Am I missing a trick with 0% finance deals on Model 3's. Where did you source this if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You have to be preheating in this weather, the luxury of a quality car.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It was on the website on some M3 LR RWD cars over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Same, Model 3 Highland all the way. There is plenty room for children and adults will also be comfortable in the back. The saloon boot opening might be a little more difficult to negotiate for larger buggies, but I'd suggest just chatting to an owner with young kids in your area that you might meet at GAA/soccer or whatever. Mine were out of buggies when we got a Model 3. Aesthetically, the M3H looks way better than the MY. Lack of stalks might be a challenge but as a new driver perhaps not much relearning to do anyway. There is no guarantee that retrofit stalks will work effectively and safely - just vaporware at this stage.

RWD is more than sufficient for range and power and space, but AWD will be more fun for you. You can always put it in chill mode for her profile. You'll get used to buttons over stalks, but if wishing to play it safe, just get a second-hand one with USS and stalks (192 to 221 reg).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Having a bit of difficulty this weekend with my wife's M3 this weekend if anyone can shed any light on it.

So the phone key stopped working on her M3, so we done some trouble shooting steps, logging in and out of the app, deleting and reinstalling and so on.

We both had each others cars on the app, so i deleted her car from mine, and she deleted mine from hers. done a 2 button reset and relaunched the app, it asked her to log back in, but every time she logs in it's saying the tesla servers are unavailabe.

It's weird, i can log in on my account on her phone, but she can't log in on any device.

Anyone experienced this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jobrien19

Ahh ok that makes sense thanks. I need to keep a closer eye on their website. They currently have 3.9% finance on the Model Y until end of 2023 but more hopeful of a similar deal on the M3.

Advertisement