Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭High bike

Lynch obviously didn't play enough this year to get an all star so no he shouldn't get one and in my opinion Finn deserved one last year and Nash this year but because Jackie Tyrell was beating the Mikey Butler drum on the Sunday game every week they gave it to him

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I actually thought butler deserved his over finn last yr but this yrs one is crazy in my opinion nash or casey were more deserving .

Also I'd have had t Kelly ahead of tj I'd have had c lynch ahead of him too despite his lack of matches .

Dave Fitzgerald can feel unlucky but then his and t Kelly's misses in second half of munster final didn't help the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Most years a team seems to do better than arguably deserved I taught in 2022 Clare getting 3 compared to 1 for the other semi finalist Galway was mad especially given that year Clare fell apart v Kilkenny and Galway put it right up too ye. You see it in football too Derry getting 4 although I didn't see enough of them to know if that was merited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Na Piarsaigh put up a good fight but they were second best. Where are you going with Ronan Lynch and his frees. He was terrible both from frees and open play. Vincent Harrington is a good young player but again had an awful hour. Ballygunner were the better team even though the ref was kind to them. Ref was biased against Na Piarsaigh in my opinion. How he didn't give a free before half time to Na Piarsaigh I will never know. Must be a Clare ref making up for the Srnior Munster final this year.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

Only player that looked county standard today was wod. I thought breen and Dempsey were poor. No wonder kiely got rid of them as quick as he brought them In. Peter Casey too also was phoning it In. No doubt thought next July he will be unplayable In croke park and steal the show but very frustrating.

• Advertisement

I dunno lads I wanted them to win but wouldn't be too disappointed If they didn't as our limerick lads might get a rest

let's call a spade a spade and say ballygunner were faR superior today a class side I hope they win it out now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,672 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That could turn out to be their toughest game. Thomas might give them a rattle but there is a lot of inexperienced teams in Leinster and the Ulster teams tend to fall short in the end.

Hard to argue with that.

I thought m casey was immense in 2nd half and enda mc evoy was it at 2? Had a fine game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've just a bit of a clean up done there, no other actions taken as people might have forgotten the rules. Couple of warnings.

1. Any discussion of ongoing legal cases is against the rules and will lead to sanctions.
    2. Name calling of anyone can lead to sanctions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Players called into the senior hurling training squad: Ronan Lyons, Joe Fitz, Darragh Langan (Monaleen), Liam Lynch (Mungret), Paddy O'Donovan (Effin), Cian Scully (Dromin-Athlacca), Evan O'Leary (Ahane), Ethan Hurley (NCW), Luke Flynn (G/B), Donal Coughlan (Doon), Emmett McEvoy (Na Piarsaigh), David Fitzgerald (K/P) & Mike Keane.

John Flavin added as a selector and Joe O'Connor back as S & C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rjoe90

Alot of city representation gone in. Good to see so many from Monaleen, think they have 5 on the panel now which is mad. Mungret finally get a representative in there, first since Brian Begley I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

judging by top division underage results in recent years , Monaleen , Mungret and Na Piarsaigh will be the backbone of limerick senior teams in the coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

id be pretty sure that the 15 that take to the field come championship 24 will be same as the last number of years... with Cathal O'Neill as usual in the supersub role... players named above will get some good experience from the exposure to inter county preparations

UL fitz team seem to be as strong as ever again this year. Is there many from Limerick playing with them?

There are already some players who got a bit of game time in last year's league who will be pushing for more so these new lads will mostly be there to get a feel for the inter county camp and training.

English, o brien and o dalaigh springs to mind. Think o donovan is a great player too, will probably take him a while though to break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Iecrawfc

We seem to be producing a number of promising forwards from the underage ranks, not the same quality of backs coming through at the moment though.

Most of our best backs at the minute are really forwards anyway so we'll be fine 😁

• Advertisement

Yeah agreed, definitely seems to be more of them. Are many from the list above backs? Seems to be a good few.

Unless I'm mistaken the only championship debuts this year were Adam English and 30 year old Aaron Costello. And the only player to break through in terms of regular playing time since 2018 is Cathal O'Neill.

The core group of 20 or so players all started coming through in 2015/2016/2017 and those were difficult seasons. The potential was clear but we had already been there in the 00's after the u21 3 in a row, we of all counties knew full well underage success counts for nothing. We have lads with multiple All Stars who in those three seasons looked very raw but nonetheless were given plenty of opportunities.

An under 20 graduate (and there's another issue, for numerous years now under 20 graduates don't look quite as ready as their under 21 graduates up to 2018) now doesn't get the luxury of two or three years to learn the ropes - they won't see a second of championship action until they are at the standard of a core group of players at their peak on one of hurling's greatest ever teams. Otherwise they have to make do with a handful of appearances in the Munster League and NHL. We've seen a handful of lads do that for 3/4 years only to ultimately end up being cut from the panel. (Brian Ryan, Robbie Hanley, Brian O'Grady, Darren O'Connell, Josh Considine and a handful of others). And there are a handful of players on the panel who are probably going to suffer the same fate - we have a handful of lads now aged 23/24 with 3/4 All-Ireland medals despite not yet having made their championship debut.

The fact that so many of the core group were born in 1994/95/96 is a bit of a ticking timebomb and I suspect that's why Kiely only sought a one year term this time. A rebuild job is approaching and I'm not sure he wants to be the one to do it - not a criticism of the man, he can do whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned, owes this county absolutely nothing. But it's a bit of a catch 22 - he and his selectors have a responsibility to pick the strongest XV available even if it comes at the cost of lads fighting away to make their breakthrough in the background.

Go back 5/6 years and the likes of Donncha O'Dálaigh, Shane O'Brien, Colin Coughlan, Adam English and Cathal O'Neill would have been championship starters on their debut season. The standard is insane right now, a nice problem to have I guess.

Might have been a tiny bit different if we had lost the 22 final but as soon as 3 in a row was done and it became about 4 and 5 any thoughts of the future were out the window.

The main thing really until the next season is over is to make sure we have the best backup possible and a few good impact subs. Barring injury there will be little argument about the starting 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Agree...as a Clareman!!! imo the aim of John Kiely, similar to every manager I ever read about, is to will try and win as many titles as possible during his tenure. Next year I think that he will rely in as much as possible on the proven players, who have delivered an amazing 5 all-Irelands in 6 years, to try and win an unprecedented 5 in a row. He will not worry unduly about the team that will succeed him though naturally as a proud Limerick man he would like Limerick to continue as a major hurling force. imo it will take an exceptional player to break onto the current Limerick team in 2024. When John Kiely retires Limerick will still have the nucleus of this team playing, which with the addition of some very good younger players, will leave Limerick as a formidable but not invincible team for some years to come.

Like I said 2 weeks ago everyone is innocent till proven guilty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right folks, I've probably deleted far too many posts and some of them would probably be fine but technically the court case is on going pending sentencing so I've erred on the side of caution and removed a lot of posts, not warnings or bans or anything.

Please remember this is the Limerick GAA thread, it's not a legal debate, I know a Limerick GAA figure is involved in a legal case at the moment but there's also Limerick GAA people involved in a lot of other things that's isn't discussed here so please try to keep the thread on topic, us Mods don't want to be issuing bans/warnings.

Let’s call it exactly as it is - nothing more than faux outrage just because the team is not liked on account of all their success. It’s not about right and wrong or justice. Not one of these people would give a shite about this court case were one solitary detail different - the player concerned an inter county player for one of around 24 other counties. None of these people give a shite about the victim in this case, they only want to sew it into a high profile player they don’t like who plays on a team they don’t like.

I fully support the findings of the court and will continue to do so with respect to any subsequent sentencing or appeals from either side.

In the meantime I will continue supporting my county. Embrace the jealousy and pot shots from the outside. Embrace the plaudits delivered through gritted teeth. Embrace the desperation to find any way possible to discredit this great team and their achievements. Embrace this simple fact; four in a row. Only ourselves, Kilkenny, Dublin, Kerry people over 50 years old and Cork people over 90 years know how that feels. Nothing will ever change the pure joy it has been to be a Limerick hurling supporter in the last six years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

If that's the case then was there so much coverage of the court case involving the 2 rugby players a number of years ago, was that because Ulster were successful at the time? The reality is scenarios like this will get more traction when you've got a national profile, 2 perfect examples although not matters in court were the Ryan Tubridy payment saga and Dublin footballers caught training during lockdown.

U can call me an idiot if u like but the truth hurts.Those 2 Tipp posters only appeared here to rub salt into our wounds so I stand by what I said.There's plenty skeletons in the Tipp closet too if they want to discuss them.Luimneach abu

• Advertisement

Right folks, this is the last warning, bans are going to be handed out if people can't discuss in line with the rules.

Things to remember

• Attack the post not the poster
    • If you want to discuss legal cases, quote reputable online publications not just speculation, remember that by posting on a legal issue you are taking the risk of being against the rules
    • This is the Limerick thread so there will be a bias supporting Limerick, if you don't like that don't come in here
    • If you have a problem with a post, report it and the mods will action it

Advertisement