Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

That's a funny one alright. Unless he has lost 10 stone. has become incredibly mobile and has learnt the quick offload?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Connacht haven't won a trophy since he left though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

My Google photos reminded me that this was 8 years ago today

I thought you were going to provide a reason to bring Rodney back?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Colm Reilly is injured and unavailable this weekend against Leinster. This means either Matthew Devine or Michael McDonald should make their debut from the bench, which is exciting even if it's a tough opening act for them.

Devine really impressed me as an U20, I thought he was one of the stand outs from that group. McDonald was born in Cooley Co. Louth but moved to Oz as a teenager and was selected for the Australian U20s in 2019. He spent last year with Ulster but played just once for a grand total of twenty minutes (he wasn't the only one to be starved of playing opportunities in that Ulster squad).

https://www.the42.ie/michael-mcdonald-ulster-5821798-Jul2022/

Has Devine been injured a lot since 20s?

I thought he was a standout player on that 20s side, and while obviously there are good players ahead of him, I kind of expected him to have at least gotten a breakthrough cap before now tbh.

If you look at his 20s group - a number of them have made breakthroughs and racked up some gametime, including Patrick Campbell, Fionn Gibbons, Ben Brownlee, Charlie Tector, Tony Butler, Ethan Coughlan, Jack Boyle, Scott Wilson, Rory McGuire, Conor O'Tighearnaigh, James McNabney, Reuben Crothers and James Culhane.

In fact - of the players who made academies, the only province that hasn't bestowed any caps on any of the players produced is Connacht. They have Shane Mallon, Chay Mullins, Oisin Michel and Daniel Hawkshaw from that Grand Slam squad, and none have been involved for Connacht at all yet.

That's an interesting observation with regard to the Connacht cohort from that U20 team, Wasn't Chay Mullins playing 7s?

Obviously with Blade and Marmion, Connacht had unusual strength at 9 which meant that fewer opportunities. More so because they both had a good injury profile. Devine has only bee in the Academy one season so it's not long. Only player who recently made a breakthrough in his first year was Prendergast. The coaches obviously hold Reilly in some esteem as he he's already on 25 caps, and i can see why, he's a tidy players.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The downside of having two capped scrumhalves was that it didn't leave much gametime for development, as both Blade and Marmion were extremely durable while not spending much time away on international duty. What minutes were available available went to Colm Reilly but even he came into this season with only 5 starts in three seasons post 20s.

It doesn't seem like an ideal pathway for a top tier prospect to spend a season (maybe 2) playing AIL 2B, especially without consistent A games to expose him to a higher level of rugby. Don't think he's had a particularly bad time with injury as he plays with Corinthians pretty consistently.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I thought Kerins had a huge future at Connacht. What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would be very excited to see Devine given a go. For me he’s been the most exciting 9 to come through the 20s in the last few years, including Casey. Not sure if he’s physically ready for stepping up yet but I thought the same about Reilly and he doesn't look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

According to IT, unfortunately Devine pick some injury(groin) at AIL game. I don't know thatWhen it happened. Refs is now decide for the Dervy match. All Irish team they will be.The ref =Brace, AR=Martin and Davison. TMO=Hodgis. Is it good for connacht?

Oh that’s a blow if he’s out, McDonald it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2023/11/29/ireland-sevens-squads-named-for-hsbc-svns-series-opener-in-dubai/

Shane Jennings and Chay Mullins in the Sevens squad for the first round of the Sevens series

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭mjp

Have two grant Thornton stand tickets for Leinster game this weekend as can't make it to game. Available at face value (€88)if anyone wants them. PM me here.

Is Jennings on a senior contract? Would really need to see him pushing on next season with the senior team.

A run at 7s could help him if he is aiming to breakthrough as a back three player though.

Jennings was one of the six who got senor contracts in January last year. What we saw of him last season was exciting. For me, he looked ready to go, but minutes are scarce in a very competitive squad, so the 7s is a good alternative focus. And it didn't do Hugo Keenan any harm...

Ah yes of course he did. Think himself, Mack , forde and kilgallen will form a vital part of the back line moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

I am paying my attention to Connacht's pack weights (especially at maul and scrum time) at this week-end match. hopely near 900kg.. I think that if they fight evenly In the FW battle, They can win. (Aind indeed the accuracy of kicking is another key factor)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I think Brace is generally fine even though ideally I'd prefer non irfu officials for these games. At this stage as long as Frank Murphy is nowhere near the sportsground I think it could be worse.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Fingers crossed for JJ to be named at 10 today

And the game is a sell out.

Could be a very cold one, but hopefully the flames are alight a lot tomorrow evening, and that helps keep us warm

lots of tough selection calls to be made. likely one of TOH, porch or Ralston will miss out completely and I suspect it might be porch. certainly a tight call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS LEINSTER RUGBY 

19:35, Saturday 2nd December 2023 @ The Sportsground 

Number/Name/Caps

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (227) 

14. Mack Hansen (28) 

13. Byron Ralston (21) 

12. Cathal Forde (18) 

11. Diarmuid Kilgallen (20) 

10. JJ Hanrahan (5) 

9. Caolin Blade (176) 

1. Peter Dooley (23) 

2. Dave Heffernan (183) 

3. Jack Aungier (54) 

4. Darragh Murray (13) 

5. Oisin Dowling (49) 

6. Cian Prendergast (52) 

7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (25) 

8. Seán Jansen (1) 

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (29) 

17. Denis Buckley (233) 

18. Finlay Bealham (191) 

19. Niall Murray (61) 

20. Paul Boyle (85) 

21. Michael McDonald * 

22. David Hawkshaw (18) 

23. Conor Oliver (68) 

Strong bench again. More rotation too. Could argue that’s a second choice front 5.

No Joe Joyce nor Tom Farrell? There was no mention of an injuries earlier this week. And no Jack. I'm also a little surprised that Jansen starts but good to see Paul Boyle back. Still, a good team, hope we can get some penetration in midfield.

You’re probably looking at Buckley DTM Bealham N Murray Joyce Oliver SOB Bundee Farrell and Porch all coming in fresh next week for Europe. That’s the bones of decent team completely fresh

By the way, I demand that they play only Pogues tunes tomorrow at the ground. It's only fitting, The Body of an American.

Well four out of the first five will be on the bench tomorrow, but I know what you mean.

I wonder how long Reilly is out for, and if Devine will recover in time to be able to share some of those minutes with MacDonald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The lack of information regarding player availability is frustrating. Rather than the inane old boys club questions they ask at press conferences it would be great if we knew to some extent where we stood with players even if was put as an embargoed section for release after the team announcements.

Obviously on the Tuesday or whenever they do the interview it may be too early to tell in some cases but certainly for definite non starters it's disappointing to not be given proper information. I don't think other teams gain advantage from this info as they have plenty of time to tweak their setup either way.

In such a vacuum its hard to know whether it's injuries forcing Wilkins hand or whether once again he has mismanaged his resources leaving us short key players for a winnable game.

To me we already blew a winnable game in Edinburgh by selecting a weakened side and although any team Leinster put out will start as favourites we have to be targeting this game.

With what Leinster have on the bench a 6-2 split makes some sense. We should have the options to cover across the backline unless there's bad luck with injuries but it's a risk.

Advertisement