Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

No, there's folk like yourself who will take any tweet they can find as long it backs up their view, and anything that doesn't back up their view is simply labelled "Russian propaganda".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Might be in reference to a small industrial lot the Russian’s advanced into by way of tunnel:

It’s an advance for the Russians for sure, but it’s more than a little charitable to discribe this as bring inside Avdiika. Inside suggests that they’ve entered the city proper, when what they’ve really done is advance a few meters down the road from a motorway junction they’ve been stuck at since 2014.

Apparently for their trouble a good few of those Russians were also treated to an artillary strike right on their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Just need to pick on the myth of the initial shock of the T-34 being invunerable. They lost 2300 of the 2800 produced in 1941.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mike3549

If you look at how much of avdiivka is under russian control, and at the same time look at bakhmut, then its safe to say ukrainians are still in bakhmut and it hasn't fallen just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ukraine claim they are behind explosion on Russian railway near Mongolia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont remember Russia having much drone tech at the start , they seem to have a full full suite of FPV & night vision versions, surveillance and their Lancet type drones now, literally one of the most interesting angles to this whole war from both sides, your sarcasm seems misplaced?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

Are all Russian air defense so useless at defending themselves against air attacks

Its amazing how many these days are getting destroyed

What is the point of the Russians even putting these in place, its like , childish nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think any "Russian" improvements you are impressed with could represent Iran's technology (and maybe China's as well, that wouldn't shock me in the slightest).

The Shaheds are of course from Iran, think they have gotten other kinds of drones off Iran too.

Since Russia is going to be or already is building these itself, it has involved full technology transfer which (I imagine) can be applied to Russia's own drones.

Unfortunately the sanctions have not worked as well as hoped (?) to stop the access to low level dual use type components that they need for weapons. They seem to be able to buy stuff like this made by Western companies (via Turkey, some neighbouring countries, China etc.), acc. to reports by Ukraine of the parts that crop up in their newly made missiles and drones etc.

Even if there is a large mark up, they presumably have the money for it when Putin is dumping an obscene amount of the national earnings into prosecuting his war (edit: 30 % of GDP according to themselves, so could be even more).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sure. I didn't mean they were literally invulnerable, but the Germans had to overcome them using direct artillery fire and superior tactical direction of their tanks.

The likes of a Panzer III was no match for a T34, on a pure tank v tank basis. This is what seriously shocked the Germans, as they expected the more obsolete BT's and T26 tanks. The Germans had no tanks whatsoever in 1941 remotely on-par with T34. It was 1942 before they had tanks comparable.

The French also had many better tanks then the Germans in 1939 and 1940 and we saw how that worked out, again due to extremely inferior doctrine and tactical ability, not the inherent quality of the weapons.

The actual point is that Germany achieved as much as it did due to incredibly advanced training and tactical leadership and extremely effective command and control operations. Other countries had weapons, tanks, planes just as good and/or better than Germany possessed.

The T34 was light years better than German tanks in 1941. It didn't really matter because Soviet leadership was so weak that they suffered continuous massive encirclements, poor offensives and just generally major deficits in command and control.

The Red Army massively improved in short order after the shocking defeats and from 1943 in particular.

This goes back to Russia and Ukraine. Russia had what it needed to quickly defeat Ukraine in conventional war, whatever about what would happen next. If it was working as it should have been, or to some degree of that, Ukraine should have been overwhelmed and essentially paralysed very quickly.

The fact the invasion struggled and floundered as badly as it did, even before western weapons arrived in significant quantities, shows that the Russian armed forces have serious, crippling and ongoing problems with training and leadership, as well as logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Like everyone else they cottoned on to how cheap and quickly you can produce drones from quad copters which can be bought for a few euros to the lancet and bigger surveillance and reconnaissance type drones , unlike aircraft they don't need years of testing and eventually launching, people have been building drones and flying drones since the early 2000s they aren't exactly overly complicated , as long as you can get the lipo batteries and motors you can build quads by the boatload in a relatively short period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Funny you should ask. You're really going to have to do a bit better with your feeble attempts to troll:

A story I posted earlier with the SBU as the direct source, congrats

my comment was aimed at poster going on about lancets btw which above article has nothing to do with

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Not to thread derail, but no the T-34 was not light years ahead of German tanks. It was actually behind the German tanks. The Panzer III was overall a better tank in 1941. Probably a duscussuon for another thread though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

m2_browning threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would strongly disagree.

It was under-armoured and under-gunned and not capable of taking on the T34 or KV1 either for that matter in direct combat.

I can understand it was a "better" tank in the sense the German's operated them far better than the Soviet's did their T34's and general tank forces. Like the French, they lacked radios, and the T34 specifically wasn't as well made a tank as the PIII and had mechanical and build issues.

But Russia had the ability to churn them out in quantities Germany couldn't even dream of. The T34 shocked the Germans so much that initially they thought about directly copying it but eventually that project morphed into the Panther tank.

The upgraded PIV from early 1942 onwards brought them more on-par with the T34 and it was a direct response to that because the PIV was never meant to be a 'main' but it ended up becoming that out of absolute necessity. Also the Stug III became their most common AFV because it was relatively cheap and easy to produce and remained quite successful against the T34.

Romania, Hungary and Italy didn't even have tanks or generally AT weapons capable of engaging the T34 at all which proved complete disasterous in the encirclement of Stalingrad. All their gear was only suitable for tanks like T26 and BT7. If those armies had any level of weaponry capable of tackling the T34 the attack might have failed or at least seriously faltered.

But anyway, as an objective tank in itself, T34 was vastly superior to PIII. The advantages in the PIII were the Germans using them and how they used them, not the inherent tank itself. Same happened in France, where the French had heavier, better armed tanks but deployed them disasterously.

Same thing in Ukraine. Anything Ukraine had Russia had a ton more of and to some degree, better quality as well. Everyone expected Russia to put on a grandiose show of combined arms that would overwhelm Ukraine's far smaller army in a few days.

But they didn't. Because no-one could have predicted how shockingly bad their training and leadership would prove to be. They just sent in a vast, ugly battering ram with zero sense of functional leadership and a still-completely-baffling lack of combined arms on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well I suppose if Putin wants more children and larger families and polygamy is frowned upon.. then there's an opening.

And to think there were protests of mosques in Moscow and white power Nazis roaming the streets. Must be all dead in Ukraine now.

Everything is just a resource for them. They're like a bloody Hell engine.

• Advertisement

Absolutely correct. This was released in Spain one year ago.

It was in the replies to the request for horny Arabs. Basically a honey trap for eejit males to go to Russia and end up in pieces blown by a Ukrainian drone bomb in Ukraine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sorry, mate, I'm with Azza on this one. There is good argument for Pz III being the best tank in the world until mid/late 41. I say this as someone who's made his living as an armored vehicle historian for over a decade. T-34 was a tank with great potential and it would achieve that potential, but not in 1941.

It's worth noting that 'gun' and 'armor' were not in the top four of the various criteria the German army put out in the design requirements. Pz III fulfilled the requirements set out by the Heer very well indeed, which is why it had the success it did in the early war period.

There is much more which can be said on the matter, but it's a bit off-topic.

See also this DW report on the abduction of Ukrainian children to be re-educated and raised as Russian.

It's how Putin rules is through chattel. You have to have the chattel afraid of you and willing to work, inform for you at home and abroad.

"Beautiful women" shows a clip of two little girls wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Sorry to interrupt the tank discussion but I see Russia has now taken Mariinka. Not a building left standing. A lot of underground trenches though. Wouldn't provide the best of stagun grounds for Russia's inevitable attempt to keep pushing on.

According to the Deep State map, the Russians progressed 2 blocks in Mariinka with the remaining 20% of the town still in play.

Mariinka itself has been a frontline position since the start of the war, with the Russians holding about half of the town for most of that time. Despite the advantage of being close to Donetsk (and I presume their supply chain), the Russian advance here has been a glacial crawl, gaining a couple of town blocks every few months. They might get the rest eventually, but until the maps are updated there’s no indication they have the whole town yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

Jesus. If that’s not a parody video (and that voice they used just smacks of a piss-take), then this is the funniest thing that has come of all of this.

”Come to Russia! We have….ballet….and Vodka!” Because you know, no other country in the world has Ballet or Vodka, and never will I guess :P

Also, all of the MAGA-tastic slogans too:

”No Cancel Culture!” (Unless you speak ill of Putin or his nonsense, then god help you…)

”Christianity!” (Bit of a downer for those horny Arabs in the second video I guess…)

”Traditional Values!” (“The Gays” are literally illegal here. Make sure your straight)

As I mentioned in a previous post, they could instead of this stupid advert try *not to be evil facist bellends trying to destroy a neighbour?* Maybe give that a shot for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Field east

Your fourth para re churning them out -eg T34-. Are you getting your USSR’s mixed up with your Russia’s ? I assume that both entities had/ have very different capabilities and the effect that ownership has on power in Russia currently - ie the oligarch situation and their ‘influence’ on where the power lies and what they are doing with that power. All this , apparently, is leading to a highly ineffective approach to the war.

Russia seems to be relying totally on sheer numbers of soldiers flooding the front lines, ,pumping loads of very inaccurate missiles, etc, towards the front lines, towns, villages, infrastructure in the hope that some find their targets and specifically targeting Electricity producing facilities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It really bodes well for Ukraine that they've been able to cling on to settlements so close to Donetsk for so long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement