Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Broaband slow

Options
  • 01-12-2023 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I just had Virgin Fiber 500MB broadband installed. Speeds are coming in 340. But I've noticed is very slow to initially load anything.

Example: YouTube (tested on TV, iPhone, and PC) - When I open the app it takes forever to load the contents. When it does load finally starts loading it's quick enough.

Sky Go, if I change channel, loading screen for ages.

even google.com takes forever to load, but if I hit refresh it may then load fast.

I think it might be latency or something. I did a test online (see attachment) with cloudflare

I will call tech support - but I dread the turn it on and off conversation. Is it something they can fix on their end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Is your PC wired to the router? If so, what are the results it is showing you from https://www.speedtest.net/?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

No all wifi here. Turned off 5GHz made no odds. Tested on mac. Pc. Iphone. Smart TV all having slowness issues. Slow loading. Even the speed test website takes a good 30 seconds to load. But shows fast speeds. Tried calling virgin but massive queues. Even if i google something it crawls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

OK. Well lots on here will tell you that you can't do a proper assessment of your connections actual speed, unless you're wired ... and I'm probably one of them too. 😋

But something for you has changed and your service has gone to shyte.

If you are in close proximity with neighbours, then your WiFi may be on similar channels to them, which will give you all a bad time. This would mainly be on the 2.4GHz band.

You seem to be an Apple home, so try the free version of https://www.netspotapp.com/ which should be able to show you any other overlapping APs.

"It's always DNS." is another valid statement when networks go into the toilet. Try changing your DNS to Google's 8.8.8.8 or Quad9's 9.9.9.9.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks, I know about the wired part, but it's a brand new fiber install and they put the box in the hallway.

Two other VM SSIDs are broadcasting nearby.

It's been unusable this weekend in terms of freezing during movies.

Will have to bite the bullet and call them. I don't seem to have access to change DNS on the router and don't want to do it for every device, so if they can't fix it for me, I'll just go back to my mobile Wi-Fi unit I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Turn your 5Ghz back on and if you can, make it a separate network so like "Kurn 5GHz" for example. That is teh faster of the two available network bands and would be where your speed is going. Looking at your speed test results, 38Mbps is slow and that's probably because you are limited to the slower band.

Try that and see how you get on

• Advertisement

Thanks will try that. But from what I remember from the settings it would not let me select a different name for the two SSIDs but I'll double-check.

Advertisement