Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So, here's a long one, as the bishop said to the actress; over the weekend I figured I'd attack the below with all its radium goodness, so I girded my loins. And for safety dressed up in such a manner that uttering the phrase "Luke, I am your father" was eerily accurate... And helped me keep warm outside where I did most of the more dodgy uncasing. I say warm...

My 1940 Alpina 592 KM or 'Kriegsmarine', as issued to same.

Cracking little movement on these. Note the patented Incabloc anti shock jewels on the balance. Though it only really caught on in the mainstream from the mid 50's on, Incabloc was around from the mid 1930's, as well as other similar solutions(the Helvetia brand were leaders in installing same). It was a good solution outa the gate as this 1940 example looks just like one you'd see today.

/aside: After the war the Swiss watchmaking schools settled on this 592 movement for their students to learn and train on, as it was very robust, well designed and easy to work with. NOS examples have even found their way into limited run modern watches. Note too the 'waterproof' crown setup, a design that ran from the 30's well into the 50's. The case has a long crown tube that's supposed to fit into the gasket within the water resistent crown. With new seals it works pretty well too. OK I wouldn't go skin diving in it but still... Observe what this chap does(with his remarkably well preserved example);

The issue was that of all my watches I currently have this little one(33mmm) was remarkably 'hot' on the oul radioactivity scale. So i decided to thin that right down. I removed the hands and they were crazy hot, the dial funny enough much less so. So I cleaned the hands(under oil) of the Oppenheimer goo, until they came back as cold. The dial was surprisingly tepid. And only slightly "foxed/tropicalised'. These particular watches usually have really fecked dials. This one imho is on the right side of "aged"

To the degree that the lume plots would still take a charge from UV. With anything like a strong, even sparse mix of radium, the phosphors have long burnt out. (ps I never noticed that vertical black line below the 6. Looking online they all have them for some reason)

So I stabilised the existing lume with varnish. the dial printing on these is lovely, the numerals being 'oily black' in appearance and proud of the dial surface. I made up another small batch of my Seiko lume and applied it to the now cleaned hands. Then after it dried aged it with very thin washes of watercolour(ochre with a hint of a tint of burnt umber), as I found that gives them the right vintage colour, but keep 90% of the luminescence.

EG, here it is all finished. New non mutation lume on hands, but the now stabilised dial plots also glow after light exposure.

Oddly enough to the Mark 1 Human Eyeball, they don't glow much at all, but through an iphone camera...

I first stuck it back on a bund style lashup. While rewaxing my oilskins for winter. As you do. Should be done in summer ofc, but nobody does.😁

Now I get the bund hate, and tbh in this case I really get it. So out with that. I have a 40's original pigskin strap in 16mm(and open ended as these watches are fixed lug), but it's seen far better days. I have worn it on one of my 40's 'Hygenique' canvas NATO style straps, but they're a bit floppy and no one likes a bit floppy. So onto another vintage open ended leather.

The strap needs a few more runs of the Oil of Olay(no really, fwiw that stuff works like a bloody charm for reviving old leather. Don't tell the ladies, or maybe do if you've lost your love for life itself..), but it's getting there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

I'm at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to the previous post.

But ya likes what ya likes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair my post was on some sort of spectrum. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs garden shortly after work commenced 😉

On a serious note, great work and lovely photos of a piece with a lot of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

At the end of a work day it’s important to take stock of why we attend work.

• Advertisement

... Not like ye daddy Warbucks crew here so I sold my Xbox to buy a Breitling Deus... For €150 🤣

I'm impressed enough with the quality . Really like the back of it too, I'd nearly wear it backwards but don't like skeleton stuff.

Like an idiot I didn't realise ST1901 is a hand wind only. But now I embrace the death and rebirth aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

@893bet of all the timepieces that show up here, a Dornblüth is probably the one I’d most like to own if I were spending that on a watch. It’s just lovely.

I like how Homer was the first to thank your post. 😁

Can't go wrong with 150 quid for a column wheel chronograph. And hand winders are cool. 🤘

My antique phone camera and terrible camera skills dont do it justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Before

After

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I was playing around with my watches last night - trying to offload some, and organising them all - and took a photo while I had them all lined up, Also shot of lume in 3861 hesalite. The IWC, Datejust and Seamaster '57 are all on the chopping board if anyone is interested.

From left to right: my father's Don from 1957; Timex 1971; CWC automatic; Omega Seamaster 166.067, 1971; Seiko SKX009; IWC Mark XV, 2000; Rolex Datejust 16234, 2000; Omega Seamaster '57, 2018; Suunto something or other; Omega Speedmaster hesalite 3861, 2023. A surprsingly like, and one I wear quite a lot, is the 1971 Seamaster with the white/slightly-sparkly dial. It's also on its original Omega strap. The bracelet on the new Speeedy is a game-changer; the winding mechanism is much smoother than the previous version; and the dial is also slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Do you have a link to where you got the rubber strap for the Seiko 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Have been wearing my Sinn 104 for the last few days. Have to say it's deadly! I wonder if there is room for a third Sinn in my watch box?!

I bloody love Sinn(tm)[part XIII]. iive never bought a new watch(save for a tipsy, more than tipsy, purchase of a Fossil Big Tic in 1998), but if I did, it would 100% be a Sinn.

Though my one Sinn adjacent watch, was one of the very few of these that didn't pass over Helmut's work desk(He had the German military service contract for them in the 70-80's).

Bloody hell it was Baltic today. Annnyway.... I dug out a 20mm NATO strap I got 15 odd years ago for another watch and tried it on for the craic. Made of the finest Chinesium no doubt, but I liked the asymmetric vibe at the time(sourced for a watch that was similarly asymmetric) and it's wonderfully soft. I had a look on ebay for another as a spare, cos Man Reasons(tm), but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Swift Gift UK Black Curved End 22mm Watch Strap Silicone Rubber Watch Straps For Men Diver Style Rubber Watch Strap Replacement Band https://amzn.eu/d/02XVieW

That's the one. I won't lie; it's great for the money and I would bank the SRPD being back on it inside a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I really like that. It's like a three-handed Speedmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My own 104 in white. I like it so much that I'm seriously considering adding the green version to my watch box. I honestly think it's one of the best steel 3 handers you can buy. It's fantastic value and yes, other stainless steel sports watches are available, with higher quality finishes and in house movements.

But? On a bang for your buck basis, it's IMHO hard to beat a 104..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Took the plunge. Popped up at a local store at a very good price.

Grail watch achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

A modern classic. Lovely watch.

Now move the goal post and redefine grail.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iguarantee

Well wear :)

I'd never really liked those watches until I tried a friends one on last week and was really impressed by the quality.

I took a look at Keanes website (Cork) and they had that version for €6700 (this is within the last 5 days), it's not on their website now as far as I can see.

A friend bought his one in the UK for £4,600 within the last 12 months, granted there's VAT etc. to consider in the price difference but by todays exchange rate that's more than a €1000 difference.

Could you tell what you paid for it? I'd actually like to get one but I'm not paying 20%+ more just to say I bought it in Keanes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Lovely watch and it's on my wanted list.

The bracelet looks well, but I do have a fondness for the blue rubber strap on it too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Keane's do have a bit of wiggle room in the Omegas, but buying gray (eg Chrono24) will save a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Yeah the rubber strap really changes it up , takes some of the bling and heft away from it.I got one of the zealande straps which are good.I haven’t tried the Oem rubber so don’t know how it compares .Wouldn’t mind trying the oem rubber and clasp but at 600 quid doesn’t seem great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just been out for a run so wore the running watch 😃

Homageception

• Advertisement

I do have a soft spot for this oul thing. It's wonderfully accurate considering its age, even not considering it. And scary levels of History(tm) behind that dial. It's my only watch that's still mildly radioactive. I say mildly... The dial is in such very good condition I daren't attack it with my amateur hour level of 'skill'. Feck it, I'll risk turning into the Ready Brek kid(older farts will get that ref.😁). Word to the wise if looking for one: The usual (mostly)Polish/Ukrainian "restorers" or fakers lume all the numbers or the 12, 3, 6 and 9(considering their results, some are wasted in the fake game). The real deal only has 12, 3 and 9 lumed.

PS Don't think I'd forgotten about you @Working class heroes and your search for same or similar. I've a couple of options I'm cooking up for ya. 🙂

Advertisement