Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

But why would Hamas sue for peace when Israel have declared no quarter will be given?

Israel have pretty much boxed Hamas into fighting till the last fighter.

Just who are the people in Gaza supposed to tell about the tunnels etc... phone the IDF hotline from your phone with no battery and no phone signal anyway. Do they try approach the IDF on the Frontline and hope they don't shoot first ask questions later? I'm sure the IDF wouldn't detain said person and interrogate them, think they are Hamas, illegally detain them in prison. The IDF would never do that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Hamas don't want peace. They are more than willing to sacrifice Gaza for their cause

The carnage in Gaza is needed to “change the equation”, Khalil al-Hayya, a member of Hamas’s top leadership body, told The New York Times.

“I hope that the state of war with Israel will become permanent on all the borders, and that the Arab world will stand with us,” said the Hamas media adviser Taher El-Nounou.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Children grabbed by the IDF are beaten -

• During arrest, 42% of children suffered

injuries, including gunshot wounds

and broken bones. A range of other

injuries were reported, from shoulder

dislocation, to bruising, to suffocation.

65% of children were arrested during

the night, mostly between midnight and

dawn.

• The majority of children experienced

appalling levels of physical and emotional

abuse, including being beaten (86%),

being threatened with harm (70%), and

hit with sticks or guns (60%)

https://resourcecentre.savethechildren.net/pdf/INJUSTICE-Palestinian-childrens-experience-of-the-Israeli-military-detention-system-SC-July-2023.pdf/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jesus the current update, backed by video, is that the soldiers executed one of the guys who stopped the terrorist attack (misidentified him as a surrendering terrorist)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The Gazans are between a rock and a hard place, between those who are willing to sacrifice their lives and those willing to kill them and their kids and others in their community in the thousands.

The Gazans will want revenge on the Israelis for these killings so are hardly likely to get rid of hamas, an organisation who will actually seek to get revenge.

The problem with your hypothesis is the Palestinians never think they have lost that is why they keep fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The US is to issue visa bans on Israeli settlers involved in violence in what might the first public sign of building impatience. Issuing of the bans would start next week.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1730638956155277367

And there was me thinking we had got past conflating Hamas jihadis and ordinary Palestinians

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They decapitated and mutilated civilians on October 7th, and not just Israelis or Jews. Abundant evidence of same on the thread.

People really need to stop comparing Hamas to the IRA. The SS are more their species. They are not just an illegal army. They are a terrorist death cult.

But sure you know one nice Palestinian therefore no Palestinians can be evil.

Not just Hamas. A mob assaulted one of the child hostages.

But sure you know a nice Palestinian so they must all be a great bunch of lads.

Self discrediting isnt it

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Interesting article from the New York Times, if the link doesn’t work (subscribers) you can read it from twitter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/world/middleeast/israel-hamas-attack-intelligence.html?smid=url-share

The IRA and UVF were gentlemen in comparison to Hamas/ Israel. They have a death toll in a week that took Ireland 30 years to match. The scales are not comparable.

Aid workers are not targeted as they keep the money rolling in, and it would be terrible PR. Hamas may be evil, but they are not thick

In relation to mirderous intent -

We have the recent events of 7/10 where they murdered Jews with abandon.

Gays were lynched in Gaza as soon as Hamas took power.

I can offer you no evidence of direct Hamas murders on the wider world, as they have thankfully not emigrated greatly. I can however cite the actions of radical Islamists on Europe who will happily kill westerners. e.g. Charlie Hebdo. Bataclan Massacre. Manchester theatre bombings, and of course the World Trade Centre. I have no doubt that Hamas jihadis would not have a similar M.O..

Now if you are going to get picky and look specifically for throat slitting as a method of murder, you will be going straight to ignore - it was clearly a figure of speech to refer to murder

• Advertisement

“UVF terrorist organisations did not just go around slitting civilians throats willy billy.”

You must have never heard about the “Shankill Butchers” then.

Lenny Murphy was an out of control psychotic lunatic who cared little if he was caught or not. He would have risen rapidly through the ranks of Hamas....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

More evidence that Israel has no interest in peace.

Israel is a genocidal rogue state.

More than 1 journalist a day has been killed in the conflict by Israel.

There were videos last week of Palestinan journalists receding calls telling them the IDF knew where their houses were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

It was very sad to see the Israeli who helped at the bus stop get executed by the IDF

• Registered Users Posts: 41 weary1

Sad but very predictable, the Israeli guy, Yuval Doron Castleman, was kneeling with his hands up when the IDF riddled him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There is a strong suspicion that some journalists have been deliberately assassinated by the regime : the death toll of journalists has surely been way too high to be accidental (perhaps Israel attempting to control the media narrative in the region). By contrast, only ten journalists or photographers have been killed in the Russo-Ukrainian conflict in nearly two years of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

"The Arab world will stand with us" sure they will, they will do everything for you, except allow you to come to their Country's. Because every Country that accepted Palestinians, in the past, even Muslim Countries paid a very dear price for it.

Yet hamas are the ones who broke the ceasefire early by firing rockets into Israel arent they? If they wanted peace they could have just not done that? But they don't want peace, they say they don't. They said "the carnage in Gaza is needed". But yeah, it's all Israels fault 🙄

Easy to agree to things you know have no chance of happening

"Perhaps he might be more suited to the IDF."

I doubt it. Murphy's fondness for using knives on his unfortunate victims would have ensured he would have passed Hamas' entrance test with flying colours.

• Advertisement

Yet hamas are the ones who broke the ceasefire early by firing rockets into Israel arent they? 

I'd say the families of the various people shot and killed by IDF soldiers during the ceasefire would beg to differ, wouldn't you? Some of these included children under the age of ten, and a boy outside an Israeli detention center having gone there to welcome a family member who was being released as part of the hostage swaps.

Or would you not think that the taking of 160 Palestinians by Israel during the ceasefire would have constituted breaking it no?

Were those actions against the terms of the ceasefire? If not then they didn't break it. Hamas killed people in Jerusalem and that also wasn't considered breaking it because it didn't apply there. Hamas fired the first rocket and therefore fighting resumed. This is after they violated some of the terms of the hostage release agreements also, and fired rockets just minutes into the start of the ceasefire too, which could have been enough for fighting to resume if Israel decided to do so, but they didnt. But again, yeah, all Israels fault 🙄

It's a fact that Hamas don't want a truce and they did their best to restart fighting, first by not sticking to the hostage release plan, or the terms, then by claiming an attack in jerusalem and in the end succeeded by firing rockets at israel. Again, they are more than willing to enthusiastically offer up the lives of their fellow Palestinians. No chance of peace while hamas are around.

Post edited by ceadaoin. on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Once again both sides violated the truce.

Also Bibi was just as keen as Hamas to continue the war. Regev indirectly admitted it in an interview, and Bibi himself has stated it publicly that the war would start again in order to try and complete his goal. I get you are pro Israeli but let's not distort the facts of the situation because it suits your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Back to murder & mayhem - I suppose it's what drives Israel.

The act of shooting civilians by IDF soldiers in Gaza absolutely violated the terms of the ceasefire. Or if you think not, you should ask why would such a term not have been included. Who would have rejected it.

Ceasefire negotiators offered solution options to both sides in the early days of the war. Hamas accepted 3 of the options, Israel accepted none.

You're pushing a narrative that Hamas is the sole opposition to peace when Israel time and time again has rejected choosing that option and is responsible for the vast amount of deaths in the conflict. For the gazillionth time, I'm not saying Hamas are innocent, but they are at this point most influential in being used by Israel to justify the killing of what is now eight thousand children in less than 8 weeks. Eight thousand!!!

We've now seen in our own lifetimes how what happened in Nazi Germany happened. Millions of people who buy in to the narrative pushed by the oppressor to justify the oppression and butchering of an entire group of people. Each of us only know ourselves exactly our own position on this matter, and the justification for it. But as billions of people judged Nazi's and the people of Germany for the actions of the Nazi party during WW2, so too are billions of people judging those tacitly or outwardly encouraging Israel to do what it is doing. And that includes everyone from Israeli media, to Israeli's who are having watch parties cheering on the bombs hitting Gaza, to Piers Morgan, to EU and UK politicians, to Joe Biden and the rest of the craven political group in the US who has allowed itself to be co-opted by AIPAC and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A well known Jewish lawyer in the UK makes the interesting point today that the British right wing press (Andrew Neil etc) claiming that the interests of Jewish people and Israel are the exact same thing and that anyone who criticises Israel is therefore anti-Semitic, is actually extremely dangerous stuff. It means thus that all Jewish people can be directly linked to the numerous war crimes of the regime and held responsible for them - leaving them wide open in fact to anti-Semitic attacks and criticism, rather than protecting them from it.

He points out too that many of these right wing British rags are traditionally no friends of Jewish people and are merely being highly opportunistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Here's the red flags to begin with:

* regime

* numerous war crimes - accepted a statement of fact

And even if true - how does that 'directly link' someone to alleged war crimes? Someone can write guff like that but then not join the dots and hope people won't notice. Seems clever but doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

I might share in interest in seeing X achieved, that doesn't mean if someone commits a crime to achieve it I am 'directly linked' to the crime. I have no hand or part in the crime. I might want to see X achieved but not by the same means.

A lawyer should know that would never stand up in court, but knows how to pull the wool over peoples eyes with a clever sounding argument.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement