Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Of course the Toyota Hilux can travel in any tunnel, as long as its big enough.....ask any Farmer about what they can do LOL 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Heard that yesterday, seems like there's definitely movement there, but doesnt sound like its over yet in mariinka ,

It doesn't seem as if the Ukrainians are trying to hold ground till theyre all dead -

And since the town has been contested for almost a decade i assume the ukrainians have fall back positions,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They used to be a staple of the Tara mines , usually in rag order but kept on driving

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The Ukrainians are churning out tens of thousands of fpv drones a month ,

Theyre cheap , and relatively simple , and although theyre becoming more resistant to jamming , they're still vulnerable to jamming , cold weather ,poor visibility, and short range

The lancets were more limited at the start of the war than they are now , but theyre still a high cost item compared to an fpv drone , but theyre faster , hard to jam with a 60 + km range , they need a spotter drone like an orlan to find their target , theyre always going to be in short supply compared to fpv drones

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

I kind of wonder if the Ukrainians are trying to bait the Russians. They managed to do it with Bakmut, and recently again with Avdiivka. Seems to be, that if you can get a *place name* into the Russia consciousness (and particularly Putin’s), then they are going to throw the kitchen sink and countless Mobniks at it in the attempt to “win” that position. Never mind if there is any strategic sense at throwing away so much life and equipment at the attempt, they will go all in.

I think Ukraine know this, and are using it against them. The Russians could have been attacking on a more strategic front, but they pissed away a lot taking Bakmut. They’re trying to do the same in Avdiivka, and have made the Russians already suffer horribly. Russia doesn’t even have the town yet for their trouble, and with any luck they never will.

But now a new word can float around Russian Telegram. “Mariinka” “We need to take Mariinka.” “Send thousands of mobniks to take a few meters of Mariinka…” And then Putin starts to demand Mariinka be taken now!

And so the mobniks come, get slaughtered by the AFU while they do a controlled withdrawal. Then Russians are eventually left with their “win”. A pile of rubble that used to be a town on a position that changes little strategically, and a mass grave brimming with people they really can’t afford to keep losing.

As the Ukrainian solider once said..”thank God they are so f***ing stupid”.

Most quads especially smaller ones operate on 2.5 GHz to 5 GHz frequencies so there easy enough to jam and disrupt and Russia are still very much capable when it comes to electronic warfare,as they proved in Syria when they were able to disrupt the targeting and weapons systems of a C130 spectare gunship providing air cover to US special forces on the ground, as you said batteries are an issue most quads can fly 20 mins or so on a good clear day even with large lipo packs but cold to freezing weather your talking a minute or before a fully charged battery dies due to the cold , some one claimed that they were blowing through thousands of homemade drones a week that's not easy to keep up with, basic frames are easy and quick to produce finding that many hobby motors and lipo battery packs is a big ask being the absolute majority of stuff is coming from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I dont really care who is behind the technology, it doesnt take away from my post, I think one drone is a copy if an Iranian one, but as far as I know their Lancet drones are made by a Russian company. What is a drone at the end of the day but a cheap mixture of old tech with whatever sensors, com links and software they are using. The West (created/couldnt stop) the creation of the band of pirates so that there is now an alternative eco system of tech and military tech so the idea that sanctions would kill russian weapons production was not going to happen. At worst is means they pay a premium for grey imports or use older tech so their kit is bulkier but works all the same.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

We've known since year one sanctions aren't working in the way people hoped ,and now there is talks about lifting sanctions by some in the EU , even the German want to set up a new system of supplying the Ukrainians with a single fund rather than different funds for different programs,I think they want a single fund of 20 billion set up , rather than the current systems of donations and refunding countries to modernize their own militaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

More videos of the Russian shooting surrendered Ukrainian soldiers. Their army is so unprofessional.

I can imagine is complicated for the Ukrainians if they dont get to choose the kit/quality they want, large military kit is all about ease of service and repairs/spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Fair enough.

Russia are piggy-backing off the "wonders" of globalisation and outsourcing.

They are taking advantage of reluctance and fear of Western countries to do anything more serious to stop them that will disadvantage their own companies, anger trading partners/countries that are involved in "sanctions busting", maybe damage global trade and the global economy (?).

Even with that, Russia have needed some more direct military help provided by another country (Iran).

I don't think any EU country/leader except Hungary/Orbán has talked of lifting the sanctions, and he is just a Russian stooge in the EU at this point.

He didn't want (more!) sanctions on Russia, but IMO was afraid to stick his neck out and veto them in the EU when the invasion started, because an election was coming up.

He has become bolder and more prepared to speak his true mind and even obstruct stuff in the EU since he won his election and is secure again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Oh, I know very well what Toyota 4 x 4's can do!! Fantastic vehicles, they do what's said on the tin, and much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

RuZZia being RuZZia. Perhaps another way to get more recruits for the war they've lost:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would hope having been so vociferous, Mick Wallace and Clare Daly maintain their apparent moral concern over this war and condemn Russia for this obvious bigotry and inhumanity. Ya know, in a quick 5 second comment before the pivot to how, Well Actually, it's all NATO's fault really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It hides under a communist flag but it is a Nazi state. Picture of Hitler on the wall. Gays banned and sent to die on the frontline. And soldiers with swastika tattoos being honoured in the Russian military. All's left is pograms against Jews in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You could make the same case vis a via the Sherman and the Tiger tank. However quality has a quality of it own. The Germans would have been more effective if they churned out larger numbers of P3's than looking for super weapons to win the war.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Russians made some minor gains recently. Bit worrying. But hoping it's one of those situations where they get quickly removed.

Russia has a substantial meat bag army in Ukraine now, and the number is going up.

The West needs to get off its collective ass and give Ukraine what it needs to end this.

A revolution in Russis seems unlikely.

All Eyes On Rafah

it was out of desperation in fairness, the Germans couldnt trade tanks with the Russian on 1:1 or even a 2:1, they neither had the men nor the fuel.

• Advertisement

Manpower is a problem for Ukraine now. The average age of their soldiers is 43, it was 30-35 at the beginning of the war. You can see more women in the combat footage lately.

Russia are claiming that 335,000 have enlisted this year. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

Thats an interesting fact about the average age of the Ukrainian soldier

Can you pass on the source for that

I think we may need to prepare 'for bad news' unless they get the weaponry needed or are able to create more international brigades. The current front line might become the new border.

All Eyes On Rafah

Since the start of the invasion, Ukraine has refused to release official counts of dead and wounded. But according to U.S. and European estimates, the toll has long surpassed 100,000 on each side of the war. It has eroded the ranks of Ukraine’s armed forces so badly that draft offices have been forced to call up ever older personnel, raising the average age of a soldier in Ukraine to around 43 years. “They’re grown men now, and they aren’t that healthy to begin with,” says the close aide to Zelensky. “This is Ukraine. Not Scandinavia.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭ginger22

I guess the EU could send some Ukranians back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

This time last year it was widely reported that Ukraine were deliberately restricting the size of their army. We were told they were focusing on creating a well trained well supplied force and were rejecting large numbers of recruit candidates. What is the truth?

Could be a mix of both.

Think we all assumed the UAF would be using combined arms approach by this stage, but with Western aircraft not on the scene yet, its just not possible.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not a chance. No country will send Ukrainian refugees back home to be drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well, we should show a good example and start next week. Any self respecting Ukrainian man here shouldn't need to be told. But if they do, so be it.

I'd hope their womenfolk would give them the boot up the arse first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I believe you were told off in the immigration thread for suggesting the same.

Here's a little reminder for you

"Refugee: a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement