Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Yeah and bundee just coming back from injury so no guarantees there. Just some really good depth in the squad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Ralston vs Henshaw is key

he's light copared to Robbie, never really convinced me for now but Wilk sees smth in him, potential he has indeed, and he's already a stealmate for opponent in defence..

he may be a bit more naturally skillful too

No rain tonight

Will favour light mobile locks Dowling/Murray bros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ralston reminds me a lot of Fergus McFadden, he's an admirably gutsy, hard working player. Unfortunately, he's not particularly powerful, fast, or elusive, and doesn't have a standout passing game. As a result, I feel like our attack suffers when he's at 13. He is probably the smartest defender in our squad so I don't mind him playing there against the likes of Leinster, where we may be defending more than attacking.

My feeling this season has been that our attacking shape is very simple and relies a lot on individual moments of brilliance from Forde and Farrell; the former running a lot of clever lines against the grain, the latter using his footwork and intelligent offloading game to create space for both himself and others.

Your reasoning stands bar one little element who has a name and is back tonight.

Hansen

His ability to change his position across an attacking backline and create sparks is huge difference. It will be seen, and demultiplate the basis you noted we build on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jopper

Message deleted

Post edited by jopper on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Unforgivable to blow that. Messed up a scrum trying to milk a penalty. Got away with it and then threw a crooked lineout that would have sealed a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Heartbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Being a connacht fan would break your heart.

Didn't play well but still should have won, that's a poor side we played (by Leinster standards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I see a lot of whinging from the other 3 provincial fanbases online over the years but nothing comes close to the pain of being a Connacht supporter.

Connacht scored 3 absolutely brilliant tries and still conspired to lose in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

And there you go. Years of years of the likes of Jack and more recently JJ.

both are complete rubbish but whatever

truthfully cracks me up

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Surely professional paid players can not make same simple mistakes over and over again for years. Years of no progress now. Simply a game we should have won,simple mistakes again.

Over turned peno at end first half was criminal bad. Happened last week with JJ in last min in South africa, simply mistakes to lose enidrough game at end too nd today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Being a Mayo football supporter is slightly worse than being a Connacht supporter but its close.

I was at the game tonight, the place was rocking after Kilgallen's try, the Clan was in full voice with the Fields. Mack gave us an edge in attack. But our lineout was a shambles and lost us the game. Blade was MOTM but I would question his game management as captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

The ref was a disgrace try 1 hand bags reversed penalty try 2 not backing up and yellow card I'm so sick of bad referee's I don't give a fk anymore

Could be a big lost 3 points at the end of the season. I imagine it will be pretty tight around the middle of the table for Champions Cup qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Agreed ref was v poor. But really can't blame ref when your up by 3 points and win a scrum penalty with 1 min left and still lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Another 3 points left behind to go with the Edinburgh result. Worked so hard to get ourselves a foothold but when your lineout isn't functioning you can't win against top sides. We had them there for the taking and gifted them the way back in.

The yellow in the first half is a big part of the reason that people turn away from rugby. Maybe by the letter of the law where all the responsibility is on the tackler it's right but in terms of basic common sense it was an outrageous decision and to me sends out the wrong message. The ball carrier leading like that is going to cause serious injury to the defensive player at some point.

The penalty for the bit of shoving after the scrum was very very soft but again especially with irfu refs in an interpro you have to be squeaky clean and not give them that opportunity.

Turning down 3 before ht was a big call and backfired. Then another series of lineouts after half time killed all our momentum. The dummy throw summed up the chaos on our own ball. That didn't change with Tierney Martin either which was very disappointing.

We looked well out of it then but fought our way into a winning position. From there our lack of game management was a joke.

I said it yesterday that if Joyce wasn't injured not having him in the 23 was bordering on incompetence from management. We had no leadership at the end and you just can't keep giving top teams a chance and expect to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,242 ✭✭✭✭phog

The reversed penalty was 100% the correct call.

I was at the match it was a joke decision Chris Busby?? Matt Busby dead would have reffed it better

How was being at the match change the fact that reversing the penalty was the correct decision.

Explain why and I'll tell you why not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think if you pull an opposition player by the scrum cap in a melee you run the risk of being penalised. The fact that Connacht were due to have possession makes it all the worse. Big turning point in the game.

Still don't know how Connacht lost that, the lineout crumbled in the 2nd half (did they throw to Prendergast much? He's normally reliable on 2 ball I'd have thought) and they still had chances at the end to close it out, pity

Maybe explain why you think the ref got it wrong.

We heard his explanation and it matched what we saw on TV.

OK troll not engaging

The yc for connacht quote rte commentators incredibly harsh.

At the match we taught it was a lens yc ffs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MOD: If you have an issue with a post report it, don't call people trolls

• Advertisement

You're the one claiming the reversed penalty was incorrect, it's up to you to present a reason why you think the officials got it wrong.

I've told you that the explanation the ref gave matched what we saw on TV and that it was the correct decision

How is that trolling?

Advertisement