Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, I'm not and I don't agree with the settlements, but every agreement that has been reached has been broken by others, not Israelis. They have agreed.

So, I don't agree with settlements, but I can understand why they think they are protecting themselves by doing it. Others broke agreements first, then Israelis have started illegal settlements, as a way of buffering themselves from their neighbours. It may not be right, but it is understandable.

If others agreed years ago to the agreements drawn up, Israelis would have no justification at all. As it is, they obviously feel they need to do it because they get nowhere with negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

But but but

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

They are not protecting themselves by building settlements. I dont think the Israelis even use that rationale. How does moving closer to the enemy make you more secure? It is a means of making sure any future Israeli state is bigger and the Palestinian one smaller.

The Palestinians haven't obviously felt they have been offered a good agreement while the Israelis think they were brilliant. That it is. It doesnt mean the agreements were fair. Just because a peace deal isnt agreed, that doesnt justify that one side can perform actions to make the next agreement even worse.

Its like Darth Vader saying, I have altered the deal - Pray I don't alter it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So the settlements in the West Bank, they protect Israel against which neighbors?

The more they expand the land, the closer they get to neighboring borders.

Think Russia attacking Ukraine because of the risk of NATO, if they had taken Ukraine, they would have an additional 4 NATO countries boarding mainland Russia. So occupy land to protect yourself by getting closer to your enemy? WTF kinda logic is that?

And building settlements on the area (not a neutral or buffer zone) places your own citizens closer to your neighbours.

It's madness to use that as an excuse, do you not agree?

What's next, take Jordan and Iraq and then complain that Iran is their neighbour?

Oh we better attack Iran to protect us now.

He would have supported Cromwell.

• Advertisement

It is completely impossible to believe these people when they say they don't support the West Bank settlements when they break world records in how fast they add seventeen buts to defend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The majority of people haven't a life where they are under the permanent subjugation from the military of a neighboring state which controls almost every facet of their lives to some degree. I'm not suggesting that the people involved on Oct 7th were/are the same as normal people in that moment, but that moment didn't happen out of nowhere. Their lives, their parents lives, their grandparents lives have been negatively influenced by the actions of others. You put any normal people through that, then I believe they would join a Hamas or similar group of the opportunity was there for them.

I could have phrased my original post differently because I do agree it is true that right now there is a difference between Hamas and 'normal' people but let me put it another way to make the point I was making. Say you could offer the entirety of the Gaza strip peace tomorrow, and that they would have completely free control over the territory, the ability to build an airport, build ports, come and go of their own free will. And to not leave in fear of persecution and threats from Israel, then I expect that the vast majority would select that option rather than being members of Hamas.

You can't judge members of Hamas without looking at the environment in which it exists. We saw people in the US arrested and charged with a plot to kill a state governor because they were mostly angry with Covid restrictions. Now you pick any state in the US, and you treat it by the other states like Palestine has been treated by Israel, and do you really believe there wouldn't be a similar resistance group formed immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Well, that poll that was posted here says Palestinians largely favor Hamas, so they want them to succeed.

Recall that after the last election in Gaza, Hamas murdered their opponents in the PA that won seats. No one protected those PA politicians in Gaza, either. So there was very strong support for Hamas then, and today, in Gaza and in the minds of Palestinians.

If you've read Hamas' charter, they don't want to live a life that's safe and free. Much like your average Russian citizen, the Gazans are content to be human shields or become martyrs for their cause of killing all Jews worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

See, that comment is probably quite fair actually as far as it goes but why oh why do they not also protest against Hamas violence?

Any

’Hamas Out’

’Hamas Surrender’

’Release Hostages Now’

posters?

If not, how can people go along and suggest they are for a ceasefire? It takes two to tango.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I see the British are operating over Gaza

Unmanned planes supposedly checking for hostages

According to minister on SUNDAY just now, wtf is that about . They have to get involved in everything ffs can't even build their own HS railway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Civilian loss is quite small given the scale of fighting, heavily populated urban element, no other army would have been as careful.

That high level of care may be the difference between Hamas surviving in the South West of Gaza.

I suspect that Israel will accept that rather than follow the advice and example of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,135 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They tried and failed - which proves my point. You are 2 for 2 in examples of why it is very easy to write... target the leadership but in practice, the examples show it doesn't work out that way in practice - otherwise countries could just get rid of conventional forces. Of course they don't.

You said an army like any other, you didn't say must be modern, but when I provide a modern example you still want to try to point score off 1940 references?

When your own posts contradict (Israel to declare a ceasefire and keep attacking!) and undermine your own argument, there's no need for me to add more at this point.

You shared your concept, posters can see what you've outlined and my critique of it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Hamas only want safe and free lives" might be the most comical thing posted on this entire site this year.

Trying to retcon them into being modern day Gandhi's.

You consider 6000 children killed a small loss? I'm absolutely baffled at that.

Even the Americans are telling Israel to be more careful. They are hardly saying that if no other army would have been as careful.

The battle for Mosul had an even higher population density than the Gaza strip but the civilian death toll was 11000 over 9 months. Israel managed that figure in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Did the Mosul residents have somewhere to escape to? Were they allowed to leave? Neither is true for Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You can judge members of Hamas by the fact that they murdered, tortured raped, burnt, and beheaded people. Nothing to do with the "environment in which it exists" surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

Possible explosion reported at the Bab al-Mandeb Strait.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Well they were being used as human shields by ISIS. Over the course of the 9 months a million were evacuated. Even at that, it would be the same population density as in Gaza right now. So the excuse that the high civilian death toll is due to the population density is ridiculous when compared to the battle of Mosul. Brutal terrorists, human shields, same population density, same western weapons being used. It's not like Israeli smart bombs are less smart than the Americans etc...

There's scant if any evidence Israel is trying in anyway to keep civilian casualties at a minimum.

Every single house in Mosul was systematically hit with a artillery round to punch through and kill any fighters , that was after months of evacuation of over a million people.

Estimates of 40k for dead in Mosul are also given, despite the long evacuation. No one will ever know really though.

I hope that the approach in Mosul is not replicated, total war.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What is it in their genetics that make them different? Is it the shade of "brownness"?

People are shaped by their environment. For Palestinians, that environment is shaped by Israel, and has been for decades and decades. Since before their grandparents time

• Advertisement

Simply wondering what was the basis for the strong resistance to an assertion that a certain group of people would be inherently just like other people. I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be.

If Israel fails in its aims of complete genocide and elimination of the Palestinians, then no doubt there will be another generation of Hamas equivalent organisation to come along in 15-20 years. My opinion is that it is Israel who control and create the dynamic and have ultimate responsibility.

What do you think is yourself that might cause this - assuming you have the same opinion that it is something inherently different to them rather than environmental?

Israel: "We gave the civilians warning to move south to refugee camps. For the ones who didn't move, it was their own fault they were vapourised in the school they were taking shelter in. They could have moved if they wanted to"

Also Israel: "Well the reason we had to bomb the market in the camp in the south is that we heard there might be a fella who liked Hamas walking nearby. It's not our fault that we killed the civilians. Hamas are forcing them to stay so that they can be used as human shields. Civilians can't just move as evil Hamas won't let them"

Shipping chaos at the Panama canal could lead to delays at the Suez canal.

Israeli shipping company to reroute around Africa citing security concerns.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Will you cop yourself on with your belief that the problems in that region are due to differing genetics, FFS .

I suggest you try reading the posts again in context.

It's either that or you are deflecting to question for some reason.

Too many on here are actively participating in the dehumanizing of the Palestinians people in order to justify genocide.

Horrendous scenes coming from Jabalia refugee camp after a mass bombing has just taken place. It's going to be in the hundreds this one.

- Camille Paglia

The below is satire ........... but is actually not that far from reality for some!

I came across that link in this article:

which makes the point that:

People are being sacked and cancelled not for “promoting violence” but “calling for a ceasefire” and being “critical of Israel”. The meaning of “hate speech”, Lakier argues, has become expanded “to include speech that in my view is totally legitimate, often pro-peace speech”. It is an attempt to redraw the moral lines around what is judged acceptable to invalidate Palestinian perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

The Hamas Palestinians gang raped the women before murdering them:

We are starting to see why the Israelis are so defensive living beside these monsters.

It looks like they planned to gang rape as many girls as possible before murdering them. Literally worse than the Nazis. And Irish people were marching to support Hamas yesterday. I hope the world ends soon. We must be coming towards the end of our time as a species. It has all gone wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I presume you are referring to my posts, so let me clarify what I said to save you from foolishly misinterpreting it.

Hamas leadership planned the attack and no doubt there are some, many, who knows for sure who want to maintain the goal of destroying Israel. Those who took part on the attack on oct 7th I'd be fine with saying think similarly. I have continued advocated for the targeting and removal of such people and at the very least the prosecution of those involved in carrying out the attack.

But I do not believe that the majority of whatever number makes up their forces likely feel this way. Purely from a logical perspective. Most people on the planet want peace and security above all else. That is just a simple fact. And pro-Israel posters were arguing on here that Hamas is popular because it gives jobs to people through joining the brigades. And if this is true, then is it not likely that they don't hold the same extent of feelings with respect to the motivation to destroy Israel?

You can disagree with what I say, that's fine of course, but there's no need to misrepresent what it is I am saying to try to score a few punches on a strawman.

(of course day by day, I'd imagine the desire to see Israel feel pain and death grows given what is happening so if Israel keeps it up, they will no doubt get to a 'sweet spot' where practically, all Palestinians who they haven't butchered hate them as much as is humanely possible, but anyone who says they won't think the same way if their community and families were being targeted and destroyed, is just plain lying).

Advertisement