Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear-end loader

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Years ago we used to have 20 or 30 weanlings feeding out in a yard. We had no loader at the time. To make life easier we hinged on side of the round feeder. It was very handy. Simply open the feeder and set back to it and tip bale on its end, remove plastic and net and shut feeder and away you go. You would have to be on concrete, not sure if you have that.

No but I could make up a timber floor for the bottom of the feeder to keep the silage off the ground. Hate the silage left over everytime the feeder is moved

Currently using a square feeder I made myself that has a timber floor. Zero waste out of it as the silage never touches the ground and cattle can reach every bit of the bale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

For 30 bales a year a back loader with a grab for small money will be perfect.

Yea it’s a bit more awkward than a front loader but that’s only going to make a difference of a minute or two on each bale.

To spend €18k on a front loader so it might save you a minute or two 30 times a year would be the height of lunacy!

As long as you’re not planning on travelling miles along the road with the bale on the loader there’ll be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Reggie, could you alter your square feeder so that one side hinges open? Your 2 spike handler would do then to drop the bale in.

Years ago we had a feeder like patsy describes above except we had it hinging at one end and used a big D shackle to close the feeder after the bale was left in. It worked a dream. We even had a cover on it, each half of the feeder was done separately and closed together then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

You could always put on a basic front loader and connect to spool valves as was done on machines for decades and eliminate the need for any joystick. I think it would still be better to use than a rear loader.

You can T off the vales and use manual or electronic isolators to isolate the loader if you need the spools while loader is fitted (or just take it off)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Either that or a cheap wee 2wd drive tractor and loader.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Seeminely Ireland is in recession, if you could battle on this year You might just buy an older tractor and loader for alot less next year. Also alot of big tax bills to be paid particular for dairy farmers for 2022 year. I think it's time to watch the pennies a keep the head down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have one that we use on a wee outfarm. They are handy for sure and plenty about for a few hundred euros.

ours was bought real cheap but it has a grab and all it needed was new pipes.

compared to a front loader it is cumbersome. Three lever chest and lift arms makes for a bit of flaff compared to our loader on the David Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

The three lever chest valve would be awful messing on a modern tractor. I'd say there's enough spool valves on the New Holland to do away with the chest valve, and just plug the hoses into the spool couplers on the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

The obvious solution 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea.

ours isn’t on a modern tractor it fits onto the MF699. It has a “bracket” that allows it hang inside the cab through the open rear window.

Advertisement