Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think the hey-day of the soap is definitely gone, but they are still watched by some. The 2000s caused a flood of British soaps going out 5 nights a week, leading to plenty disappearing by 2010, Brookside, Family Affair, The Bill, Crossroads and more recently BBC have axed both Doctors and Holby City.

I think Kevin is doing much as what Dee did and that is just to knock everything down without any real consideration.

There is no reform in these cuts. If anyone can explain to me why you'd choose July and August as the breaking point rather than November and December, please let me know, with Production returning in Feb 2025.

Breaking in July and August makes little sense, while we do have wet weather all year round, July and August surely are better for filming rather than November and December.

I would love to see the currently filming schedule of Fair City.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I staggered when I heard and had to steady myself by leaning on an elderly woman. Otherwise I would have buckled at this devastating news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Good example here of how bad he was at interviewing the bigger names. a total bag of nerves. Sutherland tells an anecdote about Shane McGowan and Tubridy can't sit still nor keep his mouth shut, just a series of mini-interruptions.

Just glad he's gone. His 'tribute' to McGowan had he been on the LLS would have been dire. Probably couldn't find two people so far removed from each other in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Tubs tried to butt in around 10 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

As much as I dislike him as an interviewer that wasn't terrible.

He mostly stayed out of it until the end and it was time to start wrapping up the anecdote anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I listen to Q102, when I'm at home, easy listening, background music. Apparently Tubridy was interviewed on the Breakfast show recently. I happened to hear a clip replayed this morning.

Everything is wonderful and the date he starts in January is so meaningful because bla bla bla. He and one of the presenters agreed that things happen for a reason. All I could think was, yes, they do.

The reason in his case, having had one of the softest and most highly paid jobs in Ireland and managing to lose it - GREED GREED GREED. That's the reason.

I can't help thinking that he probably looked down in the likes of Q102 in the past. He was wishing everyone happy Christmas and so forth and said 'your listeners, oh no actually our listeners'.

I doubt he ever thought this day would come tbh. Greed is a truly terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭supereurope

It's great though, isn't it? The public were told constantly Ryan was a megastar who had to be given shedloads of money to stop him leaving for the BBC or C4 or CNN, and now here he is on a regional Irish station and a UK station that hardly anyone listens to over there. More fool RTÉ for not calling his bluff earlier. Ryan was never a megastar, he was just well connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

The bigger picture needs to be looked at also. There are contractors on wages that are way out of kilter with the competition and now it has been shown that the UK is quite simply not interested. Local to the island is what matters.

I would also look at newsreaders on silly money to read stuff out loud.

Personalities like Darcy, Joe etc are the very obvious ones. Who would hire Joe outside of Ireland. Who in Ireland could afford him. RTE have been handed a golden opportunity to slash costs but they won't do it. The begging bowel will be out again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Ray Darcy, if his contract was not renewed I think would hang up his broadcasters earphones and just retire. His diction wold be good enough for a small UK radio station but I don't see him leaving Ireland. Living on a diet of porridge and sour dough bread, he doesn't have any huge outgoings.

The only thing Tubridy has in his favour is his diction and accent can work in the UK,

Joe Duffy however is the special case. No-one in the UK would be able to understand him. He has got zero pull outside of RTE. Even the likes of Galway Bay Fm would not want him because he's too Dublin centric in his views. I really hope Kevin Backurst has some balls when it comes to contract renewal time, and heavily reduces Joe's fee. 350k a year would a large amount for a talented broadcaster working prime TV on a national station. 350k for 90 minutes a day on a radio station that due to its timing has got pretty much a guaranteed listenership is genuinely obscene. He's not a smart man, but he surely knows that him doing Liveline is the only thing he can do. So offering him a reduced contract of 100k should be cause for champagne in Duffy Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The problem you have in RTE is it's a run like a bog standard Irish state body with all the ineptitude, waste and cronyism that that entails, but with the glitzy caché of a big media operation which means they think they need to be renumerated in a corresponding fashion.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm not sure how many RTÉ personalities can now say (via Noel Kelly) "If you don't pay me megabucks, I'll have signed a contract to host a show on BBC1 by the end of the week." If RTÉ continues to fall for it, then they really are a bunch of fools (but worryingly, fools with other people's money at their disposal.)

I'm even not sure where the "Pay me loads or I'll go the BBC" negotiation argument comes from... the UK has more than enough talented people to fill media roles, so why would the BBC need to look across the water to an Irish presenter? The Irish who have made it big in UK broadcasting are those who went over while they were still young and at the start of their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I suppose it comes from Wogan who was a genuinely fantastic broadcaster. And then Graham Norton, a very different but undeniably talented broadcaster.

Plus a few other Irish personalities who have gone to the UK and done well for themselves. Dara O'Briain, Dylan Moran, Ed Byrne, to name but a few.

As a result practically anyone in RTE thinks "well if they can do it anyone can" - totally ignoring that it took talent, luck and a lot of hard work for all of them. Three things alot of irish "stars" are not predisposed to.

I honestly think that whole argument about "Pay me more or I'm off to the BBC" is an anachronistic red herring. I think it was a reality in the past when people like Gay Byrne did flirt with US networks in his heyday but in recent years it was nothing more than an excuse for those within the golden circle to pay themselves higher salaries than the market actually dictated.

I don't believe for a second that Dee Forbes ever considered the likes of Ryan Tubridy flying the nest for UK radio to be a possibility. She wasn't a fool. She was a cynic with a blank chequebook. Far easier to just give the people already in the job whatever they wanted rather than actually do your job and secure the best person for the best price possible to the licence payer. As I said in a previous post, it's the Irish state body mindset. Performance, metrics, capability doesn't come into it. It's someone else's money, books don't need to be balanced. Don't rock the boat. Collect huge pension and golden handshake on your way out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Unfortunately what you describe has been going for at least 40 years.

Plenty more other than Tubridy involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Shame that Dee has a bout of (what a poster magnificently said some while ago now!) "Long Coward"

Whatever happened to accountability and responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

My Parents can't understand a word of Tubriby, they actually switch the radio off, his diction is appalling, running words into words and massive amounts of mumbling.

I imagine Mike Murphy getting pissed off at Gay Byrne in the 1980s.

I imagine Mike in a office with the Heads of RTÉ back in the early 80s, smoking a cigarette and drinking a whiskey, saying that they need to starting paying more money or else, and the then DG taking a sip of Cognac telling "My dear Mike, the top broadcaster in RTÉ isn't getting what you are looking for, you expect us to pay big money to you?"

Then imagine Mike waiting along a corridor in RTÉ and approaching Gay "Look, Byrne we could be getting paid more, ask them for at least €500,000, so that I can get some money".

As I have said before Derek Davis said he was very well paid during his time on LIVE AT 3.

There is no change with any part of RTÉ. It is all about self preservation, **** the audience and the licence fee payer.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That’s exactly what happened ….with ‘relativity’ down the line, as was reported.

Nice person called Fred O’Donovan was the head honcho at the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Living on a diet of porridge and sour dough bread, he doesn't have any huge outgoings.

I can't stop laughing 😂

• He once stated that on his porridge diet that he has very healthy outgoings, so to speak 🤣🤣

• Tubridy has a very limited range of vocabulary and phraseology which he considers “cool”. Bonkers, delicious, the latter being applied to anything that wasn’t remotely edible, even in the strangest of imaginations, like a book or a sunset. Yes, most presenters have go-to phrases, Gaybo had “the country is banjaxed”, but it was applicable to many national scenarios that people spoke about in the 80s etc. Ryan pulled all his out of a Willy Wonka book, and he doesn’t stay off a very low level serving of simplistic fantasy adjectives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

I’d say he’s feeling the pressure of reality now.

10am to 1pm five days a week is a lot of airtime.

We know he doesn’t have the talent to do it and he’s been lying to himself all these years. I wonder if deep down he knows it too ?

I hope he doesn’t get away with any Irish ‘diddly dee’ BS. Surely nobody would tolerate that level of cringe or would the English lap that up ? Because that’s all he’s has to sell.

I think there is still time for him to find a reason not to start the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You mean some crap like he loves Ireland too much to leave it

I'd say it's fairly unlikely. By being in London, he can bang on endlessly about all the amazing bookshops over there, plus he and his media pals can tell (and print) tales about how amazingly he's doing over there - and hope no one bothers to check the ratings.

I remember when LFC (Liverpool football club) fans were concerned about their club they, as a very large group, made contact with the bank (I think it was RBS) to threaten a product boycott if they provided further funding for the then owners of LFC. It worked.

I never understood other large groups not taking this type of coordinated action. It’s easier now than ever before, via social media, to coordinate such action.

So could we, and all the people from Ireland, target the advertisers of Virgin radio in an effort to get our money back from Ryan Turbridy ?

A very simple - ‘we won’t listen and will boycott your products until Turbridy pays back the money he owes’.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭chrisd2019

Putting LFC and Tubridy in the same league is over inflating one side by a huge margin I think !

To be honest, I think even if he had a very tranquil, pedestrian show on BBC4 of a Sunday evening with a mainly over 60's audience, he couldn't get by on a diet of Irish "diddly dee" - It's 2023. The UK is a very different place to Terry Wogan's heyday. I don't think that constituency really exists anymore....... ie red trouser wearing English middleclass who just love a charming Irish lilt on the wireless to remind them of rugged coastlines and pints of Guinness........! I sincerely doubt anyone listening to Virgin UK at 10 am of a morning after Chris Evans is going to buy that stuff.

That's why the move is intriguing to me. I don't know what they think they are getting with Tubridy. From the DLB's perspective, it's almost a puzzler too. He certainly doesn't want to move to London. If he had any ambition or desire in that regard he would have made this move 15 years ago instead of taking over the LLS to turn it into a weekly wake. He would much rather be at home in Dublin and safe in the bosom of RTE. So all I can see is he's A) making a small few quid by his standards but paying the bills and b) looking to the disinterested spectator in Ireland like he's made a success of himself outside Ireland. This will ultimately keep his caché high enough to engineer a return to RTE in a couple of years time, when he hopes this will all be forgotten. Would anyone blink an eye now if Jonathan Ross returned to the BBC? Of course not. Sachsgate is ancient history. Most people would barely remember it. That's the long game Tubs is playing I think.

There’s a decent sized population in Ireland that would rather have the money than leaving it with Turbridy.

A bombardment of correspondence with Virgin advertisers would definitely have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

He is gone. Leave him off. Just wait a few short years and RTE will prise him back from the UK for a snip at €500k per year complete with a picture of him pointing at some random person (aka another RTE celebrity). Then you can start your boycott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

You might get four or five people to sign up.

Don’t think Virgin will be shaking in their boots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement