Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Enjoying a spot of afternoon tea in the hills of Sri Lanka. Have this watch nearly four years and although I’ve added other watches to the collection i still enjoy wearing the Tudor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Zenith last night it really is a stunner

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah, it's very saucy all right, but might be able to get a bit of a discount from an AD on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

A Roamer refurb, apparently…..

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

What takes you to Sri Lanka out of curiosity? Folks around here love a good back story in fairness 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I hope it was Celon Black to go with the Tudor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I work in the Middle East and it’s only a 5 hour flight to Colombo so makes for a really attractive short break holiday destination. Fourth time here and I really love it as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

A 5hr flight for me would be long haul 😀 But Id be a more a Ryanair man than a 1st class in emirates guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Lovely watch. I have been following a few late 90's early 00's Chronomasters on chrono. I'd love to try one on in person for size but love the history behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Picked this up last week. Nomadic Maraí (Irish for Seafarer)

got the bracelet which is superb quality, rubber strap it’s currently on and a lovely Nato strap. Comes in a lovely watch roll with all the tools required for strap replacement/adjustmemt. Nice clean dial, a lovely colour combo with the yellow seconds hand I think. BB58 at a quick glance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'm based in Canada, I paid $6500 for it, so whatever the exchange is on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Very nice, more dive watches need a display caseback

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've been bombarded by their insta ads over the last year or so. The ads never sparked my curiosity in the way your photo of the case back and their lovely take on the rotor.

Very nice and well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

It’s a nice looking watch but they seem to be to Tudor what steinhart is to Rolex , although a lot more expensive than steinhart.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

One of these is on my hit list - would love to try yours on some time if you'd be so kind

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My dubious history turned into ploughshares German watches after their annual regulating. The middle Alpina is running a few seconds a day slow, but I don't have a timegrapher, so it's a tad hit and miss. 😁 AKA gunthering(horological term). The other two are pretty much spot on. Not overpriced dealer speak "plus/minus a few minutes per day, as was and can be expected with vintage watches" ballsology.

I'm glad I was anal/nerdy/weird enough back in the day to grab a few contemporaneous straps when i could, when they were dirt cheap and more gettable.

Major aside, cos me: Goes for the book under it too. Many moons ago when the (easy to buy stuff) interwebs was new and being interested in WW2 aviation an' that, I bought a load of autobiographical books from the post war years, written by people who'd been in the thick of it on all sides of that conflict. Always went for first edition hardbacks with original covers(mainly because I like the aesthetic vibe of the time), and because I wanted the first out of the gate 'honest' scribblings before later editions toned some things down and the histories of why.

Case in point the above book; Stuka Pilot by Hans Rudel. Most decorated German pilot/anything of WW2. They literally had to keep inventing new medals for this guy. He sank a few battleships, took out countless tanks, gun batteries, trains and fortifications. Basically, if you were on the Russian Front on a bicycle painted green and not in "the Germans wore grey" camp, you were likely in trouble of being divebombed into atoms. He kept on fighting even when his leg was blown off(as can happen. Apparently) during one sortie. He even wanted to rescue hitler in his last days by flying a Stuka into Berlin to pick him up(No less of an authority; Eric "Winkle" Brown noted it was one of the few German aircraft that had very good brakes and short field performance). This guy was Insanely brave and skillful, but also a committed nazi. Kinda sours the milk really. He was also a puritan, even to his men, and possibly grew the notion of German folks having no sense of humour(they really do, but it can be very surreal at times😁). Legged it to South America, as nazis tended to do...

The German edition of the book had a second part about post war Germany and how he wanted to bring back the nazi party. As you don't. No. Really, you don't. Even for the cool uniforms(to be fair...). There was huge public interest in tales of that war, but no publisher would touch his. Save for one in Dublin of all places.

Needless to say they edited out his "Wahey! I'm a true blue nazi you know" second section. Douglas Bader wrote the foreword for the English language version. Very much a brave and 'plucky' chap on his own to be sure, made greater in the public mind by books and film, but also well known as a bit of a thundering prick on a few levels. Let's just say far more on the Right than the Left.

For me anyway and pretty much from my very early days of finding them as a teenager, a huge part of old watches is how they could connect me/us to another, often very different time, the folks who wore them and the history and stories they were witness to. They fulfill their primary purpose of telling the time, while also telling the time.

TL;DR? Too late. 😲😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Coincidentally, I have these - below - on my bookshelf and read most of them. Collection celebrating 100 years of the RAF. Ronald Dahl wrote one about his time as a 6'3" fighter pilot in tiny cockpitted World War One planes.

In Dachau this year I came across their only Irish prisoner, John McGrath from Elphin in Roscommon. He was manager of the Savoy cinemas in Dublin and Cork when they opened and ended up as manager of the Theatre Royal in Dublin (Hawkins Street). I found this all out afterwards for a piece I wrote on him, out later this month.

The pilots all seemed to wear watches. Just to keep this post relevant...

• Advertisement

The ZicZac Straps landed on my doorstep this morning. I am delighted with the quality, fit and finish of them. 2 are being immediately pressed into service with new shoes on my Blancpain (black crocodile) & my Sólás (Blue python). I have a blue Croc that will likely live a short while on my blue Seamaster, although I do think the Python might end up suiting that one more. The last strap is for the better Half's tank.

Very nice, I got the customs notification for my Uncle Seiko straps today as expected! Hopefully will get them early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I got a bill for customs a few weeks ago and paid it the same day. It took two weeks for customs to release it to An Post, so prepare yourself that it might take a while.

I had 2 customs charges due in the past week, 1 raised & paid on 30th November, 2, raised and paid on the 2nd December & delivered today. AnPost's notification system if you have a charge, via text or email is very handy. It does mean that you need to pay careful attention to any messages received as the scammers are always on the look out.

Feck... I might be moved by then...

Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I got onto customer service, and they did say that they were hiring temp staff for Christmas so maybe that will help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going all Le France 1972 today.

C'est la Funkaaay and such. 😁 The profile is gas, real flying saucer stuff, as was the fashoon of the time.

Originally got it as an 80 quid spare donor/movement for another electronic Lip I have that had apparently died, but when it showed up in the post(loose, in an envelope😳) bravely ticking away, I didn't have the heart to tear it apart. 😔 The sap I am. 😁 So broke out the strong mugs of tae and got the dead one going again(still going too) and this one was saved.

Turned out to be very accurate too. Runs +6 per day, consistently. These Lip RR 134 electronic movements were, along with the Accutron, the first truly successful and robust battery driven watches. First with a date too.

But unlike the Accutron, which blew mechanicals out of the water, it uses a balance wheel in the usual thinking outa the box French way, by the power of magnets, impulses and magic pixies, so accuracy was around the same as a 'good' mechanical, if potentially a little more consistent(which is what I've found). Whoer to regulate though. Oh and that one ickle diode(to stop any potential arcing iirc) was how they could claim it was 'electronic', rather than just 'electric'. 😁 A few other brands(mostly American) bought these movements in during the 60's and 70's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

My bargain Casioak solar finally turned up. Definitely a summer watch.

I've been good, first watch I've bought this year! Have still been endlessly debating my options of a higher end diver.

Did try on the Seiko Glacier 62MAS again at weekend. Still leading the way on the short list. Sinn 104 and Doxa Sub 200 are probably the main other contenders. Do wish they had slightly better bracelets with a ratcheting extension. Doxa Sub 300T does have that but is really blowing the budget at €2k.

Any option out there I'm missing with a quick adjust bracelet. Christopher Ward I know is one, I do like some of their watches but as a brand I'm not so sure. Monta's are well regarded but pricier and again not enough pedigree as a brand. Not blowing the budget option would be a Save the Ocean King Samurai or the Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500 or I could get both!

This 110 year anniversary Seiko Laurel SPB401J1 really caught my eye though. Higher 28k beat movement and enamel dial it really was stunning in the flesh. Maybe I should branch out from divers for a special piece. This certainly is one, know it wouldn't get as much wear as a diver but would be a very nice change every time I did.

Excuse the first photo, very hard to get a decent shot with all the spot lights in the ceiling.

Video does it a lot more justice.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Treated myself to my first proper automatic watch to mark 10 years with the same company. They give a 250 voucher so why not.

Really like it, wears very nice and isn’t too big. Think 42mm is about the right size for me. I am a bit disappointed with the bracelet, I guess I expected a bit better quality. I have a Tissot PRS 200 from about 2010 and the bracelet is much better quality.

A trip to Kildare Village is on the cards before the year is out so may have another purchase this year 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Excellent choice. I have worn this almost exclusively on the bracelet, which I think is excellent, but love the retro vibes when on leather.

Advertisement