Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I didn't realise there was a rule to stop play because a goalkeeper gets an injury.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Another injury for Newcastle, Pope looks in a fair bit of pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That's not our set up, but our set up means we have no control in games so we have been penned back a lot of the time.

Maguire is a solid defender nothing more, always has been, we have been playing teams that play to his strengths, direct and aerial a lot. He will struggle when up against teams who pass it round the ground, quickly down his sides.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

That's always been the rule as long as I've been playing and watching football...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He was well off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Joelinton is some man for a fake injury.

Whatever the set up is meant to be, when Utd have no control and can't keep pressure up the pitch, and his main job is simply to defend his box, he's fine.

Newcastle really are lacking a proper number 9. Isak really has been mostly unnoticable tonight despite all the possession and chances. A Shearer type player would transform Newcastle and propel them into league challengers. Injuries aren't helping but a big signing in January might come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ten Hag rightly complaining to the 4th official about Newcastle having more than one person in the technical area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Shockingly poor United team. A few recent lucky wins can’t hide that fact

In fairness, he should be more focused on his teams inept preformance, annoying at the 2 lads freely being in the area is.

I wasn’t ranking the things he should be most annoyed about. I suppose my point could have been better put, the PL amended the rules this year, because of Tindle’s behaviour last year. And they are ignoring their own rules. Either it’s a rule or it’s not.

I agree, it is annoying and it should be referenced by managers to the media - they are surely the most guilty of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

The biggest problem United have is their supposed big players Fernandes and Rashford give no leadership whatsoever.

Until United get rid and acquire proper leaders it ain’t going to get better. Also, how is Martial still getting game time. He offers nothing at all. Surely there is some young lad in the u21s who deserves a chance ahead of Martial.

For all the flack Maguire and Shaw have gotten over the last couple of years at least they work hard and deliver a performance most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just want to clarify, Newcastle won 1-0 home to a team featuring Maguire, Dalot, Mainoo, McTominay, Garnacho and Martial right? Because I would swear I’ve just heard the commentators as usual going on as if they won 6-0 and gone top.

Ive no love for United but I would be raging listening to them going on non-stop about Newcastle’s injury crisis after what they’ve suffered this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Alan Tate booked for it today in the Burnley game. It's just poor and inconsistent officiating not to have done Tan-dall for it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm not disputing it, just saying I didn't realise it was an actual rule. I just assumed it was something that happened out of decency.

Not sure if it's Eddie Howe been English or what, but Sky and BT absolutely love Newcastle these days and he always gets a easy ride from the reporters after the game regardless of the results.

Brave Ange gets the same from Sky. Super weird stuff.

Give them a few month's with Ange, I remember when Klopp first came to Liverpool he got that love all treatment...big Ange will be getting it in the neck by the end of the year. But never good aul Eddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It was a bizarre experience listening to the love in for Newcastle in the commentary.

"The revolution" is how they're referring to falling arse first into a pile of blood money as well as the constant refrains about Newcastles injury crisis and how great their support is yadda yadda.

Ultimately Newcastle beat a Manchester United side who have been on course for a bottom half finish all season, beating this United side is like beating Fulham or West Ham or whoever else that might b expected to lurk between 8th and 12 the in the table.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

so many at United dont care , like Rashford , we had a similar problem at Everton , and we are slowly getting a team that cares, should be the bare minimum for me, effort; Rashford, Martial, Sancho have talent , but ther ratio of wages to effort is apalling

If they got paid wages on a ratio to their effort, they'd need to get the dole as they would be broke.

Not sure what Sancho brings, huge money to buy him and serious wages but I've never really seen him do much of anything and he is there a few years at this stage.

Martial - never was and never will be good enough to be leading the line of any big club.

Rashford - was nearly unmarkable last year and always looked like he was likely to score - against any team - but this year he is brutal and gives a proper whiff of a player who wants a transfer. The sheer lack of effort is astounding for a player who has proved himself to be Quality but equally, this season, looks like a player who really should not be starting as he is fairly crap with a bit of an issue - whatever the reason.

Compare him to Maguire, who literally gives it his all, no matter what - and he has been the butt of a many a joke for his deficiencies, but he totally warrants his starting place atm.

Is some of the talk about motivations etc not a bit lazy? The CB partnership is Maguire and Shaw (a left back), the CM partnership is Mainoo (a child) and McTominay. This is the spine of the team. I don’t think any of these people have any real attitude problems but we also know that this is a very bad spine to a team. Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Some of it might be, but likes of Rashford a joke. Know only saw 2nd half, but few mins before goal rashford got beaten on the wing, he just huffs and turns around and walks back towards the play. This didn't happen down near Newcastle goal, he was about 10 yards from own box. Guy offers nothing, if he got sent off it'd change nothing

Incidents like this get emphasised to a different degree when the team is doing bad though, right? If the team is doing well and creating chances for Rashford, nobody is talking about this. I'm not even defending him really, but I still think the conversation gets blown out of proportion. United have won 5 out of their last 6 league games before today (yes I'm aware it was a friendlier part of their schedule), and today they've lost 1 nil away at a team with an incredible home record who also beat Aston Villa, Arsenal and Chelsea there. And immediately the whole conversation (across the board) goes back to the performative 'what can we do about these United player's attitudes?' conversation. When really if you look at the 2 lineups today, I don't see how we could have expected United winning to be the more likely outcome.

TNT have broadcast things from SA in the past. Rio bigs SA up and has been invited out to fights. Maybe there’s some sort of relationship there? And that’s why there’s a bit of a love in? It is a little sycophantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely.

Didn't see yesterday's game, but this is a poorly assembled squad, going through some injury problems. There are certainly some cultural and disciplinary problems in the club, but it's too simple to put everything down to Rashford and his attitude - he's always been a streaky player. When he's hit, he's very hot, eg after Xmas last season, but when he's not he's not, and there is no in between. He carried himself with a hangdog expression at times that does him no favors but I don't necessarily think he's a bad egg or has a bad attitude.

There are many others that ETH should worry about before him.

I need to reemphasise also. This crisis Man United team that everyone needs to be ashamed of, is 2 points behind the Newcastle and Tottenham teams who we can’t remove from our mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you just look at the table you won't get a true picture of what is happening at United.

They haven't won away from home against a top half team since Oles time. They've also had some seriously lucky wins this season where they've played awfully and someone popped up with a goal from nothing. That reliance on a moments will eventually come up short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There is clearly a big gap in quality between the top 3 of City, Arsenal and Liverpool and the next clutch of teams including Villa/Spurs/Utd et al. What United have been able to do is avoid draws, snatched a few wins that maybe were undeserved or clutch wins, depending on your bias/POV. They usually either win or lose, while for example Liverpool have dropped points in 5 games (4 draws).

Going to be a big battle between those sides for positions 4 and 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It was very evident against Galatasaray, and to a lesser degree yesterday, but the attitude in that Man Utd squad is horrible.

Every other player has their hands up complaining when a team mate doesn't pass to them or shoots instead. The captain Bruno the main culprit but also Martial, McTominay, Rashford very guilty of it too. Garnacho is a kid but has mastered it already. Constantly annoyed at each other. No real unity. A disjointed collection of individuals who want to do it for themselves. And it's individual moments that are getting them their wins against Luton, Fulham etc.

Contrast that to Newcastle, who have worse injury problems, and they are a real team collective. I don't like to give Newcastle much praise because of the ownership outfit and diving / faking injuries etc but credit where it is due, Howe has them playing as a unit. They are unable to make subs lately and have the same 11 playing every game but they are working for each other every minute or every game. They value the team over individuals. Antony Gordon the standout atm.

All points count the same. If we want to talk about luck relative to those other teams, Spurs literally won a game on the back of a VAR malfunction. Thats a lot luckier than Man United grinding out unconvincing 1 goal wins against average teams.

The narrative weaving here is colossal. United are not a particularly good team at all, but everything around them is discussed in extremes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

They count the same but there's a big difference between winning at home to Luton and still having to go away to Man City compared to winning away at Man City away and still having to play Luton at home.

Yeah, of course but these gains are marginal. Very few beat Man City in the home game anyway and most of them will beat Luton away.

What a free kick from Trent...

Thunderbolt of a goal, 2 absolute crackers from Liverpool!

Thomas Bramall surely can't ref again at PL level after this. Bournemouth players on yellows running around fouling people non-stop and ref just bizarrely refusing to take the 2nd one out.

3-3 all 3 Liverpool goals have been real crackers.

• Advertisement

4-3 Trent gets his goal, what a game !!!

Mad game, Liverpool could have scored 10 and yet anything Fulham hit found the back of the net...Could be a long few games for Liverpool with Allison between the posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Can someone explain the VAR rule that meant that Brighton didn't get a corner when Colwill didn't handball, but headed the ball behind? Instead Pawson gives uncontested drop ball to Chelsea keeper.

That wasn't great from Ederson. Super speed from Son to get away from Doku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

OG? Son with two already. One at either end within two minutes.

• Advertisement

Son scored for both teams in 2 mins 17 seconds. Surely a record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Nunez-esque from Haaland there.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Haaland smashes someone in the face, and not for the first time, barely a warning. Grealish falls over at the merest touch and porro is booked.

Good to see the consistency. Think halaand will have to seriously injure someone someday before one his kicks or elbows is ever punished

Silly Bissouma.

Rodri and Haaland with the clutch tackle and assist.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Genuinely think that should be a red for gvardiol. It's high, he has absolutely zero control, completely misses the ball, and is lucky the player he tackles actually got the ball because otherwise he's going into him full on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement