Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Trailer on Tuesday.

They probably got hit with questions as soon as it hit December

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Before the Geoff awards. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God damn but this looks like it has potential. Hard not to get hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Dumbing down games has evolved.

Theres yellow paint on a ledge. It glows when you press the bumper button. Protagonist says "There's a ledge, I need to climb it" and now just in case you are really stuck, they'll kindly light up the button you need to press 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If they’re optional, extra accessibility features are only to be welcomed. If it gets in the way of the game design, that’s one thing - like a character telling you a puzzle solution before you’ve even had a chance to think about it. But finding ways to allow more players to play more games, without compromising the design, is very much a good thing.

I was struggling to think of a use case where this would help accessibility. But I guess learning/cognative difficulties is a disadvantage this could help with And of course we'll be able to turn it off, hopefully. Unlike Aloy who does not have an off switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

3 new live services coming to Fortnite

About LEGO Fortnite

LEGO Fortnite is the ultimate survival crafting LEGO adventure. It introduces vast, open worlds where the magic of LEGO building and Fortnite collide. Designed for people of all ages to enjoy together, the game will encourage creativity, experimentation and collaboration through play.

LEGO Fortnite is the first digital play experience from the long term partnership between Epicurean and The LEGO Group, and will be available December 7, 2023 with an E10+ rating.

About Rocket Racing

Rocket Racing is a supersonic arcade racer where players drift, fly, and boost with friends through an ever-growing selection of tracks. Rocket Racing is developed by Psyonix, the visionary team behind Rocket League, and will be available to play on December 8, 2023 in Fortnite with an E rating

About Fortnite Festival

Fortnite Festival is a new music game where players can play in a band with friends or perform solo on stage with hit music by their favorite artists. Built by Harmonix, the studio behind the iconic music game Rock Band, Festival marks the beginning of music gaming in Fortnite.

The Weeknd will kick off Fortnite Festival Season 1 as the game's first Music Icon when the game goes live December 9, 2023 with a Teen rating.

In fairness to the off coloured ledge, older games it was very clean what was or wasn't interactable as everything had a lot simpler texture and geometry wise.

Might be nice for less experienced players or very young players for tutorials.

The game has a pop up to say press R3 and X and then both light up on controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

GTA 6 leaked videos (new) online today, R* swiftly taking them down but it's looking like I've of the head devs son's friend leaked them. Ooooff. If this is true, that dev is gonna have a rough meeting Monday morning.

Vids are on twitter, camera phone video of a monitor showing an open world game with the camera panning around. Looks good (for phone footage) and pretty believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Got to imagine that kid won't be invited back anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think that guy is pretty high up. Is he the studio head or something. It's a huge issue with work from home. How do you keep a game secret when it's in a few hundred different houses with people that don't work for you. I'm surprised it's not more common to be honest.

One thing that drives me mad is Devs that don't check text size in games. They sit at a desk building and testing it so can read the prompts no problem.

I've a 65" TV and I've lost count of the amount of games I can't read the tiny in screen text in. So when it says press X to hit. I'm squinting at the TV trying to figure out what's going on.

That might be a sign of getting old but if the button lit up I'm okay with that 😅.

Good example. I'm no spring chicken either and old age comes for all of us (if we are lucky), anything that allows me to keep my hobby as long as possible is a good thing.

I feel bad for criticising this now 😔

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It not even a problem with large TVs: I've played so many switch games unplayable on handheld mode cos the text is miniscule, with no option to change it either. Clearly only tested - if even? - on Docked Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West and the climbable surfaces look exactly like the non climbable ones, so without the option to scan to highlight climbable surfaces I wouldn't know. They do have yellow ledges and handholds in some areas though but they don't look too out of place in those places.

It does come down to how it is implemented though. If they make you stop looking at the screen and look at the controller to show it light up, then it will be a pain. Like any time you have a first time user experience that freeze the game until you have read the instructions. 100% of the time I bash through those ....and then have no idea how to play 😂😂

Like others have mentioned if there is player control over how much they want the in game character to help you, or how orange the legs are , and how often to show you the colours then I'm okay with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been a while since I tried it but isnt there a 'detective mode' that highlights the surfaces?

I don't have a problem with in the normal game like with subtitles or whatever but in menus I've the opposite problem on console they make the text and icons huge making inventories or logs awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I think the worst game I've ever seen for tiny text was the New 3DS version of Xenoblade Chronicles. The text was barely 5 pixels tall and to make things even worse the bottom screen wasn't used at all, that game would have benefitted immensely from offloading the hud and on screen text to it. Imo the way it was done essentially made it unplayable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think games should have a "test" area where you can get to re learn all the moves and get a summary of the plot up to the point in the game where you currently are.

This would help hugely when you go back to a game after months of being away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

One thing that the Wii U got so wrong is that there is a huge time gap between looking at the TV and looking at the controller screen. You've got to move your head. And you drop out if the game for a second or two. PITA

Also, if you've "old" sight you need distance lenses for the TV and reading lenses for the controller screen. Or bifocals 😁 or just use a regular controller and not use the second screen at all.

The 2/3/DS don't have these problems as you just need to move your eyes. You are always in the game. And the distance is always the same. Having the 2nd screen is brilliant for maps, inventory. It really adds to the experience. Brilliant little devices.

There was a game, the name slips my mind at the moment, but every time you came back to boot a save file it gave you a "previously on" catch up cut scene.

Alan Wake did one at the start of the chapter, but that felt more like they wanted it to feel like a twin peaks style TV show than actually reminding you. You could have literally just finished the previous chapter why remind you of it.

2 screen gaming is peak gaming. I actually really miss just having the menu or a map on the bottom screen. We were spoiled and all we did was give out about the second screen being used for just a map or menu.

Loads of games do this. Off the top of my head dragon quest 8, 9 and 11 did it. Yakuza I think as well. Pretty sure one of the first games was that awful alone in the dark on ps360.

Honestly think it's a fantastic feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Witcher 3 did it. Few others too iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Pokemon did it all the way back on the GBA, with the 'previously on your quest' for FRLG. I always thought it redundant at time, but as I get older and fall off games, it'd be so much easier to dip back into RPGs if they'd come with this feature. Invariably, if I have no idea what's going on with a game after a sabbatical, I just restart it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, have to use the focus to scan or more send out a quick pulse to highlight the climbable surface.

This is awesome: people are still making mods for the very original Thief; "The Black Parade" is out today and looks rather fine.

Man the death of the Stealth and/or Immersive Sim game remains a deep disappointment; not like the budgets don't exist but it's weird how they just died after the attempt to resurrect them with the likes of Prey or the newer Deus Ex games...

• Advertisement

Well we have the system shock remake which by all accounts is incredible. It's such a shame Deus Ex Mankind Divided didn't sell well and had a troubled development. I just hope Microsoft sees sense and let's Arkane do their own thing instead of making them create love service games. I didn't like deathloop at all but I'd rather they made interesting games than whatever redfall was.

As for Thief, the modding community is still really active and churning out incredible levels. The first thief is one of my all time favourite games and thief 2 is excellent as well. They s hold up and the world building is arguably the best in videogames.

I'm guessing immersive Sims just take too many resources compared to a typical corridor shooter. Giving players so much options is very hard to design around. Even stuff like Bioshock I find very dumbed down in retrospect with only really the deus ex games, prey and dishonored coming close.

It's also a genre that has traditional not set sales charts on fire. The system shock and deus ex games sold ok but weren't massive hits. They have this vocal minority following which doesn't translate into the sales that big publishers expect. Maybe Arkane can deliver marquee games without the sales expectations for Microsoft, gods knows MS needs those games to stand out... Although the PS5 isn't exactly brimming with good exclusives either.

Advertisement