Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Now here's our cover of Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭CH3OH

In fairness.. they are singing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's not really, it must be the oldest form of show biz, probably cos women weren't allowed have fun and men had to play all parts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I think Gary is carrying the other 2 🤪

They're no gg allin and the murder junkies , and I say that with absolute certainty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

MacKenzie Crook, the Unabomber, and who's the guy in the middle.

Shite guitarist 😂😂

I especially love how how he had the chord ready 2 mins before the song 😂😂

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jesus, no posts here in 12 minutes, are ye all asleep?

Probably best to stick with the hits for the live show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Aidan Gillen is a vapid mediocrity that can't settle on an accent and takes himself incredibly seriously.

Yeah, he was 'great' on The Wire, so what

• Advertisement

I like this mark guy

Sounds like an elf on the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

On +1, Rosanna looks a plastic mess

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't get him at all. To me, he is not a believable actor at all. He seems to be the worst actor ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Oh hi Charlotte

Oh 5 kids f**k

😂😂😂 how deep is your love and pk's reply

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I find it incredible that he was in two of the biggest shows of all time in The Wire and Game of Thrones (not to mention Peaky Blinders), and in RTE's best ever drama Love/Hate, but he seems such a hammy actor.

He was good in kin , role was a good fit for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Major TV shows Gillen had been in:

Queer as Folk

The Wire

Game of Thrones

Love/Hate

Peaky Blinders

Kin

Honestly, I don't see the draw. He's been dire in most of them. I really don't get how he keeps getting these roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Kielty seems to be settling in. I'd say the Toy Show was the biggest hurdle, and he breezed thru that. Happy to see it.

Tuned in a bit into the Shane McGowan tribute, and missed the opening. Then when it went to Dwts I was thinking 'Oh this is gonna be a good 30 minutes of fluff'... he spoke to them for the briefest time. Was pleasantly surprised how short that segment was. Barely ten minutes.

Then he had Take That, and that took up a good 30 or 40 minutes. And it had songs and banter so if you didn't like the songs, the banter was there.

Pleasantly surprised. As a comedian, Kielty has stood on a stage on his own and demanded attention (that's what a comedian does, it's par for the course). Put him on stage with lots of other people... and he lets the guests talk. And by golly, he listens to them. You even saw it with the toy show, he let the kids have the stage.

Tubridy would never do that. I notice too, the audience has gotten a lot younger since Kielty took over. Lots of young men and women in the audience.

He's drawing in folks that normally wouldn't travel for this kind of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

Maybe Noel Kelly is his agent...NK certainly has form in getting talentless people prime roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just caught Take That.. hang it up, lads. Awful music. And Mark Owen? Wtf.. you’d buy him a coffee if ya saw him on the street!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I didn’t watch it last night but it sounds like it was the Late Late Show at its best – tribute to a national legend, short exposure for an upcoming RTE show, extended interview and performances with a veteran pop group. There will occasionally be a Hollywood A-lister or some other anomaly to draw the casual viewer, but that mix of speaking for the nation, local entertainment and international B-list celebrity is everything the LLS should be looking to produce. Take that or leave it, but stop expecting more.

The tribute show in particular is something that the LLS does very well. There is no other TV programme, and arguably no other platform at all in Ireland, that can act as a sort of national wake. In the same category are the occasional debates – on Youtube you can see Fintan O’Toole, Tim Pat Coogan and others debating an anniversary of the Easter Rising, and Eamon Dunphy, John Waters and Eoghan Harris debating in the aftermath of ‘the crash’. In the event of a referendum on uniting Ireland, it will be a LLS show debate that comes closest to crystallising the national mood. I’m looking forward to the first debate under Kielty, whatever the subject may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I think PK is doing a great job. You can tell he genuinely respected Shane McGowen and it was a very tasteful short tribute with a few of his friends. Kielty has a very easy way about himself that allows others to relax and be themselves. He is very much at home dealing with his guests and sees himself as their equal, unlike Tubs, who always had the nervous energy of a TY student who won a competition to interview some major celebrities.

The Take That segment was a case in point. Look, they are hardly The Beatles, but it still takes a host with a bit of personality and wit to get the best out of this kind of interview and I thought PK handled it very well. I'd imagine the 3 lads came away from that thinking it was an enjoyable experience and the audience liked it as well. How often did we ever say that about any similar LLS popstar interview over the last 14 years.

It's absolutely abysmal to think that but for a payments scandal AND the fact a number of wholly unsuitable RTE stalwarts turned down the job, we wouldn't now have a very capable and accomplished host on the LLS, we would simply have more mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

While I think PK is willing and able to conduct such a debate show, unless something happens higher up the food chain in RTE, I don't think we're actually going to see this style of show again.

With the departure of Tubs and the shortening of the episodes, they have clearly decided to make it a far more compact and light affair and to play to the host's strength with comedy. I really don't see a heavy hitting panel debate happening now, even for an event like a unity referendum. RTE is no different to many other PSB's in that everything is getting more dumbed down, steering clear of controversy and aimed at the internet generation of ADHD viewers.

Obviously the media landscape has changed massively and the LLS is never going to be the national forum for discussion that is was from the '60s to the '90s but it's still a shame this type of programme is being frozen out. Not everyone watches current affairs like Prime time or the Monday night slot on RTE1 so having a place to discuss social/cultural/political topics on the LLS I think is still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The frustrating thing is, Tubridy started off well. His first episode, he seemed to be looking like he'd be impressive. He genuinely went indepth in his interview of Brian Cowen. But I'd say he started listening too much to the online discourse, especially as social media had become more omnipresent at the time. He was also looking more and more at the audience for 'approval', even journalists highlighted this.

I wonder, was it the Rhys Ifans/ Howard Marks interview was when it started to wrong for him? It occurred about a year or more into his tenure at the helm. And at times, Tubridy acted 'above' the interviewees (Even with Ifans, who has admitted to being drunk during the interview). Almost like he was better than them. And as the quality of guests declined (or became repeat appearances like Dermot Bannon) you could see that RTE were letting the show slide into decline, while he was getting fatter and fatter paychecks, thus increasing his ego. (I mean, you can imagine the shock on NK's clients faces when they heard Kielty had waived a €50,000 travel fee. I'd say Claire Byrne spends that on beauticians, alone, every year). When he interviewed Sean Spicer, he made him likable. When he interviewed Liam Neeson (same show) he managed to make a mess of things and get Neeson into hot water. People were calling for Neeson's head.

It didn't help that Tubridy and his 'friends' (ie share an agent) were applying pressure and criticising nearly every decision and choice that Kielty and his team made regarding the show, before it aired. And the producer quitting the show a few weeks in... I'd say they thought that would be the nail in his coffin. Instead, it seemed like he really upped his game. He was able to quip with Take That, no problem.

Kielty, as a performer, can tell if the audience isn't 'with him' or if something isn't working. It's something good performers tend to pick up, and bad performers miss entirely (I think that's why he breezed thru the DWTS segment-he knew it was just lame filler). First few weeks he was kind of feeling the pressure, but much of that was down to the crud Tubridy and his cohorts had caused in the weeks running up to the LLS hosting. Once he got past the Toy Show, he seemed to gel.

Also, Kielty is curious about people. You see it when he's interviewing. I've noticed Tommy Tiernan is too. It's this curiosity that comedians have... plus it gives them material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll see your Aidan Gillen, and raise you a Barry Keoghan.

Advertisement