Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

That ad always annoys me for all the reasons you state.

And even after ringing Allianz, ignoring the other plot flaws, they still have a tap spewing water for the next 1-4 hours until an Allianz plumber gets there. The outcome of the two scenarios is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tesco keeping up their latest run of annoying ads anyway with their current effort. That snow person is creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There's two of these ads on atm - One that ends with '...because that's what goalies do' - On that one, she sounds hammered - 'Disis doctor Georginaordan'

Totally sobered up for the other one 'This is Doctor Georgina Jordan'...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭oneweb

It's gas you say that, I had the very same thoughts about the "Don't forget to turn off the lights" Guinness ad I saw during the week. It's pure and magical, and really made me appreciate the classic Christmas ads, where there was meticulous planning, location sourcing and physical preparation (all that snow was just a mix of mushed paper and water, sure, but the scenes were turned into pieces of art 😍

Far too many modern ads are soulless, computer-generated crap*.

*OK so the Coke bears on ice ads were computer-generated, but my gawwwd for the time they were stunning!! (don't watch them now, time has not served them well 😄)

It is what it's.

There's an ad for Very, perfect opportunity to replace the word merry in the song lyric with the brand identity but... no 😐

Same ad every family member has a totally different accent, ok I get that ads should take regionalisation into account but 🫠

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

Any ad that uses that pure marketing gimmick elf on the shelf toy or derivative thereof. TUI's got one going at the mo, it's fokkin' terrible. How is eots still even a thing these days??

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That Guinness advert is just 30 seconds of bliss, honestly. Guinness can make strange ads, but then they do some that are genuinely artistic. And funny you should mention the Coca-Cola bears advert.

I was watching the documentary, Pepsi, where's my Jet, and like, folks at the time thought they were 'too cool for skool' with regards to the bears. (guy even says 'My grandparents knew those bears') Pepsi was seen more as the 'kewl' kids drink. Based on the marketing, at least, where they recruited supermodels, megastars of the day, such as Spice Girls, Jackie Chan, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, DAvid Bowie, Tina Turner etc.

But as a kid, I loved them darn bears. Funnily, my parents did too, and I think that was their charm. They connected with all ages.

But CGI has advanced so far, that they could do those adverts in far less time now. The sad thing is, every producer wants to put their fingerprints on these adverts, and so they become a mess. CG was meant to be a tool for creativity, now it's become a tool to 'fix it in post' as in over do the effect, and ruin it.

People give Kevin the Carrot grief, and I get it. But they're one of the few ad campaigns that feel genuinely cohesive to me. And they don't recycle their adverts either. So I genuinely look forward to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Kevin the Carrot?

"I can see his plum crack" or "That's huge Willy!". It's more Gaiety panto than Xmas classic, and an absolute confusion of simultaneous animation, all cut and paste, so there's no production limit compared to the cost constraints of traditional artwork. This devalues the artistic value of the visuals, which are just a stuffed jumble. Better to have some slow moving close up individual characters on soft or still backgrounds, to better match how we store fond images. K the C ads are headache inducing, product placement on steroids.

And they're now producing and selling K the C merchandise, so its attempting to take on a life of it's own.

They been making Kevin the Carrot toys for years. Soon as he was used, they were making the toys.

As I said, I get it that people don't like them.

The adverts I think are masterful are the ones that sort of feel almost like a fairy tale. Magical, rather than lecturing.

I mean, look at this advert that uses stop motion animation to make you think a billion dollar corporation is thinking of you when it sells its shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

What's the craic with Tesco using a summery sounding one hit wonder from the mid-nineties in their Christmas ad?

Probably to acknowledge that their ad is not based in any kind of reality, or even a meaningful fantasy. Even the bizarre or surreal can have a message or a metaphor, whereas their ads have all the meaning of a vomit stain outside a pub (and even that suggests a story).

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Baz is everywhere these days ... TV shows, ads, the works ... it is well to have Noel Kelly on your side !! ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

Freckles in his crib can piss off

The old ad (seen tonight) with the posh spoken kid who's fed up waiting for the 'fairwey liquid bottuel', because, see, it lasts so long. No way they don't have a dishwasher. Student flats have a dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Eir dropped the ball with their new ad. The star wasn't the wee child. It was the woman with the big arse walking in the background.

These ads are on too early and not festive .... I never heard most of these songs in my life and do not think I have missed much ... I'll stick with Elvis, Charlie Rich and Ray Charles ...

What is this thing with Beatlesque songs in ads ?? Never the actual Beatles but some Beatles replica .... Spar, the infamous Lotto, AIB .... it seems that if you are a hasbeen band with some song that sounds someway Beatlesy then contact makers of ads .... and gain renewed fame ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭squonk

They kind of were though. ELO kind of took up the Beatles mantle after they split. Jeff Lynne was a big Beatles fan and they were a big influence on the band. It’s no surprise he was involved with Beatles members in a production capacity.

• Advertisement

I can't get the Disney production 'Get Back' out of my head. I binge watched it a month ago. All the seeds of the Abbey Road album and others coming to life, I adored that album, my older brother bought it for me that Xmas '69 (for himself the crafty git, thought I wouldn't like it). I still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

FBD! It doesn't stand for Frisky Breakfast Damagers (Amorous couple knock someone's breakfast off the table; "grrrr"). Or Flippant Beer Drinker ("Don't you think you've had enough?" "Buzz off"). Or Foul Breath Dermatologist (Patient grimacing as Dermatologist looks at his skin).

It stands for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I reckon there is some sort of an in-house joke/competition between the advertising agencies - Whichever agency can make the most ridiculous and most expensive advert for perfume/after-shave and actually gets paid by the company, is the the winner

"They're dermalodgally tested..."

Yeah she might be an ex-model an' all that, but for jayziss sake, get her to say the word correctly if you're using it as a fking selling point for your clothes washing tabs.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Even more adverts you despise

Car adverts. There are usually clear roads with no other traffic. The drivers often look like they are breaking the speed limits and often engaged in dangerous manoeuvres. Never a mention of the pollution caused by cars.

I refuse to buy anything she promotes. Or her current husband promotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And the family is all smiling and laughing with each other, totally unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

30 Town, 30 Town it's a 30 Town

Yes, 30kph, and you're constantly swerving to avoid the cyclists and power scooters overtaking you on the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Tesco Christmas tree father and son ads are beyond strange

Advertisement