Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Navigating their way to victory at the death when it didn't look very likely with 5 minutes to go. Nienaber's working his magic already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Looking forward to next week, what’s the best way to watch the Champions Cup games this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Snyman off to Bath. I wonder what the $ is. I reckon it's been done for a while.

Saw on Leinster fans that Boyle has signed a professional contract.

Can't wait for next week. I'm not as confident as I thought I'd be. At least La Rochelle have been poor too. Well, except for this week.

Watching the Conn. match. Their starting front row put it up to Byrne and Ala'alatoa. Byrne cracked like an egg on one occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Two props Leinster let go. Good to see things working out for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

Byrne doesn't look good enough for this level anymore. He's been overtaken by both Milne and Boyle IMO. We would be mad to extend him this year. After watching back some of last year's games, surely there was a tighthead on the market better than Ala'alatoa who we could have given a 2 year deal to who would atleast bring something to the table.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be shocked if Leinster aren't in touch with Aungier about coming back next summer as a potential replacement for Ala'alatoa. People forget that, in the space of a year, Leinster lost Aungier, Salanoa and Illo. They wanted all of them but couldn't match what was being offered in terms of opportunities at that point in time with Bent, Furlong and Porter all available at tighthead. That was an entire generation of tightheads who departed in a very short space of time.

• Advertisement

Seriously? That's a lot of readies for a lad who's only played sporadically. Yikes!

It would be nice. He's doing well. But, he's only got to bide his time before Bealham slows down.

It's really good to see the likes of Dowling etc adding a lot to Connacht. Delighted for them.

It's his 1st appearance this season but I agree, he's never been a high level player. URC was his ceiling, imo.

Would it make sense at this stage to switch Lasisi back over to loose head? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Is it 1 or 2 marquee players in the GP

Flaky Finn is presumably one Marquee player. A lot of money for a guy with like 10 munster appearances in 3 and a half years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

One these days, I belive. Open to correction though.

Yeah, one marquee player from next season.

All that means is your top earner sits outside the salary cap, so if they’re paying Snyman that kind of cash they have to be making sacrifices elsewhere in the squad.

It’s a big gamble, given his injury history, or maybe another case of the SA Mafia helping out one of their own again.

Finn is probably on similar money. Van Grann is spending money. I doubt Leinster or any province could afford that type of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Finn is supposed to be on double that - he’s the highest paid player in the league apparently on £1m a year.

Say what you want about van Graan, but his players seem to like him.

It'd be a pleasant surprise if Osborne isn't badly hurt from the Connacht game.

• Advertisement

I’d love any coach who would pay me a million a year!

On the Connacht game, it was equal parts enthralling and frustrating. In parts, we look ok.....but in parts we look very reminiscent of the 2014-17 Leinster team.

The front five was not good generally with the possible exception of Jenkins. Baird looked livelier when he went to blindside but was fairly anonymous at lock. Our scrum was comfortably beaten in the first half and outfoxed in the second half when we made changes. Furlong was rightly p*ssed but he shouldn't have allowed Buckley to sucker him in back to back scrum sets by not taking the hit. Furlong goes down both times and the call goes against him.

Our line out was largely a shambles. It was fine last week against Munster but this was quite concerning. It was clear the confidence was dropping with each screw up. Molony seemed to solidify things but, assuming he was calling it, he made an inexcusable call for a long, over the top throw late on when it looked like our last chance. Silly call on a young hooker in front of a vociferous home support.

Ed Byrne is only back so I'll give him a pass. He hadn't played in 8 months but, with a strong crop of young looseheads available, he needs to deliver on his next performance or he's going to have a hard time getting a contract renewal. It's hard to see how he's a long term better bet than Milne, McCarthy or Boyle.

Ala'alatoa was fairly anonymous. I hope he's not seeing out his days and taking his eye off the ball. I know he's not a big fan favourite but he has generally been solid and had a strong work rate on the pitch. I didn't see much of that last night.

Jenkins looked ok, at least. Stole a couple of throws, scored his try and topped the tackle count. Hopefully, he has more showings like that where he's a solid squad player and can be as useful to us as Molony for the remainder of his contract. Not holding my breath but I can dream.

The back row looked really disjointed. Poor discipline and decision making. Penny got done twice just before half time for rolling into the ball after making a tackle. Very naive. Culhane got done for it just after half time leading to a team warning although he was definitely being held in (Busby started warning Connacht for holding players in straight after). Culhane was physical in the carry and started brightly enough but faded a bit before going off with what looked to be a knock. Deegan should really be standing out in these games if he wants to be in the first choice 23 but he wasn't really standing out for any positive reasons, for me. His decision to shoot up and in on Hanrahan when Furlong (I know, a prop but still....) left Hansen with empty field ahead of him and an injured Russell trying to get across to make a tackle he was never going to. That try was poor generally but Deegan really mucked up.

Ben Murphy lacked calm and direction even if he has a nice pass generally. Wasn't surprising to see him removed early for Foley who had a far more assured showing but his pass let him down a couple of times. I thought HB had a couple of noticeable errors but he generally went well. A few poor moments in the first half with one or two nice passes and great grubber to force a 5m scrum. After the break, he was assured and gave good direction. It was a very Ross Byrne showing. No flash passes but directed people well outside him and let the direction and decision making do the work rather than any heroics. You can see him turning to his backline and instructing them on the scoring phase to win the game which is good to see. One great cross kick in his own half led to a 60m break downfield, ultimately resulting in the Kelleher try. He'll probably start next week. Not great but was fine.

Midfield was a bit of a mess. Ngatai had some really classy moments. Obliterated someone in a tackle, scored a try, great grubber for the Kelleher try and nice draw and pass for the final try to put Turner into space. But he also had some bad errors. Dropped a ball inexplicably in a good position in the first half. Made a couple of defensive errors....and he looks slow. Really slow to me. Like, Ross Byrne slow. Well, maybe not that slow. Henshaw was anonymous. Completely. Not sure what he's bringing to the table right now. It's a real concern. I'd have him as third choice 12 right now with Ngatai or even Frawley (despite any game time there) more deserving of a start next week.

Back three saw relatively little ball. Russell looked dangerous but had one sloppy knock on. Osborne's injury is a concern. Didn't look like he'll be fit in the next couple of weeks. Frawley had very little involvement for the most part. Nice finish for his try. I thought Turner really brought some energy to proceedings with the ball in hand. Nice catch and draw for the final try.

Overall, a lot to be concerned about. It looked like we really upped our defensive linespeed after the break. We were knocking them back behind the gain line but we struggled to reorganise after that and gaps appeared very quickly which led to some tries conceded. The team seem very rudderless and lacking cohesion on the pitch at the moment. If it's not sorted immediately, the season will slip away in a matter of weeks.

GP salary cap is increasing by £1.4m next season.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I'm talking about Snyman and Knox going to play under him again, not Russell.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

In terms of linespeed, it's one of the few positives we have so far this season. We were knocking Munster back behind the gain line a lot last week as well, and the tackles on the gain line were also (even if they were often double tackles) as effective. Far out wide, not quite so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭dublin49

When Baird made his break through I thought we had uncovered the newest edition of the modern lock,a hybrid who could survive the grunt work and play like a back when in space,it was jaw dropping watching him get those early tries but for whatever reason those magic moments seem to have stopped.The opposite is true of Sheehan who seems to get umpteen chances to display his try scoring abilities.Is it teams are more aware of what Baird can do,do Leinster not do enough to exploit his mobility ,or did he flatter to deceive,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

It's the same for Larmour. Those tries against Ulster and especially Munster were just outrageous. The reality is, as you establish yourself in the squad and starting making it into Ireland camp, your minutes are managed, and you end up playing in the more difficult games where you get way less opportunity to take the piss in the way that Baird and Larmour used to do when they were only breaking through.

It's not like the moments have completely disappeared however — Baird's try against Munster in the league semi final last year that was incorrectly ruled out was a good example of what he's still capable of. I've linked to it in the timestamp below:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm normally one that errs on the side of reason against hyperbole.

I'm delighted with the win and winning away to that Connacht side was a huge achievement. 5 wins in a row and top of the table. Our defence is showing up very well and managing to score at the death to win it does show a lot of strong mentality.

BUT. We are making mistakes that are not only just not expected of our high standard. They're not indicative of pro players.

We are the 3rd highest team for turnovers lost this season so far with 96 turnovers. That's just under 14 a game. That's insanely ponderous and wasteful.

Turnovers happen and that's fine. But we're 10th in the league for offloads at 51 so it's not even pointing to us playing a higher risk game.

What is happening is players are dropping the ball poorly. Russell and Ngatai both dropped balls that just cannot be accepted at this level. And they're just 2 examples of it.

Jenkins also dropped a ball that was for Alaala'toa. These are just basic errors from players that have had good game time this season and should have that match sharpness.

We just look very blunt at times in the red zone and it's largely down to sheer inaccuracy and it's beginning to be concerning. Next week will tell more however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Leinster really need to sort out their short to medium term plans at Loosehead and Tighthead. They inspired no confidence what so ever against Connacht. There has been talk from people of maybe trying to bring back Jack Aungier or Marty Moore. I've definitely been an advocate of this, but I don't see the IRFU weakening one province to strengthen another.

I have confidence in Milne and Boyle but Leinster are losing so much experience next year and the scrum will become a vulnerable weakness that teams will pin point. Should Leinster invest in both LH and TH next year? TH without question but LH? I would take a year deal on a veteran LH.

Advertisement