Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RockOrBog

So the water to the whole place is off, a cyber attack on our small local group water scheme... supposedly by the Iranians.

They have made it clear that the Israeli sourced hardware being used was the target.

Some pain in the hole for everyone especially those with cattle housed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

You must hate the radio in December every year so. It's always being requested.

Post edited by Tonynewholland on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Shane could sing and chew gum at the same time.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

She would have lost an extra point for a knockdown so it would be a 10-8 round where as if she just lost the round normally with no knockdown it would be scored 10-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Anyone want to take a stab at pricing a boundary wall. 45 metres long.

Foundation, 8 rows of 4 inch blocks on edge above ground, 4 on the flat under. 12 piers, wall caps and pier caps and plastered. Location has a fairly substantial slope.

I was going to put it on the DIY forum but thought I might get a better response here, seeing as there is alot of building work going on in farming at the moment. Some one had posted something similar breaking down on here a while back but I cant find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Sure it's a palisade fence, they can still look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Love this weather. Got more done today than the previous few weeks. Ure more in minded to do jobs when it is bright .

git all the sheep in doses for fluke. Rams removed. Hoggets moved to new ground , store lambs weighed and batched. Great days work.

would have been perfect for spreading fym only for hear calendar farming nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not sure of the price of materials. You will need 1350 blocks. 12 pier caps and about 45 wall caps. 3.5 cubic metres of ready mix for foundations, 5 ton of sand ( not sure of you will need that much and about 15ish bags of cement. Foundation will need to be dug-out as well.

If you want a lad to do the whole lot about 5k in labour charges alone I would expect. About 7-7.5 k for complete job at least I would expect. A lot will depend if you are paying by cash or not.

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks Bass, I have it dug out already. I got a price of 16.5k. That is cash price, no Vat. And supposed to be cost. Sharing the price with neighbour who is builder and doing it at "cost". So 8k each

My own back of an envelope price came in at 11k including plastering both side so words will have to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Tradesmen neither have time nor interest in bargaining nowadays, they are stretched too thin.

I got paths and some bits done around the house lately and one mans bill came to nearly €7000. Materials were extra.

I could have complained but seen as I don't have concrete expertise i didn't have any bargaining power.

45m of a wall run with 12 piers, 8 rows of blocks above and 4 below with a substantial slope is a lot of work.

Nobody does anything at "cost" that would be very stupid on the builders behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

He wants his cake n eat it with founds dug n all. Surely if the two of ye put in the ready-mix some Saturday morning before Christmas and during the week off over Christmas throw the blocks up n caps up.

Personally I'd be telling him I don't have the dough at the mo. No great neighbourly spirit there.

Well he said he would do it at cost so I would be expecting him to keep to his word. its in his interest as much as mine to get it put up. I won't go into specifics.

I know labour is gone nuts but he is definitely taking the piss. I wouldnt mind, but we both agreed that he could tip away at it at his leisure as I'm in no huge panic to get it done.

Just don't know how to approach it, telling a neighbour that you know they are trying to ride you sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

You could tell him you're pricing fence and hedging. Block walls are a bit of an eyesore in the long run anyway

You could always get someone else to do the job, he's obviously no friend nor does he have much respect for you so he might only think more of you for not allowing yourself be rode.

He is looking for you to pay completely for the total wall which he getbpaid to build and ends up with a free boundary wall. Its about three days labour for two lads to do the blocks and capping and they would not be exactly killing themselves.

I am not to sure about plasterering h but I would imagine two lads for 2-3:days would complete it. Basically you tell him to f@@k off

Even with a slope when tge foundations are stepped right is is a fairly straightforward job. No window or door openings, sills or lentils to be fitted. No side walls to be tied in.

Hardest pRt may be getting blocks and caps into position at side of foundations and pouring the ready-mixed. But tge actual blockwork is straight forward.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Spent this afternoon pulling a Cat6 cable through the attic as I didn't like the router and a pile of wires beside the front door.

Spent yesterday welding up a gate for the garden. Could have made it a lot more simply than I did, but I'm burdened by the need to do things neatly, but without the actual ability to do it neatly. A bad combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Surely a hedge would be a more attractive option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

The father here always thought the same, now there are 100s of metres of hedges to be trimmed about the yard and house and most of them inaccessible with the trimmer on the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

You won't put in much of a foundation with 3.5cu.m over 45m with 12 pillars

Fair price for doing the job if ye were to get someone in and allow them some profit would be around € 12.5k - € 13k incl materials ( cash price)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Your own €11k is about right.

You’ll be lucky to get away with an 8 metre lorry load of ready-mix, I’d be putting in 9-10 metres but if ground is good underneath you’ll stretch the 8 metres to do it.

That’s over €1k for readymix and add on the labour for pouring it and setting screeds, which gets a bit trickier with a stepped foundation. 2 men for a day probably so about €500 for labour.

You’ll need 1500 blocks to allow for piers and half blocks etc. It’s a while since i bought blocks but they’re surely around €1 a block still and labour will be €2 a block so that’s €4,500 for blocking. Add in sand and cement at €500 so €5k.

Capping is like asking how long is a piece of string because it depends on the capping you want. You’d be looking at minimum €1k for materials but could be many multiples of that if you want a special cut stone or something like that. I’ll assume you’re going with a lower end capping so say €1k for materials and another €500 for labour.

Plastering, especially at this time of year, will be 2 days work for a plasterer and labourer. That’s €1k for labour and materials another €500.

That all comes to about €9.5k.

Add a bit of premium because you have said you’re working in a substantial slope which will make everything more difficult and time consuming, so say €500. Then add on even €1k for overheads consumables and a small bit of profit for the builder because as @FintanMcluskey said previously it would be a stupid tradesman that doesn’t have some bit of profit out of a job and that’s your €11k.

That would be cash price with virtually no profit for the builder.

At €16k he is bulling you a bit, but don’t attempt to tell him he should be doing it for €7k or you’ll be making a laughing stock of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RockOrBog

Some heifers broke loose once again on a farmer up the road and ran in around the Uncles house, a man who has never farmed.

He is in his 70s, one of them hit him at the side of his house and sent him tumbling. He's all blackened on his right hand side, the head, the knee and the arm. He went to the doctor but he has no serious injuries.

It's getting ridiculous at this stage with this farmer, early 80s, no help and wild cattle constantly escaping around the village.

Made an error in the calculation on the foundations. However the foundations for a wall like that do not need to be that wide. You would get away with 12''. The foundations are to support the 4'' block not the 4'' flat. 16'' would be a waste of concrete. I have a block on edge wall build on a 9'' foundation 4-5'x deep. Its nearly 30 years there no cracks or any other damage. House is on 9'' foundation's 3' wide. Mass concrete walls for shed are 5'' by 16' and they are going nowhere either.

So 45 M X0.3X.125 add 20% for overlaps = 2.25m even at 16'' foundations its 2. 7 metres. With a bit of steel mesh in it it will be more than adequate.

Was a bit tight with the blocks it should be 1500. But I checked a price I got few months ago it was for the son he is starting a house next year blocks 700+ vat, ready mix for foundations 123+ or 80c/ block and 140/ meter.

This idea of rounding everything up breaks lads. If I was building that wall I be directly employing a block layer. It's a job a good block layer would piss though in two days. You just do the steps at either 4.5 or 9''.

Any block layer will grab for that job@2/block and be delighted. Lot of lads with sites closed over Christmas's would actually love it. 2-3 days work and 3k 2k for the blockie and 1k for the lad tending him. Steps are not time consuming if putting in at 4.5 or 9'' steps. There's no windows, or door openings, no cavity or insulations to be fitted, wall ties its a really handy job. If you actually got a good handyman he do it as well

A ton of cement is 300/ ton Inc vat, I doubt if you will need all of that for the complete job blocks and plastering. Sand at 40/ton, 2-3 hundred euro. At a guess I would say 5 ton and you will have a bit left over for a sand pit for the children.

@Cushtie never specified any caps so I imagine it bog standard capping as at a guess this wall is at the back of a house.

I would not be giving any more than 7-8k cash for that job including materials in total. If I was getting it done and putting a bit of effort in myself, putting blocks and caps into position, barrowing the ready mix to the foundations, tending the man laying the blocks getting the sand drawning the cement etc organised and supplying my own mixer on site I would expect to get bit done South of 5k.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Foundations should always be 3 X Width of wall.

Bass you are a mile out thinking you will get that done for 7 or 8k cash. A blocklayer and labourer wouldnt get that done in two days in the middle of summer let alone any other time of the year. You fail to allow for the fact that the man be not be able to assist with the works. Its hard enough to get a tradesman from 8 - 5 Monday - Friday. The concrete will work out at 45m x .225 x .6 wide at best [ 2ft bucket ] plus extra bit around piers

If the man wants to stay on good terms with his neighbour then somewhere around 12 - 13k excl the Vat element would be fair. He will make a fool of himself offering 7 or 8k this day and age

And the wall being supported is 4''. The block on the flat at the bottom is part of the foundation so can be disregarded for load purposes.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Get your uncle to call to the farmer and show him what his animal did to him

• Advertisement

A lot closer to the mark I would think .....though you might want another bit on the plastering.....if you can get a plasterer these days. Plus man back on the machine backfilling and tidying up.....#

Timber post and rail would be a lot cheaper option and hedge either side

Advertisement