Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is being done to address the M50 problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Buses will change nothing.

Like the cities you quoted, we need an underground system or go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Buses share the road with cars and Luas.

There will be no signifincant change in public transport usage until we build an underground.

Its that simple, when you consider a rapidly growing population in County Dublin & PT that still takes longer to get to your destination vs a car journey.

And a PT journey is often unsafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I meant 3 standard sizes: double decker, single decker, mini bus. Smaller buses can serve less used routes until demand is such that bigger buses are required. Also, they connect to other routes. There should be very little excuses to get in a car.

And lots more staff to drive lots more buses on lots more routes.

If we can't find or train the staff to drive buses then stop pretending we are a first world economy and admit we are a tax haven that only does short term planning.

Once we figure out how to do buses we can move onto more advanced things.

Being part of the EC we can ask our fellow EU countries how to do public transport, instead of re inventing the wheel and wasting a load of time and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

So is the 75 still running? I know kids from Tallaght who use it to get to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Trains are to slow here also and one train stops the network stops. Other week a train broke down near Sandymount and stopped both lines as driver could check around the train. Trains out of heuston just crawling along. Plenty of padding on timetable.

It has taken to long to move on that not everyone works in the city that get on a bus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

No, but new routes have been launched with overall more coverage and frequency. The L25 mostly replaced the 75

There are only 3 roads I'm 100% for

Cork/Limerick to get cars and HGV out of villages but they'll toll it and undo HGV removal (just like Fermoy)

Cork Northern Distributer and/or NRR and close the city centre to private traffic but have shuttle bus Park and Ride services at NRR junctions, and a LUAS connecting east/west rught through the city. Never have the balls to do that though

Basically what they should have done with M50. That horse has bolted. Needs urgent underground rail now and would take decades. Which means no Irish government will do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Maybe if we build a hospital serving over a quarter of Ireland’s population inside in D8

Should help matters.. it'll be expensive tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It is a pity that the Brits didn't leave one behind, but its an even bigger pity that we just can't seem to build them ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

100%. Especially when you look at comparable cities right across the continent....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

But the L25 runs from Dundrum. So someone from Tallaght has to get to Dundrum first to get an L25.

I put in my location in Tallaght to IADT into TFI's planner and it says journey time between 1hr 42 minutes and 2 hrs 3 minutes by bus and that's leaving at 1:45pm on a Sunday!

It also IS three buses. The 27, the S8 and the 46A. So there is some truth to the claims made.

I don't know, it all seems like its way too overly complicated to me, and I wouldn't blame anyone for throwing up the arms and saying "feck this, I'm getting my driving licence!"

Doing that journey by buses every day would suck the life out of you, especially in the Winter.

That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Yes, I make regular trips from Dublin 15 to Beaumont Hospital for appointments. The TFI planner recommends taking two bus trips, which will take 1 hour 22 minutes each way, on a Sunday, so maybe a 90 minute trip each way on a weekday being very optimistic. Same trip takes me 25 minutes via m50 each way in the car, and I faint on public transport if I have to stand for long periods. Not everyone can use public transport for legitimate reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Maybe we should upgrade the entire M50 to 3 lanes in each direction as opposed to part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's a motorway that takes national and local traffic. Very few bridges across the Liffey outside the ity centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭csirl

The powers that be seem to think in terms of single lines rather than a metro. We're being told that a metro system is coming soon, when in reality all that's coming is a single line from Swords to the inner city. Will have little or no impact on the travel times for 90+% of Dublin residents.

We should be building a metro system with multiple lines serving most suburbs. This needs to be done as a priority. Multiple lines in the system need to be in simultaneous construction. Might take 20 years to fully complete, but we've been waiting longer for most infrastructure projects....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you mean the one that has the Luas line running beside it, and the main train station for the country just five minutes away, and the new bus routes running a few minutes away, and has hundreds of additional parking spaces - that one?

Yeah. Because I want to bring my sick kid, to hospital sessions, by train.

Have to get to station, get on train, have no seats, arrive at Heuston, get on Red Line, get into hospital, and then reverse that.

You missed the bit about the hundreds of additional parking spaces, I presume?

Lots of major hospitals all over the world are in city locations. You don't locate a hospital based on convenience of transport. You locate a hospital based on best clinical outcomes.

ot's L

So more traffic into James area through M50.

Tallaght to James's St often took me over an hour. I literally jogged it faster.

Lot's of hospitals aren't the National hospital.

Dublin had perfectly good options at Blanch and Tallaght, it was political stroke

Not great now is it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, I don't think anyone with any input has said that a metro will be "coming soon". Maybe you can point us towards when this was said and by whom.

As for building a metro with multiple line (and it's not just you who brought this up), there is the matter of cost. The cost will be phenomenal and whilst worth it, it will certainly have an effect on our ability to sp3nd on other infrastructure.

Then you have the opposition. Everyone will be in favour of the idea of a metro. But when the actual plans are brought forwards, you'll see massive push back by residents and businesses who reckon they will be affected somehow. Add in the local and national politicians who will jump on the bandwagon and you'll see the project delayed by many years as it is dragged through even more consultations, legal challenges and so on.

However, to put it all underground and to do so simultaneously will involve a lot of disruption with trucks coming and going with material bored out (assuming you can get a number of boring machines). Drivers certainly won't appreciate the extra traffic within the city and on the M50 caused by these lorries.

• Advertisement

The James recommendation was from the members of the Dolphin committee, national and international experts on hospital management, planning, construction - but sure all the lads on Boards know better, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Would free buses be a good idea?

Also more investment in bus lane infrastructure and signalling etc.

We'll be waiting decades for a proper Metro. The DART+ and Luas are good but really buses are the only option for most people for next few decades.

Make buses as quick and frequent and cheap as possible.

The Eastern Bypass could be good also maybe.

How's that hospital running, at the moment?

I'm sure it's running at peak performance and was built perfectly on time...

There were dozens of senior doctors, patient advocate groups, and technical groups also stating that it was a mistake to position a national hospital at the Mater or James's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

The best solution to the traffic issue is to have more people working from home - maybe they don't do it all the time, but when they go to the office, why does it have to be for 9 am and why leave between 4 and 5?

Schools also contribute a lot to traffic. People often don't send their children to the nearest school. Naturally people want the best for their children. This is an education system problem contributing to a transport problem - it just goes to show how complex the issue is.

Currently it is very attractive to many businesses to be close to the M50 as they have access to all routes for their goods, but they also attract employees. An outer ring road would similarly attract businesses.

I'm not sure this is true from Eamon.

I use the bus but I wouldn't just hop on a bus for the craic.

Would people do that if they were free? Buses aren't particularly pleasant. Maybe homeless people would.

Maybe they could experiment with free buses on Mondays or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well said.

they didn’t want cars / private transport on the roads, but they have provided next to nothing in extra and better public transport…..in order that people may choose different options…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I absolutely hate this road. Do anything I can to avoid it. What did they think was going to happen though as there’s little alternative routes or other means

• Registered Users Posts: 46 alinois

Well, you'll ask them and they say they have a solution.... due in the next 20 fkin years!! With the budget we have, we could easily hire international teams that would deliver these projects much quicker. In 20 years time, by the time we deliver these projects, they'll already be obsolete and then we need something else to solve the new problem.

We need something quick that can make a difference in the next 5 years and that ideally covers those working outside of the city center (since most transportation options are tailored to support the city center commuters only. Why don't we have an orbital Luas line, for example? That runs parallel to the M50, that will certainly make a huge difference in the amount of traffic. We have enough money to deliver something like that in just a few years, I'm not really sure why something like that would need to take longer than 7 years to deliver, considering we've already got plenty of experience with the Luas project, we already know what it takes to get the plans going.

AFAIK there's no plans for an orbital bus that runs on the M50, so does that mean there's no demand for a Luas?

Like, would the Bus Connects people have recommended it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Incentivising business school employees to get the traffic staggered is a no brainer

Well, that is if you trust that the people behind Bus Connects are thinking about all the possibilities. From what I can see the whole transportation plan for Dublin for 2040 is all entirely revolving around the idea that the city center is the center of the universe and everything has to converge there. All propositions (be it Metro, Luas, Bus, Dart) are drawn directly to the city center, which I believe is a huge mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Maybe make just the peak commuter time buses free. Most of the unwashed aren't up that hour so the chances of running into gowls is reduced.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Partners sister can drive the M50 to work and takes her 15-20 minutes. If she gets the bus, it'll be 1hr 40. There really is no alternative

Exactly, because all solutions are designed to push people to the city center, as opposed to covering the entirety of the city in multiple directions. If so many people depend on the M50 and work close to it, why aren't transports revolving around it as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Yeah for lots of people there's no choice.

I guess the goal is to entice the people that have a choice onto public transport and also to improve PT so much that it's a choice for more people.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, I think it's good, but how come Bus Connects didn't consider it!?

I'm fine for the "unwashed" to take PT.

I don't see the harm in trialling free buses one day a week or a peak times on some days.

I really don't think people will be taking unnecessary trips.

Like, you either have to go somewhere or you don't. You're not just going to hop on a bus for the fun of it.

It might attract cyclists more maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Bus connects are starting up orbital routes fairly soon if not already.

However there are no infrastructure plans associated with the orbital routes so your essentially throwing busses out onto the same roads that are clogged up with cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

My train is about 30 mins. The car is anything up to 90 mins. There really is no comparison.

Agreed. I'm not just referring to the Bus routes, although what they call "orbital" are not really what I'd call orbital, the only orbital part to them today is touching the M50 here and there.

Luas was never thought that way nor the Metro.

The quickest way to improve your own transport options is to move (in the city or county) where better options already exist.

Because it's obvious some areas/routes have far better links than others. They are getting priority over other areas.

Buses have priority on many routes and will be faster than cars on those routes.

There has already been a massive drop in the number of cars going into Dublin city center. The change your waiting for is already happening.

Ad hoc routes away from main transport links will always be quicker by car. You can't build an underground to everyone's door.

Car journeys are often unsafe. Look at the number of crashes on the M50.

Traffic around IADT is brutal. I had the misfortune if having to do a short course there via work, and it was ridiculous in a car from D15.

At a certain point you have to say some routes are not viable as a long term commute. Personally I have refused jobs and courses in locations that are difficult to get to. That's a life lesson. As is long distance commuting.

You can make some routes viable thinking out of the box. Get a moped, get a folding bike. Buy a cheap car. Go multi modal.

• Advertisement

Could be a million reasons.

I know from studies there is a lot more north south axis traffic in Dublin than I realised.

Dragging everyone into the centre seems mad. I agree with Alinois on that.

As an aside I tried an orbital bus route the N4 I think, one day. I think it will be dependent on your route if it's viable for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Not saying You’re wrong but what makes You say the drop of traffic in Dublin is massive? The North Quays are nearly always jammed & please don’t even mention Pearse Street from approximately 15h30 onwards.

The traffic studies.

Partially the reason the traffic (with less cars) is worse is the roads have less capacity due losing lanes and traffic light timings. One way systems etc.

Using the quays or pearse on a regular basis is something I'd try to avoid. Your literally going through the center of the worst traffic in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

By that logic we should place ALL national infrastructure projects in D8

Findings in other countries shows that making public transport free doesn't get people to switch from cars to public transport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement