Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You would have to suspect that that buffer would be all North of the Wadi Gaza and east of Salah al-Din road.

All low density population wise. Already heavily targeted in airstrikes against Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Pretty much exactly what Israel are doing, just replace the artillery round with a 2000lb bomb and house with apartment block.

Seems to be only a single source for the 40k dead, but Israel already nearly half way there in less than 1/4 of the time (even with the ceasefire)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'm not saying that anything that happens to innocent Palestinian people is right, far from it.

but I cannot understand how people cannot understand the Israeli people's point of view. It's so obvious why they, as a people are extremely defensive, paranoid and cannot show any weakness.

How people cannot understand that is just beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Personally, the Israeli rhetoric is shocking. Having looked at both sides of the reporting, including Israeli tv, what I have seen is shocking.

Palestinians have been portrayed as nothing except things to be destroyed, eliminated. The dehumanisation of people is shocking.

I understand the Israeli position completely, but the sheer dismissal of Palestinians as sub human is hard to fathom.

of all people, with their history, creating the same situation they themselves were in, in concentration camps, is unthinkable to most normal thinking people.

I don't make up my mind due to media reporting.

Both sides have propaganda and I would not trust either. But this whole narrative of the Jewish people suffered, they should know better then to not make others suffer? They have suffered their entire existence, since Israel was created they have had to defend themselves.

When exactly did they get a break from others trying to wipe them out? When exactly can they sit back, relaxed, and decide not to treat others like they were? When they are still being treated like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

Yep indeed, they do have many decades of history of committing atrocities, mass murdering Palestinian civilians and children and displacing entire communities without showing any kind of remorse as they then move settlers onto the stolen land, so it's not surprising to see there is relatively little dissent against the IDF's current spate of warcrimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But how do they see the future in the region and with their neighbours? This type of 'Total War' (Goebbels 1943) polling among their public is all well and good, but it must mean a peace process is many years away.

Oh and also the fact that the Jewish people are the most persecuted people ever, in the world. And Israel has been attacked since the day of its existence. Dunno how people can't see that, maybe they don't want to. Maybe they just don't care.

even more reason why they are the way they are.

They have always been in agreement with every single agreement that has been brokered in the region. Their neighbours have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

A fool only makes his kind up through media reporting, I look analyse and make my own mind up.

israel is full of decent people, most countries are. Yet, they have based their whole country on wars, apartheid, a sense of entitlement which continues today. Many of my Jewish friends are horrified by the way Israel (its government) is conducting itself.

it is hard to have sympathy for a country (not its people) when they behave in a barbarian manner.

• Advertisement

Given that Gaza / Palestine is literally on their border, it's very hard to see how the public's militaristic rhetoric of bombing a close neighbour into submission can lead to any sort of a long term settlement. Also, they appear to be acquiring the reputation of a rogue / pariah state in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Just curious, what's your metric for Jewish people being the most persecuted people ever?

It's a nice wee headline, but based on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Quds News Network is a front for Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad. Quds News Network at DuckDuckGo

I wonder if they have a bias ... or those who use them as a source.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

And how would you suggest that Israel destroy Hamas? A terrorist organisation that has at their very centre, a desire to destroy Israel?

they have agreed to all international agreement that have been brokered. Their neighbours have not.

How do you suggest they defend themselves and their people? Should they just do nothing? Allow terrorist attacks, bombs, kidnappings? Would you be happy if they were the country destroyed? If they allowed themselves to be annihilated? Would you be happy with that? Happy that the Jewish people are again the victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"they have agreed to all international agreement that have been brokered. "

So why do they continue to break international law by expanding their illegal settlements?

"How do you suggest they defend themselves and their people? Should they just do nothing? Allow terrorist attacks, bombs, kidnappings?"

Read that again but put yourself on the Palestinians side of things, this is exactly what happens to them, how much oppression do you take before you say enough is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well, if their only two options are dropping bombs on civilians or allowing unlimited terrorist attacks, then I guess it's dropping bombs on civilians.

Why is this always presented as a binary? It's either massive civilian deaths or Hamas has free rein?

BTW, Israel has also broken every single agreement it's made. And Hamas never made any agreement with Israel. So you'rte lumping every single Palestinian in with Hamas and you're ignoring the fact that Israel broke agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

Reality setting in. The problem is Netanhayu and his mob of criminals have to accept to stop, lose power and probably end up in prison. Checkmate still !

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

The small Israeli army drone let loose inside an arched concrete corridor kept flying for several minutes, along a 300-metre tunnel large enough for a tall man to walk through unbowed.

To the left and right were rooms with air-conditioning units, functioning toilets and kitchens with running water as well as electrical and communication cables and a now-demolished blast-proof door that Hamas fighters could shoot through.

The tunnel that the IDF said they filmed last month below Gaza’s al-Shifa hospital was, by any measure, a substantial military capability. But it is also only a small part of Hamas’s vast subterranean domain that officials and analysts have said will define the strategic outcome of Israel’s campaign against the militant group.

It's not just tunnels, it's like an underground city. An Underworld. No wonder Gaza is so poor, its leaders have spent most of their GDP on an underground city for rockets and hostages! Probably have Shisha bars and brothels down there too. 'Sorry honey, I can't come home tonight, I have to work in the tunnels again!'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Sounds just like the horse **** they came up with when they were bombing the talaban in the torabora mountains,

Images of intricate high tech tunnel and cave systems that wouldn't look out of place in a james bond movie, turned out to be just some caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This post is telling enough given it is posted without any link to a verifiable source or video to show what is being described.

But to write this in the middle of it, 'The tunnel that the IDF said they filmed last month' presumably with a straight face just underlines how little trust should be placed in it.

The IDF has time and time again showed itself to be completely incapable of telling the truth. And you, and others, want us to accept this as fact and you go on to make jokes about people visiting bars and brothels within them.

This type of BS as some sort of opposing narrative to the literal videos of Palestinian buildings being obliterated, people lying dead and broken in the street is so depressing. Like this is some sort of movie or online video game that can be discussed in a light hearted manner.

As the US secretary of Defense alluded to yesterday, all Israel is doing now is ensuring Hamas' continued existence. We know Israel want this, that's to be expected from a genocidal regime. But the depressing thing is that so many on here, on social media, in Europe, the US etc, continue to support Israels actions. This is how the Nazi's did what they did. With the tacit acceptance of too many, for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

Israeli MP still going on about the dead baby being a doll and now more Hamas have been killed than civilians. How anyone still believes these clowns is beyond belief

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Thats because the IOF are dead set on vengeance, rather than justice. Given Netanyahus old testament call to arms, that should hardly be suprising.

A reputation deserved far beyond the current flare up. The US influence gives them the cloak of respectability.

Certainly, they appear to be heading towards being on the wrong side of history in the court of international public opinion. When your support is coming mainly from a collection of right wing and far right cranks in the US and UK media, but not many others, you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't know if anyone's already posted this, but it's an interesting article about how Israel selects targets in Gaza.

I saw it posted by Naomi Klein over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Israel is trying to provoke a war in the region so that they can get the US into action against Iran.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Israel now is where Apartheid South Africa used to be. Protected at the UN by a superpower veto. However, as the BDS against South Africa grew, that veto was harder and harder to justify domestically. Though it takes years, its entirely possible to make Israel 'persona non grata' internationally.

Advertisement