Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is an exceptionally simplistic view. Two massive holes in your logic

1: Routes (most - there are cargo heavy passenger flights) don't fly if there aren't passengers for them. If people don't fly the aircraft doesn't fly. Frequency and aircraft size get reduced if demand goes down

2: there is a not inconsiderable amount of extra fuel required per passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Could there not be some mechanism for 'distance' voting in such circumstances in this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭pureza

Will Ryan's plane be flying if he doesn't have a ticket yes or no ?

I'll answer that

Yes it will be

Lol There is NOT an extra amount of fuel required to carry Ryan home

You're wrong on the fuel and refuse to face the concept that demand is the reason flights exist.

Oversimplistic or ignorant, I'm not sure which

Fuel load is calculated based on the number of passengers and the weight of all bags and cargo. For a long haul flight every passenger makes a noticeable difference to the fuel required.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The vast majority of confidence votes are political manoeuvring.

There are those who seem to think there is something sinister in SF trying to gain political advantage or inflict political damage.

It’s of course a ridiculous position when all political parties will do this if they see political weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All specific sectors can use the 2/4% GHG contribution argument. It's a similar figure for the fertiliser industry, methane from cattle etc. It's when you add all these that you get 100%. No single magic bullet in one sector. The focus on methane ATM, is because success with that would buy time, about 20 years for the other sectors.

Minister Ryan was very clever in not egging it too much, just let the viewers and listeners reach their own conclusions on the Dail vote.

Of course I do accept that there might be a pint of extra fuel burned to carry Ryan probably less

Calling it noticeable or not insignificant in Ryan's case in the context of the entire industry contributing 2 to 4% is ridiculously ott

But then I also think the tax reaction to the war by climate dramatists on air travel is more about raising taxes than any genuine climate urgency from the politicians

I'm more worried as a tax payer at the cost of the ticket

I am curious about the 'carbon offset' that the government says will be paid,how does that work or where does that few Bob go ?

It's probably a lot less than the airline is getting unnecessarily from the vote in the Dáil tuesday

Its about 30 litres of fuel, each way. And that's assuming he hasn't got any bags.

Its a 6000km+ (depending on routing) flight; and that is the fuel requirement just for an extra passenger on board - taking the weight of the airframe and fittings as already covered. If he has 20KG of bags, add another 5 litres each way.

Carbon offsets are nearly entirely scams.

I doubt it's that much too many variables

The plane will have a full tank leaving Dubai

A headwind more,tailwind less

But even if it is ,the average commuter driving into Dublin or Cork would use way more fuel at home commuting to work (Ryan wouldn't obviously but Im sure he'd near equal it in power usage somewhere) accepting your figures than you would for getting to your weeks holidays in Dubai

That's critical thinking and has me convinced the whole footprint hoo ha is overblown generally

To me talking about Ryan's carbon footprint too is like a microcosm of the idea that cutting cattle numbers in Ireland for example hurting the Irish rural economy when Brazil's plans to increase numbers there by more than the Irish cattle herd helps anything

Add to that the fact that there's less cattle in Ireland now than in the early 70's

Oh don't get me started !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Ultimately this is not about grams of CO2 pumped into the skies per knot, it is a virtue-signaller having his signalling shoved where the sun ain't shine.

• Advertisement

If anything it is an underestimate.

The plane will not have "a full tank", it will have the amount of fuel the flight computer tells it to and no more; because carrying fuel uses fuel.

This is clearly not something you have any understanding of. And your utterly ridiculous simplification of thinking that flights are going to run when there's no passengers can be debunked by how there were a tiny fraction during the pandemic - demand causes the flights; not the other way around.

Also - if a commuter is using 60 litres of fuel a day, they need to get a job closer to home and a more suitable vehicle. I can go 2/3rds the length of the country on 35 litres, in a surprisingly inefficient car.

That's your opinion on my views and you're welcome to it,I stand by them so we'll have to agree to disagree

You'd think air traffic is not shrinking, its growing and by virtue of that airlines are in the business of filling bums on seats,the aim in fact is to over sell so there's capacity to fill no shows and yes that means tanks will be full or as near as necessary more than not

A moot point for even the amount of fuel you're saying Ryan's journey is going to take vs what a holiday flyer to Dubai would use on just 1 or 2 days commuting from wexford

It's yet another reason going on about air travel carbon footprints as if they're 'not insignificant ' is ott

As to how much fuel a commuter might use,and that they should work more locally, that wouldn't go down well on the M11 or any other motorway into Dublin,its idealism

Idealism is good but not too often realistic

Reality is road commuters are saving multiples of the fuel used to carry them to their foreign holiday

It speaks volumes to the 'fauxness' of the outrage on air travel

More in people's line to be looking at the 96% to 98% not the 2 to 4%

I don't see it happening though

That's where I stand on the issue,I think I've got that you don't agree but it's probably for another thread somewhere else,this one might be better going back to its usual fare (pardon the pun 😆)

Agree with that,kind of,my views on airline carbon footprints notwithstanding But I'm more concerned with the waste of money involved and the waste of Dáil time with yet another several hours spent circling wagons instead of legislating or solving problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Post edited by rock22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In this case the virtue-signallers are the idiots in the opposition who put down the no-confidence motion.

Yes, the country should stand still while Eamonn is off saving the planet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, Eamonn has a pair from the leader of the SD.

Yes Jennifer Whitmore

Common Sense really

No sense being complicit in wasting taxpayers money

To be fair to Ryan,he probably genuinely (however misguided in my view) believed his contribution by going back if he had to go home was going to promote a better agreement more important in the long run than the drop of aviation fuel

Now that is what a sensible and responsible opposition party would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Soc Dems have previous and paired with Helen McEntee on her maternity leave.

• Advertisement

Whitmore is not the leader, although it does show that the actual leader may not be as well known as they hoped it multiple people think she is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm amazed Leo, Micheal and Eamon didn't reach out to anyone in opposition and ask for a pairing as soon as the date for the no confidence vote came in. I can understand Leo and Martin to a certain degree, they've never had much genuine interest in Climate change. More surprised with Eamonn though.

On Saturday Leo said in an interview pairing wasn't available.

He confirmed Minister for Climate Eamon Ryan, who is Dubai, will go back to Ireland for the vote next week before returning for the conclusion of the Cop28 climate talks in which he will be negotiating on behalf of Ireland and the EU.

“That’s not ideal but there are no pairs for confidence motions other than illness. So the result of that is Mr Ryan will have to go home and come back again. He will offset the emissions. We’ve a mechanism for doing that,” he said.

He clearly didn't know that a pair was possible.

Sinn Féin and Social Democrats ‘got it wrong’ with divisive move against McEntee - Varadkar – The Irish Times

Given Holly Cairnes did the same with Helen McEntee when Helen was in maternity leave that's an interesting outlook from Leo. He must think think maternity leave is a form of illness. Quite a strange outlook really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is not a codified process and they will be relying on precedent.

Opposition parties have never given pairs during no confidence votes. TDs have been wheeled in from hospitals to vote in the past.

Notable that it was the Social Democrats who offered. New style politics from them, old style divisiveness from Sinn Fein.

100 years of FF and FG in government and opposition set the precedent/protocol but SF are the bold ones?

Nobody could match the spinning in that view blanch, fair play.

I thought illness was covered though?

But I do agree that it's great to a new party buck that trend while traditional opposition parties like FG and FF have never shown any interest in doing it.

• Advertisement

Dick Spring was carried into the Dail on a stretcher for a vote in the early 1980s.

Generally, apart from that divisive time when the crook Haughey was in charge of Fianna Fail in opposition, opposition parties have been fairly ok when it came to illness. That has changed with Sinn Fein becoming the opposition. Remember they wouldn't do a pair for Helen McEntee on maternity leave (says it all about their support for women) and they are doing their best to recall the worst of Haughey's FF.

Advertisement