Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

There's a reason why other news outlets won't touch it with a bargepole...unverifiable and usually hype derived from untrustworthy sources .

Other outlets do have more conservative writers who do cover the right wing subjects, but they don't 'hype, tripe and twist ' like the more tabloid elements .

Gript aren't far right but they are somewhere on the distasteful spectrum between far right and very conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

For starters you called me out in your post, I didn't come looking for you. I didn't claim you said anything about the riots, I used that situation as an example of where the far right are invoked as the cause of a negative situation.

Your belief in relation to this is that the far right in Ireland orgainsed the riots then? Or did I misinterpret that?

There hasn't been any evidence to support that position beyond some far right agitators were active online in the wake of the stabbing and a small number of them protested the same and the morons streaming the riots in a giddy fervor.

The take away from the idea that the far right orgainsed the riots is that they had planned to organise the riots and every element therein, which isn't accurate.

The far right will always take advantage of those type of situations, but the notion that the people torching Garda cars and busses were all card carrying fascists isn't based in reality.

The things that are being attributed to the far right aren't somehow magically existing within legal loop holes. What they are being accussed of is already illegal. The far right isn't dodging through deficiencies in our legal system, so if the far right are orgainsing these things they should be prosecuted for the same.

As for your study. Thanks for linking to it but beyond taking their word for things we're still none the wiser as to who exactly is responsible for all this awful fascism.

I'd also be slightly wary of ISD and some of the statements they have made about other issues (happily pouring petrol on the fire of the George Nchenko case for example). The continued existence of such a body depends on there being a bogey man to fight against.

Don't get me wrong, the far right exists in Ireland, we can observe this in the political sphere, but the scaremongering about them cannot be substantiated.

Also, there's no need to be snarky, we can disagree without declaring our emnity.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There actually is quire a lot of evidence of far right groups and individuals organising and inciting the Dublin riots and American far right figures further supporting and emboldening them.

Nobody has claimed all the rioters and looters were all far right by way. That's just you trying to put words in others mouths.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Can't wait to see Gript dragged through the courts.

Look forward to their made up Garda source being exposed.

°°°°°

Putting words in peoples mouths?

The inference is that all the crimes committed during those riots was thanks to the far right influence. No qualifiying statements are made on that topic as the intention is to create a negative association in people's minds.

You linked to a post that opens with "following last week's riots..." which to any casual reader says its completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Far right activists from different countries have long been aware of the ability to network with each other via the Internet, I know they're thick but they're not that thick tbf.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

That's your assumptions though. There's no evidence that the claims of far right organising are all saying all the rioters and looters were far right.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

°°°°°

It's a convenient by product of the association of the far right with that situation.

The truth is that the majority of the people engaging in serious disorder were not affiliated with any political ideology.

That reality isn't being represented fairly. The reporting of that situation put the far right front and centre of the discussion and did nothing to correct the assumption that they were directing and coordinating what happened that night.

Thugs were mentioned but not before the far right were described as organising the situation. Selective presentation of facts in the most charitable way of describing how the riots were reported.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

RTE got caught using a tweet (probably) without verifying it. RTE has history on doing this and it caused a major problem for the broadcaster in 2011 that resulted in a number of enquiries, contracts not being renewed, a show cancellation and an out of court settlement. The stuff about "misinformation" is spin to distract from RTE's embarrrassment. The Irish legacy media tends to be rather polite to each other as journalists tend to move around between publications and news organisations.

Gript, according to themselves, tried to confirm an identification with a Garda source and Justice source. This was something completely different.

As for journalists and "social commentators", it is hard not to laugh at the Irish Times running that AI generated piece on fake tan complete with an AI generated image. What's even funnier is that Microsoft tested out an AI chatbot on Twitter a few years ago and after a few hours, it was turned into a Far Right AI bot responding about all the usual Far Right topics. It quickly deactivated it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(chatbot)

That cited study seems like rather basic social network analysis and sentiment analysis.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bingo.

It's a foghorn that repeats the opinions of the worst in society back at them.

Ah OK. The usual schtick of trying to downplay and deflect far right involvement from the whole situation.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

No.

I correctly identified the actual involvement of the far right in the situation.

I never said they had no involvement, I merely pointed out that the far right are a handy crutch for the establishment to lean on when they're attempting to deflect attention from their own failings.

Here's the issue with discussing these topics, you and other posters routinely attempt to engage in this type of reductive behaviour "oh here we go with downplaying and deflection" and whatever other approach you choose to try and discredit anyone who disagrees with you.

Glazers Out!

It's not about discrediting though. It's about pointing out this is the usual thing that happens round here; deflection, denial and downplaying.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Given JMG habit of trying to find a band waggon to get a few quid out off the lowest hanging fruit, it's a good venture. But like every other venture he is involved in, he ends up fúcking it up.

While what you are saying is true, but the real pond level are the types of people that downplay the likes of JMG, while parroting a lot of their talking points.

°°°°°

It is only ever about discrediting.

The far right played a part in the riots , but in reality that part was a lot smaller and less significant than reported.

Saying that doesn't equate to deflecting, denial or downplaying. It's just an honest evaluation of the facts minus the spin.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Who is this far right I keep hearing about?

Where are they??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

They are outside proposed DP centres, they are ' citizen journalists ' reporting on immigrants into the country, they are taking videos of Gardai trying to do their jobs, they are online, encouraging people to commit crimes ( while never actually committing crimes themselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Here's an Irish Times deep dive into wrong-Algerian-gate

Behind a paywall for me so if anyone else spots anything noteworthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

They are a cross between Pinochet, mussolini and Freddie Kruger on steroids. Be afraid very afraid. They are everywhere well that's what the main stream media crowd would tell you anyway and it's actually hard to believe the amount on here who believe them. The truth is the real far right in Ireland is a tiny cohort of idiots with an IQ in single figures who wouldn't organise a piss up . The people who believe this crowd were able to organise a riot are the same crowd who think our minister for justice is competent. We all know that's the truth but a lot in Ireland with hidden agendas are using the boogie man of the far right as the deflector for all the issues in society. It's great for the government to push this hard right bullshit as it reflects from their many failures. If you question immigration, gender or climate issues you are immediately a member of that far right group. The most worrying thing I see in the last few years is not the far right but the centerists wanting to stop any debate or open discussion on any issue of national importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And yet the far right are slipping their slogans into every day use, that every day 'normal people ' think are reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Justin Barrett only gained a national media profile in the first place because Irish media wanted to make opposition to the Nice Treaty look bad.

"Hey look! This guy is against the Nice Treaty and is a fascist looper. So you have to vote for the Nice Treaty!"

Oh wow, well if this guy is against x,y,z then I guess I'd better support x,y,z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not an honest evaluation of the facts though because it overlooks the fact that far-right goons have been riling up their followers on social media for months previously, and the riots were a culmination of months of effort, a boiling point had been reached that spilled over from social media onto the streets. It came after months of smaller more spread out incidents across the country. Not long after the incident earlier that day, already there were wingnuts looking to exploit the situation and get their followers riled up:

“Everyone city centre tonight 7pm no excuses everyone out enough is enough,” said anti-immigration activist Gavin Pepper, who describes himself as a local election candidate, in a now-deleted post on X, formerly Twitter.

https://archive.ph/5Xzo9

I think what you may mean to suggest is that the national media places a disproportionate emphasis on the influence of the far-right in Irish society, to which I’d agree, there is an element of that alright, much like the way far-right goons place a similar over-emphasis on what they perceive to be existential threats to Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Irish times and Gript are enemies.

Opposite rivals both commercially and ideologically

Neither can be relied on to be honest when talking about the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭amandstu

Just wondering if that is half the point of conspiracy theories?

A few people actually believe them because they have some kind of a Sargasso sea instead of a functioning brain but the others knowingly hitch a ride because they know these ideas are so off the wall that they can't be countered logically and they can infiltrate their other agendas along side them.

The conspiracy junk seems like it might be like some kind of a carrier disease .

Does that make sense? (it just occurred to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nobody said the far right were responsible for ALL the crimes carried out on the riots , that's a bit silly .

Just for incitement to riot and encouraging " kill the immigrants " theme , that's all . /s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

I think people latch onto conspiracy theories because they feel their life lacks meaning. Conspiracies motivate people, they think they have uncovered some hidden truth, and thus they have found a purpose. It doesn't matter that they're talking bollocks, they've found a purpose where previously they didn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭amandstu

I agree(life is to a degree a class of an illusion/made up picture for the best of us,I feel).

It is the hangers on ,I had in mind

Do they partially buy into the nonsense or are they completely cynical in using the deluded for a separate agenda?

Not really. The IT promotes a range of views including often some far right.

Terry Pratchet

A lot of the opinion here is that the far right isn't a problem here in Ireland and that is expressed repeatedly through denial, deflection and downplaying. The pushback against the denial, deflection and downplaying is because it really just isn't true at all to claim the Far right are not a problem in Ireland as many do.

Terry Pratchet

°°°°°

The influence of the far right is blown out of all proportion in this country.

Every day on the news on the radio the far right is possibly at this point in time the most used phrase you can hope to hear.

A few people calling for moderation in the relation to that isn't anything like how you're framing it.

At the same time we have far left TD's calling for the destruction of the Israeli state over the weekend (Richard Boyd Barrett) on the streets of Dublin.

We have constant far left protests in Dublin but all we ever talk about is the far right.

One form of extremism is tolerated while the other is blamed on things it isn't capable of carrying out. So yeah moderation of this situation is needed and your feelings aren't based in reality.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

So if the far right wasn't responsible for burning down a refugee camp on sandwich Street, burning down the proposed refugee accommodation in Ballybrack and fir8ng bombing the hotel housing refugees in town during the riots then whonwas responsible?

Advertisement