Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its ok, they seem to be sending women to the front, very modren , will you be handing out white feathers like british women did in WW1?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Plus we can't even deport failed asylum seekers and foreign criminals let alone anyone else from Ukraine or elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And what Padre, is your definition of a 'Draft Dodger' perchance??

How does it dovetail with 'Refugee'??

Ukrainian living here are refugees they can't be deported for them to fight a war they have no interest in , there's currently still close to 37 million people in Ukraine,there is zero need for us to deport them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So has it now switched to Ukraine are goosed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Personally I find it quite sick that someone would want to equate draft dodging with legitimate refugee status. Anyone who runs away from a direct threat of murder and torture by putin's forces invading Ukraine in a direct violation of international law and treaties deciding internationally agreed border is a legitimate refugee. If they wish to be very brave and return to Ukraine to fight for their home country's existence in the face of deliberate military attack it should be completely their own choice.

It is very sad to see someone wish for the abuse of refugees by sending them back to a war zone and I would hope anyone doing so would get a direct taste of the violence they are wishing to be visited on the victims of putin's desire for empire building. Are there any Ukrainians calling for refugees from their country to be sent back or any non pro-putin sources claiming there is an actual man power shortage in the armed forces of Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

According to an ECJ ruling on the validity of asylum granted to a Syrian refugee in 2020: "refusal to perform military service, particularly where it is punishable by heavy sanctions, suggests that there is a high degree of conflict in political or religious values and opinions between the person concerned and the authorities of the country of origin."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The way our government is hell bent on increasing the population I doubt they've any plan's to send Ukrainians back even if Ukraine requests it. If this war lasts another 5 years let's say that will be a lot of Ukrainian teenagers across the EU turning military age during that period. Ukraine will need them back to help survive and at some point might need the refugees to boost their local economy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

None of our elected TD's have instructions by voters to increase the population. Do us a favour and take your conspiracies and Gript blend of scutter and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Ukrainian air defense coverage along the front line is reportedly incentivizing Russian forces to rely more heavily on remote strikes with glide bombs. 

Ukrainian officials appealed to international organizations to investigate video footage published on December 2 showing Russian forces killing surrendering and reportedly unarmed Ukrainian soldiers.

Russian forces launched a series of missile and drone strikes on the night of December 2 and 3.

The Russian government is likely continuing attempts to censor relatives of mobilized Russian military personnel on social media out of concern about their protests’ possible negative effect on Russian President Vladimir Putin’s still unannounced 2024 presidential campaign.

A prominent Russian milblogger claimed to have given a “masterclass” to press heads and communications personnel at Russian stated-owned defense conglomerate Rostec, likely in support of an effort that allows the Russian government to normalize the war without directly involving the Kremlin.

The milblogger’s “masterclass” represents an avenue by which the Kremlin can further benefit from milbloggers and shows how possible financial incentives could temper milbloggers’ criticisms of the Russian leadership. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

This article keeps popping up every now and then in the thread. While I can't know whether the bit about the average age of an Ukrainian soldier is true or not, it's still written by Simon Shuster, who is Russian by birth. Which doesn't automatically mean what he writes is untrue (he did spend a lot of time with Zelenskiy since the war started), but some of the sources in the article are "anonymous" which is often the same as "I made them up".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

We're literally numbers on a spreadsheet because economically the governments goal is a higher population by any means. The more people the less our debt per person ratio. It's pretty obvious and I don't disagree with the policy I just don't think we need the people more then Ukraine will who at some point will need them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

What is motivating military age men to travel all the way to Ireland? Surely they can support in logistics or alternative services. At the very least remain in the non military zone. It’s over a year since their own ambassador here advised citizens to consider alternative countries as we have no available accommodation and we still probably had an incoming of plus 50k people since then. What could possibly be motivating them - maybe receiving bed board and payments which exceed their domestic average industrial wage.

Post edited by riddles on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Far more of a conspiracy theory that TD's follow voter instructions.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe it's as simple as Ireland being as far away from the front as humanly possible. And I daresay panicked, hassled refugees wouldn't be checking out Irish news websites on a regular basis, in case their ambassador was telling 'em to steer clear. If our own immigation services were better run we'd be able to process cases easier and faster - but that's another thread altogether.

"Military age men"... like, ok. Let me be as clear as possible from my own PoV: if the tanks started rolling into Ireland from Newry? I'd have my bags packed and my family leaving this country about 3 hours afterwards if I could. Fúck Ireland in that case: my family's more important than any stupid construct of a "nation state" and I have no interest in fighting for it. And I daresay a lot of folk here would be the same; it's easy to chatter about "military age", or positing that the Ukrainian men here should / could be fighting on the front-lines but why should they?

Perhaps it's as simple as the fact that either the men don't want to separate their family, widow their wives or orphan their children; and if they're not with families maybe, they're just scared and don't want to die in a field somewhere with their guts hanging out. I can get that too. Having finally hit the age where it seems men start getting all sorts of potential fatal conditions, I'm keenly aware of the existential terror of not living long enough to raise my children; I can't imagine that mixed with the threat of your family dying in their sleep as a Russian bomb flattens your apartment.

It's not rocket science, and I think trying to divine chicanery or - vomit - "draft dodging" as someone else mentioned, like these folks are weak or cowards, is the talk of keyboard warriors. there's a debate we can house them, and seems like we can't, but if folks from Ukraine want comfort and solace over here? We should help them in the ways we can.

Do you have any evidence that it is specifically military age men from Ukraine that are traveling to Ireland in big numbers?

The figures I can find show a per capita Ukrainian refugee number that is higher in several eastern European countries. Ireland is English speaking and has lower rates of unemployment than some other countries but implying we are taking in a disproportionate number of military age men from Ukraine should come with some evidence in my opinion or else it just sounds like Orwell road stirring sh*t.

Ireland has taken in a bigger number of Ukrainian refugees per capita than some other countries but I think that this is fair in compensation for our inability to provide military support to their fight against attack by putin's forces and his attempts at empire building. Being a distance away from the front lines may be of comfort to some of the victims of putin's aggression that have fled here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's just the Ukrainians-go-home bingo we get on this thread every few weeks when there's some RuZZIan-supplied agitprop that makes its way into the news here, plus the endless Irish envy of anyone (refugees in this case) who are perceived as doing a little better than the one doing the perceiving.

Really hilarious to see the complaining about taking longer for Irish free medical care and subsidized housing. Have some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Going by this thread and your input on it, you seem particularly invested in this war with plenty of opinions and macho rhetoric to go with it. Why not be a have-a-go hero in real life instead of a keyboard agitator? It's very easy to be brave from behind a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Purely anecdotal but Mrs Sleepy is good friends with a Ukrainian woman who's lived here for a couple of decades and raised her family here, I've heard far more stories of Ukrainian men (like this woman's husband) who've returned to Ukraine to re-enlist than I have of "military aged men" coming here as refugees. And from what I've seen from her helping out the refugees in the local hotel providing emergency accommodation, they're entirely comprised of women and children. I'm not saying there definitely aren't a couple of men there but if there are, their ability to make themselves invisible would be far more use to the SBU than the army!

Estimated 15-2000 males over 18 but the department of social welfare or cso will have the detailed figure.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My estimate from CSO figure is 15-20000 I stand be corrected on that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

15 isn't going to make much of a difference in the war.....

I believe it's less than 50 percent women and Under 16s make up the current Ukrainian population staying in Ireland, and from experience living beside one of the reception centres there is a large population of men from Ukraine 20 - 40 years living here ,

Can't see many volunteering to live in a Roden infested trench without even getting the most basic of equipment for up to 18 months ...

But back in actual reality no-one will be forced to return to Ukraine to join the war against Russia not now not ever ,

They have international protection here , anyone calling for Deportations are living in there own world

Taken from the CSO site look it up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still an estimate that holds no truth: and in any case, what if it's 10, 15 or 20 - what's your point? That they should be shipped back to Ukraine and have a weapon shoved in their hands? Or else, what? Jail, death? You're tacitly promoting conscription, basically; presumably you'd also feel similar about the estimated 300,000 Russians who fled after Putin's mobilisation?

Your distaste for "military age men" not being on the front is immaterial versus their right to be here as refugees. You can get into the thick of the morality of whether they should fight - they shouldn't - or indeed whether Ireland has the capacity to house them in a humane fashion, but that they're boys or men has no relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There are enough immigration threads where far right pushed terms such as “military aged men” could be used, rather than pushing the agenda on this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement