Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

you will see most (if not all) political parties coming out with "changes" concerning their position on immigration.

And my belief is until there is a credible political alternative proposing a significantly different approach to immigration, such 'changes' will be largely cosmetic, designed to defuse the issue until we get past the upcoming run of elections. FG's thinkiing will be as long as they can plausibly claim to be even marginally more restrictive than other parties in their immigration policy they won't take a serious hit over the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Why would Fine Gael or others even want to change the immigration laws if they don't believe immigration is harming Ireland? These are very much the opinions of the right or far right.....certainly not of the 'centre' or the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What changes exactly to immigration policy are posters looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not real changes, cosmetic tweaking designed to minimise any political hit they might take over the issue. I don't believe they would take such a hit even if they ploughed straight ahead and damn the torpedoes but it it's not unreasonable to fear it, given the amount of hue and cry about immigration at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Stop letting in every dude from here to Saigon in ( including criminal and mental ill aspect). Capisce. Not too hard to comprehend ehh!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Governments to push for EU rule change.

For example citizens from other EU countries cannot move around claiming welfare.

No housing or medical cards for non contributers.

Removal from state if you become a burden. (This is actually already a rule)

Basic sensible stuff.

Non EU migrants must have skills that employers cannot find in either Ireland or EU. Employers must show how they have searched for applicants.

Migrants must agree to work for that employer for minimum 4 years.

(See Australia skilled sponsorship visa)

well that doesn't answer the question at all and will go nowhere as a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

The latest red c opinion poll on political parties.

That's fine. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that the National Party are the closest to the Farmers Alliance in terms of a political party that actually exists.

quite reasonable I think.

rules are already in place for EU citizens and welfare, so that's not going to change, the legislation is there.

non EU migrants have to apply for a visa currently, so not much change apart from employers obligations, which will probably just result in Irish employers advertising overseas.

So basically you want what is already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Thats because ya have a completely biased view on immigration. Ain't too hard to discern reading all your comments. Absolutely no common ground whatsoever.

• Advertisement

In what way biased?

I'm actually for far more restriction on people living here then most posters.

What policy changes would you suggest?

Still no answer as to how you have voted in more referendum then me.

Already in place but not enforced.

How can we have individuals living here off the taxpayers with the same circumstances as Josef Puska for example.

A 5 bed house. No employment for 10 years etc

How many more similar stories are there?

There are groups of individuals in my small town who aren't in employment. Why are they here

Prsi rates are to begin increasing for taxpayers from January.

This is insanity.

I agree, but it's not a change in legislation that is needed, it's a government mismanagement issue.

People need to protest government inaction. That doesn't involve burning homeless immigrants tents, or protesting outside DP centres etc.

it's not immigration that is an issue, it's government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Dead right. I wonder how the Anti-racism Election Protocol will work this time around, considering how immigration is a big issue for a lot of people. I suppose everyone will be far right I suppose. This protocol of course was set up by INAR and its director Shane O'Curry, who is a prominent Antifa member and activist. Very interested in all the usual shite hate speech bill, too much white people in the gardai etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

Somehow, I think that the next election will be very different from what came before, just my thinking. There's a rising tide of dissatisfaction in the Country with nearly every facet of Life here in Ireland, Housing and Health, rising prices etc. driving dissatisfaction, and a lot of these problems are being linked to inward migration. No, I don't think that the next election will be the usual Irish Election, by any means. There are big changes afoot I believe, but what form will theywill take? Have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

Please go ahead then and explain how you would make changes to reduce inward immigration to Ireland.

Well, I don't have any issues with immigration into Ireland by anyone, UK or EU citizens, visa holders or people claiming asylum. All legal. No issues.

what I would propose though, is every single person coming into the country, planning on living here for more than 3 months should be required to register their name and address. Possibly in the local county council offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The country was in an absolute mess in 2019 before covid even kicked off nevermind the war in Ukraine where we for some reason are providing free holidays for their population and importing the world on benefits.

Everyone was going to SF as an alternative but they're just as terrible.

None(FF, FG, G, SF ) of those parties should be in government after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Some required changes:

Process as many asylum applications as possible at the border rather than bringing people into the never-ending system wherein they're accommodated at our expense. Fingerprinting done at the border. Anyone found to have asylum in another country should be returned immediately to that country. Appeals against decisions should be done from overseas at the expense of the applicant.

Get rid of vague "permission to remain" category for asylum seekers. And the "subsidiary protection" category for that matter.

Make airline staff check passports before disembarking from flights. Have more airport staff as passengers disembark to ensure same. Anyone who attempts to destroy their documents or does not cooperate at the border gets returned immediately.

Significant increase in fines to airlines who allow people to board planes without required visas, or who allow passengers off planes without ID.

Enforced deportations.

Exit checks leaving Ireland.

Those refused entry at the border should not be allowed into open custody, as currently happens.

Reduce the issuing of general work permits to non-EU citizens. There should be no need to bring in people from outside of Europe for unskilled labour when there are many millions of unemployed people across the EU.

Nobody should be entitled to citizenship after just three years living here.

Advanced level of English required for citizenship.

Significantly reduced welfare to non-citizens.

• Advertisement

This is a great example of why referendums on complex issues don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

(1) remove EU citizens after 3/6 months if they can't provide for themselves

(2) be stricter on non-EU immigration to learn English. Huge fraud going on in English schools, although I believe things have improved

(3) reduce UKR refugees to 1% of population, 50k-55k, remove the balance, maybe support housing for them in western UKR

(4) process all asylum claims within 7 days, do not let any claimants past the port of entry, abolish Direct Provision

(5) do not give leave-to-remain to failed AS, instead enforce their deportation order

(6) have the most hi-tech equipment at ports of entry: retina scanner, fingerprints, etc. so that the border is really secure. Have exit checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

But they did work for very complex issues like abortion and same sex marriage. Or they don't work only when you don't like the result?

They work for changes to our constitution. Nothing to do with legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

They work for getting the people's will enshrined in law. They are used for changes to the Constitution because there is no other way. For other thing that normally don't require a referendum one can be still be held as a consultative referendum.

In terms of implementing same sex marraige, how exactly is that a complex issue? It's just doing the exact same as we are doing now for straight people, except doing it for gay people.

Implementation abortion, while not as easy in a practical sense is certainly not a complex issue to implement, let alone a very complex one.

No. They are required in order to change the constitution.

There is no consultative referendum in Ireland. There is an ordinary referendum, which has never happened and is only for a specific piece of legislation.

There are no referendum to seek people's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So your big solution is after 12 weeks they must give their names and addresses to there local authority.....

And what exactly will that solve or achieve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Exactly. Usually only certain professions get vetted. Its use in this way is simplistic rhetoric designed to paint negative stereotyping of non Irish people as dangerous.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement