Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The assumption that Starmer needs to adopt right wing policies and sound like a right wing politician in order to win the next election is an odd one. The Tories are coming up to 14 years in power and are hated by a large swathe of the population now. People who have made a decision to not vote for them are not going to suddenly weigh in behind them again if Starmer starts coming out with decidedly "un-Tory" statements. Sunak himself is deeply unpopular, regarded as a major disappointment and will not be a vote winner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Has he actually adopted any right wing policies though? As odious as I find both the Telegraph and pandering to neoliberals, it's not the same as formally adopting a policy. Far more odious is committing to arbitrary immigration targets for no reason at all. UK productivity is abysmally low and immigrants do certain jobs for a reason.

The problem he faces is that while the Tories are hated by a lot of the country, this has always been the case. Even 2019 was a blip but it did show that moving left in a broken electoral system is asking for failure. That pool of voters has been tapped dry so that leaves the centre ground.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

IMO, it's almost as if Starmer is too afraid to be too much of an opposition leader or to say anything that will upset the apple cart. But you would have thought that anyone with intentions of trying to sweep a strongly disliked government of 14 years out of power would be promising real and radical change rather than a continuation(!) of what the Tories have been doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I suppose he's haunted by the spectre of 2019 and afraid of giving ammunition to an already very partial and hostile press. We all know they're on the way out but nothing is guaranteed until it happens.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,991 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A lot of the anger isnt with Tory policy rather the fact the Tories were unable to correctly implement the policy.

Also you had stuff like the lockdown rule breaking and a group of very talentless unsavvy MPs which are both not policy issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would give a lot of leeway to Starmer in general, and I think a lot of his rhetoric has been understandable. Also it is clear he doesn't want to touch Brexit which is fair.

He does seem to have gone overboard this time though. I still fully believe this is an election strategy to enable a strong Labour majority to actually achieve things but this was misguided.

He is dead right to not touch Brexit.

But what I don't get is a lot of these interviews are preplanned. If he got ambushed about Thatcher on a radio call in show I would understand him waffling some "innovation" line but he is under no pressure to do a Telegraph article.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thatcher is hated viscerally in the Labour heartlands where miners used to work, where steel workers used to work, where car makers used to work.

How does he not know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

But he hasn't "not touched Brexit" . He is in fact still promising to make it work, or at least saying the Tories did not make it work

Quote "“They have squandered economic opportunities and failed to realise the possibilities of Brexit. ..,” he wrote."

Had he remained silent on Brexit, or made no commitment, I could understand. But he is still talking about the possibilities of Brexit, like it is a good idea, just not done right. So not too far from " make Brexit work".

He is making a virtue of breaking ties with Corbyn, because he refused to condemn the Palestinians, while praising Thatcher.

He does. It's also something that'll be forgotten by everyone but the Labour left in a month, if not a week. The comments about immigration are proper Frank Grimes stuff though. That's ground on which Labour are pitifully weak and he's just jumped onto it for no benefit. People will vote Tories out as much as Labour in.

I don't think miners and steel workers are going to vote Conservative. It's hard to imagine a scenario in which they would now that Brexit has been removed as a wedge issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Most people don't have some text book thinking on right and left. They make their minds up on individual topics without having to conform to whatever the supposed right and left answer is.

The people who stick to one side or another without proper consideration are idiots.

Just because Labour wants tougher immigration rules, it doesn't automatically make them right wing.

The problem isn't the Thatcher comment though. It's the fact that it's one of a number of Tory hole sucking comments he just didn't need to make and was under no pressure to make. It wont be forgotten because next week he will be reminding us by making another unnecessary comment.

I think the strategy is we shouldn't even be talking about him at all. Just sit back and let the Tories have all the headlines. Give their explosion as much air as possible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I see that the Tories have made a speech right now about making it much harder for legal migrants to settle in the UK by raising the income lower limit much higher, axing the 20% discount applied to the minimum salary for people looking for a visa for shortage occupations and removing the right for health and social care workers to bring their relatives over.

All of this which will hit the sectors where there is already a labour shortage and a lack of British workers who wish to do the jobs that are involved and the new cap will mean that it's impossible to bring anyone in from abroad to fill the gaps.

At this stage, the Tories are deliberately sabotaging the welfare of the countries own citizens just to appease a far right faction in it's own party who want to get migration down, no matter what the cost on society and peoples lives.

They really are the nasty party.

One extraordinary aspect of the new anti-immigrant laws is that 73% of British people will not be allowed marry a non national and live in the UK with them - they will have to be earning a minimum of £38,700 a year before they can bring in a spouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

I see we have reached the “actually Keir Starmer is playing 4D chess” stage of the discourse about his milquetoast politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

What the actual hell was going on in Johnsons reign! And even now in his mind.

Looking at the option for a military raid on Holland, at height of Covid to get vaccines, which was correctly and quietly shut the feck down.

Only now Johnson is leaking it to The Mail (original source, as mentioned in Guardian link above), 2 days before he has to face Covid Inquiry, in the hopes this will make him look good and decisive??

European relations be damned, reality be damned, Johnson wants to look tough and try create a new narrative before he faces 2 days of legal, factual grilling that no amount of guff will hide. So this is now leaked, and as you can imagine the Dutch are a bit nonplussed, while hopefully a lot of the UK are thinking what type of insanity did we have in No 10

https://x.com/SkyPoliticsHub/status/1731771923288207788?s=20

I have to say, I'm at a loss as to what they are doing at this point. As I said, I've been broadly supportive of Labour's approach to try and conquer the middle ground and govern from a position of strength. But "I like the idea" of stopping care workers from bringing their families with them as they look after British people?

UK has gone completely mad - there's no evidence that even high net immigration is harming their economy or causing austerity. Migrant workers are moving to the place to do actual jobs and to fill actual vacancies.

Technically all he said was if the UK could produce enough workers then they should cut down on immigration which is how it already works anyway.

Mentally he never left the Oxford debating society. He thinks he can just say whatever and it'll all be a good laugh.

This is the man who was holidaying on a billionaire's private island when covid broke out and missed five COBRA meetings. It's not much of a surprise despite the abject stupidity. If he's going to cheat on his wife while she undergoes chemotherapy for cervical cancer then it stands to reason he'd hold a country as small as the Netherlands in contempt like this.

This is the logical conclusion of the British class system: once you're from the right stock you can only fail upwards.

As flawed as Keir Starmer is, it irritates me when people drop terminology like "Tory lite". There's no way any Labour leader would countenance something like this.

• Advertisement

Cummings tweeted at length yesterday that the Rwanda plan was only ever meant to be a cheap diversionary stunt by Johnson, but suddenly the story grew legs and the numerous racists and bigots latched onto the idea. Before long, he had to start actively planning for Rwanda, even though most people in the government and the civil service knew it was bonkers and a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There core values are similar to 1921 King and empire. At present Rishi cannot afford to alienate the core of traditional older voters who have an image of greater Britian.

Not really it takes very little to frighten middle England away from the Labour party. Corbyn managed this in the last election and Corbyn was pro Brexit.

Slava Ukrainii

Gas thing is that if I asked my Tory-voting aunt, were I on speaking terms with her, she'd just shrug, say they're all the same and then vote Tory anyway.

I read a lot of history books in my spare time and the one thing I can't abide is incompetence. If you're one of the keep out foreigners brigade, why vote for these people?

Technically all he said was if the UK could produce enough workers then they should cut down on immigration which is how it already works anyway.

No he didn't. He was baited into it, but he literally said he liked the idea of stopping care workers from bringing their families with them to the UK but would need to see how quickly it is implemented. I suspect he just screwed up, but it is not a good look.

If you can't name the values, I'm going to have to dismiss this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

UK NHS waiting lists of the last 30 years or so.

Today, the UK government increased minimum salary requirements for immigration justification purposes.

They're stripping the country so they can sell off the assets aren't they.

The demolition of the NHS has been a goal of Conservative think tanks for 20 years. They're nearly there, I bet they feel like they can taste it.

They're stripping the country so they can sell off the assets aren't they.

No. I'm not even sure that makes sense.

They have just, over the years, put themselves into a ridiculous rabbit hole of their own creation over immigration and are introducing progressively more ridiculous measures to look like they are tackling it.

It's not just about selling it off its also that they don't understand how tax and society works so hate having to pay for poor people's healthcare.

I think they're employing scorched earth tactics and setting traps for Labour. I think we're at the point where they're that cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Destroying the NHS has been a Tory goal since Nye Bevan came up with the idea after the war.

Advertisement