Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Wait till the further EU expansion. No way our non-contributory welfare system survives that.

It’s as simplistic as “but sure the Irish emigrated” refrain to close down discussion on immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It really isn't. That isn't an attempt to shut down discussion. It's an attempt to discuss.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

This is grasping at straws, you are basically saying AS must claim asylum in the first safe country they arrive, in as many words. Regardless, this particular regulation isn’t worth the paper it’s written on because it’s completely ignored, from looking at the Instagram of many of these poor unfortunate lads who are travelling across Europe on a mighty gaunt, asylum shopping in multiple countries until they will eventually settle in the one with the best welfare entitlements and citizenship requirements. Ireland.

Would you be in favour of enforcing the Dublin regulation as it is or?

I do think having a large number of men arrive from Africa or the Middle East in a village is slightly different than having the same number of Irish men arrive. Simply because if the are Irish it won’t be long before some information about their past begins to circulate. Larry Murphy wouldn’t go unnoticed in any Irish village but his Somali equivalent probably would. And I believe most Irish villages would be massively concerned by an influx of potentially troublesome Irish men also. Not sure too many were delighted when people with drug issues from Dublin started to be housed in neighbouring counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OK. That's your issue where you negatively stereotype all non Irish people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

Interesting take here. Should every women automatically think every man is a Larry Murphy type until proven otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A noticeable shift in policy from the government today - basically telling single male asylum seekers to stay away.

Quite a development. And breaking international law again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I’m not a migrant, nor do I work for an NGO but I’m not overly concerned by immigration.

While the Government could have handled this a whole lot better, I still think taking in Ukraine refugees was the right thing to do.

For nearly 20 years we had one of lowest number of asylum seekers per capita within the EU. A record number last year brought us up to just 9th. The numbers are set to drop by about 1,000 this year, which would be enough to probably move us back down that list by a couple of places.

Aside from the Ukraine refugees, who are here on temporary protection order, our net migration in the years not affected by a pandemic is now in the mid 30,000s. I don’t think that’s particularly excessive. It’s also very dependent on how our economy is doing. A downturn would see those numbers drop. As seen after the 2007 crash, when we had 6 years in a row of negative net migration.

Won’t last. We will find a way. Sure the Irish emigrated and they all got accommodation on arrival. And where they didn’t, they lodged high court cases to get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The numbers are increasing where are you going with the numbers will fall , you've said before and yet we saw the same outcome a large increase in numbers arriving and little or no one been deported

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The numbers are down on this time last year, they did decrease for 5 months, but then started to come up again.By the end of the year they will be a bit lower then last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Found it odd that Varadkar stood up in the Dáil last week and "asked" but warned people not to connect immigration with crime. Even tho his superiors in Brussels are doing exactly that in a bid to tighten migration rules after the attacks in Arras and Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't think we have to leave the EU to have more sensible migration policies.

I don't think the EU is anything to do with us accepting too many UKR refugees - we choose that ourself.

We are free to remove EU citizens who can't take care of themselves, under current rules - we choose not to do that.

Take Denmark as an example: within the EU, they have policies to severly reduce AS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

100% true, our lot want this to continue, cheered on by NGO's and morally superior do-gooders. And if they don't they are too afraid of being scolded by our betters so just let it happen. Denmark took a look at Sweden and did what everywhere should based on the clear evidence available.

Delete, sorry.

Which EU citizens have we chosen not to remove? Also, which Danish policies have been implemented to severely reduce AS?

Jozef Puska and his family, for example.

Under which piece EU legislation can they be removed? AFAIK he came to Ireland, worked and then was put on disability following accident in the workplace.

• Advertisement

Yes, he had a "slipped disc".

Can you cycle with a slipped disc? He was well able to cycle from the village of Mucklagh into Tullamore, and then cycle around Tullamore for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What?

Seriously? You think I have comprehension issues?

There is absolutely no international law whatsoever that states they must apply for asylum the first country they reach.

It is a right to apply for asylum in wherever country they wish to.

Dublin regulations are in relation to multiple claimants.

tell me if I can make this clearer for you?

I'm in favour of all laws being enforced.

Oh yes, very strict alright....

More than 1 000 Syrian refugees have since had their residence permits reviewed, and over 1 00 have had their residence permits revoked

Oh that looks good, I know plenty on here will be licking their lips at the thought of that.

Since Denmark does not have diplomatic relations with Syria, refugees are not forcibly returned at present

OH wait, that doesn't look good. But not to worry, I'm sure all the refugees will leave voluntarily instead. And here's some more of those lovely strict laws Denmark have in place.

having her residence permit revoked by the Danish Immigration Service, and the revocation then being confirmed by the Refugee Appeals Board

Fantastic news. I can just here the chants of "Get her out" being deliriously chanted by gript subscribers.

Maryam still succeeded in having her case reopened. And after an almost two-year process, she was finally granted permission to stay in Denmark.

Oh damn those pesky law people with their god damn laws.

But don't worry, not all is lost.

As for others, the process can be so cumbersome that they give up even before they’ve received a final decision from authorities. Hundreds of Syrian refugees have left Denmark simply to seek asylum in other EU countries

Woo. "Get the party started on a Saturday night." The system works, it actually works.

But when her family applied for asylum in another EU country, they were rejected and sent back to Denmark, where they will now have to start over from scratch in the asylum system there.

Oh ffs.

So in conclusion

Of the approximately 100 Syrians who have received final revocation decisions, thus far none have actually been forcibly returned to Syria

Tbf to the Danish government though, that is a fantastic piece of dog whistling legislation. They are obviously well aware that the average person isn't going to reas beyond the catchy headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do you reckon asylum seekers would be more inclined to head to Denmark with their new 'crackdown' on asylum seekers.

Or do you reckon they'll try their luck in Ireland where the minister whose brief it is still hopes to be able to give them keys to their own pad after 4 months?

Tough one to call, innit?!

Come on, given irelands first class public services like health, education, transport, and housing compared to a Scandinavian country like Denmark, who are obviously notorious for their terrible quality in public services, the answer is obviously Ireland. 👍

But they do deport cut off those who are denied asylum from benefits and the likes,

The Danes had no problem telling their own citizens who married failed asylum seekers to leave too ,many Danes actually ended up moving to Sweden with a foreign partner .

“A rejected asylum seeker has had his application processed by the independent refugee board with a judge at the end of the table. Here, after a thorough individual assessment, it has been concluded that the person does not have a need for protection. Then you have to travel home. This is how it should be in a legal society,” the Minister pointed out.

He emphasized that it is not easy to get rejected asylum seekers deported, adding that; fortunately, the figures reveal that things have gone in the right direction in recent years.

The Immigration and Integration Minister said that it costs Danish society millions when people whose asylum applications have been rejected do not respect the decision that they must leave the country.

Though not asylum seekers, Ukrainian refugees are voting with their feet for Ireland rather than Denmark. So we must be doing something right.

We pay more social welfare, housing and medical cards,the Danes don't take crap ,you refuse danish language classes and job training social welfare is cut and you face Deportation.

Unlike here where Deportation is quite rare and no failed asylum seekers don't just leave

Poor Denmark mustn’t be as well supplied with influential immigration NGOs.

• Advertisement

They don't need that crap,

It's the model we should be adopting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement