Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleed Valve placement in Central Heating Rads

• 04-12-2023 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all - I am curious as the where the bleed valve should be on central heating radiators or does it make no difference whatsoever?, I know they should always be at the top of the radiators , I know that much, but in our house most of the radiators have their TRV on the right of the radiator but then above them is the bleed screw valve. - but I would have thought logically that the 'feed' come into the radiator on the TRV side and then any air that gets trapped in the radiator would be bled from the opposite side to the TRV valve/Feed?

There are a couple of radiators in the house that are like that but on nearly all of them the bleed valve is on the same side as the TRV side.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I don't think it really matters Andy as the air will pool at the top of the rad and bleeding it never actually gets rid of all of the air - there is always a small amount just above the top of the nipple anyway. Sometimes when I'm bleeding I'll pickup the rad slightly (when fitted to a raised floor) at the side of the bleed-nipple and squeeze out that last remaining bit of air.

There are some TRV's though which need to be installed on either the flow or the return, but I think that most these days can be installed on either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ah right thank you for that advice.

Yes on some of our radiators in the house there are TRV's on every rad, some on the right and some on the left, they are of the terrier brand of TRV's , but house was built in 2008 so hopefully thinking they are of the TRV's that can go on either flow or return.

Advertisement