Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

The small Israeli army drone let loose inside an arched concrete corridor kept flying for several minutes, along a 300-metre tunnel large enough for a tall man to walk through unbowed.

To the left and right were rooms with air-conditioning units, functioning toilets and kitchens with running water as well as electrical and communication cables and a now-demolished blast-proof door that Hamas fighters could shoot through.

The tunnel that the IDF said they filmed last month below Gaza’s al-Shifa hospital was, by any measure, a substantial military capability. But it is also only a small part of Hamas’s vast subterranean domain that officials and analysts have said will define the strategic outcome of Israel’s campaign against the militant group.

It's not just tunnels, it's like an underground city. An Underworld. No wonder Gaza is so poor, its leaders have spent most of their GDP on an underground city for rockets and hostages! Probably have Shisha bars and brothels down there too. 'Sorry honey, I can't come home tonight, I have to work in the tunnels again!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Sounds just like the horse **** they came up with when they were bombing the talaban in the torabora mountains,

Images of intricate high tech tunnel and cave systems that wouldn't look out of place in a james bond movie, turned out to be just some caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This post is telling enough given it is posted without any link to a verifiable source or video to show what is being described.

But to write this in the middle of it, 'The tunnel that the IDF said they filmed last month' presumably with a straight face just underlines how little trust should be placed in it.

The IDF has time and time again showed itself to be completely incapable of telling the truth. And you, and others, want us to accept this as fact and you go on to make jokes about people visiting bars and brothels within them.

This type of BS as some sort of opposing narrative to the literal videos of Palestinian buildings being obliterated, people lying dead and broken in the street is so depressing. Like this is some sort of movie or online video game that can be discussed in a light hearted manner.

As the US secretary of Defense alluded to yesterday, all Israel is doing now is ensuring Hamas' continued existence. We know Israel want this, that's to be expected from a genocidal regime. But the depressing thing is that so many on here, on social media, in Europe, the US etc, continue to support Israels actions. This is how the Nazi's did what they did. With the tacit acceptance of too many, for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Israeli MP still going on about the dead baby being a doll and now more Hamas have been killed than civilians. How anyone still believes these clowns is beyond belief

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Thats because the IOF are dead set on vengeance, rather than justice. Given Netanyahus old testament call to arms, that should hardly be suprising.

• Advertisement

A reputation deserved far beyond the current flare up. The US influence gives them the cloak of respectability.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Certainly, they appear to be heading towards being on the wrong side of history in the court of international public opinion. When your support is coming mainly from a collection of right wing and far right cranks in the US and UK media, but not many others, you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't know if anyone's already posted this, but it's an interesting article about how Israel selects targets in Gaza.

I saw it posted by Naomi Klein over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Israel is trying to provoke a war in the region so that they can get the US into action against Iran.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Israel now is where Apartheid South Africa used to be. Protected at the UN by a superpower veto. However, as the BDS against South Africa grew, that veto was harder and harder to justify domestically. Though it takes years, its entirely possible to make Israel 'persona non grata' internationally.

The Dutch government up in court at the Hague this morning on charges of being complicit to human rights abuse. Verdict due in a couple of weeks.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I used get various e-mails, (having freely subscribed to Haaretz newspaper), Most of it was standard advertising, charitys asking for donations in and around holy times - nothing odd. However there was a regular series of mails, asking me to contact my congressman (I'm not american) and lobby for "action" against Iran. That would have been a few years back. Change in Israeli law banned that type of advertising (charity, retail or iran) by email, so I don't get them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I wouldn't think we're at that point yet and I don't believe US wants a war with Iran right now.

The memory of Afghanistan (the pointlessness of it all) is still fresh in the minds and conservative commentators and media spend this year and last talking about how they shouldn't be involved in supporting Ukraine so I'd say a fresh war is not part of their plan at the moment.

Biden has gotten what he wanted out of this conflict, US conservative sentiment is largely in favour of Israel and they approve his actions in supporting Israel as they have done. He's lost a lot of liberal minded people mind, but they're easier for him to get back on side rather than the conservatives near the fence who approve his behaviour in this regard.

Hamas mass raped and gangraped women at that music festival. Before they murdered most of those young girls. How can anyone support Gaza while it is run by these monsters!?

What is the matter with you?

That is one big difference between the Israelis and the Palestinians. At least the Israelis don't mass rape and gang rape a load of young girls before killing them while 'at war'. Guess that makes the Israelis the 'good guys' in this sick war.

We are really starting to see why Israel is so defensive with these maniacs next door. How does one negotiate with lunatics that want to mass rape (and then murder) your daughters? I'm afraid there is but one path.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭conorhal

This is an example of your typical Western liberal mindset.

"As I drown in my own blood, wife raped and kids set on fire, while my enemies fulfil the genocide they have consistently promised.... at least, thank God, I'm not on the 'wrong side of history'!"

I'd take being condemned as 'falling on the wrong side of history' by a bunch of hipster students on an Irish college campus over the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Didn't happen according to some on here 🙄 It's coming out now that men were also raped during the attack. Maybe the deniers will take that more seriously since they obviously don't care that much when it happens to women

You'll find they take the same attitude with their secular neighbours in the West Bank. No amount of kowtowing seems to change their expansionist colonialist agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Almost two months now and still supporting Gaza equals supporting Hamas to some 🙄

Anyone who puts the civilians being bombed out of it and the Hamas scumbags in the same category are as dim as the afternoons here at the minute.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement

Drone footage from Gaza, they must of got at least 50 Hamas from that carnage.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

proposals now being floated for future of gaza:

"John Bolton, the former Republican US national security adviser, has proposed to the UK’s foreign affairs select committee that the Gaza Strip be split into two territories, with Gaza north of the Wadi Gaza River administered by Israel and an area to the south run by Egypt.

Bolton added that he would abolish the UN relief works agency, UNRWA, which he said had “developed an institutional culture of sustaining the refugee status of Palestinians”.

His proposal would involve large numbers of Palestinians leaving Gaza permanently. Bolton said his it would mean Palestinians were no longer stuck in the eternal hell of Gaza, a place he described as a terrorist state.

Bolton said it was clear that the refugees from Gaza would not be able to be resettled in Israel, since that was not consistent with Israel’s security needs. He added that Israel had made it clear it was not even going to provide work visas. As a result, he said, they should be resettled in third countries.

“This is not forcible population removal but doing what we did after world war two – we find other countries that will accept refugees and give them asylum. They have to be put in places where they are part of a functioning economy. Otherwise they do not have the dignity of providing for themselves,” he said.

Bolton, who acted as national security adviser to Donald Trump, warned that if the current population was allowed to stay in Gaza they would be in an “Orwellian situation where there is no future and the Palestinian people will become victims once again”.

He described his plan as an interim solution and claimed it was legal since there was an unresolved mandate for Gaza dating to the League of Nations, and the previous responsibility of the British had not been clearly handed to anyone else.

Bolton’s plan is based on the presumption that Gaza and the West Bank will not form a state as part of a wider two-state solution. His proposal echoes proposals circulating in the Israeli government.

Washington has ruled out such a proposal but as Gaza becomes slowly uninhabitable due to Israeli bombardment, the US could reluctantly change its policy to seek homes for Palestinians away from Gaza." (The Gaudian)

Obvious since day 1 that aim, no doubt they will be allowed to return once things have calmed down and what about those in the West Bank and East Jerusalem ?

- Camille Paglia

They'll continue under a regime inflicting slow drip ethnic cleansing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Uhh, I think maybe that article came from newsnation, which I can't view from Ireland. It seems like a load of nonsense - who is John Bolton to be proposing anything, to anyone? He's a private citizen. Can private citizens make proposals to the UK government on International Relations? I don't see this article in the Guardian online anywhere.

Can you provide a link? This seems fairly 'crank' to me. That said, Bolton's always been a warmongering crank, wouldn't put anything past him.

You will be happy when Ireland takes in a 100K and loads of shellshocked angry Gazans move next door to you. I bet you soon change your tune then.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Was Bolton proposing anything as this article quoted? I think the article's a work of fiction.

Have you got a link to it?

You wouldn't happen to have a link for that, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

He's a nobody as regards US foreign policy now but it could be something close to what Israel is aiming for, given the people leading Israel and the Republicans (aren't latter all just "cranks" of one form or another at this point post Trump tbh?!) are peas in a pod with mostly similar world views.

The latter have always given Israel it's "head", so you can be sure almost whatever brutal crackpot ideas (if any) Israel's govt. float to get themselves out of this, they will say it is wonderful!

• Advertisement

Have a look on the Guardian website, it will only take a minute or two on it.

I think you will find out a lot of things you think are fiction end up being correct soon enough.

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement