Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You'd need one of those ex special forces long lens photographers as she lives in a gated community 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You'd have to ask the same about Jim Jennings.

But then it is a small clique, almost all of the Jornos know weather or not Jim and Dee are taking the dog out for a walk on a daily basis or if they are fight some illness.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Did she sign off on their annual accounts recently!

______

Yesterday

From the Minister and her department, she absolute avoids any thing I said and has a big opening paragraph of where RTÉ sit,

The minister thinks that Public Service Broadcasting is RTÉ, and has no other view on that. It has nothing to do with culture, democracy or anything else.

Simple the Government can only see RTÉ as the main public service broadcaster, and anything to suggest otherwise will be ignored.

______

Yesterday

You'd be hard press to find out that 2 RTÉ board members are going.

Conor Murphy has resigned for "Personal Reasons" he had be appointed in 2020.

Golden boy Ian Keogh (who the press had suggested would get the DG job, and was nominally Deputy Chair, a position that I don't think had existed be for or will again), he started back in 2018 and he has decided not to go for a second term. Yes, he decided he should go for second term.

I wonder what happened between 2018 - 2022?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Is poor Dee Forbes out of hospital yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Given that Tubs and Forbes are long gone from RTÉ, their departures must have taken enough heat out of the crisis for some of those viewers who stopped paying the licence fee to resume paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭riddles

Has it been established if it were true that Forbes and the other senior colleague left on self constructed redundancy packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Forbes' contract was almost up so how? she was actually using up annual leave in advance of the end of her contract when she 'resigned'

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That and a few hundred thousand nasty letters to people not used to recieving them (those used to receiving them will continue to ignore)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Forbes had an initial 5 year contract (same for Bakhurst), with a possible 2 year extension, she was given a 2 year extension, so was just about to complete her 7 years when all this broke, she'd said goodbye to staff a week before, I think they had a party or dinner on her departure. So this would have been the normal exit for a DG, she is on a handsome pension from RTÉ.

Geraldine O'Leary was just about to retire, but she took "early retirement" (BTW she had been on the Executive board back in 2003 also, so she's been around for a great number of years at the top of RTÉ, I actually assumed she'd get DG!).

Rory Coveney may have got a severance package, and the same goes for Richard Collins.

But no confirmation about either.

______

Yesterday

Really why?

Nothing has changed there last press release on cuts is more of the same from RTÉ.

It doesn't make any minor reforms, it almost completely proves my point on Summers in RTÉ that I have mention on several occasions.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

I had planned on not paying it as I genuinely resent it. The inspector called a few times and Mrs folded and paid it. Too busy with etc to launch into full evasion.

Riddles, Mrs Riddles should come on to boards.ie to explain herself 😂

______

Yesterday

There really is no real change in RTÉ.

The Ghost of Christmas Past (Noel Curran) remains ever present

The Ghost of Christmas Present (Dee Forbes) is a bit ill but still hanging around like a loose wheel

While the Ghost of Christmas Future (Kevin Bakursts) is playing scrooge but in reality not really changing very much.

The Daily Mail Headline states: FIRST TIME tv licence payers drop by nearly 50%, now in fairness to RTÉ it is a misleading headline as it only relates to Frist Time licence fee holders, €17m worth of TV licences have so far not been paid.

Over to page 14 of the Mail on Sunday, its HEADLINE is "Bakhurst axes RTÉ's €5k Christmas Tree", its felt is some quarters in RTÉ that the Christmas spirt has gone (IMO decadence in spending more like). According to a spokesperson we've saved approx. 5k compared to previous years... the question should have been why were you spending so much on such a Tree.

I'd wonder why a Giant Tree in D4, in an area of little attraction to most, which also has large tower, requires such a Tree? It is not like the public would go to seek it out, or would happen upon it on a day out in Dublin.

And then to RTÉ2 and 2FM on the same page "2FM and RTÉ2 WILL NOT BE SOLD OFF"

Speaking thought the Ghost of Christmas Present, the Ghost of Christmas Future stated : "2FM plays a valuable role for RTÉ in reaching younger audiences and the figures for 2fm in the recent JNRL survey are encouraging."

Meanwhile the ghost of Christmas Future stated "we also have plans for RTÉ2"... and that the "interim leadership team have done our best to answer" as many questions as possible..... Just not when the interim leadership team will become the leadership team!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Surely all the "young" people are listening to Spotify? :) 2FM should have been dumped but there might have been very few buyers interested.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How does 2FM reach younger audiences? It just plays generic crap like any other commercial pop station,the role is more than catered for.

Unlike every other commercial pop station though it can't make money for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Its 2023. Young people dont listen to the radio. Youtube, TikTok, Amazon Music Apple Music etc. Thats where young people get their music.

The first thing KB should have done was shut down 2fm. Even before streaming music services, I didnt listen to 2fm.

• Joe Duffy knows the definition of young in terms of youthfulness = 100 - 30 or old in the way of being of merit of assistance 50 + 100+

I'd be amazed too if any young person listens to 2FM,but they seem to think so.

https://goss.ie/showbiz/rte-2fm-celebrate-surge-listeners-year-year-latest-jnlr-figures-131218

It's pointless anyway it doesn't make money or provide a public service. RTE might argue they have a remit to cater for all audiences I suppose. Maybe they'll apply that to their TV stations sometime.

The media are unwilling it seems to point out that 2FM has been loss making since 2011, and that RTÉ have funded from the licence fee since then. The also don't want to mention that RTÉ cut Young People programming funding, Drama and have never had much of an interest in Comedy, you would think that Young People's, Drama and Comedy content would help boost both RTÉ and 2FM for younger audiences, both Drama and Comedy are key to this demographic, but RTÉ are clearly hesitant to do either.

I was just think as I was going for my irregular jogs while listening to spotify that RTÉ might consider taking ads out on the service, the ad could simple be a 1min news update or something about 2FM. Same goes for YouTube ads.

RTÉ seem to have no clear Social Media or Marketing strategy. But then it doesn't help that you have no content.

We are all back to the beginning, RTÉ has no other ideas about how to go forward other than to cut funding. No rallying cries from management or staff to try to save the national broadcaster, no rather let just stop.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting read , he could be just a pain in the ring also

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

IMO, 2FM requires the life saving services of an experienced radio programming consultant with an exemplary track record. There are many self proclaimed radio programming 'consultants' in Ireland but most of them are just that, by name. Ideally they would need someone from outside of the country, most likely the US. The consultant would need to be given full programming control of 2FM to aggressively and effectively target it's 15-35 age group demographic and also receive full support from the RTE Radio Centre management. Of course, this is just me dreaming as this will never happen as 2FM is bogged down with its own internal politics and complicated administration procedures. Every couple of years they may replace the head of programs but the overall sound of 2FM never changes.

My point being, there is potential but...

What kind of music do they even play? Lovestruck teenage girls favourites I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I don't think they even do that effectively tbh.

Advertisement