Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Strange game yesterday, although a terrific result. Such great goals too.

Thought the performance was poor overall. Our midfield was so easy to get through.

Szobolozi needs a rest. He's definitely been below par recently. Gravenberch was poor also, but he's had a good start to his Liverpool career. I feel sorry for MacAllister, he's not playing in his favoured position. Diaz didn't have his best game. I thought Trent was MOTM. Obviously the goals, but some of his passing was sublime.

Endo was great when he came on. Gakpo was very good too. Both should start on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Im only watching motd now . Phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It wasn't a case that our midfield was easy to get through, every chance that Fulham created came from a diagonal into the space at right back. 4 times in the first half we gave the ball away with a sloppy pass from deep, Matip and The Greek twice, can't remember who misplaced the 4th. We are completely exposed whenever that happens as Trent sets himself up in the inverted role in the middle when we’re in possession and the midfield 3 have taken their places just ahead of him so we now have an entire area on the right-hand side free, we could play peak Kante at the base of our midfield and that space is still going to get exposed as we are not set up to defend it while in possession! Klopp is going to have to address this sooner rather than later, teams are getting better and better at exposing that area as the season progresses, we either more Trent to the middle and play Gomez at RB or or we just continue with risk it all football, think of all the one on one Allision has saved us with. Now he's not there, we're going to conceded more the next few games.

Post edited by Ottoman_1000 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is an opportunity here to win the league with the addition of a pure no.6 in January. I don't think we'll get one but its obvious we have lots of quality throughout the starting XI but lack balance in midfield. We could be getting so much more in offensive play from Grav, Mac and Szobs if they were freed from so much defensive work they are not suited to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Would be nice to still have bobby as a bench player because u think we should sign an additional attacker for depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought keeping the number of attackers in the squad at 6 when we play 3 would have been good alright.

How did they take that FK off Trent? Like how can you say that ball wasn't going in after crashing the underside of the bar? Should be a way to appeal that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

? Strength in depth in attackers, players don't want to give the season on the bench, strange how the Henderson/ fabinho shouldn't have been sold chatter dryed up, there's consequences to keeping players too long for sentimental reasons.

I think you are remembering that chatter and regurgitating it arseways.

There was obvious concern at selling Hendo and Fab when other outgoings in MF included Ox, Milner, Carvalho, Melo (useless as he was) and Keita.

That was 7 outs with only Sobo and Mac in with the new season starting in weeks.

Subsequently Endo and Grav were bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I feel Bobby could offer a bit still while the other lads unfortunately we're passed it.

• Advertisement

Nunez was average at best yesterday. A few chances and he didn't convert.

I like the guy and really want him to succeed, but he's definitely frustrating at times.

His composure isn't consistent when he has a chance, sometimes he'll blast it, sometimes he'll place it perfectly!

He needs to step it up as Salah will be away next month. Some massive games coming up in the league.

For me Gakpo should get a run now.

On another point Diaz also needs to step it up. After what he's been through he can be cut some slack. He was poor yesterday though.

I said it before, but it’s not a simple as just buying a No.6 ala Fabinho, as we do not set up that way anymore. Before we used to play Fabinho at the base and our 2 No.8 would chase and hound the opposition at will, all while our full backs bombed forward. We were comfortable in the fact the legs of Fab and VVD would easily cover 90% of the gaps left behind. Now we set up with Trent at the base with the 3 midfielders further ahead, Szobo and Jones/Grav generally playing the most advanced of the 3. We no longer bomb forward down the wings either, now a lot of play goes to the feet of the now advanced 3 midfielders or diagonal balls from the centre to the wide areas through Trent. This system makes us very good on the front foot as we now have an extra ball playing midfielder in the middle to try work something and Trent offers the dual treat then from deep…the problem is obviously then when we lose the ball unexpectedly as Trent is technically the only player in the deep lying role, but he can be often very high up and out of position and also is often the one who gives the ball away, before Fab would have been sitting back waiting for such mistakes, but now for whatever reason Klopp sets us up with the midfield trio ahead of Trent at all times. Just look at Fulham’s first goal on Sunday Matip gives it away with a sloppy pass, but it highlights perfectly what happens when the system breaks down…

Definitely I'm starting to fear both Diaz and Nunez are better impact players.

When Salah is away I hope the MFs can step up with goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He missed a couple chances he definitely should've scored and had a poor game overall, but Nunez also got the "pre-assist" on the third and fourth goals. His head didn't go down and he kept fighting for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

This comment on Reddit was an interesting read I thought:

He was involved in a lot of the good work to win the game.

Obviously he needs to score goals and I'm sure he will but I don't get the impression that he doesn't try or is lazy or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

We're very heavily rumoured to be signing Andre in January to add to our defensive midfield options. Just won the Copa Libertadores and has started Barzil's recent games.

I'm not sure he'll be able to contribute much before March is the only thing. He's almost at the end of a 60+ game season. His last game for Fluminese will probably be against Man City in a couple of weeks which will be a good test for him. He'll need a six week break after that. Maybe he could play some games for us in February, but no chance in January I'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

Currently quite a few of the squad are South American and we have seen them struggling in games on return due to distances travelled and our timing of games seem to suit EU players. Do we want to add another from that region ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The keeper was in front of the goal line, the cross bar was behind him, so the wall was coming out and away from goal when it hit him and rebounded in. Seems pretty clear the ball was not going in the direction of the goal when it hit Leno, which is the definition of an own goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

New manager bounce for the blades on Wednesday 😣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Any word on thiago, is he dead or alive these days, some joke of a player, great when fit but the guy is made of glass, keita the second he is, time to move him on ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Sorry but lets call a spade a spade, he had a poor game.... again. And its not just the finishing, although the one where he was 8 yards out and completely missed the ball was laughably bad. The amount of times he is caught miles offside is infuriating completely kills the intensity, Id love to see stats on it but it feels he gets flagged at least 4 times every game and with his pace there is absolutely no need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He's been flagged offside 12 times this season in all comps. A few in the last few games alright.

He scored 2 against Brentford, but both were offside. 1 of them was unlucky as it was barely his toe offside. Hit the bar yesterday. Unlucky possibly there. If they go in, then the viewpoint around him changes.

He does need to start scoring a couple again tho after a bit of a barren run since the international break.

Fecking Wilder back again too, expect them to be up for this now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

himself and Bajčetić are locked in Klopps basement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'd prefer to see a robust centre half added to the squad. Quansah has been great but he's only 20 and questions remain about the ability of Matip, Gomez and Konate to avoid being sidelined with niggling injuries.

Tsimikas is a defensive liability at left back. Kelleher was criticised for the goals conceded against Fulham, but Tsimikas had a couple of lapses that led to their third goal. He was shockingly bad against Toulouse and isn't convincing as a full back in the current setup.

Those are two positions I think need to be addressed before revisiting the midfield and I don't think either will be resolved in January. If Andre is indeed signed in January, I very much doubt he will start games regularly before the end of the season. The physicality and pace of the Premier League is a world away from the style of football played in South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Any word on Robertson's return btw?

Not even a hint of one yet. I would just assume next year at this stage, as once he is back running it will take a couple weeks to come up to speed anyways.

Have to agree on Tsimikas.

Both sides of his game have regressed.

His jump or lack of same for their 3rd was tough to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think Tsimikas has played quite well the last 2 or 3 games.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Diaz hasn't got going this season yet and also has his father issue which I'm sure messed with his head quite a bit, but he has enough credit in the bank proving he is more than good enough to start for us.

Nunez though, until he addresses his tendency to miss sitters he's going to get criticism and it's fair to question him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One of our best players against City last weekend. I think the workload might be a bit much for him now as the only LB though - he's having to play all of every game, which is a huge ramp up in intensity for him. Put in an absolutely massive shift last weekend, then had to play midweek, and again yesterday so it's not too surprising to see a drop off.

Hopefully we can give Luke Chambers a run out in the last Europa group game and see if he might be ready for some minutes. Maybe start to rotate Quansah or Gomez into that LB spot (even though it's far from ideal) to share out the minutes a bit too.

• Advertisement

He was ball watching. Didn’t even know the lad was coming in behind him. He never even jumped.

Robinson was like lightning on his feet and kept Salah quiet. Nunez was poor for the chances he had. Overall they had a very fast back four which kept the front line quiet. Only for wonder goals (I think the placed Endo goal was best) we would have thrown it away.

But, it’s win, even if it’s tough.

It's fair enough to criticise Nunez misses - but I'd still be starting him every chance we get. We just look a far more dangerous team when he's in it, and he really impacts a game far beyond just his goals/misses.

Mo Salah has played almost double the league minutes of Nunez - but 9 of Mo's 10 league goals have come when Nunez is on the field. That's massive. The sheer chaos Nunez creates is what gives Mo space to work, and Mo clearly loves playing with him too - nobody has given him as many assists as Darwin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

This might come across as a snide comment - honestly not meant to be - but I skip your comments every time if there's just one large block of words there. Sorry, paragraphs are your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Interesting stat when we're talking Darwin's misses...

I'm not denying he's had some bad misses, but it has also become a bit of a narrative. Mo missed a much worse chance yesterday, but it won't be discussed as much. I was at the game and Darwin was easily the best of our starting forwards (admittedly it's a low bar yesterday). He single handedly got the ball back when Fulham were kicking off after Endo's goal, 30s later we were winning

Overall though, we were so mixed yesterday. Some really nice play and goals, but so much terrible play. So many simple passes not reaching their target, everyone just seemed to be on slightly different wavelengths to each other. And the defensive lapses for the goals were very poor. I really want to defend Caoimhin but he had a poor game

On the plus side, the atmosphere was brilliant, especially at the end 🙂

There was some comments recently about TV packages and I just clocked that Sky haven't shown a single game at Anfield yet this season. The first one will be the Man Utd game on December 17th, half way through the season. You'd expect that to change in the second half and they show most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

According to the Guardian, Haaland will not be charged for yesterday, City as a team will be punished instead.

I give up. Basically the whole team should go all in on the referee, will avoid suspensions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Probably a ball breaking 100,000 fine for City. I'd say they would need to dig behind the couch for the change.

Ah come on, Haaland has 14 league goals, Nunez has 4.

Sure they are both missing chances but really that's where the comparisons end so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nunez definitely helps the play and links up well with Salah but he has to finesse his finishing. He is the no.9 he will be judged on his goals. I want him to succeed, he has the attributes to be a world class striker if he sorts his finishing.

Sort out the hair though mate, those braids are cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's more a comparison of the narrative. If you just follow that you'd believe Haaland never misses and Darwin misses everything

Darwin's finishing is clearly not good enough, I'm not suggesting it is, but I still think he brings a lot to the team when he plays. His all round play is significantly better this season than last and I would have him starting most games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

He needs to learn how to keep his composure and just place the ball I to the net. He always tries to put his laces through it. For example,the game against Toulouse where he goes around the keeper then blasts the ball at the post. He could just roll the ball in. And there's many other occasions similar to this.

We had a number 9 for years who wasn't judged on goals. As long as the team is better with Nunez than without, he should start. The fact that he actually creates a tonne of chances for himself on top of the harassing and pressing and build up play should for now perhaps be viewed as a major bonus. If he can get more consistent and finesse'd with his finishing, he'll be top top top tier.

beyond me why anyone gives a fck about his hair though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I think he will hit a purple patch where all those chances go in, it might be a couple of seasons away or a couple of weeks,he is only 24, he gives entertainment and frustration no end.

He is relatively inexperienced for his age too. He has only played <12,000 mins in his club career.

Just for comparison, Saka who is more than 2 years younger, has played >15,00 mins in his club career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Some people have had it in from him from the start.

I'm sure he will be a success. He is up for the challenge anyways.

• Advertisement

Weve spent 80m on someone to get goals at a similar rate to Mane.

Bobby was the third striker really in terms of goals.

I really think the chances he creates are being over egged a little. Peo6ate going back to second and third assists now looking for a contribution. There were some assists to Salah at one stage but those instances were clean breakaways, 2v1s etc, he's yet to find teammates in a crowded box very well.

Hopefully it will come. We need someone to ease the burden on Mo with Jota out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The midfielders might ease the burden on Mo as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

That’s actually a fair comparison. Nunez outscored Mane in their first seasons at the club but played more games.

Second season Mane got 20 goals in all competitions. I expect Nunez to match that this season.

As long as Salah keeps hitting world class numbers, that’s enough to make us competitive in the league assuming the defence does its job.

Read an interesting stat on twitter about Nunez,when we bought him he was aged 23 and had played about 9500 mins of club football. Torres was also signed at age 23 but had nearly 13000 mins played. Now I'm not saying Nunez will turn into torres but maybe he might develop a bit later than torres.

This is not making excuses for him either because at the end of the day his job is to put the ball in the net and he had 2 good chances yesterday and couldn't do it. But I think everyone can agree his overall game has improved on last season

Kyle Walkers jump for Spurs 3rd goal was just as poor but very little talk about it. It seems whenever our full backs make a "mistake",it is highlighted a lot more. Not having a go at you here,just a more general comment .

• Advertisement
Advertisement