Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I looked at owl boxes, by the time you paid carriage it was 2 years payment nearly. I made my own for about 50 euro.

If you are entering this year do not opt for bird box options unless you are in an Sac/ hen harrier area

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Can ACRES general apply for NPI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

I don't think so. Only CP zone as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

It's not just bird, bat or owl boxes. We as farmers need to start looking these schemes and ignoring them unless there is worthwhile payments attached for our time and effort.

When I dud bird and bat boxes in GLAS the cost of the boxes made up was about a single years payment. The owl.boxes were nearlu two years when courier charges were added. But installation of them was a nightmare. By right you would need a cherry picker to get them into position.

Bird and bat boxes were not in general Acres in 2022. I was disappointed as about 50-60% of existing boxes were still OK. I think the department and environmentalists need to understand that there must be enough in it for the farmer as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Bad form on that alright. If they are up, providing shelter and hopefully working, then payments are deserved.

I’ve a long farm, definitely have owls at one end- I wouldn’t mind trying to put a box at the far end as an option for them. I’ll do it myself but payment would be nice.

Tge owl boxes are also suitable for Kestrels, buzzards and other bird of prey as well. Only problem is crows might nest in them as well and if they do we are supposed to clean them out the following autumn.

Mind you they are going nowhere with trying to help bird numbers until we start to control the crew population.

It has taken them twenty years to realise the deer population needs controlling and they are a grazing species unlike the crow which is a carrion species

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Whats the story with round feeder in Acres. I know of one farmer feeding cattle outside using round feeders, the land is like the battle of the Somme. Are you allowed to designate areas for feeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As far as I can remember you cannot supplementary feed cattle on Acres plots. You can feed meal to sheep but troughs have to be moved to avoid poaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Surely a sacrificial area or a hard stand is better than destroying everywhere. Do they think we are going to draw feed on our backs to the feeder to avoid poaching. I read where you are not supposed to pitch on a rocky area either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Friends in gun club have mentioned crows are over populated. One mentioned seeing 2 grey crows attacking a bird of endangered species

Huge issue now for other wildlife. I saw them chasing a buzzard and technically the buzzard should hunting them. We did not start an official bird count until 2018/2019 I think and we cannot carry out any culling or targeting of over population until that bird count is complete. I think it is a five year program. The bird directive was updated in 2009 by the EU.

Basically it's working agaist birds in Ireland as we can do nothing to control the crow population until about 2025 at the earlist.

On Grey crows twenty years ago when I started farming there was no Greycrows on the place. About 12 years ago the first one arrived around the wet reedy part of my land now there is 6-10 around the place.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ya it's similar to the deer issue by the time actions are taken serious environmental damage has been done that with take decades to recover even if it is managed.

The badger population is exploding as well. Foxes not so much as being nearly complete carnivores they struggle with over population.

We probably need to reduce the crow population by 80% which is a significant issue. Its probably doubling every couple of years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Their will be a huge increase next year on the back of unharvested crops to compound the situation, theirs 1000s of crows in the fields bordering us working their way through 40 acres of unharvested spring barley

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭RockOrBog

Corncrake nest in the neighbours field 2 years ago, the crows soon made a meal of the chick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I spoke to a private ACRES advisor today and he said there's already been 8,000 applications submitted for tranche-2.

So, for me with the Tier-3 actions it's a matter of taking a gamble or not. If the Dept stick to their 4,000 places stance, then I'd waste the price of the advisor fee as I'm very unlikely to be accepted. But if the Dept change their minds as they did with tranche-1, and accept all applications then I'll miss out if I don't apply.

Communication from the Dept has been as clear as mud.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dept won't look good not accepting 4,000 farmers into an environmental scheme. I think Minister will try and find the €30m needed. Think it's better odds than putting it on a horse. The money return is 50:1, I think the odds are better than even.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

I 'd say go for it. It wouldn't look good politically to refuse any applicant considering all the concern nowadays about the environment and emissions, water quality etc etc etc

• Advertisement

I’ll ask him anyway 😂

I’ll have to check the figures but it’s probably worth a punt alright.

Any rough idea what a private advisor might charge for a plan whose only actions/measures are planting new hedging and fencing waterways?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Nothing showing yet. Hopefully after midnight or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

500 eu for plan.no annual fee as no farm visits .records can be filled up by yourself as they dont have to be submitted to dept ,only filled in and kept up to date .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

That's fine, but there's a lot of machinery, stock and tractors changing hands this month on the promise of payment this side of Christmas. I bought a trailer yesterday and have other big bills to sort before year end.

If the Organic payment is similarly delayed there'll be rank disappointment around.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Just to add: the advisor told me this morning he'd charge €500 for my application.

Still no decision made thou. I'd be planting around 450m of new hedgerows which would be worth roughly €2,300 per year. Take away €1,500 for the plants and fencing (and my time???) and I'd have around €9,900 after the five years. Plus hedgerows that would need to be trimmed/maintained every year.

Good money and maybe worth the €500 gamble. But I spoke to a two other farm reps and they reckon the feeling from the Dept is that even if everyone is accepted in tranche-2, the overall budget will remain the same. So there'll somehow be less for everyone overall.

I'm not sure how they'd implement such a cut in payments, or if it'd be even legally possible.

But equally, if 10,000 apply and they only accept 4,000, what will they say to the 6,000 who have handed over €500 to their advisor for nothing?

[Thanks for reading - typing it out helps get things straight in my head!]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Have you anything other than hedgerow?

Nothing else suits from what I can see.

The advisor asked about low-input pasture and I've 6 acres that might suit that. But it's results based and he'd have to come out to score the ground and see how many different species of grass and other plants he could identify. If he scored it 4 or lower, then I might get zero. I just don't want that kinda stuff hanging over me.

Hedgerows are the only fit for me and the farm. I've no issue with that being tier-3 - that's just the system. But the flip-flopping by the Dept is making it difficult to take a €500 punt.

In hindsight, I should have applied for hedgerows in tranche-1 but even that would have been a gamble since it was only after the applications went in that the Dept announced everyone was being accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Theres every possibility that they may adjust-reduce the payment structure re max amount that can be drawn in tranch 2 to try and accomodate as many as possible to get into acres scheme.we have seen this before in reps and glas the latter by reducing the most popular options for those entering after tranch 1.This would also be a factor with an election looming in' 24 or '25 at latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

So you are saying that you will get f2300 each for planting the hedge?.Did your advisor tell you this? Seems serious money

Advertisement