Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because the rail lines aren't underground - how could the station be?

They are building a new railway station there at the same time as the metro. Perhaps it could be slightly further west, but there is a limit to how much the Metro can bend out and it's probably close enough to its limit as is so the connection would suffer.

All in all, it's a pretty small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

In my opinion having both Metrolink and DART connections to the island's busiest airport would be extremely beneficial, considering the two lines serve different areas, but for some reason everything has to be "either this, or this".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Extending the Metro to Donabate would be a good idea I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

Not exactly on the topic of Metrolink but DART+ North intends to run a DART style service all the way from Connolly to Drogheda, so it would stop at Donabate.

The DART+ projects will definitely change the face of Dublin's transport and it's good that it interfaces with Metrolink at places like Glasnevin. One of the few times people have planned ahead in this country, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Extending Metrolink to Donabate isn't realistic given the level of development around the station. It would have to be Rush&Lusk, you could have 4 heavy rail platforms there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

No, there would be enormous opposition to that and I'd assume environmental/conservation reasons why it couldn't happen. You'd also have enormous difficulty sitting a Metro station beside Donabate station given the existing buildins and road layouts, you'd be threading the eye of a needle to avoid everything and it likely wouldn't suit alignment limitations.

At R&L you'd have lots of space to have 4 heavy rail platforms (I'd terminate DART services there and have commter services going further north) alongside the Metrolink platforms so very easy to change to another service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Rush & Lusk would be an even better option from a perspective of opening up more land for dense development perspective anyway. The longer distance of R&L versus Donabate allows for the opportunity to build multiple Metrolink stations along the line north of Swords.

That area is massive, you could fit the equivalent of two maybe even three extra Swords along the route of the line.

Sorry no, the equivalent of two or more Swords between Swords and R&L station is way OTT. Metrolink plans four stations for Swords along a distance of 3.5km. Estuary station to R&L would be less than 8km. Even at significantly higher density, you'd only get one urban area in between otherwise you end up merging Swords and Lusk into one sprawling mess.

You could develop a new urban area on the R132 between the Tesco distribution centre and Blakes Cross. Develope a town centre in between them and you already have industrial type uses on the outskirts of the new town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭gjim

I don't get the enthusiasm for building new population centres/dormitory towns far from the city, even if they have good public transport links.

Developing masses of housing far/separated from the city core in places like Swords, Tallaght, Mulhuddard/Blanch, Lucan, for me was a historical planning mistakes which is to be regretted and not repeated and compounded.

There is so much brownfield land, derelict sites, underdeveloped land, etc. available within the M50 - this should be the focus for population growth in the future. There's well over 100km2 within the M50 which, with European medium levels of density could accommodate 2m. Then it becomes trivially economically viable to provide a dense rail-based (metro and tram) public transport network in such an area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

More than enough room for a couple of million more inside the M50. You look at places such as Broadstone and Glasnevin. They are still like villages and both practically city center.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Take a look at a map, you could fit the equivalent of at least 1.5 Swords between Swords and Lusk. Also I’d assume they would continue on the ML as far as Rush, so you’d have another very attractive either to develop between Lusk and Rush.

I’d also suggest that these new areas would be built to a higher density than Swords was originally.

Another thought, once North of Swords, the ML doesn’t just have to go to R&L, the line can split, one line going to R&L and another line going more North West.

Dint get me wrong, I’m not saying all of this will happen overnight, I’m talking about how the city can develop over the next decades as it grows. You could open the line to R&L and then gradually add stations along the line from Swords as it grows out, a North West split would be reserved, but could come much later.

But this area isn’t far from the city, it is extremely close.

Lusk is just 20km from O’Connell Street and the area we are talking about is 15 to 20km from the city.

By comparison Bray is also 20km from the city and of course the entire area between Bray is already developed or will be.

It would be pretty stupid not to develop this area.

To put this in comparison, Drogheda is 40km, Nass 30km, Greystones 27km and people think nothing of commuting these distances. 20km or less would be considered close to the city in most decent sized cities.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with your comment about poor planning decisions in the past, low density developments. But what I’m suggesting is fixing that at this location by building tall dense apartment building (and mixed development) at this location.

Basically this is a golden opportunity for us to do this sort of dense commuter development right.

Also I completely agree with us also developing all the Brown field sites inside the M50. It would be madness not too.

But I think you underestimate just how large the population of Dublin is predicted to grow and how many people you can fit into these brownfield sites, in particular with likely limitations on height due to NIMBY neighbours.

in reality over the next decades we will likely need all these brownfield sites, plus the West of Dublin Dart+ developments AND all that area north of Swords just to keep up with population growth demands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's a certainty that brownfield will not get you out of a housing crisis. It just doesn't deliver at the level needed, and it's slower to build on than greenfield due to the need for site remediation and the proximity of NIMBY neighbours.

ML in North Dublin, and DART beyond Adamstown is the way to go in the establishment of new railway-based towns. "Far from the city" should be measured by train journey time not distance and there is plenty of land. In comparison, Wicklow is not a great place for this; beautiful landscape, terrible N11 congestion and single track tunnel under Bray Head mean that even the current level of housing development in Greystones is overbuilding. And DART West isn't great either as the only two sites are Westmanstown north of Lucan which is mostly a golf course, and halfway between Leixlip and Maynooth, which has the Carton Estate on one side and will be the site of the depot.

Agreed that it could be a good idea to split ML with one part terminating at R&L and the other following the M1 off into the distance. Demand to the R&L branch will be low, the other one will be busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Isn’t the planned new DART depot beyond Maynooth close to Kilcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. There is no space between Maynooth and Leixlip anyway.

Adding 60,000+ people between Swords and Lusk would go against every bit of modern planning practice. Even at multiples the density of Swords, it would require a huge area which simply isn't available. You have the M1 on one side and the Malahide Estuary SAC on the other side, the developable area isn’t that big.

The bar for justifying for developing green fields is only getting higher, every piece of guidance and legislation from local to EU level is largely against it, certainly on a large scale. And developing new areas requires far more in terms of infrastructure which takes a long time to develop from scratch.

Metrolink to R&L would be extremely busy with people changing from/to the heavy rail line. In addition to commuters, huge numbers would use it to access Dublin airport, including a large portion of the population of NI. I'd say the additional passengers it would add would be significant relative to the cost of the extension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Don't agree with any of that. No reason not to build on low-value land and proximity to the M1 is a plus not a minus. If there are barriers, they need to be removed - otherwise how is the housing crisis ever going to end?

"Extremely busy" might be hyperbole for R&L. The number of NI passengers changing to ML there would be very small, just the rail share of the NI share of Dublin Airport's passengers. And local demand would be low that far out of the city. It'd be a quiet station, if a useful one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Keep to the topic please. Post deleted.

• Advertisement

No it would not, nonsense, it would be right in line with best European practice of developing new rail oriented dense commuter towns.

The fact it is next to the M1 would be a bonus that would make it more attractive.

Of course you would have to work around the SAC, I’m not suggesting otherwise. Just to be clear, I’m not talking about developing on SAC land or knocking native forests or anything like that. I’m talking about developing on standard farmers fields.

I have to laugh and roll my eyes when people talk about environmental issues with developing farmers fields. Most of Irelands countryside is the most industrialised and sterilised farming land in Europe. Most of it has little environmental benefit at all.

New tall apartment buildings surrounded by parks with newly planted native trees and native wildflower gardens would likely have a greater environmental diversity then relatively sterilised farmers fields that have pesticides spread over them frequently!

And BTW 60,000 extra people is nothing, the government predict that by 2040, the population of Dublin will grow by 250,000 people and another 250,000 in the GDA. That is a lot of people, we will need to build a lot to house them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I would not ignore the value of food security for the country. That's some of the best land in the country, I believe a crazy number like 80% of Ireland's fresh veg is grown in Fingal.

More expensive but converting existing industrial sites on the Metrolink corridor to residential would be more of an encouragement for active travel as well as using Metro, by way of being closer to existing amenities and town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland has no problems with food security. Ireland does have problems with housing.

Brownfield and greenfield development are going to be necessary and there is no way a rail corridor like Metrolink would not be heavily developed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just the shear capacity of the Metrolink routing should be exploited by building high density housing and supporting infrastructure including commercial employment, schools and medical centres.

The Dublin Industrial Estate would be a good place to start. It is close to the Cross Guns proposed station that would serve the ML and Dart plus.

Exactly this. We are reducing land productivity now by choice for environmental reasons, productivity could unwantedly fall even further due to climate change. And that's before considering a reduction in quantity of productive land from climate change. Farming is adapting and it is a slow process but undoubtedly greater biodiversity will be achieved by retaining agricultural use but with rewilding than concreting over the fields and planting a few trees in man-made parks. Food security is going to be a major issue going forward, those with the best levels of it are likely to be the most successful.

Creating dormitory towns on fields went out 20 years ago. There is no shortage of previously developed but underutilised land available in Dublin. Plans are already in motion for development of vast areas of industrial land around Dublin, that will be developed much faster than building new towns with new infrastructure. At Swords alone, there is 140ha between the M1 and R132, excluding existing residential.

A ML connection to the rail line would result in a big increase in demand for rail services. It makes a huge number of jobs in north Dublin an easy commute for many people. It would also result in many journeys to/from the airport switching to rail/ML combo. Some trains could terminate at R&L allowing for greater frequency north of there which would make it even more attractive. You'd even have people travelling a few stations north by train to switch to ML. Such an interchange would be well used.

I’m sorry Pete, but no, this would have zero impact on Irelands food security.

Ireland ranks as the 2nd best in the world for food security. We exported 80% of the food we grow.

If we were in any way concerned about food security we wouldn’t focus so heavily meat and dairy which while make the most money are relatively inefficient use of land in terms of calories per hectare versus crops and veg.

Developing these lands would have little or no impact on our food exports, never mind security

BTW we do have one concern with food security and that is fertiliser, most of which use to come out of Russia and Ukraine. We need to get self sufficient on that. We need to build out the infrastructure to generate green hydrogen, from which we then generate green ammonia which makes fertiliser.

BBTW I do like the idea of terminating some trains at RL to help increase frequency north of there.

Though I do find it hypocritical that you want to increase frequency and thus develop towns like Drogheda which are 40km from Dublin, but then don’t want to develop areas just 15km from the city, doesn’t make any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I did not say Ireland has a problem with food security. As if I didn't know we have problems with housing.

Keeping it has a value. That quality land within 20km of a nation's city centre is a gift. And should be taken into consideration when planning for housing.

I'm not saying that Ireland's food security would be threatened but there are many factors here. Reduced yields and increased population will obviously result in less food, even if still way more than enough. Apply that on the global scale, plus there'll be other negative effects from climate change, it is a major consideration. In the coming decades, there is likely to be a strong correlation between a country's ability to sustainably/consistently produce a wide variety of foods and the quality of life of its inhabitants, plus its attractiveness for investment. Keeping as big a surplus as possible is a good strategy.

You seem to be focusing on population growth. Population growth isn’t linear and simply cannot be sustained indefinitely. Growth could slow down and level off over the next decade. There are other issues relating to climate change and reduced biodiversity which are already baked in and will be with us for much longer. Then there are advances in technology and AI, proximity to Dublin might be a much smaller concern in the future.

And developing out towns like Drogheda to accommodate additional people largely within their existing footprint makes perfect sense. It is far more sustainable than building tens of thousands of apartments on farmland. There is nothing hypocritical in me stating that, it is entirely in line with what I have been saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

New dormitory towns?

I got a bus this morning between the city centre and Inchicore via Old kilmainham and emmet Road, 2kms of near total dereliction, old warehouses or underutilised with late 20th century rotten houses. Then a quick look at the Irish rail works in inchicore. At least 10 massive warehouse type structures with no roofs and weeds coming out of them and very little activity on site. Then you get to kylemore way, a 4km road just derelict.

go to the area east of Stephens Green, Georgian houses unsuitably used as small offices while modern office blocks lie empty, this area and building stock is much more suitable for residential, the area is completely dead after dark.

A few kms up the road just north of clontarf Road DART Station (one stop away from Connolly) we have Clontarf GOLF COURSE.

West of that just off griffith avenue we have a literal farm at elmhurst, literally with agricultural buildings

These are just a few examples of how we could quite comfortably fit irelands entire population within the m50 with ample parkland and green space remaining, not that we ought to have that but theres quite clearly more than enough room for about 1.5m to live within the M50

Advertisement