Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

organic farming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭893bet

While that doesn’t surprise me it’s a mis-interpretation of the regulations that you see respeated over and over on the like of Agriland, teagasc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

All depends who inspects and how strict they are ie the large suckler cow points. Also the below is news to me wonder if anyone had an issue answers the bulls bit above too in a way ie all male cattle need open air area.

"3.14.05 (848.II.II.1.9.1.1c) Notwithstanding paragraph 3.04.10 male bovine animals over one year old shall have access to pasturage or an open air area."

Also all cows need and exercise area? A rule brought in in 2020 (2020/464.I.I.1) see the Rules 893 posted and below the 2020 EU REgulation. Way I read them the rules require a 900kg cow to have 16m2 in shed space if exercise area taken as being in the shed. 1m2 per 100kg and an exercise area at 0.75m2 per 100 kg.

It that is right ends alot of lads in sucklers and organics.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32020R0464&rid=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Silverdream

When applying for organics you have to submit a farmyard plan. This plan has to show solid bedded areas vs slatted areas. At one stage slats were a complete no no in organics. Its why there is grants to replace the slats with solid slabs, but in fairness I can't see anyone doing that just to make themselves eligible for organics. The lads going into organics in the past were often lads with little to no housing to begin with. Usually no slatted house but maybe a cubical house and hayshed instead

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manjou

I replaced slats with solid slabs because it was cheaper than building a shed 60% grant for doing it .kept slats so can put back in if I wanted to. Used to be able to bed the slats but can't now due to safety reasons os slats giving way when cleaning out and some one someone ending up in tank of slurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Price of straw has gone nuts. €100 for a 8X4X3 square bale in Ennis this morning. All rounds sold out at €50, most of it was well weathered wheaten straw. No Barley straw to be got for any money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I had tractor slats installed 5 years ago....are they ok to bed...no problem driving on them?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭tanko

No. It used to be ok to put a skim of concrete on slats and bed them but not any more.

Anyone any idea when Payment will be issued?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭n1st

Does Organic Farming warrant it's on sub category here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think it’s fine the way it is. It’s nearly always on the front page. Just my 2 cents.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Of course we deserve our own page, because we're worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭endainoz

I guess it would depend on how many join it this time round. Might be more activity on here then.

Be a quiet forum. Would be better if there were a few threads as answers get buried in the main thread a little I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Diarmuid B

where do people pick up organic meal for cattle, if ye are feeding any. €22 here in the co op for bags and I’m sick of them, was hoping to get a 1/2 tonne which might work out cheaper but can’t find anywhere online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭bonaparte2

Co op

Irish Organic Feeds, 0876158547, based in Cork TMK. Have'nt used any up till now.

Many of the innovations on pasture management etc, begin life in the organic/regenerative/biological sector. Good place to keep an eye on such, even if you don't farm with these methods, specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

The min for loose is 800kg ie one bag and most lads it is one tonne. Depends what bags they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Would be interested in going organic but the thought of not being able to do a bit of wiping and spot spraying would wreck my head,

It's not for everyone, all about what suits the system.

• Advertisement

Might be a dear itch you have. Weeds perform differently in organic soils, eg docks and nettles will be reduced as the soil fertility reduces. Docks that don't get inorganic N are not bitter and cattle will eat them. Go and visit a few organic farms walks next year and see could you live with the vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Don't have cattle only sheep, zero slurry zero fertilizer, don't take silage, don't spray, zero docks just the soft rush, and those big flat thistles, if I could just spot spray with the knapsack I would be set, I'm not even bothered with the dog rush just hit them in September with the flail on the quad and sheep trim new shoots over the winter, maybe they will allow a certain chemical that will knock the rush back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Thinking of going organic here - possibly applying next year or the year after. Have around 15 suckler cows on 60 acres - mixed land. Big stumbling block at the moment is I've no slatted house so I'd need to invest in a 2 or 3 bay one next year - should be able to work it around an existing hay barn/small shed to allow for the lie back area required there.

For silage though would anyone have a rough idea how many less bales you'd get per acre with no fertilizer and just slurry and would there be much of a longer time needed to have the silage fields closed? For example, I reseeded 6 acres this year so, with fertilizer I'd expect 10 to 12 bales per acre off it next year but if I was in organics roughly what should I expect off it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Could you put couple of acres into red clover and just use that for silage and don’t graze it, be surprised what get off it

Maybe it will but there’s no guarantee that the OFS will be open every year in the future in its current form.

You’ll get 6-7 bales per acre if you can get plenty of slurry out but you’ll have to leave it about a month longer growing imo.

I've no choice really but to wait as I've no shed so I'd have no slurry to spread the following year and I'd be goosed then as I couldn't put out fertilizer either.

Fair enough. Another option would be to cut numbers and out winter cattle but this depends on land type etc.

Also you can take in cattle slurry from neighboring farms which could help.

If you have loose housing and straw, you would be better off. Well rotted manure is magic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Drilling in oats with red clover is an option too in the sod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

Slurry from an organic fed animal is not going to be the magic stuff that you may think it would be. What goes into the cow is what you get out. The power in slurry comes from meal feeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Packrat

I hear this being said a lot by non-organic farmers.

Care to explain your theory as to why that might be?

I put out a tank of slurry (from an organic cattle farm) last May that had €4000 worth of ration gone into it...

It sure grew my organic silage..

My own cows don't get meal..

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

With manure, you're using humus and increasing soil biological activity. It's not largely about the N, P and K in it. Whole different way of thinking. I don't overvalue slurry from any source, fairly dead material. Interestingly, spreading watery slurry, esp on grassland is becoming popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Packrat

I watered up that slurry to make enough out of it, and caught the last day of rain before the drought we got in May until June 5th or so. If I hadn't, it would have been in the silage as a dried out crust.

Watery slurry goes down quicker and gets to work rather than sitting on top losing nutrients to the air.

This all assumes you're spreading lightly and only once or twice a year, not laying down worm killing quantities.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

The jist is that cattle don’t make P & K. It’s generally recycled through the animal. High nutrient value feed in equals high nutrient value slurry and the opposite is the case too.

There is merit in what @Water John is saying. I’m beginning to see things through that prism myself. I.e get the bugs and life in the soil working to produce nutrients for the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gavin Tully

Combo crop rolled and in a ton bag delivered any where in the country 730 euro.

Collected 650 ton.

Gavin

Post edited by blue5000 on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks Gavin, but we don't allow ads and phone numbers here, a PM is ok though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manjou

Anyone get organic payment yet mine not showing up on agfood yet. The way payments going this year starting to get paranoid.

• Advertisement

Nothing showing here either

Showing now

Nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Does anybody know when people that applied to join the organic farming scheme this time will be informed if they are accepted into the scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Maybe it’ll be the middle of February in 2024 also, who knows.

Would make sense, thty do want to get the conversion process going quickly to fill the targets they set for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 farmer24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am getting interested in going organic .I dont use a whole pile of doses as it is and let that side of things takes care of it self.I would have 40 acres rented ,to get organics grant what sort of a lease would I need for this would the simple IFA lease cover me .Where is the best place for guidelines to transition to organic farming.

My plan would be calf sucker cows to grass (march) .Is aax the most suitable cow .

What number of cows/calves on 40 goodish acres without niter ,would 15-18 cows be about the go

• Advertisement
Advertisement