Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's zero commercial flights over Ukrainian airspace. Common knowledge since Russia invaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

I agree. Why then did you post nonsense about Ryanair flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Honestly that reflects my sentiments.

I'm not experienced in war or combat in any way bar an interest in military history. I just finished reading The Old Breed and active combat sounds horrific and inhumane.

Far be it from me to tell to some Ukranian refugee to go home and "do their bit". I would be on the first flight out of here if I heard Micheál Martin on the radio looking for volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

Well, if Ireland gets attacked, then it's likely there are no safe places left. In that case, I'm staying to fight. As regards to Ukrainians, I don't think Ukraine faces a shortage of men to conscript. It is more likely a question of how many people can be trained, equipped and maintained day-to-day in the armed forces. You can recruit 100 thousand soldiers, but this means another, say, 200 thousand support personnel, plus cars, ammo, weapons, food that need to be supplied and maintained. Unless you can use these soldiers soon, it is a very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Since you are too lazy to provide any evidence to support your anti Ukrainian refugee views I wont be following any instructions from you and think it appropriate to post a link to balance all of the horses**t about cowardly Ukrainians with a story of one who returned from Finland at the start of the all out invasion by putin's forces last year to defend his homeland from moskovyte imperialism:

Post edited by macraignil on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Field east

I am aware of one situation where a father told his son to go to Ireland with his partner and only child - a son - and that he will ‘represent ‘ the family on the front line. He did not want his only grandson - having no grand daughter also - killed. I thought that that was a solid reason for what the family did. I am sure that there were other similar ‘ arrangements’ as to why men of military age came to Ireland.

I am aLao aware of another man of military age with a mild mental condition and he would have been ‘useless’ in the army. He will have a lot to contribute when there is ‘ pease ‘ restored with the skills he has.

If true then I see that as a Very positive development. It indicates their strong attachment to their homeland, support their men/ womenfolk on the front lines and elsewhere, meet relatives who stayed and offer support, bring needed supplies, etc, etc, etc, etc.

so the development h outdoor not be ridiculed or ‘sneezed at’.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Which would be a better holiday destination atm.

Ukraine or Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Is this along the same lines that Russian Women should give their menfolk a boot up the arse and get rid of Putin? Only someone who has never been within a hundred miles or more of a war zone would write stuff like this, an armchair warrior for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

The front-line soldiers and the ones in support are only the tip of the iceberg, and an iceberg is said to be 9/10ths submerged. So, it's a pretty apt description. And when you hear posters joking about the 40 and older Ukrainian soldiers, they are not saying what the 40–50-year-olds are doing. In Syria I met men and women well in their 50's manning checkpoints and doing a good job of it too, freeing up younger fighting age men for front line dutys.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

I've been following this thread since the day the war started, at the beginning I thought that Ukraine would be left hanging, as the war dragged on and equipement started to be delivered and training with Int'l partners started I grew optimistic.

I think a massive opportunity was missed by the US and, imo, the EU to equip Ukraine with the equipment and ammunition neccessary to prosecute the war.

However as things have changed, in both the EU and the US over the last few weeks, and maybe I'm being cynical, but I think that indeed Ukraine will be left to hang out to dry.

Obviously the public aren't privvy to inteligence briefs and what is happening behind the scenes.... but all of the delays in supplying the neccessary equipement, some of which was eventually given after much handringing, seems to be coming back to bite Ukraine.

If Russia, and Putin, are allowed to achieve any sort of victory here it will only embolden Putin and other actors that eventually The West will give up support for any country they see fit to invade.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

USA is locked on to weakening russia and they aren't gonna waste this opportunity by getting soft. Ukraine will be bled dry as long as russia is too. That said they are 100% certain of victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭vixdname

As a long time subscriber to this thread, and with a heavy heart, I too am inclined to agree.

I have always in the passed, do now and will continue to hope that Ukraine some how manages to boot the scum that is Russia from its sovereign land but I'm having serious doubts.

I think the collective West, irrespective of all its "We're with Ukraine to the very end" , its standing ovations for Zelensky in its various houses of power, its robust handshakes at meet and greets in front of the cameras and its many many promises.. we all have to get used to the idea that its very unlikely now that Ukraine will ever get back all of the land Russia stole from it since the invasion.

There will be no major breakthroughs, the current counter offensive has unfortunately floundered and Ukraine military chiefs are openly exclaiming that the war is at a stalemate, the political will and landscapes are just not what they were this time last year either.

There are fractures appearing in places where strong bonds seemed to exist before, such as the relationship between Ukraine and Poland, their politicians are not as pally pally as they once were, trucker protests continue and even internally, once what seemed like strong bonds are publicly under strain such as Klitschko proclaiming Zelensky is "Paying for mistakes he has made" and  Zelensky is allegedly "bypassing" Commander-in-Chief Valerii Zaluzhnyi in communication with some military commanders, complicating the latter's ability to fully command Ukraine's Armed Forces.

Some countries are also no longer willing to handover the military aid Ukraine needs, major players (US) are on the cusp of stopping military and financial aid to Ukraine due to their own political bickering and one-upmanship.

Lets face it, Ukraine was drip fed military equipment that was second rate in comparison to the modern NATO \ EU systems enjoyed by their members militaries, they were given just enough to stave off the aggressors and in some places push them back, but not anywhere near in the quantities required to fully drive the marauding hoard back from where they came.

If it comes to pass that the whisperings that are supposedly getting louder in political circles in both the EU and US are true whereby they are looking to start putting pressure on Kyiv to go to the negotiating table, then its inevitable that Putin will be rubbing his hands together and quite rightly exclaiming that he was right, the West did fold in the end, he will have gotten his pound of flesh and all the 10s of 1000s of Russian lives it cost to get that pound of flesh will have been worth it.

The Russian people will look upon the West as weak and that their dear leader was right all along, and in my opinion, if all this comes to pass, its a characterization the west will fully deserve.

It will embolden not just him, but others too looking on from the shadows and the door will be open for more leaders with imperialistic tendencies to come to the fore at various locations around the globe.

My fear is that, right now, it is just Ukraine that will deal with the brunt of what Russia has to offer at the negotiating table but give it a few years and Russia learns from its many mistakes in this escapade, I wont be surprised if we see an emboldened Russia once again move westwards and try encroach into a NATO member state and call NATOs bluff, after all, NATO done very little this time round, what's to make him think it would be any different next time round ?

I so hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Still aLong way from there to Donetsk - including crossing the actual front line .

Donetsk airport has been under fire , and actively fought over since 2014,

I'd wionder will last weeks resumed mass missile strikes on kiev change people view on a quick return visit to Ukraine..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Thats true -

also at one point the number one profession/ group being actively conscripted / drafted (i forget the difference) was accountants,

There is a massive military need also for trades and professions, and Ukraine are currently trying to match skills to needs at recruitment / conscription - ie you agree to join as an electrician or a mechanic

I assume with a large bureaucracy know for corruption prewar , actively in an all out war, and with limited I.T. -because war- the fear is that fick ups or changes to those policies could happen in a heart beat ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My bet is this ends with a divided Ukraine, Russia keeps what they have and maybe add Odessa to it, from the West's point of view West Ukraine is still a buffer. In the long term Russia has a demographic problem and from a resource point of view it has everything it needs plus it will need a decade to rebuild all the towns and cities leveled in this conflict.

The main loser here is the EU, they got played by the US and the ironic thing is, a very likely outcome is that in 20 or 30 years the US and Russia end up being allies while Europe becomes an unreliable one.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Poster has form here, odessa isn't in play for anyone other than putin fantasists. The question is whether they really believe what they are saying and how far down the rabbit hole they are or if it's just an attempt to wind others up and get a reaction like those listed in post 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

putin fantasist is a good description of the author of posts such as this. The front lines in that area have been going in Ukraine's favour recently with landing points of the armed forces of Ukraine remaining on the east bank of the Dnipro in spite of the efforts of putin's forces to take back the positions they have been pushed out of. If the moskovytes can't even hold their positions in that part of the front line it takes a big leap of the imagination to think they can go on the offensive there and take over a hundred kilometers of territory on the west side of the Dnipro with a navy that has been sent into hiding by the armed forces of Ukraine.

Hearing this Ukraine must negotiate giving up territory to putin tripe repeated again and again to me sounds like proof the putin fantasists know that putin can't win anything militarily now that he has done so much damage to his armed forces. NATO, EU and other countries have committed to long term support for Ukraine and any talk of a stalled summer offensive from last year is simply accepting that some were too optimistic about the chances of success of some sort of blitzkrieg offensive by Ukraine in ridding their country of putin's troops. I think those in government in Ukraine know it will take time to destroy putin' military machine in Ukriane and only the putin fantasists think that time is on putin's side. Their military losses just to stay in Ukraine are simply not sustainable no mater how much they like to play on the russia big so russia must win card. Socioeconomically putin's power is being drained daily with each of his troops he expends on empire building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Paddigol

There was a time when, from from a humanity standpoint, you could understand the logic in encouraging Ukraine to negotiate a settlement. Huge numbers of civilians were being killed and injured every week, the energy infrastructure was on its knees, ability to defend against long distance missiles seemed negligible and Russia looked as though it had only halted its ground offensive because of the winter. But that's long gone. Now it's Russia whose navy has been neutered, hasn't advanced anywhere of any significance in - what, over a year? , is seeing its air defence systems targeted with precision, is suffering massive numbers of casualties in nonsensical attempts to take tiny villages/ towns, is stuck in a foreign country like a sitting duck, having to maintain extensive supply chains.

I don't see why anyone would suggest Ukraine has to negotiate now. Unless there is something going on behind the scenes that none of us are privy to which is pushing the narrative in the media the last week or two of 'problems for Ukraine'. If the US are deciding to scale back financial/ military support and the EU is seeing more member states slide towards right wing governments, then maybe there is a source of discomfort there. But unless Russia is getting massive backhanders from China, surely it's Putin who must be feeling the noose tighten with every passing month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

It seems to me that Ukraine can win this war by attrition. Grind Russia down in terms of troops, equipment and the economy at home. Keep blasting them from a distance and have patience.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'd be wary of what Putin would turn to if it became clear that the tide of war on the ground had turned. Russia seem to be the masters of the dark arts. All they need is to isolate Ukraine from the EU (foment right wing sentiment here, encourage more Orbans into power, whip up anti-foreigner/ anti-establishment rhetoric) and the US (whip up hysteria about the middle east, muslims, china etc). Putin won't go quietly with his tail between his legs that's for sure.

Post edited by Paddigol on

I think a large number will travel to ukraine over the next 4 weeks they are better prepared for attacks than previous years,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement