Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

But the difference was that in Mosul, people had escape routes, they could and did leave, and I remember them arriving in Damascus. Palestinians do not have that option, because in previous wars etc., when the surrounding Countries took in hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, this act of kindness was repaid by the Palestinians trying to usurp the very Governments that had taken them in. So now, the attitude from the surrounding states is "We will help you with aid, cash, medicine, propaganda, we will organize protests worldwide in your support. No problem. But allow you across our borders??? Sorry, but No Thanks. But if on the outside chance, some Country would accept them, how many Palestinians would now be left in Gaza? Even more interesting question, how many Hamas would now be in Gaza without their human shields to protect them, and with the IDF not having to worry about collateral damage (so to speak) how much of Gaza would be left standing? Would there even be the proverbial stone upon a stone left? And for sure, the mysteries of the tunnels would be revealed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My post was about the rapes that took place and people denying that they happened. How does rape denial have anything to do with supporting Gaza? Are you trying to conflate the two? That would be weird.

Your post is completely unrelated to mine so not sure why you quoted me. I didnt say anything remotely like "supporting Gaza equals supporting hamas" so not sure why you brought it up in response to a post about rapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I know its not fashionable to give Donald Trump any praise, but one good thing he did was ignore that war junkie. If Bolton had his way America would have gone to war with Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So genocide, but of the 'its for your own good' kind.

• Advertisement

No question.

From Bolton:

America has “misread” Iran’s involvement in the Israel-Gaza war and does not understand the danger the regime poses to the Middle East, a former US national security adviser has said.

Link

I'd take his word on what is good for the areas as much as I would listen to Daniel Kinahan talking about the benefits of inner city boxing clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

John Bolton, is a war monger. He is totally irrelevant in todays world, why anyone would listen to this idiot I do not know.

It aches him that he is no longer in a position of authority (THANK GOD)

Take anything this man says with a grain of valium.

Oh if I could get a shears/trimmer and cut that rat off his face.

If he gets involved in anything to do with Israel/Palestine it will lead to war with other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

"Power targets" - understand what this means and you'll understand where this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Myopic thinking there - "one big difference between...".

Israelis don't mass rape, but you're good with Israelis who burn Palestinian children alive in their homes in the West Bank?

And no, it was Hamas that carried out those appalling atrocities - not "Palestinians". Hamas also killed Palestinians in the Kibbutzim on 7th October.

Sick war - agreed. War always was, always will be.

For the people justifying the butchering of tens of thousands and the displacement of millions because of the crime of rape.

• Advertisement

There are reports that senior hamas leader Nizar Awadallah has been killed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I seem to recall them having a big party for the dozen or so Israelis who gang raped that British girl in Cyprus back a few years ago. She was forced to retract her statement, they were released and as soon as they got back videoed themselves on social media calling her a British slut and whore etc.

This is from an Israeli Rabbi.

(Bold mine)

The rabbi gave a more shocking answer on the same site when asked if soldiers were permitted to rape women during war. Karim replied that, as part of maintaining fitness for the army and the soldiers' morale during fighting, it is permitted to "breach" the walls of modesty and "satisfy the evil inclination by lying with attractive Gentile women against their will, out of consideration for the difficulties faced by the soldiers and for overall success." 

Link

Is this going to be like the 'From the River to the Sea' phrase and when Palestinians use it it is deemed horrific antisemitism by Zionists who say it is calling for the end of Israel but when Israel uses it, it doesn't even bear mentioning by the same people.

Did you not hear that Israel are making great efforts to make sure that the Combatant:Civilian death ratio is as high as possible so that the number of dead civilians is kept to an absolute minimum .................. by categorizing all the dead toddlers as enemy combatants.

Richard Boyd Barrett now wants an 'intifada' against Israel. Is he not actually inciting violence against the Israeli state? Since he mentioned South Africa, Vietnam and Algeria, I can't think what else it would mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,753 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Agree to a point except for the fact that it doesn't seem to be the maniacs who are dying. The amount of women and children would suggest that both sides have maniacs. 40% of the homes in Gaza destroyed and 6,000 children and 4.000 women blown apart with many missing under the rubble. Hamas are murdering **** and need to go but the way things are happening in Gaza everyone is in danger of death.

I'd be uncomfortable with this even as a concept given what Israel has been doing (and not just since Oct 7th).

But the detail is disturbing, particularly the line highlighted below.

In a country that supposedly demands free speech above all else, this is Orwellian.

What other country can play the religious victim card to absolve its genocidal acts?

Rashida Tlaib must feel very lonely, if not at risk, in such an environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Considering that Israel is the worlds only Jewish state, and that it houses a plurality of the worlds Jewish people, and that they're surrounded by people who want to drive the Jews into the sea ... yes, Anti-Zionism is at least a fellow traveller of Anti-Semitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Some would beg to differ

"Jewish Voice for Peace is guided by a vision of justice, equality and freedom for all people. We unequivocally oppose Zionism because it is counter to those ideals."

https://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/resource/zionism/

We know why people of the Jewish religion were deemed worthy of having their own dedicated state. That was a consideration that should never have happened, Jews should have been welcomed, and made to feel welcome in all countries after WW2. Their actions since the foundation of the state have shown the mistake it was to grant them a country through taking land from other people.

And here we are, we've seen it everywhere, the media, the UN, the Whitehouse, the EU and so on and so on, their actions in carrying out a genocide cannot be criticised for what they are because of this magic card that they have manipulated so that they are absolved of criticism.

This will ultimately harm jewish people when the conflict in Gaza is no longer front page news and someone puts a microphone in front of Kanye West again or Elon Musk forgets what he promised Nethanyahu last week and tweets candidly once again. The next time there are tiki torch marches in Charlottsville, this will be a stick used to beat Jewish people with. Except it will be some guy who is a teacher in Brooklyn or a guy going to a gym in texas who will feel it first. Not those who want to obliterate the people of Gaza as fervently as Nazi's wanted to remove Jews from Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There are prominent former Zionists who say they now believe they were radicalised into holding dangerous and extreme opinions by little more than a death cult. One of the main points they make is that they had completely bought into the idea of Israel being a hapless victim fighting for its very survival (a central part of Zionist ideology) but now realise it was the oppressor and aggressor, certainly for the last 30-40 years.

Witness how many of Israel's defenders sound on social media. Many of them sound like deranged and bloodthirsty psychopaths, certainly not like 'victims' who have been oppressed or people fighting for justice and equality.

Or a guy who owns a restaurant in Philadelphia?

Except it's not white supremacists targeting his restaurant is it? I'd imagine this mob would call themselves "anti zionist" and not "anti semitic" but their actions show otherwise. Having said that, no I don't think anti Zionism should be illegal, but you'd have to be extremely naive not to realize that a lot of people who hate Jews are hiding behind that label. Targeting Jewish owned businesses like this is reminiscent of 1930s Germany fgs

"We know why people of the Jewish religion were deemed worthy of having their own dedicated state. That was a consideration that should never have happened, Jews should have been welcomed, and made to feel welcome in all countries after WW2. Their actions since the foundation of the state have shown the mistake it was to grant them a country through taking land from other people."

So being Jewish can only be expressed in terms of religion and not ethnicity? As a consequence, is this the reason they shouldn't have got a state of their own?

Should travelers be given a state of their own?

Native American Indians?

Inuits?

Aborigines?

If the answer is no, why then should those of the Jewish ethnicity?

All that aside, substitute the word 'religion' with the word 'ethnicity' from the part of my post you quoted and the point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The Israeli spokespersons would sicken ya listening to them telling the world how thoughtful they are to Gazan residents

Why should e.g. American Jews be more entitled to an additional "state of their own" as compared to Irish Americans?

Why don't we allow tens of thousands of Yanks with vague family memories and stories of great-great-great-great-great grandparents escaping the famine to come here and settle and seize property owned by immigrants who are only here 25 years?

There could be a Yank with Jewish and Irish ancestry. If you are happy for him to leave NY to go and seize a house and land in the West Bank which has been freshly dispossessed from the Palestinian family who owned it for countless generations, why can't he come to Blanchardstown and seize a foreigners house instead? Why do you consider him entitled to do one and not the other? Suppose the house in Blanchardstown is owned by a Palestinian - does that change your answer?

No, the western media letting them is what is really sickening.

I'd love if Vincent Browne got 6 minutes on camera with Yariv Levin or Tzipi Hotovely

"Should travelers be given a state of their own? Native American Indians? Inuits? Aborigines?

If the answer is no, why then should those of the Jewish ethnicity?"

All you've done here is arbitrarily decide who should and shouldn't get a state, so I'm not seeing a relevant point here as regards Jews being an ethnic group.

"All that aside, substitute the word 'religion' with the word 'ethnicity' from the part of my post you quoted and the point still stands."

No it doesn't. Religion and ethnicity aren't that easily interchangable as you are trying to claim.

Would you have had the same opinion of the Dunnes Stores workers who refused to handle South African goods as a protest against its policies back in the 80's?

They must have just been racists who hated South Africans?

• Advertisement

And people on here cheerlead this.

Advertisement