Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

So you want to scrap the nation state then? That's all I can derive from your rather rambling post......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Well if you weren't saying why having nation states is not a good idea, I haven't a clue what point you were trying to make...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What does a random Jewish restaurant owner in the US have to do with the actions of the Israeli government exactly ? How does screaming abuse through a window thousands of miles away have any impact on their policies?

So Israel should be "taken away" from the Jews then, in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Cool, a Strawman.

Haven't seen one of those in about 6 minutes.

Nobody is suggesting that. They should behave in an acceptable manner to their neighbors, they should refrain from all illegal settlements, they should show interest in promoting a two state solution, they should stop asking like a spoiled kid at the UN and they should immediately call a full and unconditional ceasefire.

A - You didn't answer my question.

B - You misunderstand the point. Read my original post with the word ethnicity in place of the word religion and consider it as its own original statement. I'm not saying they are the same thing, I'm saying you suggested that that word would have made me change my thoughts around my post. It doesn't.

Well if not then what was the point of going on about how Jews shouldn't have been given their own state? They were, it happened and they are there now so you'll just have to accept it I guess.

I edited my last post to include the following.

No one is suggesting that Israel is disbanded (or abandoned). They should behave in an acceptable manner to their neighbors, they should refrain from all illegal settlements, they should show interest in promoting a two state solution, they should stop acting like a spoiled kid at the UN and they should immediately call a full and unconditional ceasefire.

Just because this is the case now, it doesn't mean it was appropriate to found the state as was done or that that fact can't be pointed out. When so much of what Israel claims is on a God given right to the area, they are in no place to tell people to stop expressing their views about its origin.

Post edited by Tell me how on

Answer to A

Answer to A: There’s nothing to answer as I’m not following you down the rabbit hole of who should or shouldn’t have a state. That would be an exercise in time wasting.

B:

“We know why people of the Jewish religion were deemed worthy of having their own dedicated state. That was a consideration that should never have happened, Jews should have been welcomed, and made to feel welcome in all countries after WW2. Their actions since the foundation of the state have shown the mistake it was to grant them a country through taking land from other people.”

Under the IHRA guidelines this could be construed as antisemitism IMO.

From their site: “Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination”

?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Set Adrift

I don't think taking Israel away from the Jews is wanted by many. What's done is done. What the real problem is, is illegal Israeli expansion beyond their state boundaries since 1967, especially.

Hamas are a huge problem. Their brutality is frightening. It's terribly sad that in 2023 humans on both sides are acting out on their most base instincts. I'm not naive, and long enough in the world to know what humans are capable of. But such naked, vile hatred does no one any good. And the innocent suffer. And even online nothing but anger and hatred, from the Middle East to the Dublin riots.

For all its imperfections huge kudos to those who brought peace to our island. In 1993 after Oslo, it looked like real progress was happening between Israel and Palestine. We all have sons, daughters, grandchildren. And when you stop and think for a minute of them being in this 2023 conflict. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

And irony of ironies all this is taking place in the 'Holy Land' and most of us here, up to 40 years ago, followed the teachings (mostly very good ones) of a Jew called Jesus, and are heading into silly season to celebrate his birthday. Sometimes it's not worth stopping to think because everything is so incongruous.

So you ask a question about the reasoning behind Israel being granted a state, and you imply it was warranted for ethnic reasons, but when I ask if you feel other ethnicities should therefore be justified in asking for a state, it's a rabbit hole? OK, your dancing around the question is an answer enough.

And given your quote from the IHRA suggesting their right to self determination based on their Jewish ethnicity, then it is again valid to ask do other ethnicities not deserve the same right?

So either consider the ethnicity argument in its entirety or admit you feel Jewish people are deserving of preferential treatment above and beyond that granted to other ethnic groups.

(All this aside, I'm not going to doff the cap to the opinion of the IHRA given their lack of consideration for the suffering of the Palestinians in their recent announcements and the blocking of accounts challenging them on this fact on Twitter)

What do you think they would say the phrase 'Never again truly meant given you are expressing how they would think kn my comments? Did it only refer to the persecution of Jewish people, because it sure looks that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

yeah that's bollox. A 4 year old would know that being against Zionism doesn't mean you hate jews. Fuk even the sh1tebags that do say anti-zionism is antisemitism know its bollox as well but use it as a way to shut down talk of israeli war cirmes and their history of war crimes since the foundation of their state.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The fash have held several BDS protests in England outside Mark and Sparks, it having been founded by a Jew a century and a half ago.

I wonder how long do they view before that "taint" washes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Probably never. Any association with judaism is enough for these people.

Meanwhile, a couple of London bus drivers have allegedly been refusing to let Jewish kids on. That'll show Israel. Totally not anti semitic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The point they were making is that you can't just rock on up to somewhere, claim your ancestors were from there, take a house from the locals and declare your own state.

If a feck load of Irish americans came back, took half the country and then set up outposts in the rest of the country, we'd recognize it's wrong. But when jewish people did it in Israel, it was considered ok. The jewish population of palestine 100 years ago was minuscule.

Yet a load of european and american jewish people managed to turn up there, kick out the british, then kick out arabs and declare a state. Then they managed to take even more land. And they're still doing it to this day. New settlements spring up all the time. It's western colonialism. And the best excuses then can make is that it's the ancestral homeland of the jewish people, or the jewish people deserve a homeland or palestine never existed as a country. None of which justify the mass displacement of the indigenous population.

Here's the thing though, if we had a time machine then the best option might be to go back to 1948 and make some changes so that we're not in the mess we are in now. But we obviously can't. Israel exists. It's populated by millions of people. They have a right to defend themselves. But so too do the Palestinians. I am disgusted by the actions of hamas. hamas are scum. But I can also fully understand the desire to fight back. And although I'm a pacifist, I do wonder how long my ideals would hold if I was a Palestinian and if I had to live under occupation by a foreign power who's inhabitants claim a right to my home because 2000 years ago someone from their ethnic group might have lived in the same rough area.

btw, Antisemitism, besides being wrong on every level is just stupid. It's been around for centuries and there's always some stupid conspiracy or religious reason for it. Jewish people run everything. Jewish people sacrafice babies. Jewish people were boogiemen for european racists for centuries. This peaked with the holocaust when millions were killed because of stupid conspiracies backed up by junk science.

Anti semitism, is just plain wrong. Same with Islamaphobia. Hating on someone because of what they are, instead of the person they are is just wrong. It's wrong to hate muslims, but it's ok to hate the members of Hamas/ISIS/etc.

Likewise it's wrong to hate jewish people just for being jewish, But it's ok to hate subsections who cause pain and suffering to other groups. I am disgusted by the settlers who move into an area and harass the local population. But I'm not disgusted by someone just because they're jewish or israeli.

I'm also disgusted by sections of the US christian religious right who believe that when israel contains all the lands that were jewish 2000 years ago, it will cause the rapture.

If you're going to hate someone, it had better be because they have done, or they supported, some disgusting action. Not because of the ethnic or religious group they are part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Field east

Noreen Reilly on Newstalk just now about DCC flying the Palestine flag over City Hall. Will the Council decide to fly the Ukr flag at its next meeting . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

if the anti-zionists are being honest, they'd switch to "Anti Israeli Government Policy," as Zionism isn't the reason there's a war in Gaza today.

And, Anti-Zionism is being used by vast swaths of people to hide their antisemitism, and to get away with propagating antisemitic tropes (remember the lad here with the dual citizenship stuff?)

https://www.adl.org/resources/blog/anti-zionism-antisemitism-how-anti-zionist-language-left-and-right-vilifies-jews

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

"So you ask a question about the reasoning behind Israel being granted a state, and you imply it was warranted for ethnic reasons, but when I ask if you feel other ethnicities should therefore be justified in asking for a state, it's a rabbit hole? OK, your dancing around the question is an answer enough."

Why do you need to bring in other ethnicities when one wants to talk about Jewishness in terms of ethnicity? Would you do the same re the Spanish and the Italians etc?

"And given your quote from the IHRA suggesting their right to self determination based on their Jewish ethnicity, then it is again valid to ask do other ethnicities not deserve the same right?"

Again, why bring in other ethnicities? We could argue to the point where no one deserves a state.......

"So either consider the ethnicity argument in its entirety or admit you feel Jewish people are deserving of preferential treatment above and beyond that granted to other ethnic groups."

Would you argue out of existence Italy and Spain?

WHO told to move supplies somewhere else.

- Camille Paglia

There is no comparison between Italy and Spain and Israel. Zero.

You should consider why it is you are so reluctant to consider other ethnicities right to a country or other considerations when it is because of their ethnic identity and experience that many Zionists justify preferential treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dublin City Council completely out of touch.

Dublin people fed up of these now weekly marches on Saturday afternoons.

You say, would you argue out of existance spain and italy. How about if a group of people, descended from Romans 2000 years ago, decided to take over large parts of italy declare a country and then occupy the rest of Italy, keeping the population in submission, whilst calling Italians who want self rule terrorists. Surely, the actual italians, living in italy, have rights. And how does the right of another ethnic group trounce theirs?

Countries exist. Ethnic groups exist. Sometimes they are both the same as in Ireland. But not always. Ethnic groups have no entitlement to their own country, but especially when they are not from that place. People in any area have the right to safety, security representation and self determination. And as mentioned, the fact that Italy is majority populated with Italians, and Spain is majority populated with Spaniards.

Roma originated in northern India. They are an ethnic group. They are dispersed around Europe. They have been persecuted for centuries. I believe they were the second largest group killed in the Holocaust. Should they have a right to claim part of northern India?

And please don't reply with "well if they want to, they should try it", or "I'm not going to tell them what they should do, it's their decision". I hate when people do that. It's a cop out and dodges the question.

When one ethnic group moves to another area, displaces the indigenous people and claims the land of their own, we call that colonialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The City is on its knees since the riots.

The last thing it needs is a protest disrupting the whole place every Saturday.

Time for that to end. These protestors don't even spend any money in the city.

• Advertisement

If anything these protests bring people in to the city center.

What makes you think they don't spend money?

Dublin city has been on its knees for a long time, these protests aren't really making that worse.

Advertisement