Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I would definitely agree with you. In fairness in the last 20 minutes or so I thought Heary dropped deeper and won a fair bit of dirty ball. Commentators failed to notice this and didn't him much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Exactly. And the backs were standing off their opponents allowing them too much room. Na Fianna were full of running and great at catching the ball. They put serious pressure on O'Loughlins throughout the match, particularly so in the first half. O'Loughlins got tighter in the second half. Forwards aren't great and didn't work hard enough to make up for their shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It's probably easy say it now but I always thought loughlins were going to find a way and win that match. The goal rocked them alright but they responded well and fair play to them they deserve credit. Na fianna will definitely look back with regret but dublin club hurling is improving. I was at the leinster final last year and the shamrocks were very relieved to hear the final whistle. Theres no doubt o loughlins will need more up front but they've being getting the 20 points up to now. Seanie bolger should of buried that chance and if they're to have any chance they will need a few goals you would think.

A special mention for deegan who gets an awful time here by a few lads but he got the winner in the county final and gave an unbelievable display the other day. Always wears his heart on his sleeve. Yes he makes mistakes but he has filled holes for his club and county in the backs,midfield and fowards.He was one of our better players in the all Ireland. Hopefully with blanch and Carey fit he can be pushed up. Lads need to cop on a small bit here aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Good result last night regards the under age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

On the age grades the nature of the result, over 90% in favour shows the overwhelming support that it had, going by the result even the a lot of the county board officials would have voted in favour of the change. The other notable thing from last nights meeting was that Phil Hogan delivered his report and plan on corporate structures to help the county board increase sponsorship and help raise funds for development projects. In fairness it was a very in dept look at things and there seems to be big changes and structures being put in place to maximise the income they can earn. They have a fairly ambitious plan to bring in additional income of nearly €11m over the next 5-6 years. I won't go through everything but some of the standout things from points on it, the new jersey (out this week) will have additional sponsors on the back and the sleeve, Tirlan have agreed to allow the county board get new sponsors for the development squads with no change to their agreed level of sponsorship, a communications company in Dublin (can't remember the name) have agreed to take over the digital marketing free of charge for 5 years and it's hoped this could raise the best part of half a million a year with no cost, plans to digitalise Nowlan Park and put in new shops and merchandise shops to help increase revenue. The capital investment they are hoping to do over the coming years are 6 new pitches with floodlighting and fitness facilities to take the load off Nowlan Park/Dunmore included with some of these, at least one of these to be a full length astro pitch with floodlights, floodlights to be put in Nowlan park, there was more detail given and the report was sent out to clubs so if your interested in the full report talk to your club chairperson/secretary who will be able to forward you the report. I wouldn't be a fan of Phil Hogan's but in fairness he does look like he's put a massive effort into this and we should see the rewards soon enough, they expect to be able to announce 2/3 new sponsors by the end of January start of February also.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Do the go games now go U10 and U12 instead of U9 and U11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Great news overall between the fund raising and back to the even number at underage grades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

Sounds much more productive than the usual convention. Great to see it, and not least great to see a fair bit of ambition too for the medium term

Loving the idea of the 6 pitches with floodlights to take the load off Nowlan Park/Dunmore, although I'd like it see pushed out to 10 or 12, but it's a promising idea. If it comes to pass, will that be some of the club grounds, and will it be primarily for the likes of the U21 championships at this time of the year? You'd imagine that 2/3 weeks of adult games Friday/Saturday, U21 Wednesday under lights, adult on Sunday during the league phase of the county championships would greatly helpful at avoiding the U21 running out just before Christmas. And the floodlights in Nowlan Park is not before time. Looking forward to the first Saturday evening game there.

On the subject of lighting, would there be a market for a early season multiple county competition played on Friday nights?

Say, hypothetically if each club was to have their main pitch under lights could we have a full league competition during the first half of the season (obviously minus the county players). And would it be worth asking the Carlow/Laois clubs to come into it as well? Say if you got 8 senior clubs from Laois and 4 senior from Carlow. and split the league so it would be four groups of 3 Kilkenny/2 Laois/1 Carlow club per group in a tri-county league? And do the same for intermediate?

I know there would be some serious organisation involved, not to mention the cost of installing lighting and that, but if the infrastructure was in place would there be a market for it on a Friday night slot during the inter-county season?

I'm thinking of how many young lads come through the development squads, and how many don't make it to the county scene due to being late bloomers, would a competition like that help them develop? Not to mention giving club players more meaningful games throughout the year. A bit fantasy I know, but it'd be interesting to see would something like it work, even if it was Kilkenny only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Fair play to O Loughlins they kept their cool and deservedly won in the end but i agree with you that Dublin club hurling is getting stronger. Ye're own Charlie Carter was on Our Game yesterday and currently managing Lucan Sarsfields who are a coming team and only lost to Na Fianna in Dublin semi by four points. Lucan won the minor A this year and only lost the 21A final on penalties last weekend. I can see them winning Dublin in next few years.

Charlie was very impressed with the Dublin club scene and a man of his experience can only help things further. You have the big four southside clubs Cuala, Kilmacud, Ballyboden and Lucan and the current northside kingpins Na Fianna all in good shape which makes for a decent championship but the only drawback is there is a bit of a gap between these clubs and the rest but you could say the same for a lot of counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭kksaints

Isn't there already a Leinster leagues competition that runs in April and May at least? The final in 2022 was held before the Kilkenny v Wexford match in Nowlan Park. I remember the penalty shootout won it for the Kilkenny club can't remember which one.

Not entirely sure much demand there would be for a competition like you suggested and floodlights do cost money to run which would increase costs for clubs plus increased travel expenses also. However for the football championship which takes place at that time of year it could be useful.

In fairness this wasn't the county convention, that's on next Monday night, this was just the monthly county board meeting.

With relation to the new pitches/facilities some of these will be included with schools, with the new CBS development mentioned as a possible location but they also mentioned the possibility of buying land to develop these facilities. The increased revenue will be used to develop these facilities but also a lot of it will be put back into improving development squads with further resources being put into improving the development squads, one stat they gave out last night was that with the plans Michael Fennelly has put in place for the development squads the number of coaches involved for 2024 has increased from 24 to 59 (mightn't be the exact figures but in or around that).

All in all it looks like we are heading in the right direction with things, it won't be an overnight success and it'll take time for improvements to show but it does look like we are on the right road.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rega

Clara beat Borris-Kilcotton on penalties that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hogans heroes

Lucan are the buggest sporting organisation in sourh dublin but have under achieved for years.they dont have a senior title at any grade men or women.charlie would be the first if he could do it, kevin Fennelly is the camogie manager and has more chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Thanks a million for the update and finally a bit of ambition being shown. I would hope the 6 pitches would be spread around the county the city might need 2 but the other 4 should be located to try and make them as centrally available to teams from around the county. Ballyragget, Mullinavat, Callan and Goresbridge/Gowran might be good locations to give a good geographic spread. Anyway anything would be an improvement on the current situation. The fact that only one of these extra pitches would be astro is probably a downside I'd like at least 2 say Mullinvat and Kilkenny City would cover most clubs and teams. Glad to hear the number of coaches is rising as this has been a major deficiency in the county hopefully there's a good spread of clubs involved with the coaching.

Sorry when I said one pitch would be astro I meant at least one pitch I don't think they had limited it any number, I think they said the first step before deciding on the pitches/location/facilities would be too audit the current facilities across the county then take it from their with relation to deciding on location/facilities etc.. I'd imagine that if they are going to link up with Schools you'd imagine they might pick areas like Callan/Thomastown/Comer and then in the city also which would cover most of the clubs across the county, now they never mentioned any specifics of where that would be just me assuming locations. I'd also imagine that if people are looking to get involved with the county board on committees now would be a good time as they will most likely be looking for people to come on board different committees and you'd imagine they will be looking for people with specific experience or expertise.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was one of the big areas in Hogan's report was for Kilkenny to take the lead in integrating the Camogie association into the county board and the potential for additional goodwill and marketing involved with this. They also spoke about further linking up with SETU CArlow and Waterford and the potential benefits associated with this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah I got a copy of the slides from the club secretary and it's a good plan. If most of it can be realised it would be huge addition to the county. There are many things in it that many on here have been calling for, for years.

In no particular order,

Kilkenny GAA TV, proper underage structures/coaching/S&C, multiple sponsors on the jerseys and underage teams, improved facilities at Nowlan Park including shops etc. A Kilkenny GAA heritage museum/centre in the city somewhere(possibly Nowlan park), ambition and desire to engage and connect with the Kilkenny diaspora both in Ireland and abroad, creating a pool of committed big sponsors to come on board for 5 years, electronic signage in Nowlan park, a slicker more seamless online presence and presentation from Kilkenny GAA, strong coordination with head quarters and government to try and secure any funding out there. Plus all the above that NedFlanders02 has highlighted

There's lots more in it there just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Overall great to see the ambition €10.75m in 5 years is significant but I'd be hopeful it's doable with the right people in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Good news on age switch and on Phil Hogan but this terrifies me

And let's not kid ourselves that the likes of Dublin and Limerick's senior team spending wouldn’t dwarf the amounts above for Galway.

Small and medium sized counties cannot hope to compete with this ever-spiralling level of expenditure.

This is what happened with soccer 40 years ago when the small and medium sized clubs got priced out of contention.

If the GAA want to retain the inter county model, it must act to bring some level of equity between counties 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Will feile revert back to u14 now

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

That only changed to u15 to match age grades in club competitions. It was always u14.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

There are more counties playing hurling than Kilkenny you know! Feile is 100% staying U15

What counties along with Kilkenny and CORK are now back to u14, u16 and u18 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Feile changed to U15 due to Covid (as those eligible in 2020 did not get an opportunity to play that year), not because of the age grades in county club competitions. It's hard to see it changing back now as it would mean a cohort would miss the chance to play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Not sure really, the other member of the so called 'Big Three' have decided to keep it at uneven age groups but haven't really seen any coverage of it from other counties, it will be very interesting to examine it in a few years time and compare Tipp and Kilkenny and a) see if there is any noticable difference in fall off and b) if it in anyway effects the intercounty performances.

I know it will be a serious pain for a lot of border clubs who would have always crossed the county lines for challenge matches, will have to go elsewhere now.

Wexford could also be back to u18, as far as i know they were the county that first proposed u17

Wexford stuck with even ages over the last years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wexford reverted to u18 this year and Offaly are next year, Wexford and Offaly are decoupling u18 from adult so u18 don't play adult, Cork doing the same for higher adult grades but u18s can play some junior grades.

Advertisement