Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The good old "Brexit is a success because it wasn't as bad as people said". Not that Brexit was good just not as bad.

Then he goes on a rant about how bad the EU is because the US is out performing it but says not about the UK vs US.

Also is blatantly twisting things by saying the UK has no "nasty nationalism" because it hasn't had a new party emerge in parliament but he knows well it's a FPTP issue and the Tories are their disgusting nationalists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Poor form to just dump a link here with a snappy comment.

Basically this.

I always find comparisons by columnists between Brussels and Washington to be a bit disingenuous. Washington is the central government of the United States whereas the European Commission is not a governing body, but a regulatory one. Are these people advocating for a United States of Europe? I doubt it. It makes some sense to compare the two but throwing shade on the EU because the US is doing well is a poor argument.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Worth pointing out the likes of those who parrot out these tropes are often partitionists/neo unionists or British nationalists who prefer to not even recognise Irish independence.

Even, Britain discussing Irish sovereignty is absurd while they own part of the island and are the root cause of the “Troubles”.

Comparing Britain leaving the EU to the “independence” of any country they invaded or occupied is laughable - something only a gammon could come up with

Reminds me of British comedian John Oliver in 2016 :

“ — "First, Britain was already independent. In fact, it's what many other countries celebrate their independence from," Oliver said. “

Correct, and there is no acknowledgment in the amateur mainstream media about this.

Essentially, these people styling themselves as “Irish nationalists” and British nationalists.

They are six degrees away from the British army and loyalist terrorists, but as it does not involve Sinn Féin, RTÉ, IT, etc as usual, ignore it - instead they focus on “Irish were immigrants once sh1te” rather than call them out.

A Sinn Féin victory would be interesting if only to see how they deal with Rowan Croft et al, a Brit soldier claiming he and his squaddies knows what best for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I didn't realise going to private schools and/or elite universities was in itself proof of qualification for office!

But the privately educated are massively over-represented in Irish politics, and even more so in the UK's.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The only real qualification you need in the UK is the ability to impress the relevant committee of your local party.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

He mentions Nissan investing in their car plant but disingenuously fails to mention Honda closing theirs.

I do find a Brit pointing fingers at "aggressively rightwing politics" in the EU to be rather ironic.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It's essentially a well paid version of the clowns who used to come on here every few months waving an article about a single piece of investment and proclaiming how wrong we all were.

Really?

Yesterday:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/12/04/spicebag-welcome-to-the-new-ireland-warts-anger-and-all-the-choices-we-make-now-will-determine-our-future/

Ireland has also become a pet project for the British far right. Ireland has been graced with the presence of Tommy Robinson, celebrity hate-monger and founder of the English Defence League.

While many on the nationalist right are appalled by generally unionist right-wing “Brits“ sticking their noses in, the relationship does connect the Irish right to a sophisticated and continent-spanning network of networks, and all the tactics and support that brings with it.

Saturday:

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/12/02/building-for-a-long-time-how-the-global-far-right-jumped-on-dublins-anti-immigration-riots/

Last week’s events sent these discussions into overdrive and not just in the UK, where prominent far-right figures such as former British National Party president Nick Griffin and anti-Muslim provocateur Tommy Robinson have been regularly discussing the violence.

Last September:

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/09/21/who-are-the-oireachtas-protesters-and-what-were-they-protesting-against/

Some of those in attendance are veteran activists in the anti-immigration and conspiracy theory sphere. Rowan Croft, an ex-British soldier, who came to prominence spreading the Q Anon conspiracy theory through YouTube and attempting to tie it to Irish matters, was there after a long absence from the far-right scene.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

He's not wrong to say that it's not a disaster but that's a terribly low bar to set for pretty much anything. A well-paid columnist who arguably doesn't work all that hard is probably not well placed to say in any case.

True, but due to the fact they are constantly in the headlines and coupled with the absurdity of the whole thing, I still think it is quite minimal coverage.

Where is the prime time special, where is the Garda surveillance - they are subversives

Poppy seller/Royal British legionnaire Kenneth Geary of Santry - another combat wearing Walter Mitty

Wait how are they "constantly in the headlines" but "getting minimal coverage" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Elliott has been a Brexit supporter since forever. By his standards this column is pretty weak, and is notable for what it doesn't say rather than what it does.

His "Brexit is not a disaster" line is not offered as a defence or vindication of Brexit. His point is just that the UK won't be rejoining any time soon, because Brexit would have to be an utter disaster for that to happen. He's probably right; the British public don't want to revisit Brexit if they can possibly avoid it, and it would have to be a disaster before they would accept that they couldn't avoid it.

Secondly, he doesn't pretend that Brexit has achieved very much. In fact he complains that "Brexit opportunities" have yet to be exploited.

He then glides into how the US has performed much better than the EU. I think we're supposed to infer that the UK, having cut its ties with the EU, has the Brexit opportunity of emulating the US but he doesn't actually say that, and he certainly doesn't discuss what that would entail. He complains about the EU having a "one size fits all" single currency but this doesn't make a lot of sense; after all, the US also has a "one size fits all" single currency. He complains about the EU's "neoliberal ideas" about controls on budget deficits; has he not noticed the US's recent sovereign debt crises arising out of legislated caps on government borrowing?

It's all a bit odd. In terms of economic policy Elliott is generally a man of the left. I doubt that he would advocate the UK economy being organised and run on US-style lines, so what exactly does he advocate the UK should do with its Brexit freedoms? He doesn't say, and his references to the US as a comparator don't make a lot of sense.

Finally, he points to the rise of "narrow nationalism" in the EU, and claims that the UK has not witnessed this, which he attributes to Brexit. That's obvious nonsense; the rise of narrow nationalism in the UK, and the degree of influence it has secured at the highest level of government, is one of the most striking features of recent UK political history. Elliott is an economic correspondent rather than a political correspondent but, seriously, it's hard to believe that he hasn't noticed this.

All in all, this is a weak and unconvincing endorsement of Brexit. I'm not sure that Elliott's heart is in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I never said it was. I just said you would expect the make up of a legislature to be weighted more towards those with a 3rd level degree than the general population.

Obviously the UK (and apparently Ireland, I really don't know the figures) are extremely weighted towards certain schools and certain universities. This is not a good thing. I just think it needs to be put in context and a) not have people lying about 70% of MPs being Oxbridge educated and b) acknowledge that no matter what it will never reflect the general make up of the population.

3rd level education isn't the issue when discussing Westminster. Anyone can go to university.

The problem is how many of the cabinet and parliament went to the likes of Eton. A child these days actually has more ability to choose their gender than choose to go to one of these king maker secondary schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭flatty

When I ponder this, I always think how quickly Argentina for instance has moved in and out of default. If anything is potentially profitable, people have conveniently short memories.

I would be surprised if there is any significant move on the part of the UK in the next 20 years though. That is only four parliamentary terms.

Most likely would be a move towards a rubber stamp open visa (maybe).

I never argued differently.

Someone said 70% of MPs went to Oxbridge which is a mistake/lie.

It is up for debate what the number should be, but suggesting it should reflect the general population level is also misguided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭flatty

May I just say peregrinus, I enjoy your posts, and those of capailldorcha more than most anything else on the internet. They are concise, well informed, and beautifully written, and, well, that’s all really. Thank you for them.

The thing I struggle with is that there are things that a UK government could do to boost growth here. The obvious one would be to link up Oxford, Cambridge, & London via high-speed rail and build more garden cities. Of course, the EU never stood in the way of this but now that we're out, it's a bit of a surprise that so much political airtime has been devoted to the restoration of imperial units and other trivial things instead of real wins that could be achieved with planning reform and investment. We just had a decade of low interest rates where we could have used borrowing at close to zero cost to properly invest in growth. Instead, we got Liz Truss looking manic while saying things like "pork markets" and "anti-growth coalition". Biotech, where my experience is, struggles to hire because of the absurd cost of living, even in places like Babraham which is very rural and has a small biotech cluster. It's not well connected and this could be remedied with enough determination from a sensible government.

Again, EU membership was never an impediment to a sensible industrial or infrastructural policy.

The other thing is that I struggle to identify a group more deserving of contempt than left wing Brexiters. I'm not referring to traditional Labour voters but those on the economic left who voted for what was essentially a Conservative disaster capitalist project. Brexit was never going to be based around workers, jobs, or unions but by the whims of press barons, oligarchs and Conservative party donors. This was fairly obvious at the time. David Cameron implemented devastating cuts so the idea that voting for Brexit would improve on that was patently ridiculous.

• Advertisement

They are building an (albeit slow) rail line from Oxford to Cambridge. Which will be wonderful as it is currently quicker to go on train via London, though hideously more expensive. It's an hour from Oxford to Paddington and 45 min Cambridge to King's Cross. Not sure high speed rail would add much there.

The real problem in both Oxford and Cambridge are their green belts that completely constrain any development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭rock22

@ancapailldorcha "Poor form to just dump a link here with a snappy comment."

I don't know what you problem is with my post. This isn't the first time I have gotten a similar comment from you. I noticed you had no problem discussing the post and its' content with others.

Don't worry , I won't be posting here again. I know not to cross the moderators.

He literally tells you what his problem is with your post 🤣

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod Note: You failed to add anything worthwhile to your post. By the time I saw it, it had been responded to so I left it. However, I would have otherwise removed it as it did not meet the standards.

Secondly, as you claim to know how moderation works, then you will also be aware that the comment from ACD was clearly not in a mod capacity but was a normal observation so here was no need for a snide remark.

---end----

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

“MPs are not chosen by 'the people' - they are chosen by their local constituency parties: thirty-five men in grubby raincoats or thirty-five women in silly hats.” - Sir Humphrey

And this can be bypassed if they've been parachuted into a safe sea.

On the radio here I've heard ads advising business about how to get help for when the UK implement more of the rules next year.

Even parachuted-in candidates have to get through the local constituency party.

It works like this:

• To seek nomination for the Tory party in any seat you must first be pre-approved by Conservative Central Office. They look at your "skills and attributes", and supposedly also do due diligence checks, although as we know these are not infallible.
    • You can then present yourself to one (or more) local parties to seek nomination.
    • A local party committee draws up a longlist of (up to 8) potential candidates from among those seeking nomination. But they travel to national headquarters do do this, and they do it with the, um, support of national party officials. It's at this point that the national party can use its influence to ensure that a favoured candidate gets onto the longlist for a safe seat. They also ensure that only one favoured candidates is on the longlist for each safe seat - they don't want favoured candidates knocking each other out.
    • The longlisted candidates are then interviewed by the local party executive, who narrow it down to a shortlist, usually of 2 or 3. There's no formal mechanism by which the national party can intervene to ensure the favoured candidate is on the shortlist, but no doubt there are informal channels through which persuasion can be exerted, if necessary.
    • The local party then holds a special general meeting, at which any party member can attend and vote. The meeting chooses one of the shortlisted individuals to be the candidate.

This full process only operates in a constituency that doesn't have sitting Tory MP or in which the sitting Tory MP is standing down. If there's a sitting Tory MP who wants to stand again, the local party executive can simply readopt them as the candidate without any long- or shortlisting of alternative candidates, and it is rare for this not to happen.

The Labour process is slightly different. There is no pre-approval of potential candidates; any party member of more than 12 months standing, and who is a member of a trade union, can seek a nomination. But the longlist for each constituency is not drawn up by the local party, but by the national party, so they can always put a favoured candidate on the longlist for a safe seat. The longlist is narrowed down to a shortlist by a local party committee, and a hustings is held at which rank-and-file members of the local party vote to choose a candidate.

In both cases, the national party can ensure you're on the longlist, and can exert some indirect influence to try to ensure that you make it to the shortlist. But you still have to face the local party members, who will have the choice of at least one other nominee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Hardly a surprise. Imperial units and blue passports are easy ways to shout independence when you are insecure about it.

Same reason Dev gave condolences over Hitler dying, it is to make a show of independence when you know, for economic reasons, you are not truly independent. Ireland largely had to follow UK rules in the 1940s (and later for a bit) due to economic reasons and now the UK needs to follow EU rules for economic reasons and so look for symbols to try and claim independence with.

Nearly smashed my phone against a wall a few years ago listening to Eamonn McCann on a podcast talking absolute waffle about "Lexit".

"Useful idiot" does not even begin to describe anyone thick enough to fall for that whopper.

Did it ever occur to any of them to ponder why the UK was always trying to opt out of EU social legislation and worker protection?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭yagan

Visiting an old Canarian haunt Ive returned to every few years and it's really noticeable how many union jack type businesses have shut up.

Interestingly where there were no curry houses before now there's several.

One of complaints the curry house owners had before brexit was about how hard it had become to hire curry house chefs, so I wonder if some have pivoted away from Britain.

• Advertisement

Sure, the spectre and vocality of them but no proper thorough investigation - at least from ‘official Ireland’

similar, in fact, to Dublin City centre crime and lack of policing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hilarious. Must be a parody.

We have control over monetary policy do we? lol

The Bundestag has control over our monetary policy, make no mistake. Through the EU they call the shots. They also get to approve our budgets before Irish people even see it - did you know that?

Germany introduced before WW1 the concept of nations that were not nations. It's called "limited sovereignty". States pretending to be sovereign when they were not really sovereign - as in Ukraine (but it was first tried in a fake Kingdom of Poland in 1917). It's a very good idea implemented to perfection in countries like Belgium, the Baltic states and Ireland.

You have a pretence that this country controls it's own sovereignty and destiny. It doesn't.

There is no point in lying to yourself or pretending to yourself anymore.

Our politicians have surrendered our sovereignty (sometimes with the backing of the Irish people based on lies or being economical with the truth) to further their own personal ambitions.

Our country is left a colony. Make no mistake, that is what we are.

Nonsense from beginning to end.

For starters the Bundestag does not control the ECB.

Disgusting that you would describe modern-day Ireland as a colony, when it actually used to be one and this directly led to the suffering and death of millions of Irish people.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Considering you spent the guts of 7 years predicting Ireland's ejection from the Single Market on this very thread, at every single news article that confirmed your bias, perhaps you should take the time to reflect that your opinion on EU matters mightn't be launching from sturdy foundation. Especially the histrionic chatter about the Bundestag controlling our monetary policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Especially as the main reason we joined the EU in the first place was because the UK did. And for quite a period after, had the UK left we would have left before. It is why Dev felt the need to make a show of neutrality at Hitler's death because he knew we were not independent. We had to take whatever rules the British implemented for themselves or suffer. Now we have a say in those rules and get to discuss them.

And if we don't like it enough we can also leave and just suffer the financial consequences. I would not advocate such a position for obvious reasons but it should be stressed we have the freedom to not enter financial agreements that benefit us or to leave them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

epecially right now when the bundestag was told by the verfasungsgericht, it cant even controll its own budget the way it wants, as it does not confirm with the law ....

• Advertisement

Problem is "Ireland is controlled by the verfasungsgericht" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Through the EU they call the shots.

Obviously it has been abundantly clear long before now, but this is the final nail in the coffin of any idea whatsoever that you have the slightest idea how the EU actually functions. This, of course, is the same bullheaded ignorance that led Brexiteers to think that the solution to the problems they created lay in Berlin and not Brussels or Strasbourg (or even Dublin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭yagan

Oh look, same auld brexity "zee Germans" tropes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: Do not post in this thread again - you have been told numerous times to stop posting obvious false information to further your anti-EU bias

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Oh dear, you have picked the wrong country to try peddling that nonsense, even Farage eventually figured that one out. You see Ireland and Switzerland are unique in Europe in having a sovereign people and it is very hard to convince such citizen that they don't have control when they vote on the strategic decisions for their country, reject international treaties and so on and so fourth.

• So the Bundestag never controlled a currency, the Deutsche Bundesbank on the other hand did
    • And the Fiscal Compact compact applies to all Euro Group states, with the same rules being applied to all and approved by the Irish voters
    • We'll just assume you are clueless on how the EU is actually governed to save time
    • Your lack of knowledge of the German state from Bismarck on wards is obvious

You can pretend of that all this stuff is true if you wish to demonstrate your gullibility in believe such nonsense, but you are trying to sell it in the wrong country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Remember that glorious USA trade deal that was going to unlock all those Brexit benefits? Yea; Biden was rude and actually required UK to have some worker right standards which derailed it; but don't fret in 2025 Trump will surely give the surviving Tory government the deal they always wanted (but failed to agree the first time around; this time Trump is much more open for free trade surely)...

Joe Biden has dashed hopes of a post-Brexit transatlantic trade deal with the UK as he looks to bolster US industry as part of his bid for re-election.

Since taking office, the 46th president has made a point of pushing for worker protections in all international trade agreements, but the lack of robust labour standards in an outline for a US-UK proposal that circulated earlier this year raised hackles among Senate Democrats

The first source also described the American negotiators as being “very focused” on “labour standards”, as well as “on environmental issues [and] these very worthy things”.

Taken from the Independent article here.

Imagine the Yanks questioning your labour standards.

To be fair, it is brazenly political nonsense. UK labour standards are not good, but being dictated to by the US is a joke. They have no moral authority to be doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,614 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The UK has clothing sweat shops, their labour standards are that poor.

Nobody is dictating anything to anyone. If you want to do business with me on favourable terms I can agree to do so, or not.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I doubt it's out of any concern for poor downtrodden UK workers. More just to protect the competitiveness of equivalent US workers/jobs/industry.

You can accept cheap foreign imports ignoring local working conditions (as the USA and Europe has done for decades) or set terms that protect your own industries but means the product isn't as cheap when it reaches the consumer (previously tariffs have been the main weapon to ensure this, but working conditions is a valid way as well).

Ultimately the stronger partner can set such terms in any negotiation, and the weaker partner is always free to walk away.

They are dictating terms of a potential agreement, so I would disagree. Everyone is, of course, free to walk away from it.

It is the reality of negotiation, and I have no sympathy for the UK. I still think its a bit farcical for the US to be insisting on minimum labour standards in an agreement with the UK. I suspect they would ask for them in an agreement with the EU also.

I would reject any framing of this as "the UK's standard are so bad even the US won't do business with them" though.

Seems to me that the Americans would rather the UK reduce what labour standards we have here rather than encourage more unionisation and better conditions. Unless of course they want to make UK products and services less competitive for the American market. I'm delighted that this has been delayed though given the current state of the Tory party. They can't function as a unit, never mind negotiate a deal with the world's most powerful country.

The US seeks minimum labour standards in all its trade deals. Trade deals have to be approved by Congress, remember, and domestic support for trade deals is eroded if they are seem simply as mechanisms to make the offshoring of production even easier than it already is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But surely the UK, by dint of being in the EU for so long, has good labour laws? Holidays, sick pay, redundancy, health and safety etc.

Agreeing to minimum labour law levels shouldn't be any reason to hold up a trade deal.

Lots of other reasons no doubt, but labour laws seems an odd one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement